Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to make a Day/Night Cycle Guide
posted 16 May 2004 00:05 AM EDT (US)   
Aurons Day/Night Cycle Guide

Indroduction: This guide will teach you how to make a day/night cycle, using some basic effects and triggers, and learn how and why they are being used. If you have some experience with triggering, then this will be not be too complicated to understand. Keep in mind that this is one of the many ways you can achieve this effect. Some others day/night cycle triggering requires Looping, which sometimes makes people confuse. The below example is just a regular 5 trigger day/night cycle which doesnt require much skill to work it out.

A). A day/night cycle is a very clever feature to add to an scenario. An average day/night cycle consist of 4 lightings, following this order; Dawn, Day, Dusk, and Night. You can create a larger day/night cycle by adding more lightings into it, or even customizing and creating your own lighting via notepad.

Effects & Conditions: The reason why we are using Set Lighting effect to build a day/night cycle is because is the only effect that will cause the lighting in the entire scenario change. You must also realize that when there is a changing lighting, it will occur in all the places of the scenario. It is impossible to make a certain lighting in one corner of the map, and another different lighting in another place of the map at the same time, not even possible using the Lighting editor, or manually creating a customized lighting.

another effect is required in order to create a day/night cycle is Fire Event. fire event is in charge of activating triggers which werent set to be active, and therefore, these triggers which are unactive are unable to work, unless using this effect. when using this effect in a day/night cycle, it will be in charge of activating the following lighting.

The only condition used in a day/night cycle is Timer. this condition is in charge of activating the effect set lighting and fire event after the desired amount of time is reached. Timer works in seconds.

Getting Started: Now that you know what effects/conditons and why you are using them, is time to know how to use them and get them to work. The first thing you must realize before triggering is:

1).Select the starting lighting on the Lighting option NOT with the triggers.
2).Decide When the different lightings will activate, and How long each lighting will last.
3).Now that you have the main ideas already, its time to work on the triggers. The following sample has 300 seconds(5 minutes) for each lighting,and Default(Day) set as the starting light.

MAIN:        X Active || NOT Looped || NOT Run Immediately
Effect: Set Lighting: Dusk
Fire Event: TRIGGER_2
Condition: Timer: 300(5 minutes)

TRIGGER_2: NOT Active || NOT Looped || NOT Run Immediately
Effect: Set Lighting: Night
Fire Event: TRIGGER_3
Condition: Timer: 300

TRIGGER_3: NOT Active || NOT Looped || NOT Run Immediately
Effect: Set Lighting: Dawn
Fire Event: TRIGGER_4

TRIGGER_4: NOT Active || NOT Looped || NOT Run Immediately
Effect: Set Lighting: Default(Day)
Fire Event: TRIGGER_5

TRIGGER_5: NOT Active || NOT Looped || NOT Run Immediately
Effect: Set Lighting: Dusk
Fire Event: TRIGGER_2

NOTE: The fade option on the Set Lighting effect is to give the lighting you choose a longer or shorter period in which it will disappear(banish), or “Fade Away”. By putting a high number, it will cause the lighting to banish very slow, creating a change of light that is barely noticeable.

B). In General, the trigger called MAIN Starts The Cycle. After 5 minutes, it will fire, making the lighting Dusk activate and activating Trigger_2 with the condition of waiting 5 more minutes. After the 5 minutes have passed, Trigger_2 will fire, activating Lighting Night, activating at the same time Trigger_3 with the same condition, which makes the next lighting activate after 5 minutes. Same procedure apply’s for Trigger_4. However, after Trigger_5 has been activated by Trigger_4, Trigger_5 will not activate the starting trigger of the cycle which is Main. It will activate Trigger_2, which is the next lighting that goes after Dusk.

ATTRIBUTES: You can also make your Day/Night Cycle more realistic by adding sounds to a different lightings. For instance, Default(Day) would combine with bird sounds, and Night would combine with Wolf and Crickets sounds. You might as well be able to make other sorts of events when a lighting takes place. You can apply this same method to other things such as units moving from one place to another without stopping. You can download a Day/Night Cycle Template i created as an example. you can download it Here

HINTS: Group the triggers, and name them to make your scenario more organized. If the cycle is not working, check whether you accidently checked a “Run Immediately” or a “Loop” Box.

FINAL NOTES: By reading this guide, you are now able to make a proper day/night cycle. If you couldnt managed to work it out, i would encourage you to keep trying, and downloading my day/night cycle template to guide yourself. you are also free to use the triggers in this .scx template for your own personal use. Download Template HERE

[This message has been edited by auron 2 (edited 10-23-2004 @ 04:56 PM).]

Replies:
posted 16 May 2004 00:20 AM EDT (US)     1 / 21  
You only need to have four triggers, not five.

Dusk: Active
Condition:
Timer: 300
Effect:
Set Lighting: Dusk
Fire Event: Night

Night: NOT Active
Condition:
Effect:
Set Lighting: Night
Fire Event: Dawn

Dawn: NOT Active
Condition:
Effect:
Set Lighting: Dawn
Fire Event: Day

Day: NOT Active
Condition:
Effect:
Set Lighting: Default
Fire Event: Dusk

//////////////-Halus-Cryxibus-\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
**********--Halo-Cryxos--**********
*######################*
*######################*
*######################*

[This message has been edited by Halo (edited 05-16-2004 @ 00:25 AM).]

posted 16 May 2004 00:28 AM EDT (US)     2 / 21  
yeah, i guess it can also be done that way. although when you put fire event the trigger called MAIN, you'll have to re-activate once again the trigger MAIN and put it active. but either way works fine. like i said above on my post, there are many different ways to make a day/night cycle.

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||

[This message has been edited by auron 2 (edited 05-16-2004 @ 00:30 AM).]

posted 16 May 2004 00:30 AM EDT (US)     3 / 21  
Aye! Tis more efficient, you see.

*######################*
*######################*
*######################*
posted 16 May 2004 00:31 AM EDT (US)     4 / 21  
both ways are the same.

posted 16 May 2004 00:34 AM EDT (US)     5 / 21  
Same? Oh, if you mean the same effects in the game, then yes, you are right. But I mean it's more efficient because it's one less trigger. That's all I meant by it. Sorry if I offended you.

*######################*
*######################*
*######################*
posted 16 May 2004 00:43 AM EDT (US)     6 / 21  
great guide thigny...

(¯`·.¸¸.·>§σŕçęŕõŕ øƒ Σŕεbùś<·.¸¸.·´¯)
Professor for the Tsuninversity
Teacher for the NDA
Moderator At Age Quest
posted 16 May 2004 00:44 AM EDT (US)     7 / 21  
lol offended? no, not at all

posted 16 May 2004 00:47 AM EDT (US)     8 / 21  
Great Job! The more guides that are available, the better quality scenarios we should see out there.

Where be your gibes now? your gambols? your songs?
Your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar?
Not one now, to mock your own grinning?
posted 16 May 2004 00:54 AM EDT (US)     9 / 21  

Quote:

Great Job! The more guides that are available, the better quality scenarios we should see out there.

you think your good just cause you made 2 guides that got into the libary

(¯`·.¸¸.·>§σŕçęŕõŕ øƒ Σŕεbùś<·.¸¸.·´¯)
Professor for the Tsuninversity
Teacher for the NDA
Moderator At Age Quest
posted 16 May 2004 01:46 AM EDT (US)     10 / 21  
Could you submit this to The Tsuniversity? It'd be appreciated.

Byz
Tsunami Studios
"People are born to succeed, not fail." - Henry David Thoreau
posted 16 May 2004 03:06 AM EDT (US)     11 / 21  

Quote:

you think your good just cause you made 2 guides that got into the libary

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you (?). I'm actually still learning myself, which is why I make the guides, so that other people don't have to just figure it out. They can benefeit from my experiences. So, no. I don't think I'm good. I'm still learning.

Where be your gibes now? your gambols? your songs?
Your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar?
Not one now, to mock your own grinning?
posted 16 May 2004 04:13 AM EDT (US)     12 / 21  
If there isn't already a Day/Night Cycle guide, this should be posted in the articles section!

-=Skycat=-
posted 16 May 2004 05:04 AM EDT (US)     13 / 21  
Good, guide. It's really useful, I've never been able to figure out the triggers for day-night cycles.

][- ][_ . ][\/][ (()) ][) ][) (())
Angelcynn > Niwe Middangeard ~ Ic
posted 16 May 2004 06:10 AM EDT (US)     14 / 21  
Halo's method is a better one, because it fires every single trigger again so the others are not loaded and at causes less lag online.

- Reaper

posted 16 May 2004 10:03 AM EDT (US)     15 / 21  
its the same. if you look at the triggers the first trigger called MAIN will only fire once, after that, the cycle will repeat without the need of this trigger. so it is basicly 4 triggers after one cycle has been completed.

posted 16 May 2004 12:46 PM EDT (US)     16 / 21  
I'm not disparaging you, but we don't really need a guide for this. If someone can't figure out how to make a day/night cycle on their own, they obviously don't understand basic triggerwork well enough to make a scenario anyway.

_________________.##@@$$$@@##._____________
______________,##@$::%$$%%::$@##.__________
____________#@$:%%000000000%%:$@#_________
___________#@$:%00'___________'00%:$@#_______
__________#@$:%0'_______________'0%:$@#______
_________#@$:%0__________________0%:$@#_____

[This message has been edited by Spitfire (edited 05-16-2004 @ 12:46 PM).]

posted 16 May 2004 12:55 PM EDT (US)     17 / 21  

Quote:

they obviously don't understand basic triggerwork well enough to make a scenario anyway.

this is for beginners, of course if you have been designing for a year and know all the triggers, then this guide is of no use. but it would be useful for a person who has just started designing.

Quote:

Could you submit this to The Tsuniversity? It'd be appreciated.

my guide or Dr. Nicks guide?

EDIT: template is avaliable.

[This message has been edited by auron 2 (edited 05-16-2004 @ 01:13 PM).]

posted 16 May 2004 04:30 PM EDT (US)     18 / 21  
I think Auron's little write-up is nice. His title is good so it will be easy to search for in the forums (past topics). And it is valuable for people starting out. Making information like this easy to find helps to attract people to the editor. If their questions are answered then they don't get discouraged when they try to make stuff in the editor.

Don't worry about it Nick, they're a tough crowd sometimes.

posted 16 May 2004 04:38 PM EDT (US)     19 / 21  
Very nice

posted 17 May 2004 04:16 PM EDT (US)     20 / 21  
thanx. maybe it can go to the design library thing.

posted 17 May 2004 05:02 PM EDT (US)     21 / 21  
Nice guide auron: this has been asked many times before.
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » How to make a Day/Night Cycle Guide
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames