You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Quick Guide to Hyperion
posted 03 November 2004 10:38 PM EDT (US)   
I'm new to this guide making thing, but i was bored. I guess i have too much time on my hands.

A Quick Guide to Hyperion

Hyperion is commonly known as one of the worst heroic gods in AoM. In this guide, I will try to explain how hyperion might be good in some games… well, very few games…

First, let’s look at hyperion’s god power:

Chaos

Target an enemy group making them hostile to all.

This god power is quite mediocre for a heroic god power. It makes a group of enemies hostile, attacking any player. It usually affects 3 or 4 units, (like infantry, archers, etc.) and sometimes a myth unit. It will usually choose an mu when used though. The practicality of this god power varies. It can be used to thin out the ranks of an opponent’s army, can be used near your opponents base on his siege to cause havoc, and many other uses. It can only be used twice, so be careful of how you use it. Chaosed units lose their upgrades. After some simple testing, I notice that the chaosed units usually attack enemy units rather than your own; well usually whoever is closer, but also the chaosed units will not attack buildings! If you are being chased by a chaosed myth unit, simply garrison it inside a building and ungarrison it as soon as the myth unit is busy somewhere else. The cool down time is 4:00.

Now hyperion’s myth units:

The Satyr:

Stats:
Cost: 225 Wood, 18 Favour.
Pop: 3
HP: 400
Speed: 3.75
Hack armour: 50%
Pierce armour: 50%
Pierce damage: 12
Range: 16
Special: Throws 3 javelins
Upgrade: Gemino- Doubles amount of javelins thrown in special attack.
Bonuses: x 3 vs Myth Units; x 0.25 vs heroes

Not exactly the greatest myth unit… Fortunately it costs only wood and favour, much like the troll. It is really rather expensive in wood though. It is not very cost effective, but I think it is quite pop effective.
Poor damage, poor special, it sounds like a pretty horrible myth unit, eh?
Even gemino does not help this myth unit out much, as most of the javelins still miss.
The best uses for this myth unit are for solid ranged support, especially in box formation. A good thing about satyrs is that they also have reasonable hack armour, giving them a chance against other close combat units. Satyrs also can be microed fairly easily and can take myth units out quickly. With a good meatshield, satyrs can be reasonably good support, as their special can do reasonable damage to a large human wave. Simply put:
4 satyrs x 6 javelins (special) = 24 javelins x 12 damage= 284 damage.
Still, most of the javelins miss, but it still does reasonably well against a group of enemies.

This myth unit does fairly well against myth units and titans, but is horrible against cavalry and buildings. This myth unit is NOT recommended for raiding; it is too slow to be useful for that purpose.

Nereid

Cost: 200 Gold 15 Favour
Pop: 3
Hack Damage: 25
HP: 400
Hack Armor: 30%
Pierce Armor: 50%
Speed: 5.0 meters/second
Bonuses: Damage x 0.5 vs Heros; x7 vs Myth units
Special: 150 hack damage

Wow. x 7 bonus vs myth units! The nereid is clearly the champion of the sea when facing myth units. Although VERY poor hack armour, the nereid does fairly well at sea. Its special does massive damage to myth units and okay damage to ships. This myth unit is quite pop and cost effective. Try to target this vs water mus or siege ships, even arrow ships, but try to avoid those awful hammer ships.

Hyperion’s upgrades:

Gemino- doubles amount of satyr’s javelins thrown in special attack

This tech changes 3 javelins in special to 6. As said, this tech is pretty bad, as satyrs are pretty bad, and the fact is also that this tech is expensive. Get this if you use A LOT of satyrs or have plenty of resources.

Heroic Renewal- allows heroes to regenerate. Rate is 1.5hp/sec.

This tech is quite expensive, but can be useful in several cases. The regeneration rate for heroes is reasonably fast, and it requires absolutely no micro to use. Unfortunately, this tech only affects heroes, and if you are attie, you should not be wasting so many resources on making heroes unless you are against MANY myth units or have too many resources that you do not know what to do with. I believe that the rate is constant, whether the units are moving or not, but i stand to be corrected. Can combo well with Kronos's god path- Prometheus->Hyperion.

Summary:

When compared to Rheia and Theia, he seems to be the worst of them, as theia has her super cavalry and stymphalian birds as well as dryads, and rheia has her living siege unit, the behemoth, as well as faster regeneration rate. All the same, I love to use hyperion’s satyrs as I always have extra wood and favour; as well, hyperion’s god power is usually more useful than rheia’s, as it affects a multitude of enemy units, and can definitely thin out your opponents army a bit sometimes. If you are low on gold, high on wood, and don’t use cavalry, go with hyperion instead of theia (Well, you can’t use dryads if you are low on gold! Satyrs cost only wood too!). If you are Kronos, and need some solid ranged support to your army or your opponent is using many myth units, definitely go with Hyperion for satyr’s mu bonus or hyperion’s hero upgrade. If you are on a map with a lot of water, and your opponent likes to use naval myth units, go with hyperion for the nereid. Remember to use chaos wisely, like to thin an opponent’s army out, or to use it on an opponent’s siege near their base.

*Note: there are WAY better myth unit guides available on these units, such as artemischimera's guide on the satyr and FunClan_zero's guide on the nereid. these are the links:

Artemischimera's guide on the Satyr
http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=11,17627,,all

FunClan_zero's guide on the Nereid
http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=11,20014,,all

Eh, my first guide. Constructive criticism accepted; flames not accepted. Heh, tell me how you like it or something I may have missed!

Edit: A new discovery about chaos! This is not that major, but its a discovery nonetheless...

Lets say Team A casts chaos on Team B's group of toxotes.
3 out of the 8 are chaosed. the 3 that were chaosed begin shooting at the closest units nearby: Team B's Archers.
As these chaosed units are shooting at team b's units, team b's units WILL NOT begin shooting back, unless they are microed to do so, or there are no other units to kill.

In other words:
Priority of Team B:1. Do what ordered to do (micro)
2. Kill Team A units.
3. Kill other hostile units.

Using this fact, a unit with high pierce armour, such as a fire siphon, being attacked by 8 toxotes, will defeat them if chaos is used, because 3/8 units will fire at team B's units and will eventually destroy them, as the toxotes will not try to kill the chaosed units until microed.

-Colour added

[This message has been edited by yukito (edited 11-16-2004 @ 10:51 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04 November 2004 08:01 AM EDT (US)     1 / 13  
For most atlantean players, wood should be quite important and in most cases, i would rather get styp birds.
I think one of the most commonly seen word in this guide is satyr, i think you are really criticalizing on satyrs advantage too much. Though nerieds are good.
I just want to note that

Quote:

can be used near your opponents base on his siege to cause havoc

And

Quote:

but also the chaosed units will not attack buildings!

These 2 are against each other.
Im not flamin and plz ppl dont think i am.

I shall not bring up another wierd website, sorry if you felt unconfertable about it.
posted 04 November 2004 10:20 AM EDT (US)     2 / 13  
Nice discovery about the Garrisoning, Chaos is bad but when it's used against you it seems terribly OP

Proud member of the Orion Clan
Orion_Tok
Check out my Japanese Civilisation Design Here!
posted 04 November 2004 11:58 AM EDT (US)     3 / 13  
i think theris shud add it =)
pretty useful... i agree with spectre,
posted 04 November 2004 06:05 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13  
hey, hostage, no offence taken :P

Quote:

These 2 are against each other.

but anyways, i realize this point, but maybe this is just for me, but i always seem to build my siege near my base, and at my base, i have alot of villagers, so the siege pesters the villagers, the tc shoots at the siege, but cannot kill it easily because of high pierce armour, and more importantly, the fact that siege is VERY slow training and quite expensive

posted 04 November 2004 06:22 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13  
One new discovery! Eh, its not that major/important...
Lets say Team A casts chaos on Team B's group of toxotes.
3 out of the 8 are chaosed. the 3 that were chaosed begin shooting at the closest units nearby: Team B's Archers.
As these chaosed units are shooting at team b's units, team b's units WILL NOT begin shooting back, unless they are microed to do so, or there are no other units to kill.

In other words:
Priority of Team B:1. Do what ordered to do (micro)
2. Kill Team A units.
3. Kill other hostile units.

Using this fact, a unit with high pierce armour, such as a fire siphon, being attacked by 8 toxotes, will defeat them if chaos is used, because 3/8 units will fire at team B's units and will eventually destroy them, as the toxotes will not try to kill the chaosed units until microed.

posted 04 November 2004 06:43 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13  
I noticed the other day that a bunch of satyrs actually do pretty well against titans. I think the reason is that since the titans have such monstrosity of pierce armor is not the attack of the satyr that does well but the actual amount javelins that they are able to throw in such a short time since they all count as a pierce attack.

EDIT: I actually tested all the ranged Myth units against a Titan. I used 5 of the same Myth units on the titan and the Satyr was the 4 best ranged myth units in the game (It actually did better than the manticore!). These are the results
Note: I used no upgrades since you don't always get them during a game. I also used no micro and all five of the units stood around the Titan not next to each other.

Results:
1) Fire giants= took 2081 hit points away from the titan!
2) Petsuchos= took 780 hit points
3) Medusa= took 862 hit points
4) Satyr= took 485 hit points
5) Lampades= took 479 hit points
6) Maticore= took 547 hit points
7) Troll= took 342 hit points
8) Wadjet= took 235 hit points
9) Mummy= took 199 hit points (very disappointing)
10) Centaur took 132 hit points

One last thing to note about the Satyr is that it was the third ranged myth unit that survived the longest agianst the Titan right after the Petsuchos and the Fire giants.

[This message has been edited by Titanus (edited 11-05-2004 @ 06:20 PM).]

posted 09 November 2004 05:14 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13  
Added.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 02 January 2005 01:54 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13  

Quote:

will not attack buildings!

Really? I chaosed an axeman next to my Palace and it began to attack my Palace, but it got killed by my other units before it could.

/mzhao
posted 05 January 2005 08:48 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13  
Great guide to Hyperion but sadly he's just useless when you have the other god choices and im sure many will agree.
posted 06 January 2005 07:42 AM EDT (US)     10 / 13  
1. Theia
2. Rheia
3. Hyperion

As in rate. Hyperion rules in certain situations.

posted 06 January 2005 05:19 PM EDT (US)     11 / 13  
^^^He's useless in most cases.
posted 18 January 2005 05:10 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13  
I like Hyperion for his Heroic Renewal tech. Satyr is (almost) useless, but the Nereid is like Bellerophon on water!

/mzhao
posted 20 January 2005 11:24 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13  
Recently I have been finding the Satyr to be extremely useful in certain cases,,

For some odd resean Satyrs murder Styphalian birds and I believe this to be because ALL the Javelins connect.

I am beginning to think that the larger the Myth unit the more amount of Javelins (with Gemino tech) connect and that is a 3x bonus for each Javelin (I think, dont quote me).

So in other words,,while a Satyr has a normal bonus of x3 when Gemino is researched it because x9 if all Javelins were to connect.

I could be totally wrong by this assumption but in a few games I did go with Hyperion and found the Satyr to be quite impressive vs large amounts of units and myth units.

Zone Name= DeaconRien
Founding Father of the Deacon Empire

"I am the Dragon, before me you tremble"
-Francis Dolarhyde (Red Dragon 2002)

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » A Quick Guide to Hyperion
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames