You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Odin VS Thor
posted 07 February 2005 11:28 AM EDT (US)   

Another strategy-guide written by me on Nov 19 2004, I thought: Let's post it as well
--------
Please read, and give me comment, it took me long enough to write this all.

My story of today
I played 3 odin games today... won all
and i just wanna say odin is a h4x0r god (at least i think that now, can be I don't in a week)
At least i think that he can be really good if you master him enough and that he's really underestimated.

General Odin-info and experience
I mean, he can make those h4x0r uberjarls. Freya's thundering hooves, and njords ring giver and the bonus to hillfort units and the regenerating of odins hitpoints make those units great.

And Njord also is a good god without ring giver... those mountain giants rock, so norse also have proper siege (in heroic) if they choose njord. and they're also good versus normal units .
His GP is also good. Those Walking Woods can really make a difference in taking a TC or just in any fight, or cast them on another spot while you're fighting. He has to take some units back or they will destroy a huge part of his base, so you will win at least one battle with that GP.

Or casting both forest fire and walking woods against a greek player.

Raiding is also nice with Odin, he can go for all the horse-gods(:P) and after being hit after raiding you can let them stand still for a minute or 2 and they're back to health And those ravens can be a really good backup as well.

Regenerating also spares a lot of resources.

Those Ravens of Odin can also come in handy very well. Versus a Kronos or Loki or other suggested rusher, you can scout where his forward base is... if he has one offcourse. I mostly use my first raven to scout around my base and to scout the rest of the map later, the 2nd I use to scout the enemy's base, find raiding spots etc. Later in the game i mostly place them above gold mines, so I can see where his goldies are. Makes it a lot easier to raid those goldies.

Comparation with thor
Thor has Bragi, Odin not:
-Can be, but Bragi's upgrades suck and however Njord's ups arent the h4x as well I will always use Njord's ups and almost never Bragi's.
-Njord's walking woods can be as good as Bragi's Flaming Weapons, when used well. Njords GP only needs more thinking but if used good it can be great.

Thor has better armory ups
Yup, but they cost gold...
Odin's extra 10% hitpoints to HF units is for free .
Even more, Odin's units regenerate , thats also extra 'armor' if you see it optimistic (and again use it well, make sure those almost-dead units go back soon enough to regenerate.

Thor has better and cheaper dwarfs
Errr... yes... ehhmm... indeed
It is indeed better than that Hunting Bonus of Odin, esp. if you have thor's pigsticker it aint that much better.

Thor R0x0rZ more on water
Again for a huge price, those flaming arrows...
you can better (get heroic and) get those krakens.

Thor's Dwarven Mine is better than Hunting Dogs
I don't know. Most cast Dwarven Mine straight away and those 250 gold isnt that good. I think Hunting Dogs can give the norse player a better boost. I don't know what I'd prefer most.

Conclusion
Well, that's it.
I am going to play more Odin next days and I will see if I still like playing him this much . But I think it's at least worth it.
Odin doesn't have to be weaker than Thor, which is thought to be the best Norse God by many. Odin has enough pro's to make him a worthy to play God.

made by: DoO_Joris

Please visit our forum-site: DoO-Forum
Replies:
posted 07 February 2005 01:57 PM EDT (US)     1 / 19  
I think you meant Great Hunt, not hunting dogs. (i don't know how to quote).
And you said ravens can be good backup, what do ya mean by that?
posted 07 February 2005 02:05 PM EDT (US)     2 / 19  
ehm, against a rusher i don't think u'll have to use the ravens to scout his FB as he'll advance before u and probabily destroy your temple(chronos deconstruction) and anyway usually rushers build quite near u so it's fairly obvious where their FB is.
anyway the n° 1 player is a Odin player so i guess he can't be that bad
posted 07 February 2005 02:08 PM EDT (US)     3 / 19  
Excuse me, but this has already been the subject of debates long ago.

I'm a long time Odin player, and I agree that Thor is better in general (read it again: in general).

The hunting bonus can be useless on low hunting map. Thor's economic advantage is always present (and there is still pig sticker).

Odin doesn't have an answer to strong cavalry, and doesn't have early powerful pierce attack that helps much VS some rushes (Troll).

Anyway, I like to play Odin and will go on to play him.

Njord is interesting for Odin's FU Jarls, and Krakens (+ arrow ships upgrade).
Otherwise, I don't like Walking wood: they're idiots running after ennemy units, leaving buildings untouched if the opponent is smart enough (although they're best at breaking buildings!). You need to support them, but even so, the ennemy can always try to attract them where they're useless.

As for regeneration of Odin's unit, it is nice, but not so much of help if you give no rest to your military units.
Resting military units are useless military units, so I don't leave them idle much.

And finally, you only spoke about the additional armory upgrades of Thor, but don't forget that Thor also get them for a less expensive price.

posted 07 February 2005 02:09 PM EDT (US)     4 / 19  
I much prefer Odin over thor. But i always won more games with thor simplay because of Fw/rag. But i think Odin > Thor in every other way.

1700++
posted 07 February 2005 05:01 PM EDT (US)     5 / 19  
Rox,

I respect your opinion, and I admit that without doubts you have much more experience than I do, but my feeling is that your opinion is far from being shared by everyone.

Now, who knows, it's not because many people think something that it's true either.

Personally, and I'm an Odin player, I feel that Thor is better in general for the reasons I explained.

Odin's healing = useful with idle military (pretty rare for me), and the hunting bonus usefulness depends on the map.

Btw, I so rarely can hunt far from the homebase: the opponents aren't fools, and they look for my hunting parties. When a scout find one, they strike quickly.

And there is still the big problem that Odin has VS cavalry.

But now, I would extremely be grateful if you can help me to improve, because I'm stuck again with Odin, and fell very low. It's the second time I fall so badly, and I don't know what to do anymore... It's the second time it happens.
Hopefully, I have a decent spare account left, as a souvenir lol

I must have introduced bugs again in my playing style

[This message has been edited by U977 (edited 02-07-2005 @ 05:02 PM).]

posted 07 February 2005 06:27 PM EDT (US)     6 / 19  
WTF are you saying bragi has bad ups !! a ulfy with one of his upgrade will kill one of your fu jarls,his mus is also quite good and so is his gp,ibet his gp will make a bigger difference in a battle than njords
posted 07 February 2005 06:43 PM EDT (US)     7 / 19  

Quoted from Joris:

Thor has better armory ups
Yup, but they cost gold...
Odin's extra 10% hitpoints to HF units is for free .

but Thor also has cheaper armory ups that can be researched at anytime as well as a fifth line.

Odin is a bit faster at rushing you (the hunting bonus helps alot), imo.

posted 08 February 2005 02:12 PM EDT (US)     8 / 19  
But now, I would extremely be grateful if you can help me to improve, because I'm stuck again with Odin, and fell very low. It's the second time I fall so badly, and I don't know what to do anymore... It's the second time it happens.
---
visit our forum and some other guys will help you out, I'm not that good (with Odin).

but Thor also has cheaper armory ups that can be researched at anytime as well as a fifth line.
----
I think i forgot mentioning it.

WTF are you saying bragi has bad ups !! a ulfy with one of his upgrade will kill one of your fu jarls,his mus is also quite good and so is his gp,ibet his gp will make a bigger difference in a battle than njords
---
I just hate ulfs, srry cant help it, so for me they are bad
indeed they are not that bad, but I just prefer the ring giver for jarls

posted 08 February 2005 02:20 PM EDT (US)     9 / 19  
Ring Giver is 40 favor, right? -_____-"
posted 09 February 2005 02:20 AM EDT (US)     10 / 19  
I know I can ask here on the forum...

But asking is not enough anymore. I'd prefer to show a replay and ask what's wrong.

posted 09 February 2005 11:46 AM EDT (US)     11 / 19  
agreed. Thor is better, But i prefer Odins god path and starting GP. It enables me to get a fast classical time( arond 4.30 on hunting maps and 5.00 on low hunt maps) and i go with heimdall becuase i tend to rush with lots of RC einhjars and some TA. Because i am rushing and raiding it is easier to keep the enemy bottled up inot his 1/3 of the map and hopefully less. This means i can expand and u se his hunting bonus for longer which means lees farms so more wood for TA. Of course map control is vital here. U want them to be scared of u so they wont raid u. This means 100% pressure. Not always attacking. Raid heis goldies. Then hit his houses. raid foodies and hit military buildings. Try to spread his army and dont face himn head on unless certain victory. When i adv to heroic (if it gets that far) i play njord unless low hunt map (Skadi tech) and then ub with rag and gg unless u play thor who has rag and FW. 2 main tips. 1 is to get him scared so he leabes ur vills alone and 2, go watch some recs of "KG_naturephoenix". He is amazing with Odin

1700++
posted 11 February 2005 05:33 PM EDT (US)     12 / 19  
I know Thor has access to all Armory ups, but does Flaming Arrows apply to that as well? (I'm not a Norse player)
posted 12 February 2005 07:09 AM EDT (US)     13 / 19  
i think so,it is available in class but it isnt needed on land maps with norse until they can get ballista because it doesnt affect ta iirc.

gl

p.s GO ODIN GO

1700++
posted 16 February 2005 03:39 PM EDT (US)     14 / 19  
the flaming arrows GP applies to every unit on a person's team, even all the wooden ones! however, it has the most influence on seige weapons. It makes the battering rams even more, and I mean MORE devastating vs. buildings.

Throwing axemen also become the cheif MU executioner. Especially with the titans mod for them (5x attack vs. MU)

posted 16 February 2005 04:03 PM EDT (US)     15 / 19  
added.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 16 February 2005 06:28 PM EDT (US)     16 / 19  
Just to clarify you mean flaming weapons GP, not flaming arrows..right?
posted 16 February 2005 06:36 PM EDT (US)     17 / 19  

Quoted from i r noob:

I know Thor has access to all Armory ups, but does Flaming Arrows apply to that as well? (I'm not a Norse player)

Yes. being able to get that in archaic/classical is what makes him so good on the water.

posted 16 February 2005 07:26 PM EDT (US)     18 / 19  
Quote "Ring Giver is 40 favor, right? -_____-"
Ring giver is 30 favors fool.

Depending on length of the game, Thor is better in the long run. Better Armory upgrades and had bragi ulfies.Although Odin owns thor at rushing with regerating units and two raven scouts. In general Thor is better than Odin because of he can build armory in archiaic and all the techs, giving him a superior army in classical/heroic.
Thor also had better dwarves and can advance earlier to classical than odin. In order to win with Odin, you must know Odin really well and use all the advantages to Odin.
Thor is generally easier to play

posted 18 February 2005 04:35 AM EDT (US)     19 / 19  
yeah, playing Thor gives you less potential for mistakes. also, Thor has better econ, so it can afford those upgrades, making his army better and stronger. so there.

Odin has to rely on specific strats, and although he has better scouting, is still more vulnerable to rushing and raiding without using FH or specific counter units. this is mostly because Thor has better econ (read above), and better, cheaper upgrades

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Odin VS Thor
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames