You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Oddy, i need your help
posted 15 January 2004 01:36 PM EDT (US)   
Hey Oddy, I've recently downloaded your campaign "Survival Of The Phoenix". I noticed that you have found a good way to skip the cinematics, without triggers, just with one wich blocks the sounds or so. I've already seen this method in ES' scenarios, but I haven't found out yet what I have to do to skip cinematics that smart.

I would of course also be happy if s.o. other told me the solution, but don't tell me I had to make an "abort cinematic" condition and then teleport all the units and turn cinematic mode off or so...

Replies:
posted 16 January 2004 11:20 AM EDT (US)     1 / 17  
I'm flattered... I've already answered this guy on mail now ;-)
posted 16 January 2004 01:46 PM EDT (US)     2 / 17  
Why not post it here so we can all benefit from your infinite wisdom, oddy? Hm? Because I'm sick of "Abort Cinematic" and it's foul treachery...

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
big.vitt@gmail.com
posted 16 January 2004 01:51 PM EDT (US)     3 / 17  
O well, since I don't have the mail anymore , would AoMPlayer000 be so kind to ctrl-c it into a reply?
posted 16 January 2004 02:56 PM EDT (US)     4 / 17  
Yeah I'd very much like to know how it's done.

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
posted 17 January 2004 07:12 AM EDT (US)     5 / 17  
Okay, here's the solution:

The only thing you need to do to skip cinematics properly, you must take a
better look at the "file"-menu. There is a function called "Build
Cinematic". If you do so, AoM will make your opening cinematic 'skippable'.
Your scenario must have
-the Cinematic Mode ON effect in the very first activated trigger, or at
least one with high priority and
-a Cinematic Mode OFF effect.

Then, AoM will
-play the Cinematic from On to Off,
-once with Low Graphics, once with High Graphics and
-save the situation at the end of the Cinematic (after Cinematic Mode Off).

Now the cinematic is skippable. Remember, if you change things aupposed to
happen after the cinematic in the scenario (triggers), they will not be
noticable after skipping the cinematic. Also, if you change the cinematic's
triggers, it won't be skippable anymore.
You can use the Abort Cinematic effect if you want to change the 'end
situation' of the cinematic; for instance, if the cinematic ends while a
unit walking, the unit will stand still at that position if you skip it -
you can let it continue using Abort Cinematic. You can't make more then 1
cinematic skippable per scenario! Use other cinematic-only scenario's for
outro cinematics.

posted 17 January 2004 07:37 AM EDT (US)     6 / 17  
That's exactly what I said, indeed .
posted 19 January 2004 10:10 AM EDT (US)     7 / 17  
Ya your right about the one cinematic per scenario. I tryed layering them in from last to first and it didn't work. Yet I bet if you check out the es campaigns they go more than one skippable. Which makes me think there must be a way.
posted 19 January 2004 10:35 AM EDT (US)     8 / 17  
well tryed out scenario 30 "all is not lost" and the second cinematic is not skippable. Yet I think it may still be posible to choose which cinematic you want to escape.
posted 19 January 2004 10:39 AM EDT (US)     9 / 17  
Honestly, I don't think so

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 01-19-2004 @ 11:29 AM).]

posted 19 January 2004 12:04 PM EDT (US)     10 / 17  
Well, the most outro-cinematics are in fact totally new cinematic-only scenario's. What you could try is disabling the intro-cinematic starting trigger and enabling the starting trigger for the cinematic you want - though I don't give you much chance .
posted 19 January 2004 01:23 PM EDT (US)     11 / 17  
I have a couple of scenarios with a final cinematic. Fortunately, they're only about 30 seconds each, so they won't require any skippage.

Now, as I understand it, this will add the abort cinematic effect into the scenario automatically. But in many of my intros, I have some triggers that destroy or change units at various points. Will I still be required to make a trigger to change or destroy the units in question after the cinematic has been aborted, or will it, say, somehow cycle through all the triggers at high-speed, thus doing what needs to be done with those units?

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com
posted 19 January 2004 01:54 PM EDT (US)     12 / 17  
It won't add any trigger. It just reminds the whole intro and when you play the scenario and skip the intro it should act as if the intro would have been played in a few miliseconds. It just presses a kind of "fast forward" button (well, actually not, but I think you could imagine it like that).

You don't have to add any triggers, except sth goes on after the intro, like a walking unit (it'll stop if you press esc). See above for details.

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 01-19-2004 @ 02:24 PM).]

posted 19 January 2004 02:24 PM EDT (US)     13 / 17  
Yep, that's what I wanted to know. So it does go through all the effects and triggers between Cinematic Mode: ON and Cinematic Mode: OFF?

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 01-19-2004 @ 02:25 PM).]

posted 19 January 2004 02:39 PM EDT (US)     14 / 17  
At least, it should do that. But if you have set tech or difficulty triggers you should use them before the intro starts (-> highest priority), since it sometimes neglects them (don't know why, perhaps this happens just in my case).
What also helps to prevent errors: The trigger which ends the cinematic should have the cinematic mode off effect as the very first effect and then the various fire events, etc...
posted 25 January 2004 04:18 AM EDT (US)     15 / 17  
I never used build cinematic but............ I did find a way to skip any cinematic before it starts with triggers. The only problem is to link the events that would have taken place after the cinematic to the "skip" triggers. I start a 15 second timer called "Type skip to skip intro". Then I set the cinematic to start at the end of the timer. Also...........I make a trigger with the condition "contains chat skip" with the effect "stop timer". Now in order to prevent both the cinematic trigger and the skip trigger to fire together(Typing skip during the last few seconds) I first have to set a quest variable usually to zero but it doesnt matter. And I will call it "skip1". Then I add a condition to both triggers "quest variable skip1 = 0". Finally I add an effect to both triggers "quest variable skip1 = 1. Then I say to myself................Is all this work necessary? Yes of course it is. After dying 5 or 6 times and starting over I dont want to see the cinematic each time regardless how good they are.

I am great. But I know it. That surely is a sign that I am not.
posted 25 January 2004 04:56 AM EDT (US)     16 / 17  
That is just stupid. Skipping the cinematic with the Esc key without ANY triggers is much better, so have a look at the instructions below.
posted 25 January 2004 05:04 AM EDT (US)     17 / 17  
I wouldnt call it stupid because you can skip some cinematics and watch the others......total control. And it is only two triggers per cinematic. Quest variables rule!

I am great. But I know it. That surely is a sign that I am not.

[This message has been edited by Student of War (edited 01-25-2004 @ 05:26 AM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Oddy, i need your help
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames