Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: What is a good scenario and what isn't
posted 15 March 2003 08:39 PM EDT (US)   
Thought I'd start posting some more, aparently Kumar is now a cherub, So I thought I should start being more helpful and see where that gets me. I'll try to post threads like these now and then and see how much interest they get. Many of these will most likely turn into articles which you can view at DGDN.net

To begin:

What makes a good scenario?
There are different types of scenarios with different types of criteria to go with them, hopefully this'll be a good guide on what to include in your scenario so that it's "good"

This is a nice ruebric you should keep in mind of when creating a scenario, or look at when reviewing scenarios.

So the first thing you want to do before making a scenario is figure out what type of scenario it should be.

Single Player Scenarios
The difference between a single player scenario and a campaign is that a SP scenario is shorter, and contains 1-2 scenarios (the second being an optional intro if your scenario has a story that you need to understand). Single player scenarios mostly concentrate on gameplay, whether it be Build and Destroy, Fixed Force, RPG, General Strategy, Puzzle, etc, SP scenarios'll have a small story as to set up the gameplay and catch your interest.

Good Single Player Scenarios will include:

• Some form of Gameplay style
  • Small story to fit with the gameplay
  • Entertaining and varried Gameplay
  • Help, tips, Conditions, missions etc.
  • Interaction(depending on the gameplay)

Bad Single Player Scenarios often include:

• Little or no story (Ex. Go attack red cause he be talking smack 'bout you!)
  • linear, or dull, or repeating gameplay
  • Little or no instructions.
  • Poor or unfair design (ex. you get 10,000 rescorces at the start)

Multiplayer Scenarios
    Multiplayer (MP) scenarios are scenarios that are meant to be played online. They are often fast paced, containing plenty of action. Multiplayer scenarios are perhaps the most diverse and different creations. There are many different types, and new types of MP scenarios often become big hits, like the "blood" type which originated 3 years ago in Age if Kings.

Good Multiplayer Scenarios will include:

• Fun Gameplay
  • Support for multiple players (avoid having a static number of players)
  • Fun and balanced gameplay for all players
  • The most valued MP scenarios will have new or inovative gameplay (Matei's Norse Wars for example)
  • The latest map design tricks to spiff up the map
  • A well designed gameplay "arena" or map.
  • Bad Multiplayer Scenarios (and I've seen alot of them) will have:

• Unbalanced Gameplay
  • Bad map concept, design.
  • No triggerwork (this is biased, there can be some good ones with no triggers)
  • Poorly designed (ex. you generate a random map, give everyone 10,000 rescorces, and call it finished work)
  • NOT FUN

Campaigns
    Campaigns are a large clump of scenarios heavily relying on a story and gameplay. Campaigns usually have intro scenarios to unfold the story. Campaigns will also have cinematics if they are needed for the story. Adding cinematics to scenarios or campaigns especially when describing the story is highly recomended.

Good campaigns will have:

• Been worked on a fair amount of time
  • A stable, understandable, or believable story that can either unfold through cinematics or gameplay or some other form that gradually progresses.
  • A serries of 2 or more related scenarios. (else it's considered just a SP scenario)
  • Have stunning visuals, triggerwork, camerawork.
  • Be entertaining
  • Balanced Gameplay
  • Dynamic Gameplay (let the player choose which missions to do, which places to go, what to make or not make etc. Try to give as many options in the gameplay as possible. Avoid making scenarios with the horrible trail that goes all around the map and telling the player to go to the end of the trail to win. It's a royal waste of 2 hours that is)
  • Little or no bugs
  • a well-polished and finalized map (polishing and testing also is a way to look for and remove bugs)
  • and will apear to be a very proffesional work.

A campaign will ultimatly reflect back to you and show what kind of a person you are, or how creative you are. You want to be as proffesional as possible, and keep the bugs and spelling/grammar errors out.

I know I left some stuff out, but remember that the Story and Gameplay is the most important part of a campaign. There are many different types of stories and the ways that they are presented. The most original ones are usually the ones that get rated a 5. Remember that you could go for horror or comedy stories as well, or just make 100% cinematic movie campaigns. The more original you are the better your campaign will be.

Bad Campaigns have:

• Bare-bones story that has no point or referance to the gameplay (ex. Goldilocks was a girl who wanted to give her granny some stuff. Go attack player red (wolves) because they be talkin' smack)
  • Poor, unbalanced, unfair, rediculous, repetitive, or simple gameplay. (remember that Gameplay has to be challenging and fun at the same time. Don't make the player spend 2 hours making an army so as to attack another army in a battle that'll last 2 minutes. Also don't give the player 10 SOOs so as to attack a small group of axemen.
  • Simpleton map design, nothing new or eye catching or infact interesting.
  • Poor overall presentation.

The more original your campaign is, the better it's gonna be.

So that should be it. In general a good scenario will be fun, original, new (stop making LOTR scenarios everyone), and catch the players attention or interest. People often add music or sounds to their scenarios to do just that.
    Hopefully in the long-term effect we might be seeing some better scenarios in the Downloads section.

I think that the most important thing we need is a ground-breaking scenario that everyone likes and is a good example of an excelent scenario. As soon as one of those comes out people will want to make scenarios just like that and so the chain of events will start. Thats what happened in AOK.

I think we haven't seen something like that so far (i've forgotten still how new AOM is) because of flaws or missing features in the editor, and the general nature of the AOM editor which consumes so much time (not for me, later I'll post some great tips on how to design productivly and FAST)

Oh, and heres 1 more thing that I think is important.

What makes a good Scenario Designer ?

Scenario designer is the term given to a person who designs scenarios using a "scenario" editor also known as a map editor. There are many different "types" (heh) of scenario designers, each having different skill levels which ultimatly are shown in the maps.

A good scenario designer:

• Works fast and productivly
  • Spends time on what he/she does
  • Is Very creative
  • Is familiar with Map editors and is quick to learn new things.

Anyone can get ideas on the "most bestess scenario ever" and make plans all they want, but the difference between a L33T scenario designer and a Novice designer is that they work fast, are familiar with triggers and know exactly how to use them to fit their gameplay, and have a good time while doing it.

Bad scenario designers:

• Spend little time on their maps, ignoring the details
  • Usually brood over one thing or element of their map. (OR, pump out a map really quick just for the hell of doing so)
  • Often time steal things or create unoriginal work and try to pull it off as their own.
  • Have too much time on their hands. (OR) make poor use of their time (ex. playing Warcraft3 Or halo all day then getting frustrated that you haven't made progress on your map)

Now I know I've left out alot of things for both good and bad elements of scenarios, so if you think I should add something or change something, or want to argue go ahead and post, I'd appreciate that.
    I'll be posting more threads like these later, if this one gets attention and people want to hear more about making good maps.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
    "But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
    ----Stuff I've Made----

[This message has been edited by CheeZy monkey (edited 03-15-2003 @ 09:03 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 15 March 2003 08:54 PM EDT (US)     1 / 26  
    Very good post

DK
    posted 15 March 2003 08:56 PM EDT (US)     2 / 26  
    Better than me posting world map screens all over the place :P

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    "But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
    ----Stuff I've Made----
    posted 15 March 2003 09:38 PM EDT (US)     3 / 26  
    Thankyou very much for making this post Cheezy Monkey. I have descided from the begining that I will only summit a scenario of mine to the public if I feel that it's real quality work. And I want everyone else to do the same.
    posted 15 March 2003 10:04 PM EDT (US)     4 / 26  
    Yeah. Compared to AOK standards theres maybe 2 scenarios in the entire download section that are considered good. People just need to get busy abit

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    ----Stuff I've Made----
    posted 15 March 2003 10:48 PM EDT (US)     5 / 26  
    Nice work, CheeZy .
    posted 15 March 2003 11:23 PM EDT (US)     6 / 26  

Quote:

People just need to get busy abit

Hey, better late than never. Great scenarios are in the making and are pending soon release. I believe your's, Chezzy, is coming out sometime within the month? Tsunami's beginning work on some team projects. We've got so many eye candies in the eye candy thread. Kumar has a great scenario in the works, and, let me tell you, the intro is sha-weet! I mean, look around ladies and gentlemen, soon, so very soon, this place is going to be bustling with brand new, great scenarios!

Quote:

Better than me posting world map screens all over the place

You're telling me! j/k

Byz
    Tsunami Studios
    "People are born to succeed, not fail." - Henry David Thoreau
    posted 16 March 2003 00:36 AM EDT (US)     7 / 26  

Quote:

Support for multiple players (avoid having a static number of players)

How does one make the number of players non static? Would be great if I do not have to do any coding.

Also can I make an indefinately set computer civ for online play? (i will even do a little scripting if I have to on this one)

Nice post cheezy, although it made me feel like a hoser.

[This message has been edited by Niadanac (edited 03-16-2003 @ 00:50 AM).]

posted 16 March 2003 00:44 AM EDT (US)     8 / 26  

good post Cheezy

One thing, people know about the good/bads, but sometimes dont know how far to go, or how to implement them.

Thats why I started the Scenario Design Disussions from AoKH over here, but they didnt get much response.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
    A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
    posted 16 March 2003 00:48 AM EDT (US)     9 / 26  
    My BYO maps were supposed to be better... BUT... You can do the same things with RM scripts now. There is a lot of stuff I left out of those scenarios for basic reasons, the biggest being that I wanted the thing to transfer in a reasonable amount of time. (They didn't) But im sure they got some more people doing new things with the scenario editor.
    posted 16 March 2003 01:19 AM EDT (US)     10 / 26  

Quote:

Thought I'd start posting some more, aparently Kumar is now a cherub, So I thought I should start being more helpful and see where that gets me.

That's a pretty selfish reason to help people...

I didn't find this very helpful and the criteria's are not the same for every scenario/campaign/whatever. Everyone has their own opinion on what's good or what isn't and you can‘t tell people what to think.
    Not that I’m saying you are...

Any ways this is still good because it basically says that more work and effort will in turn make a better final product. Most people know that having eye candy, good story and error free work is better then not having it.

posted 16 March 2003 12:50 PM EDT (US)     11 / 26  
    He's just saying what he thinks...well done Chezzy.

Presenting...
    Lord Of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
    The Saga reproduced exclusively for Age Of Mythology
    Coming soon..in Fall 04

posted 16 March 2003 01:39 PM EDT (US)     12 / 26  
    bah

Licensed Devil
    I'm here to kill your self belief
    -=[SCN Punk Network]=-
    -=[WebMaster]=-
    SCN Punk Empires Editor Guide (or here)

[This message has been edited by LicensedDevil (edited 03-16-2003 @ 02:24 PM).]

posted 16 March 2003 01:56 PM EDT (US)     13 / 26  
    @Niadanic, sorry if that sounds confusing, what I meant is avoid having scenarios where you can only play the scenario if you have 6 people or something. Those often take forever to get going, and then people drop out ruining the MP scenario.

Quote:

criteria's are not the same for every scenario/campaign/whatever. Everyone has their own opinion on what's good or what isn't

Mojo if you bothered to read a majority of my thread you'd find that I said just that - that this is a loose interpritation of what a majority of people will think makes up a good scenaio.
    This could be a guide to reviewing something, or a check-pad when making your scenario or whatever you want. Maybe even just a thread to try to argue with me.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    ----Stuff I've Made----
    posted 16 March 2003 03:14 PM EDT (US)     14 / 26  
    Never mind... I am not feeling well...

[This message has been edited by Mojo14 (edited 03-16-2003 @ 03:37 PM).]

posted 16 March 2003 03:40 PM EDT (US)     15 / 26  

Quote:

Maybe even just a thread to try to argue with me

he did not try to do anything, he also expressed his opinion, and he is right.

posted 16 March 2003 03:46 PM EDT (US)     16 / 26  
    I created a new scen (check sig) and got three people on ESO to test it making sure that it was AoMH quality, it was si here it is however it's only 2 players and has only a bit of trigg but all who played it loved it So I'd like for you to test

Common don't you want wings

Parrothead Sines- Loveable Asshole
      Music ||Food || Womens
      jjohn is better than Elpea,and the Fonz put together - BK 101
      You're lucky I love you - Elpea
    posted 16 March 2003 04:35 PM EDT (US)     17 / 26  
    Lets acknowledge and move on mojo, I apologize for mouthing off

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    ----Stuff I've Made----
    posted 16 March 2003 04:59 PM EDT (US)     18 / 26  
    Why do you think I said never mind? I don't wanna start a fight .
    posted 16 March 2003 05:05 PM EDT (US)     19 / 26  
    I posted another one (I should probably think of a name for them, maybe something like "Editor Handbook Issue #___ ")

I still appreciate comments or opinions, even if they disagree with me because that helps me shape future articles

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    ----Stuff I've Made----
    posted 16 March 2003 05:06 PM EDT (US)     20 / 26  
    Good idea both of u

A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
    posted 16 March 2003 06:49 PM EDT (US)     21 / 26  
    Uh oh, here comes Big Bad Kumar.

Byz
    Tsunami Studios
    "People are born to succeed, not fail." - Henry David Thoreau
    posted 16 March 2003 09:15 PM EDT (US)     22 / 26  
    Could I beg you (cheeszy!) to post that at aomc too? I’d stick it.
    And would you like to join my campaign team? My campaign fits most of the descriptions thankfully, oh I mean good descriptions. Just balancing would be tested out afterwards, lots of eye candies. It’s Connerfrey, daekar, and me for now.
    As you said, the campaign should be worked on with fair amount of time, but due to how many maps we have... it’s slow. So I need some help anyone interested is welcome in the team.
    posted 16 March 2003 10:14 PM EDT (US)     23 / 26  
    I'll post it there in due time (AOMH is always first to me, hehe )
    Sorry, I can't really help with your campaign thing going on there, I've barely got any time for my world map alone, and then I've got atleast 3 other things I'm itching to start on.

Oh, by the way check your mail, I've got something that might be of interest to you.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
    ----Stuff I've Made----
    posted 16 March 2003 10:17 PM EDT (US)     24 / 26  
    sure thing, just... where did u send the thing? my email is battlestar000@yahoo.co.in notice it's .co.in lol, i don't know why it's NOT .com
    posted 16 March 2003 10:19 PM EDT (US)     25 / 26  
    you from India?

posted 16 March 2003 10:24 PM EDT (US)     26 / 26  
    What? No... not I. Why do you ask?
    The .co.in? lol It doesn’t stand for come from India :P

[This message has been edited by battlestar000 (edited 03-16-2003 @ 10:26 PM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » What is a good scenario and what isn't
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames