You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Scenario Designers Hitch Hikers Guide To Making A Quality Showcase For Your Scenario/Campaing!!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 14 December 2003 06:21 AM EDT (US)   
A Scenario Designers Hitch Hikers Guide To Making A Quality Thread!

You've just arrived in AoMH. You have a great idea in your head and it would work perfectly in AoMs editor. But how to start? Your'e a bit imtimidated by the amount of showcases in the fourm. You look at one of the more established showcases and you think: "how did they do that?" Well, you can now find out with the Scenario Designers Hitch Hikers Guide To Making A Quality Thread!

STEP I: THE TITLE OF YOUR THREAD

This is were you start. You have to attract the fourmers attention with your'e title. No one wants to read "mking new cpn". That is a disgrase to the AoMH Scenario Design fourm! In my opinion, a title looks much more professinal when there are capital letters in the correct place, there arent any abrevations (sp) (like "lol" or "cpn" though you can get away with stuff like "WW2" or "LoTR" ). Also, I find that if you stick a "Campaing Annoucment" in front of the title, it gives the thread a little extra boost.
Don't put the details in your thread title(like "Call Of Medusa campaing - its going to be really good, heaps of eyecandy, loads of triggers, great map design"), just the...title. Oh and don't make the thread title ridicliously long (like I have )!

STEP II: THE THREAD ITSELF!

Obviously, the most important bit of the thread. A title is useless without the actual showcase. We need DETAILS! I'm not bothered if the "cpn is GUNNA R0X0R L33T H4GH40578Z0X0R" I'm more intrested in some facts about the campaing/scenario IN PROPER ENGLISH! There will be no Counter Strike talk here! (yeh I did that wen I was smurfing but thats beside the point). When I always create a scenario/campaing showcase (and believe me, I've created a lot) I start with the story (although it doesent hurt to type out the title again, in bold and in capitals). Now, we don't want a massive novel. Just a paragraph or two about your story of your scenario/campaing (I'll use scen/cpn from now on its geting annoying having to type out scenario/campaing all the time). Think of it as if you were writing a blurb for a book (a blurb, if you don't know is the infomation on the back of the book ). I find that if you center the story, it looks far more impressive. And use italics, maybe? Use all the bb code that you think will help you.

Right. We have the story. But this is not a fourm about stories. This is about Scenario Design. So now we need some DETAILS! What is actually in your scen/cpn? Anything positive you can think of about your scen/cpn, PUT IT IN! And it doesent hurt to overexagrate (sp!!!). But don't go over the top, saying: "This scenario is so outstanding, it will change your life completly". Some things to think about when talking about the features in your scen/cpn...

The Eye Candy
New Tricks used in the scen editor
The storyline
The amount of triggers
The cinematics
The amount of scenarios, if your'e doing a cpn

Also, if you find a really good comment amongst the fourmers who reply, PUT IT IN THE MAIN THREAD! Ever seen the back of video game boxes, where they say "The best game in the world" PC Gamer? Well apply that to your thread! See a good comment, put it in your thread (remember to include the authors name though).

Screenshots are a 100% MUST here however. It shows that you have done some work on your scen/cpn. I won't go into details about uploading pictures, ask someone else

And on the subject of screenshots, put them in URL FORM. And when that is done CHANGE THE NAME OF THE URL! Looks far more impressive, in my opinion

STEP III: ANY ADDITONAL COMMENTS

Which units are you using for who? What are the levels about? Include them at the end. And any other comments about your scen/cpn.

And now I bid you all farewell! I hope you found by guide useful!

NOTE: These comments are all MY OPINION ONLY. You do not need to follow them to make a quality thread. These are just my opinions

Presenting...
Lord Of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Saga reproduced exclusively for Age Of Mythology
Coming soon..in Fall 04

Replies:
posted 14 December 2003 08:40 AM EDT (US)     1 / 32  
Are there any hitch hikers on AoMH?

Bet u got the idea from a book

Glorfindel -Age of Mythology Heaven
My site Runescape- Awsome Online game! The new 3d verson has been released. My RS name is Tartariandog! My forums Best design team ever!
Eso rates/names= Tartariandog-1600, PW_Glorfindel_- 1556, PW_Glorfindel__-1600.
Winner of the most underated forumer award!

posted 14 December 2003 08:46 AM EDT (US)     2 / 32  

Quote:

Bet u got the idea from a book

Yup - the funniest one in the world!

Presenting...
Coming soon..in Fall 04

posted 14 December 2003 08:51 AM EDT (US)     3 / 32  
I wonder if this is why i didn't release a good campaign showcase. What did i do wrong?

Cavuy | Writer, Graphic & Web Designer
ex-Modder and Scenario Designer | Legacy
Member since May 5th, 2003
posted 14 December 2003 09:21 AM EDT (US)     4 / 32  
Actually I think that thread is a good one!

Presenting...
Coming soon..in Fall 04

posted 14 December 2003 09:24 AM EDT (US)     5 / 32  
Thanks.

Cavuy | Writer, Graphic & Web Designer
ex-Modder and Scenario Designer | Legacy
Member since May 5th, 2003
posted 14 December 2003 11:12 AM EDT (US)     6 / 32  
lol, my threads are always grubby, to showcase a scenerio.

Proud Member of the:
Orion Clan

--===Orion_Sheeprider===--
Proud Designer of:
[Midas Design]

posted 14 December 2003 11:14 AM EDT (US)     7 / 32  
I think this will be stickied.
posted 14 December 2003 12:04 PM EDT (US)     8 / 32  
I wish this thread was around when I released my campaign showcase so long ago. thread died after a few days with like 10 posts . Bah, when I realease it, I'll make a super duper one.

^Redwolf^
Don't sit there and take it! They built it we can break it!-AF
Voted The AOMH favorite newbie '03(first semester)
Member of the Phantom Warrior clan
Proud Member of Dragon Gaming Design Network
\...\Skate and Destroy/.../
posted 14 December 2003 12:06 PM EDT (US)     9 / 32  
*cough*Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy*cough*

My site Runescape- Awsome Online game! The new 3d verson has been released. My RS name is Tartariandog! My forums Best design team ever!

posted 14 December 2003 12:18 PM EDT (US)     10 / 32  
nice thread!

it makes me want to make a showcase right now

Member of the Massassi Knights clan for Jedi Outcast and mapper for Aom, Jedi Outcast, Swgb, Aoe, Aok, EE, and Star Craft

Don't mess with a Swede...

http://mknights.kicks-ass.net/(my clan)

posted 14 December 2003 12:36 PM EDT (US)     11 / 32  

Quote:

*cough*Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy*cough*

Yup

Thanks for your comments guys.

Presenting...
Coming soon..in Fall 04

posted 14 December 2003 05:11 PM EDT (US)     12 / 32  
wd, alot of thought has gone into this
however
the title should be "Guide to filling forums with BS that probably wont happen"
posted 15 December 2003 07:39 AM EDT (US)     13 / 32  

Quote:

I won't go into details about uploading pictures, ask someone else

If you have no place to upload you picture, goto http://uploadit.org.It's a bit slow, but you don't need to sign up or anything. The only limit is that the file must be under 600k and you can only upload 5 pictures per ip address per day.

Dnas
Wildfire games 0 A. D. texture artist.
Rest In Peace, Flipbizcut (1979-2005)

[This message may have been edited by Dnas (edited 49-92-4096 @ 42:93 PM).]

posted 15 December 2003 09:15 AM EDT (US)     14 / 32  
I have found an awesome free image hosting sevice, that is free, and provides (for you nerds)10 Megabites of storage (which is a ton) for images, I host my signature on it and it works like a charm. It uploads practically insantly.

Need Help? E-mail Me!
Completed Projects: Diety Battle II
Projects in Development:
Supreme Deity I 34% Complete
posted 15 December 2003 11:48 AM EDT (US)     15 / 32  
nice thread, you've got yourself a nice little news spot on the front page again bo

Come back strong like the powered-up pacman.
posted 15 December 2003 02:30 PM EDT (US)     16 / 32  
Huh I read 3 lines and came to the conclusion:

Read what you write and learn to type

posted 15 December 2003 03:26 PM EDT (US)     17 / 32  
Real bo man.

posted 15 December 2003 03:30 PM EDT (US)     18 / 32  
W00t news post

Thanks for your comments people!

Presenting...
Coming soon..in Fall 04

posted 15 December 2003 07:04 PM EDT (US)     19 / 32  
This is just a Fad "problem" around here and I hope it calms down soon and people stop worrying about this.
posted 15 December 2003 10:08 PM EDT (US)     20 / 32  

Quote:

*cough*hitch hikers guide to the galaxy*cough*

lol........This is a great guide.

"You can't look dignified when your having fun" Wes Janson- Star Wars X-Wing: Solo Command
posted 16 December 2003 11:04 AM EDT (US)     21 / 32  
Thanks, it's "Mostly Harmless" (man I'm really pissed off that people think LoTR and even Dark Materials is better than Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy!

If you have any questions/queries then dont hesitate to ask me in this thread or email me at tynanjames@hotmail.com

Presenting...
Coming soon..in Fall 04

posted 16 December 2003 01:05 PM EDT (US)     22 / 32  
It seems people reading this forum know alot about how to do scenarios so will someone plz show me how to use triggers so i can showcase one.
posted 16 December 2003 01:59 PM EDT (US)     23 / 32  
sure, it's called opening the editor and then pressing alt+f4 twice to open up the very simple very easy trigger dialogue.

Don't spam these threads please and post a new topic if you need help....

By the way Bo Tolkein is the best author ever, but Adams is the best commedy author, have you read his other stuff? Dirk Gently's Holistic Detectictive Agency for example.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----
posted 16 December 2003 03:28 PM EDT (US)     24 / 32  

Quote:

Tolkein is the best author ever

As Shiva said to me, I suppose I am too young to fully appreciate Tolkiens work.

As for the other Adams books, no. I've only just got into Hitch Hikers Guide after my dad reccomended it for me. I intend to read...The Salmon Of Doubt I think it is or something (also by Adams - it's a real shame that he died, he is so funny!)? Anyway, if the book you mentioned is as funny as Hitch Hikers Guide then yeh (even if it isnt as funny then...yeh I'd still read it , it'll be on my reading list (but not any time soon, just had a quick peep at my Christmas presents and it looks like I've got the complete set of the Diskworld books )

Anyway, thanks for taking an intrest but I think we're a bit off topic here.

EDIT: Sorry for the over usage of the "" smiley

Presenting...
Coming soon..in Fall 04

[This message has been edited by bo shek mafia ma (edited 12-16-2003 @ 03:29 PM).]

posted 17 December 2003 03:32 AM EDT (US)     25 / 32  
Its great, make more quides man.

Like how to make 15 mile high statues in the aom editor

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » The Scenario Designers Hitch Hikers Guide To Making A Quality Showcase For Your Scenario/Campaing!!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames