Please login or register

Technical Help
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: nVidia Drivers - Units appearing Black
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 17 January 2004 06:52 AM EDT (US)   
PROBLEM:

Some nVidia cards (it appears to affect older GeForce cards mostly - e.g. GeForce2 MX400) with the latest nVidia drivers cause the game to not display the following textures properly (they actually appear black):

- Bronzed Units
- Battle Boars
- Back of Scarabs
- Water Textures

SOLUTION:

1) Uninstall Video Card. (via Device Manager)
2) Restart. When Windows detects the card, it'll install either generic drivers or some older nVidia drivers.
3) Go to www.nvidia.com
4) Go to the Drivers page, and choose the right Video Card, OS etc.
5) Go to the ARCHIVE page (should be a link on the left somewhere - for Windows 2000/XP users, the link is "Windows 2000/XP Driver Archive")
6) Download and install the 56.72 drivers.

All drivers after 56.72 cause black texture problems with nVidia Cards and AOM/AOM:TT (Especially GeForce cards). If for some reason you cannot use 56.72 drivers (e.g. it causes problems in another game), then you can also try another driver in the "List of Working Drivers" below. Alternatively, if you have time, you can go through each driver after 56.72 and see if you can find a newer driver that works. If you do PLEASE POST HERE telling us your video card model and the driver version until you find one that works. Use the one before that.

It is interesting to note that the more recent drivers, including the latest drivers, only cause problems with water textures and bronzed units (for me anyway). The water texture problem can be fixed by adding the line "-waterbump" (without quotes) to your User.cfg file in the Startup folder of Age of Mythology. So, if you're not too fussed about only having Bronzed units look weird (kind of silvery), then install the latest drivers, and modify your User.cfg file as above, and the rest of the game's textures should work fine.

List of Working Drivers:

84.21 (Only if you add "-waterbump" to your User.cfg)

[This message has been edited by Quircus (edited 08-06-2006 @ 02:20 PM).]

Replies:
posted 17 January 2004 08:51 AM EDT (US)     1 / 36  
Thanks, i HAD that problem to .

http://aom.hsc.be

Check my site out
There will be soon many content

posted 17 January 2004 09:05 AM EDT (US)     2 / 36  
No Problem. I'm glad this post has already helped someone . I really hope this becomes sticky or people may be searching for this answer for a long time.

Making this sticky would mean (hopefully) no more posts about confused people.

posted 17 January 2004 12:09 PM EDT (US)     3 / 36  
Ye man, thanks for helping me.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
posted 19 January 2004 10:17 PM EDT (US)     4 / 36  
Thanks for the post. I installed Version 45.23 after finally finding the archive link on the advice of PeeLaPear3k1. Glad I didn't bother installing the newer version 53.04. I would like to point out that it was the original Asus driver that came with my GeForce 2 MX-400 v7100pro that was causing the bronze GP to display black and also causing a black border around the cursor. Version 45.23 fixed both of these problems for me. So it is not just the new version that is bad, but at least one older version too.

Also, I use an alternate installation method. I right click on the desktop, choose properties, settings (IIRC), then change video cards back to the primitive original standard vga driver. You should already have downloaded the new driver so after rebooting DISABLE ANTIVIRUS FIRST then do a Start:Run:Browse to the downloaded files location and select it and run it, etc.

Either this method or the Quircus method, your choice. The main thing is that you will only get a partial install with an error if you don't uninstall your previous driver for your nVidia card first. You need to go to generic vga first where everything on the screen gets blown up huge. He. He.

posted 20 January 2004 08:10 AM EDT (US)     5 / 36  
I'm too lazy, so I'll just post the suggestion here instead. Pester one of the mods via email or instant messenger to get it stickied - they're not likely to do so if it's just posted with 'please make sticky' in the title.

And thanks for the discovery Quircus!

TheShædøwDåwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
posted 27 January 2004 01:33 PM EDT (US)     6 / 36  
Stickied, great discovery

Angel Socvazius | Chief Executive Officer, HeavenGames LLC
"As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!"
HeavenGames | Join the Facebook Group | The HG Blog
Soccy's Periodic Obsession: ROFLCon
posted 27 January 2004 09:09 PM EDT (US)     7 / 36  
Thanks a lot Quircus
But, I also play Halo, and I think I need version 53.04... I was wondering, is there any way to play both games? Right now I'm forced to uninstall and reinstall the update to play both games...

ESO:Noob4_the_Minion
Rating:1700++(TT)
Currently playing:Ra, Zeus, Hades
Visit Noob4_ forums for Recs and chat!

posted 28 January 2004 01:05 PM EDT (US)     8 / 36  
Minion,

Create two hardware profiles - one for aom one for whatever else.

posted 28 January 2004 09:57 PM EDT (US)     9 / 36  
Soccy, you do realize that by stickying this, you are actually killing it?
posted 31 January 2004 09:16 AM EDT (US)     10 / 36  
Did anyone with the 5600 get this problem?

~*S c a r f a c E*~
posted 08 February 2004 07:35 AM EDT (US)     11 / 36  
Cheers for this , I had this problem with water textures.
I think this problem also effects CnC Generals. Tried to play it the other day and most terrain textures looked black or white.
Just to check , I can't srew up my system or get lost in this process can I?:S

Ok you can laugh but er..where is device manager?

NERO
"Men, I want you just thinking of one word all season. One word and one word only: Super Bowl."
- Bill Peterson, football coach

[This message has been edited by Richard the God (edited 02-08-2004 @ 07:38 AM).]

posted 12 February 2004 04:36 PM EDT (US)     12 / 36  
Right Click "My Computer" and select "Properties".

Then, if using Windows 2000/XP, go to the "Hardware" Tab and click "Device Manager"

If using Windows 95/98/98SE/ME, go to the "Device Manager" Tab

posted 06 March 2004 07:30 PM EDT (US)     13 / 36  
I just ran into this problem wiht the demo--and the older driver did in fact correct the problem.

I went back to nVidia's website to double check a claim I read elsewhere that there was no way to contact nvidia about this. Sure enough, not only did I NOT find any way to report the bug, I found this absurd statement to the effect that nvidia does not sell end user products and therefore does not provide end-user tech support! Huh? Just today I saw a whole rack of nvidia cards at Best Buy! What do they call an end-user, then? They went on to say that we're supposed to call the Motherboard manufacturer if we have a problem! Again--huh?? Just what are they supposed to do about it?

I would just like to know whether nvidia knows anything abou this or if they've got their heads in the sand. At least, if I were Microsoft, I'd be thinking twice about plastering nvidia logos all over their games if they can't/won't acknowledge display problems inhibiting their game play.

For the record, I'm using a Geforce2 MX card on a Gigabyte boad, 1Ghz AMD Athlon, 256 MB SDRAM. No problems yet--until now. Every other aspect of the game runs very smoothly--stunning even, with the older display driver.

posted 15 March 2004 05:23 PM EDT (US)     14 / 36  
nVidia has just today released Forceware 56.64, however there is no mention in the release notes of correcting any AoM issues.
posted 21 March 2004 05:35 AM EDT (US)     15 / 36  
I have just installed and tested the new Forceware Drivers:

The Problem is solved! All Units that were appearing Black are now fine!

Please install the latest drivers and make sure they work...I know they work for me, but it doesn't mean that they'll work for everyone...

[This message has been edited by Quircus (edited 03-21-2004 @ 06:21 AM).]

posted 22 March 2004 05:00 AM EDT (US)     16 / 36  
Actually, since I upgraded the driver to 56.64, all I get is 'Initialization failed'. Bit of a git really.

In a race between a rock and a pig,
don't varnish your clams.
posted 23 March 2004 03:23 PM EDT (US)     17 / 36  
Hi guys!

What if everything appears white? Because it does on mine, thats why I can't play it. For example if I play as red, all my buildings and units will appear white and a bit of red on it, the graphics are not right. All the requirements are fine.

Any ideas???
Thanks. Nik. :\

posted 23 March 2004 04:32 PM EDT (US)     18 / 36  
What's your video card Nik?
posted 23 March 2004 05:03 PM EDT (US)     19 / 36  
16 MB... Thats all I know.

600MHz prosesor
256 Ram
16 mb video card

posted 23 March 2004 10:11 PM EDT (US)     20 / 36  
Dude, its your video card.

R.I.P Shiva
posted 24 March 2004 00:55 AM EDT (US)     21 / 36  
I suggest buying a new computer if you can, Nik, even though its within the system requirements on the box of the game, it is reaaaallly pushing things to try and run a game like aom on it.
posted 01 April 2004 10:08 AM EDT (US)     22 / 36  
I agree with Mindwarp, but if you can't get a new PC, contact the PC provider/manufacturer to get the name of your video card (or download something like SiSoft Sandra), then contact your Video Card Manufacturers by e-mail (if possible).
posted 02 April 2004 12:15 PM EDT (US)     23 / 36  
Update: Latest Drivers as of 1/4/04 - 56.72.
posted 08 May 2004 12:57 PM EDT (US)     24 / 36  
My problem is, that not only units are black, everything is!

When I start the game the videos and the loading screen are displayed properly but when there should appear something like a main menu, there's nothing but the cursor (which is displayed properly).

After reading this thread, I installed the newest display drivers (GF 4 MX 440 --> 56.72), but it didn't work, still the same problem.

Is there anyone, who can help me, any way to solve that problem??

Btw. my system:

P4 1800
256 MB RAM
MSI Board, Via Chipset
MSI GF 4 MX 440 (Driver 56.72)
Win XP Home SP1

Halo and Dungeon Siege LOA work fine on the same machine, maybe that's some kind of importat, because they're by microsoft too, I don't know

Would be nice if somebody could help me

[This message has been edited by seibolt (edited 05-08-2004 @ 01:00 PM).]

posted 08 May 2004 01:06 PM EDT (US)     25 / 36  
Perhaps try to Uninstall the Video Card (via Device Manager), then reboot, but when it asks to Install it, either cancel or let it install the Default Windows Drivers.

Then install the latest Drivers. May help.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Technical Help » nVidia Drivers - Units appearing Black
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames