Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A guide to creating a successful scenario/campaign
posted 30 August 2003 08:05 PM EDT (US)   
Welcome to A guide to creating a successful scenario!

--Since map-editors were around players have custimized the feel of multi and single-player gaming.Not everybody has the patience, or the skills to jump forward and create a detailed map, thats unique and really fun to play.Numerous campaigns/scenarios have been created, and lost attention because they werent outstanding. Well Im here to give you some tips on how to create that "outstanding" scenario/campaign.

First of all, plan your scenario/campaign

I dont know about you, but I cant dive into the editor and work magic, simply because I dont know what to base my creation on, and where the story leads to in a campaign.It has been proven that pre-planning can have positive results, a very effective way to making sure your designs stick out from the rest.
Here are some tips on how to plan your maps:

• Write your ideas on a piece of paper, list causes and effects for ideal triggers and build an interesting story line (campaign)
  • Brainstorm on great ideas that would make a unique multiplayer map
  • Create lists of the events that will occour in your scenario

Putting Your plans to Work

For some, this part is frustrating, for others its enjoyable.Whichever category you fall into, the best part of making something is finishing it.This is where you take your ideas and mold them into the form of a .scn.If you want to make something special thats sticks out from the croud, patience must be one of your virtues.The maps from the workers at Microsoft & ES have lots of work put into them, therefor the campaign is detailed and very interesting, let alone its also historical.Which brings the process of research into mind.If you are going to base your map/campaign historically, research all you can on it.

Making an Interesting Map

An interesting map sticks out.You know why? Its layout was previously and thouroghly planned.Lets face it, we love eye candy.With all of AoM's objects (i.e bushes, flowers) at your disposal this should be easily done.Each part of the map is covered with lush eye candy, and each part should be unique.In mission's try to make things unusual, do something fresh or your campaign will become one of the unnoticed ones.Dont just make it so that you build an army, conquer your opponant and the missions over, try something differant because we can just do that in single/multi-player.Make objectives tough, with obstacles placed.A good map ensures that you cannot just walk to one side through one path.Mountains/Cliffs/Rivers and Forests are great, natural obstacles.Walls, buildings are great artificial blockings.If you are making a multi-mission campaign, let the story (which is the campaigns general lure) unreviel itself in a good pace among the campaign.Strectch it out according to how many missions total your campaign is.Each end of a campaign should be great, it is what the player has been waiting for.This is where your idea brain-storming comes into place.Have a great way to finish the campaign, such as the princess that was kidnapped that you rescued is a traitor, and has let the army waiting outside your gates into your town, catching you off-gaurd is just one example.Although the end may be the most appealing thing in a campaign, dont rush into to fastly.Everything has to come onto an non-understanding player at a understandable rate.

Tips on creating a nicely detailed map

• Take your time, work on your creation for hours, even days
  • Dont rush it, go at a slow pace and make sure things get done right
  • After completing every map, make sure it is bug free and the triggers and cinematics play out smoothly

My Philosophy on A Map

Eye candy is the thing that sticks out the most, your maps should have lots of it.Underestimating a great story, and a smooth pace of missions has left numerious campaign's doomed to the allies of the net.Take your maps seriously, plan them, build them accordingly.Always de-bug your maps before their release.Inspect each and every trigger also.The interface of AoM's map editor is simple and easy to use, even for unexpierenced map creators.All said, So What are you waiting for! Get out there and impress the AoM community with a jaw-dropping scenario/campaign!

|My Site|Recs|SaM|-Fenrir_Ghost - Matches - Challenge Me
I am life.I am luxury.I am the envy, that brings such ugly.I dont have a two-way, nor a cell-phone.My thoughts do not touch yourself alone.I am society.I strive to be the positive inside me.My opinion's are lively, used to describe me.Look at your negative, and how you live it.Dismiss the explicit in your mind and visit the bright side of community, and how you enrich it.
I am the Luxuries of Life, therefor my Life is Luxury
Replies:
posted 31 August 2003 07:46 PM EDT (US)     1 / 16  

Quote:

After completing every map, make sure it is bug free and the triggers and cinematics play out smoothly

This is the one nobody seems to do. Nearly all of the maps seem like they were never playtested once.

Good post

DK
posted 01 September 2003 00:55 AM EDT (US)     2 / 16  
Great guide, I will use some of these tips from now on. But mainly alot of them I have use like playtesting my map. However I always seem a little rush when I am designing a map. Thanks

- Zeus147

Campaigns Designing
Current Campaign: The Last of the Atlanteans
By: Battlestar000 Current Progess: 29%
Paused Campaign: Hades Temple: The Return of Gargarensis
By: Zeus147 Current Progess: 34%
Current Membership: DGDN
posted 01 September 2003 03:24 AM EDT (US)     3 / 16  
cool guide. it'll help us a lot ^_^

Baron Lopi - Age of Mythology designer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud winner of Mythos Clan's cinematic contest
Second placed at AomH's Heroes of Mythica Contest - Before King Arthur (coming soon...)
Nowhere - The Movie (best cinematography 2004)
posted 01 September 2003 02:12 PM EDT (US)     4 / 16  

Quote:

After completing every map, make sure it is bug free and the triggers and cinematics play out smoothly

This is the one nobody seems to do. Nearly all of the maps seem like they were never playtested once.

Want to hear a funny story?

One of the submitions to the Pretty Town Cinematic contest didn't work, his cinematic didn't fire. On closer inspection there was some trigger work errors. Turns out the guy never even tested his cinematic to see if it works, or how it looks, we had to disqualify it from the contest since there was no cinematic.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----
posted 01 September 2003 03:31 PM EDT (US)     5 / 16  
Wow, that would not be a good thing. You work on the map and when you submit it it does not work. You would think that would be common sense to test your map first before submitted. I been designing a campaign for Hades Temple and I almost have to test every 10 mins.

Campaigns Designing
Current Campaign: The Last of the Atlanteans
By: Battlestar000 Current Progess: 29%
Paused Campaign: Hades Temple: The Return of Gargarensis
By: Zeus147 Current Progess: 34%
Current Membership: DGDN

[This message has been edited by Zeus147 (edited 09-01-2003 @ 03:33 PM).]

posted 01 September 2003 05:10 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16  
Bloody hell, I just sod the storyline I make it up as I go along...which is why all of my projects were binned . Great post.

Presenting...
Lord Of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Saga reproduced exclusively for Age Of Mythology
Coming soon..in Fall 04

posted 01 September 2003 05:45 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16  
Nice guide there Ghosty

I've tried camapign/scenario creation before, (and actually made some good ones if I do say so myself ) but I just get bored of map making, adding boring things like water, mountains, trees and animals, so I just don't bother. Oh well, the heroes are fun.

ESO user name - ChimeraArtemis
Rating - 1662
Favourite Major Gods - Isis, Gaia, Hades, Loki

Creator of the Egyptian Myth Unit Guides - Phoenix, Wadjet, Scorpion Man, Scarab
And the Atlantean Myth Unit Guides: Stymphalian Bird, Satyr, Lampades Heka-Gigantes, Man O'War

posted 01 September 2003 07:41 PM EDT (US)     8 / 16  

Quote:

First of all, plan your scenario/campaign

Well, while I agree somewhat, I find it more enjoyable to have a rough outline, and then make up twists as you go along. It helps when you're working on a new fresh idea than an idea that you've had for 2 months.

Byz
Tsunami Studios
"People are born to succeed, not fail." - Henry David Thoreau

[This message has been edited by Byzantine_Warrior (edited 09-01-2003 @ 07:41 PM).]

posted 01 September 2003 08:25 PM EDT (US)     9 / 16  
Darn I wish I could play AoM right now, my lame brother took the mouse and hid it in a safe, and then to my luck got arrested . Well I guess what goes around comes around, but anyhow, its better to plan the story of a campaign before you start because then you dont go "oh wait, I forgot, that wont work if this is going on..." and then you have to delete all that and start over.It's just more seamless to me but whatever works fine for you Yeah I find the testing one a big hassle, especially when your nearing the end and you have to wait through the whole mission to see if the end parts work right.After building campaigns, I know my triggers and events by heart, figuring I tested them about 20 times . I will soon have to get back into the buisness, I havent worked on maps in AoM yet, but I have in alot of past RTS games.I'm going to work on a really good campaign for about a month, see how it turns out. Oh yeah, I would like to add that if you are planning on creating a campaign, I suggest you play through the one provided in the game.I find it basicly a walkthrough of how to make a successful campaign.Just play the campaign but dont go into the gameplay, notice some of the cinematics and events that are going on and take note of map designs.Hey and if your really hardcore you could use a sound program like cool edit pro and even make your own hero voices and sounds.

I am life.I am luxury.I am the envy, that brings such ugly.I dont have a two-way, nor a cell-phone.My thoughts do not touch yourself alone.I am society.I strive to be the positive inside me.My opinion's are lively, used to describe me.Look at your negative, and how you live it.Dismiss the explicit in your mind and visit the bright side of community, and how you enrich it.

[This message has been edited by lifeofluxury12 (edited 09-01-2003 @ 08:37 PM).]

posted 01 September 2003 09:20 PM EDT (US)     10 / 16  
ok well talk to me i'd love to help you with the campaign
posted 02 September 2003 06:34 AM EDT (US)     11 / 16  
Nice Article, Can anyone tell me where I can read an article on triggers for absolute noobs?.

Help me to tally the forums belief patterns, vote in my poll

Tally so far:-
Agnostics:18
Atheists:28
Theists:42
posted 03 September 2003 00:08 AM EDT (US)     12 / 16  
Quite a nice guide. Especially on the part of multi-objective

I wrote out a rough outline of The Last of the Atlanteans, but at the end it was altered to the point that 50%+ of the stuff are changed, to make it better of course.

Also there's a different planning than starting a campaign from a story. It's starting a campaign from a bunch of map ideas. Either you invent a new genre, a bunch of eye candy tricks, or a new set of trigger you want to try out.What you do is to fit a story in afterwards. It requires quite a bit of pondering tho.

However I didn’t really have a problem with “oh wait, this doesn’t make much sense” type of thing... if there’s the rough line, one can always think of something to make it make sense I think the story would be especially strange if it is done this way...
Take a step back, even if it didn’t, there would not be any need to delete the maps to make new ones. To me, just introduce new objectives, cinematic, or even change the old objectives around. I believe a map could always be reused. This is because each scenario is very time consuming and you can’t waste someone’s work just like that.

It’s really important to know the triggers by the heart, and in aom you don’t really have to wait through the whole mission to see if the end works out or not, just select/unselect the “active” thing. I confess that I’ve been having lots of trouble is forgetting to unselect them after testing :P

For each map in a campaign, take out the best shot on each single one of them. It'll be quite a long journey since each map would require quite a while to make. That's a reason why having crews is a really really really really nice thing. Without my crews i probably junked TLOA long ago. I'm really thankful to my friends who have been helping me out

@lifeofluxury12 What campaign are you working on?
@deathmaster666 just look for one of the trigger lists in the aomh library. the triggers function just like the description. Have no fear that it won't work... it works

[This message has been edited by battlestar000 (edited 09-03-2003 @ 00:13 AM).]

posted 03 September 2003 05:37 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16  
Ill start in a bit, I gotta to get used to the aom editor, Imm used to EE's and AoC's but Ill get to it.Im planning ideas for it now, however.You know, a basic storyline to build off

posted 03 September 2003 05:39 PM EDT (US)     14 / 16  
yea its tough i want to work on some map ideas with you though ok?
posted 04 September 2003 03:15 PM EDT (US)     15 / 16  

Quote:

Always de-bug your maps before their release.

how can i de- bug maps? :?

BTW great post you got there! this will deffinly help me!
I guess i shuold print it so i won't lose it lol

posted 04 September 2003 04:54 PM EDT (US)     16 / 16  
means you test 193840328 million times and figure out solutions to each problem. Then you have to make the change by hand.
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » A guide to creating a successful scenario/campaign
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames