You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: why thor?
posted 27 September 2004 12:58 PM EDT (US)   
i don't understand why anyone would play thor over odin unless you want to do a pretty much all dwarf build and make a million ulfsarks. what does thor have on odin?

There is only one true God, but since He is not in AOM, I play as Kronos.
Replies:
posted 27 September 2004 01:19 PM EDT (US)     1 / 9  
  • Dwarves cost 60 instead of 70 gold
  • Thor STARTS with dwarves instead of villes
  • Thor can build an armory in the archaic age (at an extremely cheap price) and research an entire line of improvments above and beyond what any other civ can research
  • Thor can get flaming weapons and battle boars, odin can't
  • Thor's Dwarves gather food and wood faster then Odin's or Loki's dwarves
  • posted 27 September 2004 01:58 PM EDT (US)     2 / 9  
    And I play Thor mainly because of bragi ulfs. If you are facing an elly spammer you are pooped without bragi ulfs.
    posted 27 September 2004 04:30 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9  
    Thor has a good flexible eco, while odin's is very hunt dependant. Thor also is liked because of Bragi's ulf upgrade and FW. Thor also has the famous FW+ragnarok combo.

Odin doesn't have that much better of a classical, a worse one without hunting. Odin lacks bragi ulfs to deal with elephants. Odin lacks trolls do deal with infantry. Odin doesn't get FW, which is a very powerful god power.

Nick: Eten.
    Gods: All of them!
    Vanilla.
    posted 27 September 2004 04:36 PM EDT (US)     4 / 9  

Quote:

And I play Thor mainly because of bragi ulfs.

Exactly. Odin is pretty much screwed if he waits long enough for his opponent to mass eles.

posted 27 September 2004 06:31 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9  
    Yep, to have a chance at countering eles you need bragis ulfs.
    posted 27 September 2004 07:49 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9  
    Read Thor Article(LONG). It shows all the pros/cons of thor, how to use him, god path, strategies, etc. If you're interested in Thor or are curious why he's good, go there.

[This message has been edited by Meanotaur (edited 09-27-2004 @ 07:50 PM).]

posted 27 September 2004 11:12 PM EDT (US)     7 / 9  
    IMO thor is better cause of forsetti for anti loki or attie rushing. His armory bonus outdose odin's hill fort unit health bonus, and it works for all units. His eco is also much better thx to dwarves being ubercheap. His one hunting tech is better then odin's bonus because on nonhunt maps you can not get it and not completely loose a bonus and it is way better then faster ulfs. Also it is uberhelpful against set and big huntables like ellies. And as mentioned bragi is life for norse against any cav. Flaming weapons is godly compared to frost and ww.
    Water maps are really easy for thor cause cheaper dwarves equals less tc idle which causes more resources.

Thor is just more versatile cause of dwarves, more balanced army cause of armory (and cause norse full pop army vs. any other civ full pop army stinks) and bragi for killing cav(trust me a hard counter pwns).

posted 28 September 2004 01:51 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9  
    Remember Ulfsarks are the base of all Nordic Empire....
    posted 28 September 2004 11:51 PM EDT (US)     9 / 9  
    I like Thor because is so versatile, it does everything good, with cheap upgrades.

you can easily get the first shield very very early, also the first weapon.

when thor i always manage to be ahead of my enemy in upgrades, sometimes i can stay safely in classical, when my enemy has to rush to heroic once i get more and more upgrades.

Thor's hersirs can stop Loki hersirs pretty easily

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » why thor?
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames