Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: RPG TRIGGER TRICK -- summoning units
posted 08 April 2004 02:32 AM EDT (US)   
Have you ever wanted to give your hero unit the ability to summon a helper unit... such as a Colossus or a Fire Giant?

Unfortunately, with the current triggers available in the AoM Editor, it is not possible to create a unit next to some other unit, if that some other unit is constantly moving.

However, there is a cool, simple trigger trick that can be used to make this possible!

Download the DEMO SCENARIO here!

OVERVIEW OF THE TRICK:

1) Deploy a small, flying unit (raven) at a map corner
2) Immediately turn that flying unit into a Projectile *see projectile list*
3) Move the projectile to your hero
4) Change the projectile into the unit type of your choice!

TRIGGER SET-UP:

Trigger A - "Modify Projectile" (Active, High priority)

Condition: Always
Effect: Modify Proto Unit (the projectile of your choice, such as the Lampades Bolt; speed 200, Lifespan 9999)

Trigger #1 - "Hero's Special" (Active, High priority, Loop)

Condition: Timer 15 seconds
Effect: Army Deploy (Army = Ghost Army1; ProtoUnit = Raven; Count = 1; clear existing units on)
Effect: Army Change Type (Army = Ghost Army1; ProtoUnit = Any Projectile)
Effect: Army Move to Unit (Army = Ghost Army1; target unit = the hero)
Effect: Fire Event (Trigger #2)

Trigger #2 - "Hero's Unit" (Inactive, High priority)

Condition: Army Distance to Unit (Army = Ghost Army1; target unit = the hero; distance is <= 8)
Effect: Army Change Type (Army Ghost Army1; ProtoUnit = any unit you want your hero to summon!)

[This message has been edited by Alexandergreat3 (edited 04-09-2004 @ 02:33 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08 April 2004 02:34 AM EDT (US)     1 / 5  
List of Projectiles:

Arrow
Arrow Flaming
Ballista Shot
Catapult Shot
Dust Devil
Fire Siphon Fire
Javelin Flaming
Lampades Bolt
Manticore Bard
Meteorite
Mummy Flies
Petsuchos Projectile
Petrobolos Shot
Priest Projectile
Rocket . . . (Invisible!)
Sling Stone
Spear
Spear Flaming
Volley
Wadjet Spit . . . (Almost Invisible!)

posted 08 April 2004 02:54 AM EDT (US)     2 / 5  
Wow, I'm going to try this out first thing when I wake-up... or tomorrow, whatever. Great find!

Byz
Tsunami Studios
"People are born to succeed, not fail." - Henry David Thoreau
posted 08 April 2004 03:11 AM EDT (US)     3 / 5  
Nice trick with the projectiles! I had a similar set up working, but instead of a projectile, I just summoned an anubite and gave it 999 speed, and changed the anubite's unit type and owner when it reached the hero. Your way will be much more asthetically pleasing, I thank you.

I've constantly been asking for geometry test triggers in games, but few other than classics like Myth II: Soulblighter had them. The basic idea in a geometry trigger is that it searches the map for any unit/location target defined by certain parameters. The trigger, upon finding the target, adds the target to the equivalent of an Army in AoM. As you can see, this would make for some incredibly cool ingame trigger sequences.

One quick note about Myth II, now that I've started talking about it. The ingame scripting and editing actions in that game are incredibly powerful. The trigger system is very similar to the AoM trigger system, except that each "trigger" type (e.g. conditions/effects) had modifyable parameters. For example, the generic "Unit In Area" trigger, called a Test Unit condition could have parameters added to it to only register units in the area with greater than a % health or mana, or only register a certain unit type carrying a certain artifact. Also, even though the game is several years old, it still has very good graphics for an RTS hybrid. However, the most fun part of the game was the projectile editor. Archers shooting flaming, exploding, instant-kill pigs = roxxor. In fact, I still insist that Myth II was the first 3D game with very successful editing tools.

Ok, maybe that wasn't so quick. Sorry for making you sit through that.

EDIT: Gah, beat me to it, Byz, lol. Apparently there are advantages to not spewing a 5 page thesis paper whenever you speak. TS 4 the win!

[This message has been edited by PseudoWalrus (edited 04-08-2004 @ 03:13 AM).]

posted 08 April 2004 05:33 PM EDT (US)     4 / 5  
Nice. Well, it isn't impossable. First I made an Army Deploy at Vector effect, which deploys a unit at an input vector.

1) When the summoning is needed, find the current vector of the unit using XS.

2) Store it as a variable.

3) Increment the variable a few times.

4) Use the incremented variable as a target for the unit to be deployed.

If you didn't understand this, don't worry about it. I didn't understand it until a while ago.

"War does not determine who is right, only who is left." - Bertrand Russell
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

[This message has been edited by CodeLabMaster (edited 04-08-2004 @ 05:43 PM).]

posted 09 April 2004 02:38 AM EDT (US)     5 / 5  
The demo Scenario is now available here!

Hey guys, try the demo scenario and see how you like the trick. It's a lot more fun in action. =)

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » RPG TRIGGER TRICK -- summoning units
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames