You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A strange and freaky... discovery?
posted 02 April 2003 01:24 PM EDT (US)   
I say discovery but I dont know if I discovered it and I write this post assuming that someone else has written a post on the same subject... I just havnt seen it...
Also, before I start I must say that I have alreay written out this post, very detailed, quite long with good description but my computer crashed as I pressed ctl+v to paste the url to get tot he screenie, ah well...

It started when I was in a really zoomed out view and I created land on water, I raised the land above as far as it would go above the water which was as low as it could go.

I then put water on this high land or cliff of grass, thus making perfect conditions for a waterfall. Now there was water above the ocean, but it was on land, with land holding it up as normal. Then I decided to start doing some map making and pressed ctrl+z repeatedly to get rid of all the stuff which is explained (briefly) above.

But guess what? It didn't work, well some did, it got rid of all the grass/land that was placed there leaving water, but the elevation did not disappear... The water was mysteriously holding itself up above the ocean as if there were walls/cliffs made out of water!!

I thought this was freaky and that it doesn't normally happen so I took a screenie which I will put up in a few mins, note: I did not test this scn to see if boats would go on/over it I just took a screenie, put it on village photots. Note 2: the writing above may not seen very good as I am tired, some places may seem a bit melodramatic. My apologies.

Also note again that this is the second time Ive wrote this post, it takes a while so its not detailed or HALF as good as what would have been

And... last note, Im going to edit this and paste the link on as last time I pressed paste it crashed the comp, but dear not, ill edit it as soon as it goes up... when I get back to village photos, reply and tell me if you've noticed this..... bug?

[EDIT WITH URL!]

This best viewed as largely as possible to view the magic water as easily as possible.

URL= http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=2037794

[This message has been edited by MudokonGod (edited 04-02-2003 @ 01:34 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02 April 2003 02:09 PM EDT (US)     1 / 16  
whow that looks cool did you save the SCN please say yes

The Island of Gont, a single mountain lifts its peak a mile above the storm-racked Northeast Sea, is a land famous for wizards.”
"I threw a knife at a baby once." - Angel Socvazius
posted 02 April 2003 02:53 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16  
No, sorry; I didn't save the scenario. But, I'm about to go back to the editor and re-make it (unless it was a one-off fluke.) Well, I'll post back once I've tryed to re-make it on the same map, in the same place.
posted 02 April 2003 03:02 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16  
OK, I've done it, and it works, I've saved the file so I can email it to you if you want...
The magic water on this new file takes up much more of the map and I've put in some longboats to show height difference easier, its like a cliff made outta water. Whats your email?
posted 02 April 2003 03:04 PM EDT (US)     4 / 16  
e-mail it to

The Island of Gont, a single mountain lifts its peak a mile above the storm-racked Northeast Sea, is a land famous for wizards.”

[This message has been edited by Watcher (edited 09-13-2010 @ 07:41 AM).]

posted 02 April 2003 03:25 PM EDT (US)     5 / 16  
This is cool! Could you show us how to do it with a step-by-step instruction?
posted 02 April 2003 03:40 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16  
OK, step-by-step instruction. The way I did it.

1. Make a water map, reduce the water as low as it can do with the lower terrain tool.

2. Put a pacth of grass land (any size) wherever you like.

3. Raise this terrain as high as it can go

4. Cover this raised in water, as much as possible

5. Press ctrl+z repeatedly, this should cause the water to go away first - as you put it in first, then it will get rid of the raised terrain, then the grass land, once the grass land has dissapeared the magic water cliffs will apear

These water cliffs allow boats to go up and down them. As far as my testing has shown, it lets you do anything as in normal water, there's just a vertical piece of water with a plateau on top, like any good cliff/mountain.

I hope this explanatory enough, if not, or if it doesn't work, just tell me in this thread and I'll try to make it clearer and more explicit

posted 02 April 2003 04:04 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16  
that rules I can imagen it being used for a moses campain

posted 02 April 2003 04:30 PM EDT (US)     8 / 16  

Quote:

4. Cover this raised in water, as much as possible

I'm not sure what you meant. Do I copy the land, and then paste it onto the water? Or do I use water and cover up the raised land?

[This message has been edited by Alexandergreat3 (edited 04-02-2003 @ 04:34 PM).]

posted 02 April 2003 04:51 PM EDT (US)     9 / 16  
Wow, that's neat. I think he meant cover the top of the cliff with water.

Byz
Tsunami Studios
"People are born to succeed, not fail." - Henry David Thoreau
posted 02 April 2003 05:18 PM EDT (US)     10 / 16  
nice.... wonder if an LSD induced map would be possible by making everything as screwed as that water plane?
posted 02 April 2003 05:45 PM EDT (US)     11 / 16  
Has anyone been able to do this trick? I still couldn't figure it out.
posted 02 April 2003 05:52 PM EDT (US)     12 / 16  
Yes, it happened to me in the beta, I forgot how I did it.

Can you do the Double Yoda?
A sexual move, where you do a double backflip, insert your penis into the orifice of choice, and scream, "Afraid are you?"
posted 02 April 2003 08:17 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16  
If you copy alot of terrain paste it on water, and then undo it, you'll get square tiles of terrain on the water. No elevation change, just a square tile of terrain that isn't water. You can put units on them, and I think boats can pass over it. I haven't toyed around with this much but I've sure I can make some sort of shallows with this.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----
posted 03 April 2003 00:18 AM EDT (US)     14 / 16  
I know you could make "water hills" in AoC by pasting water on top of a high hill.

(AoC):An easier method... Make a RM script file, then switch land with water. The result was a bunch of shallows and normal water on hills. I had a RMS for AoC like this, but not any more, though I could reproduce it if I tryed.

posted 03 April 2003 09:31 AM EDT (US)     15 / 16  
Yeah, I meant to just paint water on the top of the cliff that you made, put the water on all the way to the edge of the cliff.
posted 03 April 2003 03:25 PM EDT (US)     16 / 16  
When I painted water over that high terrain, its elevation got dropped down. Is this suppose to happen? I'm still unable to reproduce this trick.
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » A strange and freaky... discovery?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames