You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Where to place downloaded files, a guide
posted 11 December 2003 04:13 PM EDT (US)   
If you ever download articles from our Download Section here at AoMH, you know that there are a wide assortment of files available to download for Age of Mythology. Most of the files in our download section should have a readme saying how to install them, but if they don't then this guide should serve you better.

by Eye of Iperion

AoM is usually installed in a directory called C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology
Anyway you can change it to any folder
Note: The Titans is always placed in the same folder where you placed AoM.

So when you download a file, go to the AoM folder, and look at the last three letters of the file.
(Note some files are just EXE, and you have just to specify the folder of AoM)

If they are

.scn it is a scenario, place it in the "scenario" folder
.scx it is a scenario for TT, you can also place it in the "scenario" folder
.rec a rec file, place it in the "savegame" folder
.rcx a rec file for TT, place it in the "savegame" folder
.xml this is usually a RM and then go to the "rm" folder for AoM and to the "rm2" folder for TT, but this can be also a sound file (usually of a mod), if it is, place it in the "sound" folder, finally it can be an AI file (AI=Artificial Intelligence) an then you have to place it in the "ai" folder if you have aom, or "ai2" folder if you have TT.
.xs the same, it can be a RM (RM are composed by two files, a xml and a xs) and then place it in rm folder or rm2 folder for tt,a sound file of a mod, so place it in the sound folder and also an AI file an so you have to place it in the ai folder (AoM) or ai2 folder (if you have TT)
nameofthefile_anim.txt this is a part of a mod, an anim file, so place it in the "anim" folder
.cpn this is a campaign file, place it in the "data" folder
.cpx this is a campaign made for TT, place it in the "data" folder
.lgt this is a custom light for scenarios or rms, for example "night" "sunset", place it in the data folder
.dcl this is a model (part of a mod), it goes to the "model" folder
.brg the same, it goes to model folder
.sav it is a save for the game, place it in the "savegame" folder
.wav a sound file, place it in the "sound" folder
.mp3 a sound file, place it in the "sound" folder
.ddt it is a texture, usually for a unit, place it in the "textures" folder
.bti ^ the same, place it in the "textures" folder
.tga this is an image for a rm, place it in the "ui" folder of "textures" folder
.btx the same, place it in the "ui" folder of "textures" folder
.bdt the same, place it in the "ui" folder of "textures" folder

[This message has been edited by Eye of Iperion (edited 03-10-2004 @ 12:29 PM).]

Replies:
posted 14 December 2003 11:24 AM EDT (US)     1 / 16  
Any comments?

[This message has been edited by Eye of Iperion (edited 01-04-2004 @ 09:10 AM).]

posted 15 December 2003 03:00 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16  

Quote:

Note: this is meant to be a sticky

Thats up for us to decide whether or not to sticky a thread, not whether or not you want or intend it to be. If you can make it a litle more read-friendly and get a few replies (to show that people care ), then I'll sticky it.

Also, make sure to include the AoM directory (C - Program FIles - etc)

DK
posted 15 December 2003 03:06 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16  
I think the reason your not getting much reaction to your post is because it doenst really have anything to do with tech or bugs. Maybe in general. The tech and bug is the slowest forum here.

R.I.P Shiva
posted 18 December 2003 05:17 AM EDT (US)     4 / 16  
^Well there are people that don't know where to place files

[This message has been edited by Eye of Iperion (edited 03-10-2004 @ 12:32 PM).]

posted 22 December 2003 10:58 AM EDT (US)     5 / 16  
A comment guys!
posted 22 December 2003 10:54 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16  
I have no idea how to get the things into the folder! I have a Window's Xp can you please tell me step by step how to do it THANKS A LOT

Christopher

posted 23 December 2003 04:41 AM EDT (US)     7 / 16  

Quote:

I have no idea how to get the things into the folder! I have a Window's Xp can you please tell me step by step how to do it THANKS A LOT

Christopher

OK, first of all, welcome to AoM Heaven!
When you download the file, usually it's a .zip, so save it on the desktop where you can easily find it.
Download a program called Winzip at www.winzip.com
Install it, and click with the right button of the mouse on the file you downloaded, this will open a menu, there is a voice "winzip" in the menu, hold the mouse over it, this will open another menu, select "Extract to folder C:..... (you will see other words at the place of the dots)
then you will see a folder with the same name of the zip file on the desktop, open it and select the file you want to place.
For example, let's suppose it's a scenario, select the .scn, then click with the right button of the mouse on it, and select "Copy", then go to "My Computer" (the icon with the computer on the desktop) and you will see some folders with letters as names.
These are the hard disks and the CD readers and other.
If you have only the C folder, then no problems, but if you have more hard disks (you must only look at Hard Disks no matter with CDs DVDs and floppy), you must remember where you placed AoM.
Usually it's placed in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Mythology
Then open C(or the letter of the hard disk where you installed AoM), then program files, then microsoft games, then age of mythology.
Here there are a lot of folders.
Open the folder scenario (because we are supposing it's a scenario) and click with the right button of the mouse on a blank place and then click "past".
This will place the file.
Then you only have to open AoM and you will find the file.

For other files it's the same thing, watch the last three letters, look at my guide, and place it where the guide says.
All right? If not post the question here.

Hope this guide has helped you.

Quoted from PW_DK:

...get a few replies (to show that people care), then I'll sticky it...

You see DK? There are people interested in my guide

[This message has been edited by Eye of Iperion (edited 12-23-2003 @ 09:20 AM).]

posted 26 December 2003 10:13 AM EDT (US)     8 / 16  
looks like you know your files
posted 26 December 2003 10:16 AM EDT (US)     9 / 16  
eye, just a thought of an addition to your little guide. How about telling people how to make, and rename folders so when they do download rec and rcx or whatever they can have made a folder and always dl to that folder. I use one called downloads, its for everything I dl and I just back it up to a cd when it gets to about 400 megs or so.

R.I.P Shiva
posted 27 December 2003 05:34 AM EDT (US)     10 / 16  

Quote:

eye, just a thought of an addition to your little guide. How about telling people how to make, and rename folders so when they do download rec and rcx or whatever they can have made a folder and always dl to that folder. I use one called downloads, its for everything I dl and I just back it up to a cd when it gets to about 400 megs or so.

uhm ok, it seems a nice idea, I should add it to the topic.

[This message has been edited by Eye of Iperion (edited 01-04-2004 @ 09:09 AM).]

posted 08 January 2004 06:21 PM EDT (US)     11 / 16  
Yeh eye of peirdon which folder is the one where you put the stuff in the folder ( how do you get to the folders)
posted 18 January 2004 00:31 AM EDT (US)     12 / 16  
Yo eye of peridon you did not answer my last question I ASKED WERE THE HELL IS THE FOLDERS TO PUT THE STUFF IN IT TELL ME OK OR I AM SERIOUSLY GOING TO ALL OVER YOU
posted 18 January 2004 09:45 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16  
EEERRR EYE OF PERIDON ANSWER ME YOU *** *** ****** ** ** ** ***** ** **** AND IF YOU DON'T I AM GOING TO KICK YOUR LITTLE *** YOU *** HOLE THIS IS MY LAST NOTE OF ASKING IF YOU DO NOT TELL ME I AM SERIOUSLY GOING TO KICK YOUR LITTLE *** YOU **** ** ** ***** ********** **** *** **** ** ******* ******** *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad*
posted 19 January 2004 00:26 AM EDT (US)     14 / 16  
He left you idiot.

The moderators in AOMH are laxing up.

Oh, if you can't even find where the folder is, it is not really worth telling you that as you obviously will not know what to do anyway.

I suggest you go to a computer class, learn some basics, then come back.

[This message has been edited by Rookierookie (edited 01-19-2004 @ 00:28 AM).]

posted 19 January 2004 01:41 AM EDT (US)     15 / 16  
Christopher_Kott, don't flame. Good thing I don't moderate here.

"Oh yes, I will get back at you, and AOMH! This is a warning to you, so admit you are a bad mod and quit, otherwise, you will suffer the consiquences in the future!!!!"

[This message has been edited by Erags (edited 01-19-2004 @ 01:43 AM).]

posted 19 January 2004 12:32 PM EDT (US)     16 / 16  
Which folders do you want to get to. Here is where they are. With the exception of TT rcx (recorded games) all the folders are here.

Hard drive-program files-microsoft games-aom. Once you clikc on the aom folder itself all the other folders are right there in alphabetical order.

To get to your hard drive go to my computer, double click it. It will open up all your drives. The hard drive is normally c drive.

For TT and only TT recorded games. that folder is here.
C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\My Games\Age of Mythology\Savegame

R.I.P Shiva
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Technical Help » Where to place downloaded files, a guide
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames