You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: "Triggers Stop Working" Guide
posted 06 December 2003 09:05 AM EDT (US)   
Triggers stop working Guide

It has come to my attention that alot of you are experiencing the "Triggers stop working" problem. I'm going to help you fix this problem, and tell you what leads to this problem.

The "Trigger's Stop Working" Problem:

Well, this is about the most frustrating, time consuming, and mind destroying problem of them all. Why does it happen? All my damn work!

Well, to answer your question, it happens because you made a mistake. What kind of mistake? I'll start by giving you a list of things that cause this to happen:

Adding " to your dialogue: If you add quotation marks to your dialogue ("), you will effectively destroy all your other triggers. Avoid these at all costs.

Looping Music, then using the Fire event effect:

Let's say you did this:

Trigger_1: Condition=Always
Effect= Soundfilename
Fire Event=Trigger_2

Trigger_2: Condition= Always (or Timer)
Effect= Soundfilename
Fire Event=Trigger_1

Trigger_1 and Trigger_2 are looped.

If you do this, you'll basically wipe out all your trigger work.

Leaving multiple timer triggers related to cinematics Active:

If you have around 10 Timer Triggers all active at the same time, all related to cinematics (like all of them dialogue or camera tracks), you might experience this problem.

These are the reasons I know of so far.

How to Deal with this Problem

So how do you solve this? Gah, I have 400 triggers, how will I find these bugged triggers?

- Go through the last 50 triggers you made.

- Start from the bottom and delete ten triggers. Make sure not to save. Test it. If it works, then go back, reload the scn, and the problem should be within those 10 triggers.

- If this doesn't work, go through the last 50 and make sure that no "Active" trigger is set where its not supposed to.

- Look for sound triggers and dialogue triggers: they are mostly the cause for the problem.

- Repeat the procedure with the next 50 until you find the solution to your problem. But usually it is your last triggers that causes it.

How to Prevent this from Happening

Always test your scn. Instead of creating 100 triggers than testing it, test it after you've done ten. That way, if you have the problem, it won't affect you too much while you try to fix it.

Also, make sure to avoid the problems suggested above. Don't use the "loop" function too much. I prefer using the Fire event effect more.

Hope this helped solve all or most of your problems!

Gaurdian_112

[This message has been edited by Gaurdian_112 (edited 12-06-2003 @ 09:07 AM).]

Replies:
posted 06 December 2003 09:45 AM EDT (US)     1 / 7  
one other thing if you have a fire event connected to the bad trigger or to another fire event that connects to the bad trigger, ect. Then those triggers will most likley need to be replaced too. I have had this problem a few times before.
posted 06 December 2003 09:49 AM EDT (US)     2 / 7  
It can also be a combination of triggers, or is that what you ment, spbogie?

Anyways, good article. Many people (including me ) have asked this question already.

posted 06 December 2003 09:54 AM EDT (US)     3 / 7  
If you have a fire event connected to those triggers, you don't need to change those triggers, because if you fix the ones they're fired to then everything is fine.
posted 06 December 2003 01:39 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7  
Last time i had to redo all of the fire ecent as well as the problem trigger.
posted 06 December 2003 08:28 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7  
good post Gaurdian! even though I've never had any of these problems, I'm sure it will help all those who do.

^Redwolf^
Don't sit there and take it! They built it we can break it!-AF
Voted The AOMH favorite newbie '03(first semester)
Member of the Phantom Warrior clan
Proud Member of Dragon Gaming Design Network
\...\Skate and Destroy/.../
posted 06 December 2003 08:56 PM EDT (US)     6 / 7  
i have found just uncheaking the ACTIVE box and making new triggers inactive ,then reactivating them 1 by 1 saved me more time than deleting them,
but "there is always more than 1 way to skin a cat"
good post gaurdian as it seems to be a common problem

maybe a beginers troubleshooting guide could be made a sticky thread?
although there is already alot of sticky-ness about as is

posted 08 December 2003 06:44 AM EDT (US)     7 / 7  
yeah
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » "Triggers Stop Working" Guide
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames