You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide to Oranos
posted 06 September 2004 01:05 PM EDT (US)   
The Guide to Oranos

By Fenris 77

Oranos is considered an 'overpowered' or 'n00b' god. Yes he can be overpowered at times, but a noob god? Definetly not.

Let's look at his bonuses.

• Special Ability to Build Sky Passages

People say that Sky Passages are a waste of recourses and can only be used effectivly in 2v2-3v3 games. I'll go more into detail later in the Guide.

• Shares visibility to all settlements with allies

This is excellent. You can set your whole gameplan in the first 10 seconds by seeing all settlements. The Greek cease + TC steal is infamous, but what about the oranos archaic TC steal? This strategy will be later in the thread also.

• Human Military Units move faster

This is a great bonus. Great bonus for raiding.

• God Power: Shockwave. Generates a shockwave which stuns the units of your enemy.

This is the best archaic gp ever (imo). This can win battles for you if you micro right, stun 10 gold villas while your turmas are throwing their pointy-sticks at them, and knock some units onto the cliffs at Alfheim

• Technology: Safe Passage. Sky Passages have -25% wood cost, -20% gold cost, +1 ranged attack & +6 LOS.

Only really useful unless you are planning on building 2-3 more SPs later.

The Classical Age

Prometheus vs Oceanus

Let's look at Oceanus' stats.

God Power Carnivora. Generates plants which eats enemy units.

This is a very underrated gp. It can really hurt buildings and can be useful in chokepoints.

Myth Unit Servant. The Servant is a unit which heals ships, and other sea units within their LOS.

This unit is only good because it's free. Until you can get some ships out this is good for harassing the enemy's ships.

Myth Unit Caladria. The Caladria is a flying unit, which like the Servant, has the ability to heal units within its LOS.

This is slightly better than the Servant. These are useful for healing your turma after you raid with them.

• Technologies:

• Bite of the Shark

Murmillo has +15% Hack Damage.

Great tech. Because you should only go Oceanus on water maps, you should have tons of food for murmillo.

• Weightless Mace

Katapeltes has +10% Speed & +15% Hack Damage.

Good tech for when you are against Norse. You should only make Katas against the norse unless you need a hard calvary counter (like against poseidon).

Let's now look at Prometheus.

God Power: Valor. Transforms a group of general units into heroes, instantly.

Best classical gp ever. Extremly useful at your first atttack because of free mu.

Myth Unit Promethean. A tough myth unit, which splits off into mini-versions of itself when it is killed.

Best classical mu ever. They can be easily massed and can be useful for raiding once they split.

• Technologies

• Alluvial Clay

Promethean +30% HP.

Good tech. Get this one if you are going to go heavy on prommies (you should).

• Heart of the Titans

Hero Upgrades cost -20% Wood, Food & Gold.

Get it if you think you will need it. Against a mu spammer this can be useful, but valor will last you through classic. Maybe a good tech once advancing to Heroic.

The Choice:

Go Prometheus on land maps and go Oceanus on water.

The Heroic Age

Theia vs Hyperion

Let's look at Theia's stats first.

God Power: Hesperides. Generates a tree where you can create dryads. You may use this GP two times in a game, yet you can only have a maximum of five dryads in total. The Hesperides tree can be controlled by other players, if they have their units too close to it.

Excellent gp. One of my favorites. The tree blocks gps, produces dryads, and adds an exotic look to any setting

Myth Unit Stymphalian Bird. A flying unit with an excellent ranged attack, which can only be attacked by ranged units.

This unit is very fun to use. Great for raiding and good for taking out infantry and myth units.

• Technologies

• Lemurian Descendants

+9 LOS of all human soldiers.

Adds lots of los to units. I never get it.

• Poseidon's Secrets

Cavalry +10% Speed & +15% Hack Damage.

Very good tech. A must if you are going to be using contarious.

• Lance of Stones

Contarius Hereos have +15% Hack Damage.

This tech is so missunderstood. People think this adds to the normal contarious' attack, but it only upgrades the hero contarious attack. It's pretty much a waste.

God Power: Chaos. Changes the sentiment of a group of enemy units, causing them to attack any units nearby.

Bad gp. Only useful if it catches a mu.

Myth Unit Satyr. Armed with two spears, the Satyr is a slow unit which hurls spears at enemies.

I think this was proven as the worst heroic MU ever by ChimeraArtemis.

Myth Unit

Nereid. A shark riding unit, using the shark's bite to attack other ships and land units.

This is a good sea unit, but its not worth going hyperion for this mu.

• Technologies

• Gemino

Doubles the number of Javelins thrown by Satyrs.

Makes a horrible MU just bad.

• Heroic Renewal

Allows Heroes to regenerate.

This tech is okay, not really useful unless you have squads of heroes running around.

The Choice:

Always go Theia. Hyperion has horrible gp and myth unit(s). Theia techs make your contarious a force to be reckoned with and Stymphalian Birds and Dryads really rock.

Mythic Age

Hekate vs Helios

Let's take a look at Hekate.

God Power: Tartarian Gate. Generates a gate to the underworld lodging creatures which attack everybody.

Myth Unit Lampades. A witch-like Myth unit which can convert enemy units to a unit similar to units casted by the 'Chaos' God Power.

I love this MU. With any micro at all it can change the tide of a battle.

• Technologies

• Asper Blood

Lampades +25 Pierce area damage

A useless tech that makes the lampades blood hurt units. Don't get it.

Thanks to a192 for the info.

• Mythic Rejuvenation

2.0 HP/second Myth Unit regeneration rate

Excellent tech. Great for titan battles.

• Celerity

40% Training rate of Myth Units

This tech is basically Hel's myth training tech. Makes them pop out almost instantly. a192 has a good point that you could always just build another temple instead.

Let's see what Helios has for us.

God Power: Vortex. Teleport all military units of a player to another point on the map.

Excellent gp. Good for getting titan gates, wonders, defending an outlying tc, you name it.

Myth Unit Man O'War. Similar to a Jellyfish, Man O'War is a sea unit which uses electrical bolts to attack enemy ships and units.

Terrible mu. Never get anymore than your free one.

Myth Unit Hekagigantes. A strong, multi-armed unit, the Hekagigantes pounds the ground around him, causing minor earthquakes.

Amazing MU. A mini siege weapon. Good for breaking a enemy formation.

Myth Building Mirror Tower. A tower which harnesses sunshine into laser-like rays.

It's okay. Really overrated. Money better spent on a tower or two.

• Technologies

• Petrified Wood

Siege Units -15% Hack Damage Vulnerability.

Makes it easier to split your siege from your army and take out a tc or some military buildings.

• Halo of the Sun

Fire Siphons have +25% Crush Damage, and Fire Ships have +20% Hack Damage.

Makes your fire siphons the best siege in the game. Excellent tech.

The Choice:

Go Hekate if you are at a standstill and use tartarian on a back tc. Go Helios if you need some powerful siege to break through a tower spammers (Hades) tower wall.

Now we are past the boring part. Here are the strategies and build orders for them.

1. The Oranos Boom

Get a tc while advancing to classical and pump villies from both.

1. Food
    2. Food
    3. Wood
    4. (Manor) Gold
    5. Food
    6. Gold
    7. Wood

----------
    Prometheus
    ----------
    Make a TC while advancing to classical.

2. The Oracle Rush

This is a sort of kronos rush only you will have a good econemy and ruin theirs.

1. (Economic Guild) Food Get Hunting Dogs
    2. Food
    3. Wood
    4. (Manor) Gold
    5. Food
    6. Food Temple with wood villager, gold villager to food until you get 400.
    7. Food
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Prometheus switch 2 food villagers to wood, and 2 food villagers to wood. So you should have 3 on food, 2 on wood, and 2 on gold.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Use valor on oracles once you advance and destroy towers and anything out of tc fire.

3. Oranos raid

Advance before 5:30 and raid them hard.

1. Food
    2. Food
    3. Wood
    4. (Manor) Gold
    5. Food Temple
    6. Food
    7. Gold
    8. Wood
    --------------------------------------------
    Prometheus switch one food villager to wood.
    --------------------------------------------

4. Oranos Water

Advance around 5:30 and win the water, while having some turma to raid.

1. (Dock) Wood Make 1 fishing ship if you have to walk to the fish (Highland) and two if they are by your tc (Medit)
    2. Food
    3. (Manor) Food
    4. Wood
    5. Food Temple
    6. Food
    7. (Manor) Gold
    8. Gold
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Prometheus/Oceanus switch 2 food villas to gold and 2 to wood.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Some Random Tips:

1. USE Heroic units.

They are very good. Most Oranos players I see justm ake turma and murmillo in heroic and ignore the Arcus, Contarious and Destroyer.

2. USE Destroyers

These guys are nasty and can kill tc as fast as zeus hoplites. If you get about 10 of them its a good idea to have your army attack while going to an outlying tc with the destroyers.

3. Unit Combos

Here are some unit combos I use against the differnt civs.

Greek:

1 Counter Barracks Cheiroballista

1 Counter Barracks Turma

1 Barracks Murmillo

Against Poseidon do this:

1 Counter Barracks Turma

1 Counter Barracks Katapeltes

1 Barracks Murmillo

Norse:

1 Counter Barracks Turma

1 Counter Barracks Katapeltes

1 Barracks Murmillo

Egyptian

1 Counter Barracks Turma

1 Barracks Murmillo

Atlantean

1 Counter Barracks Turma

1 Counter Barracks Cheiro Ballista

1 Counter Barracks Turma

1 Barracks Murmillo

I hope you enjoyed it

I'll be adding some more later.

Rating: 1750

Check out my Bellerophon Guide and my Myrmidon Guide

Member of the TpC_ Clan

[This message has been edited by Fenris77 (edited 09-07-2004 @ 10:23 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 06 September 2004 01:15 PM EDT (US)     1 / 25  
    good to see a guide not written by a nub ~__~

You will probably get a few flames from said nubs because you are talking about this god

i personally prefer the oracles + proms 4:30-5:00 attack when pawning with oranos.

[This message has been edited by Sam_Ham (edited 09-06-2004 @ 01:17 PM).]

posted 06 September 2004 01:18 PM EDT (US)     2 / 25  
    Great guide! I used to love Oranos but I love Greek's play style much more then the atlanteans... even though I won way more with Oranos and suck with Zeus

Great Guide!

posted 06 September 2004 01:22 PM EDT (US)     3 / 25  
    ^^dont listen to him..heres a guide written by someone else(some expert if i recall) that explains to the point on how to become a 1800 oranos .

1) Click "Create Citizen." Hotkey: V
    2) Put initial citizen on food (preferably hunting)
    3) Send oracles to 3 different spots on map.
    4) Click Auto-queue on your Town Center and put Waypoint on food

[At this point you may take a five to ten minute break as your oracles and citizens and town center do your work for you. No need to get overstressed. Do some exercises to get the blood flowing, maybe take a short nap. Hungry? Grab a Snickers. Return to game before 3rd citizen is created].

5) Put a citizens on wood, gold, and food as needed
    [note: don't forget to make your Economic Guild! It's important to get upgrades, even though it takes extra "micro" to build one! Also, do not forget to build manors as needed. All the experts do, and it's a key to success with the Atlanteans! You don't want to be "housed," do you?]

6) Tell a citizen to build a Temple. Retask him afterwards.
    7) Advance to Classical with Prometheus, no matter what map or civ your opponent is.
    Reach Classical. Build 3 Counter-rax. Repeat-build Turmas nonstop. Repeat-build Prometheans nonstop. Repeat-build Citizens nonstop. Raid the enemy.

9) If your opponent builds all cavs and researches pierce armor upgrades, laugh as your Turmas devour him with Shockwave. If he is really good, you may consider getting one katapelte for each 20 raiding cavalry he has.

10) Build an Armory and advance to Heroic.
    11) If the game is still going at this point, don't bother conventional fighting. That's boring and dull. Your turmas lose their luster in this age, anyway. Build a market and advance to Mythic under Hekate.

12) Reach Mythic, cast Tartarian gate on his town to destroy 1/2 his buildings and 1/2 his villagers before he kills the gate. While he's busy trying to survive, place a Hesperides tree, research Secrets of the Titans, place gate, build it. Stomp all over your inferior opponent with Megalon and pray that he doesn't get out Godzilla. Be sure to say "gg" BEFORE your opponent resigns, not after. And remember: use god powers early and often!

If you follow this guide, you shall surely be 1800 in no time! Unless you meet too many Isis players...but that's for a different guide to cover! Happy hunting...

posted 06 September 2004 01:49 PM EDT (US)     4 / 25  

Quote:

9) If your opponent builds all cavs and researches pierce armor upgrades, laugh as your Turmas devour him with Shockwave. If he is really good, you may consider getting one katapelte for each 20 raiding cavalry he has.

HEHEHE So true. They own

posted 06 September 2004 01:56 PM EDT (US)     5 / 25  
    I read all this stuff and all these guides and then I go to do it and suck. I just can't seem to win... I used to do better as Oranos but I like Zeus a lot more for his hop/myth units/GP's ... but ... Maybe I should go back to Oranos even though I don't really like the atlantean style...
    posted 06 September 2004 02:16 PM EDT (US)     6 / 25  
    lol @ carwash I think it was flank who did that hehehe.

I"ll be adding some more in-depth strats tonight

Member of the TpC_ Clan

[This message has been edited by Fenris77 (edited 09-06-2004 @ 02:17 PM).]

posted 06 September 2004 10:08 PM EDT (US)     7 / 25  
    Fenris77, you made few minor mistakes on mythic tech.

Quote:

Asper Blood
    Lampades +25 Pierce area damage
    A decent tech if you decide to mass lampades.

The fact is when a Lampades with tech Asper Blood dies, all units within 8 range will receive pierce area damage, like Scarab's sepcial.
    Not worth to research it at all!

Quote:

Celerity

Great tech if you want to mass MUs.

I would suggest to save your resource and build another temple instead.

I am appreciate you write a oranos guide for us anyway.

Quote:

7) Advance to Classical with Prometheus, no matter what map or civ your opponent is.
    Reach Classical. Build 3 Counter-rax. Repeat-build Turmas nonstop. Repeat-build Prometheans nonstop. Repeat-build Citizens nonstop. Raid the enemy.

The guide is fun but too sad It is true. You can outnumber and raid crazy all other civ with turma + Prometheans only. And nobody pick other classical minor god.
    That's why people think Oranos is noob god.

posted 07 September 2004 01:56 AM EDT (US)     8 / 25  
    turmas sux.
    posted 07 September 2004 06:05 AM EDT (US)     9 / 25  

Quote:

turmas sux.

...except for the part...where they are good raiders?

posted 07 September 2004 09:48 AM EDT (US)     10 / 25  
    @ a192

Thanks

I'll edit it. I got all the stats off of the front page. They really need to update that.

EDIT:

Should I add some recs?

Member of the TpC_ Clan

[This message has been edited by Fenris77 (edited 09-07-2004 @ 10:24 AM).]

posted 08 September 2004 01:58 AM EDT (US)     11 / 25  
    turmas arent very good raiders but oranos turmas are decent. very very fast and range, crapped up version of centaur. but turmas rarely kill many vills. 10 turmas cant even kill a cititzen in a shot. turmas arent very op anymore, but oranos is still the opest god followed by isis then kronos then zeus then thor then ra then...
    posted 08 September 2004 10:17 AM EDT (US)     12 / 25  
    Yes, you have to have about 15 turma to kill 1 villa in one volley. But shockwave works great on hunters and gold gatherers outside of tc fire.

Member of the TpC_ Clan
    posted 08 September 2004 10:33 AM EDT (US)     13 / 25  

Quote:

Quote:

Celerity

Great tech if you want to mass MUs.

I would suggest to save your resource and build another temple instead.

I am appreciate you write a oranos guide for us anyway.

I don't know how much the Tech costs, but assuming that the cost of a Temple in Total Resources is similar to that Tech, plus some favour, then surely it's worth getting as soon as Building another Temple won't increase your production rate by 40%.

1 -> 2 = 100%
    2 -> 3 = 50%
    3 -> 4 = 33%

Therefore, it is more beneficial to get this Tech instead of going from 3-4 Temples. But remember, this only includes Temples that are in use (usually the Temple you build in Archaic is not used, unless you forward built it - especially as Norse)

Also, it helps panic building since sometimes you dont want 2/3 Lampades, but only one...

[c=red]It's worth a note that Hel's Tech (-95% MU Build Time) is beneficial as soon as you've made your second Templep/c]

[This message has been edited by Quircus (edited 09-08-2004 @ 10:35 AM).]

posted 08 September 2004 10:46 AM EDT (US)     14 / 25  
    The -40% training isn't the greatest tech but is still useful if you get to the point where you are queuing units several deep in late mythic. With the decreased training time there is a better chance the MUs will pop out instead of something less powerful.

Guide to Debugging RMS
    Download my RMS here
    Help improve RMS reviewing here
    A monk I need a monk.
    I thought therefore I was.
    posted 08 September 2004 10:48 AM EDT (US)     15 / 25  
    nice guide
    bump
    posted 08 September 2004 02:43 PM EDT (US)     16 / 25  
    turmas are the best raiders in the game putting rc to shame....
    posted 08 September 2004 02:48 PM EDT (US)     17 / 25  
    Sadly true

Member of the TpC_ Clan
    posted 08 September 2004 06:18 PM EDT (US)     18 / 25  
    a guide to wining with Oranos

is like posting directions on how to find yer ass with a map.

posted 08 September 2004 09:49 PM EDT (US)     19 / 25  

Quote:

The -40% training isn't the greatest tech but is still useful if you get to the point where you are queuing units several deep in late mythic. With the decreased training time there is a better chance the MUs will pop out instead of something less powerful.

Interesting debate here: Is it -40% training time is useful tech?
    I would say all tech are useful but "Celerity" tech is not worth to research it(maybe except in DM) I prefer to save my favor to use on building titan, convert hero, develop other useful tech. In term of number, -40% training time is good for other military units but not for MU. For example, I have 3 temples without develop "Celerity" while you have 2 temples with "Celerity"tech. (same resources but you need to spend 10 more favor) Yes, if both of us create 6 MU, you will save for 4 sec. The problem is favor collection is not fast enough to keep flow of MU. Even you have 4TC, total favor you collect in 1 min = 0.09*4*60 = 21.6 only. Unlike other tech, like "Levy Barracks Soldiers", you can continue to pump out human units if you have gold, food and wood. That's why I think this tech is not worth to research it!
    BTW, how many people actually will research this tech in RM?

posted 09 September 2004 05:09 PM EDT (US)     20 / 25  
    I'll add it.

Theris264
    former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
    "An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
    posted 10 September 2004 02:08 AM EDT (US)     21 / 25  
    RC are better raiders.
    posted 10 September 2004 02:20 AM EDT (US)     22 / 25  
    nothing compares to chariot archer raiders.
    posted 10 September 2004 05:25 AM EDT (US)     23 / 25  
    centaur is best raider vs atties by a lot
    posted 10 September 2004 07:06 AM EDT (US)     24 / 25  
    Sekhmet CA Raiders own Atty villies due to the huge range and high attack.

Proud member of the Orion Clan
    Orion_Tok
    Check out my Japanese Civilisation Design Here!
    posted 10 September 2004 10:56 AM EDT (US)     25 / 25  
    You could buy 4 turma and you could buy 1 prommie for the cost of a centaur (for the wood cost).

Member of the TpC_ Clan

[This message has been edited by Fenris77 (edited 09-10-2004 @ 10:56 AM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Guide to Oranos
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames