You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to Create Water Tunnels - An Eyecandy Guide
posted 18 November 2003 07:16 AM EDT (US)   
Hello and welcome to my first (I think it's my first) Eyecandy thread! Today I will be discussing a very cool effect that I've discovered upon creating my latest (and greatest) scenario. Have you ever thought about creating water tunnels? You know how waterfalls run off of the sides of mountains? Well, this trick creates an illusion where water runs through the mountains. The task is simple and only requires a bit of maintainence once you set it up. Let's get started!

First, create a nice mountain range and decorate it however you like. (I don't have pictures to illustrate how to do this because most people already know. If you don't, please check elsewhere.)

You can either create a small stream or a pond in which the river will flow into from the mountains. I chose a pond. The pond was suitable in my scenario and it provides healing for injured troops (this was done with an entirely different trick, mind you, and we won't be getting into that).

After you've created your pond, use Paint Terrain to paint Black Rock and Coral to create the illusion of your hole. Have the black rock peek out from the water just a tad (this creates the illusion where the blue water fades into black). Use the Raise/ Lower Elevation tool to lower the elevation enough so that your hole appears to "bulge" out from the mountain. Place rocks over the ledge and around the hole to beautify the hole. The shadows of the rocks may drape over the black part of the hole. This can create an illusion of moss hanging from the roof of the hole if done correctly.

Now decorate your pond depending on your environment or however you desire. (I made mine marsh-like and added plenty of seaweed, turtles, trees, and rocks to beautiful the pond.)

Here's what my hole looked like when I finished:
[JPEG, (458.38 KB)]

And at another angle (so you can see the rock formation and bulge).
[JPEG, (435.23 KB)]

Now you must create the entrance to where the river flows. To do this, I used the Mine Walls, Tunnel Opening, Boulder Rolling, Boulder Rolling Small, Granite Rocks, and Boulder Walls. I also used the same terrains that I used to create the hole with.

I didn't spend much time beautifying my entrance (I haven't finished the scenario yet), but I assure you that you will like how it looks when the scenario is complete. (And this trick is only one of many surprises.)

Here's my tunnel entrance:
[JPEG, (469.24 KB)]

I hope this "guide" helped you. I know I didn't go into much detail, but if you have any questions, ask them and I'll answer them as best as I can.

//////////////-Halus-Cryxibus-\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
**********--Halo-Cryxos--**********
*######################*
*######################*
*######################*
Replies:
posted 18 November 2003 09:03 AM EDT (US)     1 / 21  
Looks cool, but, I think it's best if you post more images, also use the [IMG ]www.site\link\link.com[/img ] tag, so you can see the images immediatly

"One may feel fear in the face of danger, as long as one banishes fear when danger actually arives" "So say the wise"
I can help making campaings I can do triggers/map design/storyboard, żż need help ?? mail me on: degrotezoeloeman@hotmail.com
I hate it when people calling me "DMK" or "DMX' call me Reaper
posted 18 November 2003 09:10 AM EDT (US)     2 / 21  
Nope reap, those images are too big for that. (He already used the [IMG] I guess) :P:P
posted 18 November 2003 09:13 AM EDT (US)     3 / 21  
Hmm, ok, he can also make them smaller

BTW : don't use :P, use a small p so : p (together) than you'll get a :P, and a :S=: { ()

sorry, if people found these 2 lines of text annoying

"One may feel fear in the face of danger, as long as one banishes fear when danger actually arives" "So say the wise"
I can help making campaings I can do triggers/map design/storyboard, żż need help ?? mail me on: degrotezoeloeman@hotmail.com
posted 18 November 2003 11:24 AM EDT (US)     4 / 21  
Well the pics look good but you really should of posted step by step pics to go with the instructions...

Presenting...
Lord Of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Saga reproduced exclusively for Age Of Mythology
Coming soon..in Fall 04

posted 18 November 2003 11:53 AM EDT (US)     5 / 21  
My idea

posted 18 November 2003 12:39 PM EDT (US)     6 / 21  

Quote:

Well the pics look good but you really should of posted step by step pics to go with the instructions...

Did you read the thread?

If you read it and you still need a step-by-step walkthrough then I feel sorry for you.

*######################*
*######################*
*######################*

[This message has been edited by Halo (edited 11-18-2003 @ 12:40 PM).]

posted 18 November 2003 12:42 PM EDT (US)     7 / 21  
BTW, I'm looking for responses such as, "That's pretty cool." Or, "That's pretty not cool." ... You know.... I'm trying to build some confidence here and you guys aren't helping me.

If you actually WANT to recreate my water tunnel, then I will help you out, but if you're just asking me for steps when you're not even going to use them, then don't waste my time. No offense, but seriously.

*######################*
*######################*
*######################*
posted 18 November 2003 12:55 PM EDT (US)     8 / 21  
It's a cool eye candy.
posted 18 November 2003 02:16 PM EDT (US)     9 / 21  
"That's pretty cool"

posted 18 November 2003 03:03 PM EDT (US)     10 / 21  
I think the third one is the most interesting out of the three. If you add a waterfall over the tunnel entrance, and it would look even more interesting.
posted 18 November 2003 04:59 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21  
That's pretty cool.

Pentium 4 2.8 ghz 800 FSB, xfx 7800gt OC 256mb, 1gb ddr2 ram @ 533mhz, 160gb raid 0 HD

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
posted 18 November 2003 05:53 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21  

Quote:

I think the third one is the most interesting out of the three. If you add a waterfall over the tunnel entrance, and it would look even more interesting.

Hey, good idea.

*######################*
*######################*
*######################*
posted 19 November 2003 00:50 AM EDT (US)     13 / 21  
Very cool! I suck at eye candy, so I know that it takes a lot of work to make it look good.
posted 19 November 2003 04:14 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21  
very nice idea.

ESO name: ChazFang &DeafPride_Fang
Playing against a better player is one of the most effective way to improve...
What matters most is how you see yourself...
"Our fears and doubts are our traitors"-William Shakesphere
The last 3 lines are very true...
The last 4 lines are very true...
posted 19 November 2003 04:32 PM EDT (US)     15 / 21  
Of course I read the thread, Halo otherwise I wouldn't post my views .I was merely pointing out that it would be better with pictures (for the instructions). I wasn't criticsising the guide in any way.

Presenting...
Coming soon..in Fall 04

[This message has been edited by bo shek mafia ma (edited 11-19-2003 @ 04:34 PM).]

posted 19 November 2003 05:11 PM EDT (US)     16 / 21  
Some nice stuff there Halo have you made anything else interesting?

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
posted 19 November 2003 08:11 PM EDT (US)     17 / 21  
^I agree
they look super Halo

^Redwolf^
Don't sit there and take it! They built it we can break it!-AF
Voted The AOMH favorite newbie '03(first semester)
Member of the Phantom Warrior clan
Proud Member of Dragon Gaming Design Network
\...\Skate and Destroy/.../
posted 19 November 2003 11:44 PM EDT (US)     18 / 21  
Halo, I am very, very impressed. I couldn't have thought of it myself: and that's saying alot, since I'm really good at map design.

Rest assured that I am definately going to use this new trick in my next cpn. Thanks for the wonderful eye candy and I hope to learn more from you soon!

posted 19 November 2003 11:59 PM EDT (US)     19 / 21  

Quote:

Halo have you made anything else interesting?

I sure have!

Please give me one more month to complete my current scenario. I promise you that EVERYONE will love it.

It's about one of the biggest battles that was fought in the book I'm writing.

Here's a mini-showcase:

Yusmouth is the most defensive place in the world of my story. It is the entrance the mountain valley of the Feddek Mountain Chain, where dwarves live. The dwarves came from the man-nation, Gysfol. (The men of Gysfol had used them for slaves.) The dwarves that inhabit Feddek are the offspring of a group of rebel dwarves who fled from Gysfol.

Yusmouth, being the entrance to Feddek, is guarded by both dwarves and a race of elfish creatures known as the Elorienkin. The Elorienkin forest, Eliadia, borders the entrance to Feddek, and because the Elorienkin and dwarves are allies, the Elorienkin have the burden of protecting the entrance.

In the scenario, you will follow the plot of the story. I have not yet mentioned the plot--that was just some background information. The plot is far too complicated to explain, but I'll try to sum it up in one sentence (as TV guides do to sum up a movie when you press Info). "The courageous prince, Hernegus, battles his evil cousin, Boslodimir to win the throne back for his country--to avenge his father's death--and to save his fiance, Aislynne."

Yusmouth takes place during a scene of the story where Hernegus flees from his nation to seek the Oracle, who is an Elorienkin. He orders his loyale (loyal servant), Marlayne, to guide Aislynne and her guardians to Yusmouth for protection from Boslodimir's armies.

The Battle of Yusmouth is a battle that resembles Helms Deep from LOTR in many ways. It is also unique in many ways (you will see this in the showcase).

In the scenario, you will employ units from the Elorienkin army, such as the Arosarcus, Kentauroi, and Satyroi. And because you are positioned in dwarven territory, you will be able to use dwarves to gather your resources. Actually, dwarves are the only units you may use to gather resources; with the exception of six Elorienkin villagers, who are not replaceable. The map will be consist of evenly distributed resources. There will be lots of gold mines hidden throughout the map, food will be plentiful in some locations, and wood is clearly the most abundant. In the defensive position of Yusmouth, there will not be much gold or food, so you will eventaully have to venture out and explore the mountains before the final attack.

*######################*
*######################*
*######################*
posted 20 November 2003 00:02 AM EDT (US)     20 / 21  

Quote:

Halo, I am very, very impressed. I couldn't have thought of it myself: and that's saying alot, since I'm really good at map design.
Rest assured that I am definately going to use this new trick in my next cpn. Thanks for the wonderful eye candy and I hope to learn more from you soon!

Thank you very much, Gaurdian_112!

I like to try to impliment my own eyecandy. In my current scenario, there will be a few bits of eyecandy that no one has ever discovered. This was just a teaser.

*######################*
*######################*
*######################*

[This message has been edited by Halo (edited 11-21-2003 @ 09:12 AM).]

posted 20 November 2003 02:43 PM EDT (US)     21 / 21  
Sounds good, good work its going to be good

Presenting...
Coming soon..in Fall 04

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » How to Create Water Tunnels - An Eyecandy Guide
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames