You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Fortress, Tower, or Wall?
posted 08 November 2004 06:19 PM EDT (US)   
Where exactly would you use a fortress/tower/wall?

FORTRESS/MIGDOL/HILLFORT/PALACE: A major defensive structure. Expensive and long to build, but can pump out special units that differ between civs.

TOWERS: A minor defensive structure, costs little and takes little time to build. Can reasearch Imps. to increase the LOS of your buildings. Also researches the important Boiling Oil upgrade. Egyptian can upgrade to Ballista.

WALL: A unique defensive structure. Allows you to block enemy access to area until it is torn down. Maitnience is tedious and annoying. Can have gates. Can be upgraded to increase strength. Egyptians can upgrade to Citadel level.

Here's where I'd use each structure:

In my Town, Resources: Towers

In my Town, Defensive areas: Fortress

In my Town, Around Wonder: Wall, Towers

Out of Town, Resource (Unclaimed): None

Out of Town, Resource (Claimed): Tower

Defensive Chokepoint (like Jointheim): Fortress

Around Map in other Areas: Tower

DEFENSIVE STRUCTURE RATINGS:
TOWER
PROS
Cheap +1/2
Easy-to-build +1/2
Can Research LOS boosts +1/2
Can Research Boiling Oil +1/2
----
CONS
Weak -1/2
----
TOTAL: 1 1/2

WALLS
PROS
Flexible +1/2
Cheap +1/2
Easy-to-build +1/2
Denies Complete Access to Area +1
----
CONS
Tedious to Manage -1
(Sometimes) Weak -1/2
Long Walls = Hard to Build -1/2
----
TOTAL: 1/2

FOTRESS
PROS
Can Build Unique Units +1
Sturdy and Strong +1
Good LOS +1/2
Powerful For Town Defensive Function +1/2
Some Minor God Imps. Researched Here +1/2
----
CONS
Costly -1/2
Takes Awhile to Build -1/2
----
TOTAL: 2 1/2

Therefore, for strategy purposes, it appears to Fortress is your best bet for a place that'll be around for awhile. (i.e. main town, forward base) The tower is useful to defend a temporary area. Useful for raid deflection.

The wall is tricky. The wall should never be put around your entire town. Instead, it would be better to use it to guard a crucial building, like a Wonder or Titan Gate. The reasoning for this is that with any wall, just one tiny segment gone, and it's useless. So it would be easier to make it smaller, or you'll waste time sending villies to repair it every time you get sieged. At least they look cool in scenarios!

Fortresses should be built also for getting specialty units like the portable ram or the elephant. Also, some minor gods provide special upgrades and benefits that have to be researched at the fortress. The fortress is very useful at chokepoints. Research the Levy upgrades, and you can quickly get an army to defend against a boom.

Besides defending against resource raids, Towers have a second use that can help if you micro. You can detect a boom with them. Build them a ways from your town, and when they get attacked by the boom army, start building an army/fortress. You can also vortex (if atl.) or Shifting Sands (if eggy) to the tower to attack with your existing troops, then build more should there be "leftover" to attack your town.

Towers could benefit from having a Carnivoria placed next to them too. And of course, they provide the uber-important Boiling Oil upgrade.

Feedback?

Replies:
posted 08 November 2004 06:39 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12  
added.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 08 November 2004 08:08 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12  
What does added mean? You posted it in the Satyrs thread, I'm assuming it's something good.

Never mind, figured it out.

[This message has been edited by gummyWorm (edited 11-08-2004 @ 08:09 PM).]

posted 08 November 2004 11:33 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12  
Actually youre supposed to tower unclaimed resources and fortress claimed out of town resources. And wall chokepoints and main base, and build towers inside of main base.
Sometimes building a fortress in the middle of nowhere is very helpful it gives you basically a point where your enemy doesnt know you have troops coming from. You can stage ambushes and secret attacks. As Eggy i almost always build a midgol off to the left or right (if our bases are top and bottom) so i have another angle of attack, and im closer to raid gold.

I told you I'd be back.
posted 09 November 2004 01:52 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12  
"Feedback?"

Walling effectively takes considerable skill

Crecallations is very huge.

People don't use towers effectively enough at all [most] but you they can help all skill levels. You can have 20 towers and 10 "forts" Upgraded, on average, thats about ~1000 pierce damage a second and about 40,000 hitpoints, - and 0 pop...

Pros:
~900 hp unit that is impervious to pierce attack, does twice the damage(ranged 2x shots) of most other units(double that damage for horses and 5x that for ships) and the most important part: they are 0 pop.

Norse Heimdal tower is excellent, otherwise they are very weak as Norse, but considering your other options, they can be huge. the way infantry can build, spamming forts and towers is very effective - albeit lame againsts non-norse.

Greeks build them very fast - a nice strat that I use is massing Zues hoplites(or Mrymidons) and having a small group of villagers build towers as I slowly edge into their main base(remember 0 pop)

Also with eggy ballista upgrades - a very cost effective damaging structure. Defintely build these all over the place.

I often build them "cat-E-korner" next to my Fortress/Migdol/forts, also in Vanilla I will build them next to TC's along with other barracks to help secure the vital opponents TC preHeroic.

posted 09 November 2004 02:06 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12  

Quote:

impervious to pierce attack

I wouldn't call them impervious, you can take them down with pierce attacks (once I destroyed the whole base - upgraded towers, fortresses and a town centre, along with all the other buildings - just with priests just because I decided to, they didn't do it effectively, but they did it in the end).
posted 09 November 2004 02:30 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12  
^^^^ alright let me rephrase that
Compared to any other unit - impervious to pierce attack.
posted 09 November 2004 02:36 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12  
I agree with you. I possibly didn't sound quite like I meant to sound before, any building is very safe against archers, but I was just pointing out that they could be defeated by pierce attacks. They do go down a bit easily to seige weapons though, although distracting seige weapons from attacking more important buildings is very useful to.
posted 09 November 2004 03:09 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12  
k, I didn't know if you were just starting something silly, like Medusa's and Gastro's or flaming arrows own towers blah blah.

"distracting seige" <-- yes, huge...

and their use changes dramatically as the game wears on, they still have thier use later in the game but they are not as helpful and aren't useful in the same way once the opponent can start to afford siege, but combined with some walls are very effective at pop free raid countering and can still as you said, distract siege away from the 'Forts' where you may have an important need 4 units

Bottomline, your opponent must take out your towers = your opponent must sacrifice pop to 'counter' them - which gives you a pop advantage...

posted 10 November 2004 08:18 AM EDT (US)     9 / 12  
And of course you want pop advantage. Also, I usually line towers on the least and most popular sides of my base to get attacked. That way, if some boomer was sneaky and took the back, I could kill him good. And there's some on the front for basic attacks. Setting one villie aside for repairing these buildings is a good idea, however.
posted 10 November 2004 03:06 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12  
im not to gd as science so dont flame me, but dont impervious mean doesnt allow wazter to get thru its gaps?
posted 11 November 2004 02:37 AM EDT (US)     11 / 12  
Impervious can mean watertight, but it can also mean indestructable.

How do mirror towers compare to other structures?

posted 11 November 2004 06:41 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12  
I think they're better than tower/wall, worse than fortress.
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Fortress, Tower, or Wall?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames