You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Thor Early Econ (dwarven mine)
posted 14 January 2005 07:47 PM EDT (US)   

I’ve had some real problems against Thor players in some of my recent games. In my effort to understand why I noted that I was almost always gathering fewer resources. Looking at the recorded game I cold tell the players were using a partial dwarf build. So here it is, my look at the Thor early econ up to 7 minutes. I’ve tried to eliminate as many variable as possible but in a game like this there’s only so much you can do.

Testing Conditions

I’ll be using Marsh (seed: 8368)

First a rather basic, unrehearsed control run with thor. I don’t use dwarven mine, get hunting dogs and hunt, sending my starting dwarves to mine around 2:30 after putting 2 vills to wood. I reach classical at 4:52 with the gold and wood upgrades. At 7 minutes have: 22 villagers, 4 dwarves And have gathered: 2840 food, 1280 wood, 1235 gold. Throw up 3 rax and make raiding cav just to do something.

Another unrehearsed run, this time I use the mine right off and even get pick sticker. At 7 min I have 11 dwarves and 14 villagers. I advance fast, 4:25 but have the 2 upgrades even if it’s only 1 hersir.
At 7 min I’ve gathered: 2489 food, 1260 wood, 1914 gold. A substantial increase, especially for advancing 30 seconds faster.
If you do lazy to do the subtraction that’s, 360 less food but almost 500 more gold. I’ve spent 400 less food on villagers and 420 more gold on dwarves.
While I do have one fewer civilian unit due to the increased training time for dwarves my econ isn’t any weaker because I’m using dwarves for all my gold mining needs instead of villagers.

Now that I’ve got a better idea what I’m doing…

Classical 4:50 w/ techs
@7 min 7 dwarves, 18 vills (one more almost done)
2755 food, 1249 wood, 1654 gold
100 less food, 30 less wood, 420 more gold
200 less food spend on vills (not counting one in tc), 180 more gold spend on dwarves.

Questions still remain, most notably about pig sticker. However the early use of dwarven mine really does help out the early econ. But it’s time for a comparison to another civ. So I’ll choose greek (hades). I’ll avoid gathering favor for this test.

Same idea….

4:58 classical w/ techs
@7 min: 28 vills
2631 food, 1795 wood, 1260 gold
210 less food, 515 more wood, 25 more gold

And one more run
4:59 classical w/ techs
@7 min 28 vills
2418 food, 1610 wood, 1430 gold.
420 less food, 329 more wood, 200 more gold

Greeks can clearly gather more and have more vills. Not having to make ox carts helps. And at this stage of the game the number of gather points build is the same as ox carts. I do have to use my vills to build the military buildings and houses. I’m really not sure what the implications of this are. Further testing on other civs would help too.

NerVe Clan
SMF AoE3 Recorded Game Data Mod
Replies:
posted 14 January 2005 09:11 PM EDT (US)     1 / 15  
Good post. Dwarven mine is a boost early on, mainly because you save 8 seconds of tc time and dwarves are meant for gold.
Interesting about the greek also. I came to the same conclusion way back. The extra vill makes them ahead.
But the longer the game goes the more factors are involved, and it gets rather complicated.
Anyway you can check out this old post of mine where I compare the 4 cultures and how fast they gather resources in 5 min tests.
http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,17063
posted 16 January 2005 09:41 AM EDT (US)     2 / 15  
The thing is not to worrying about your timing but make a strategy and keep practicing and using agaisnt human and computer players mad make little changes as you go increasing time and speed you can do things

In early archic age find food spot and hunt or gather from near by berrie bushes make 6 more to make 8 gathers then make two villagers for wood collecting and one ox casrt and get some wood (if town centers close to wood dont)Now move on and get 8 dwafes for gold mines this may be so slow getting 70 gold but as you go you can add more food gathers to 8 collecting food if you wish.Make two more villagers on each reouce and then start making temple ready to advance

On next age it may be wise start building a few barracks but now back to your economy now build even more food gathers about 18 if you must but along way increase your wood cutters amounts for farm building but remember if theiras huning spots use them and slowly use some existing hunters and switch them over to farming and then increase your dwafe amount to 8 or 12 if you need to if theirs near by town center do take it and increase your villager rate also keep in mind your rate increases as your villagers go up and also for evey pick axe and wood cut upgrade yo get so take them as long has it wont reduce your reouces to low amounts dont stop untill your happy with rate of resouces comming in

If you want make army you can either make it of cavelry or of throwing axe men but it might be best use mix of all 3 although i might favour the throwing axe men more but always make sure you do have mic to take on most types of units

[This message has been edited by BBSam (edited 01-16-2005 @ 10:35 AM).]

posted 16 January 2005 09:45 AM EDT (US)     3 / 15  
This probabbly wont work for you anyway but same with all your crappy time records just find your self a fast and easy strategy and keep making little changes their and then you cant expect have times you want over night and dont tell us about the seeding or anything nobody wants to know just use the map and increase your eco with what ever u feel best

i made changes and practiced my konos rush know its very effective and can mess up economys early and stop barracks from ever being made same with you even rush if you have to and build near them

[This message has been edited by BBSam (edited 01-16-2005 @ 09:46 AM).]

posted 16 January 2005 09:59 AM EDT (US)     4 / 15  
I'm not even going to attempt to decipher that bbsam...

Flammifer, Great post--I've been thinking of trying out norse and that really helped.

Also great info for my guide!

" I didn't particularly feel like being arrested, so I argued with the soldiers a bit. Several of them died during the argument - those things happen once in a while. Unfortunately, one of the casualties was Taur Urgas' oldest son. The king of the Murgos took it personally. He's very narrow-minded sometimes. "

" Usually, when I need a boat, I steal one. Using one of my own seems immoral somehow. "

posted 16 January 2005 10:26 AM EDT (US)     5 / 15  
Ok ill edit
posted 18 January 2005 09:08 AM EDT (US)     6 / 15  
The strategy forum is for sharing infomation, which is what he did.. showing the benefits of using thors mine early and then comparing the benefit gained against a greek civ. If you were played thor you might appreciate this as it informs you so you make the choice whether or not to use dawarven mine early..

What he was talking about had nothing to with the major part of his strategy and I don't see how you could include a BO or even advice at what do in classical in this at all?? I don't see it's relavence to this thead at all

The thing is not to worrying about your timing but make a strategy and keep practicing and using agaisnt human and computer players mad make little changes as you go increasing time and speed you can do things
^^
Thats the only part I see which has is even on the topic and you contradict you self by telling him not to worry about timing then telling him to make changes to increase his speed and lower his time?!?

Mist ripples round your thin white neck
And draws me a line
Cold fingers mark this dying wreck
This moment is mine

[This message has been edited by fenrisbrood (edited 01-18-2005 @ 09:10 AM).]

posted 18 January 2005 09:44 AM EDT (US)     7 / 15  
inserted.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 18 January 2005 02:57 PM EDT (US)     8 / 15  
I'm saying if your new to god or not very good you should'nt try and get best times of experts you should get one thats suitable for you and as you get better change the time as you change and improve your strats
posted 18 January 2005 05:47 PM EDT (US)     9 / 15  
I find your start very far from mine I dont usualy have close to that many dwarves only 5 on gold and 1 or 2 on wood because or else your eco is weaker with more dwarves than that except on water maps. Im sure you could get a way better eco with more vilagers and less dwarves. The main objective of the dwarven mine is to get pigsticker as soon as hunting dogs is done researching. With that many dwarves your eco wasnt as thor's is usualy with dwarven mine. Good test comparing him to hades tho.
posted 18 January 2005 07:15 PM EDT (US)     10 / 15  
I believe this is a newb question, but I've never known: what is seed?

One fine morning in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight. Back to back, they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other. A deaf policeman heard the noise, and ran to bury the two dead boys. If you don't believe this story's true, ask the blind man. He saw it, too.
The wise man will not call himself so. - Meanotaur
Perfection is a flaw because man is not supposed to be perfect. - Meanotaur
posted 15 February 2005 08:39 AM EDT (US)     11 / 15  
What I do not see the point of are those suggestions to just make a strategy and play accordingly. You obviously have to do that in any strategy game, but it has nothing to do with the point of this thread. It does make sense to analyze build orders.

Quoted from Meanotaur:

Seed are small balls from which plants grow up. They are suited very well to feed birds.

posted 15 February 2005 08:52 AM EDT (US)     12 / 15  

Quote:

It's sports terminology, but here, it basically means a different type of map. For example, there could be hundreds of seeds of "Savannah," and each has different hunting placement, TC locations, and stuff like that. It's nothing major.

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
posted 15 February 2005 07:11 PM EDT (US)     13 / 15  
A seed is a number used to start a random number generator with. A random map is probably created by using a random number generator with certain "map conditions" applied to the resulting random numbers.

A random number generator is not truly random but is only pseudo-random in the fact that its fixed sequence of numbers can fairly represent the set of random number where each numbers have an equal chance of turning up.

However, with the same seed, you still get the same set of random numbers, and therefore, in this case, the same map.

posted 15 February 2005 08:17 PM EDT (US)     14 / 15  
Hmmm nice guide. Your build order is way different than mine lol mine involves a lot of micro like target hunting with one dwarf but dont kill it for the favor to research pig sticker blah blah...
posted 16 February 2005 07:05 AM EDT (US)     15 / 15  
well, to be honest i use dwarven mine only in the classical age or more, or in the late game on a gold-lite map. then i'll know at least i have an extra 6000 gold to work with. also, i tend to focus part of my economy in another place other than my main map. for one thing, i'd always try to look for a place surrounded by at least 2 sides(by wood). then i focus farms, markets, and fortresses for protection. i also try to look for gold nearby. but that's just my econ.

i would suggest using the mine after your first advancement so that you have more gold to work with. 500 gold doesn't make too much difference in the long run, when you get that amount every 3-4 secs or so.

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Thor Early Econ (dwarven mine)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames