Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A guide to making intro cinematics correctly skippable
posted 04 June 2004 10:12 AM EDT (US)   
A guide to making intro cinematics correctly skippable

I. Introduction

As many of you use intro cinematics (what of course is recommended), you might already have wondered how to make these cinematics skippable with the Esc key, like ES did it. Some designers have discovered the condition "Abort Cinematic", which from then on was used to skip cinematics. But as many of you have discovered as well is, that this use of this condition flaws the skipping of the cinematic. In fact, this condition was ought to serve another aspect of the skipping of cinematics, which I'll explain later. So, how does one actually make skippable cinematics correctly?

II. The principle

At first sight, it is quite simple. Have a closer look at the "File" menu in the editor. You might have wondered what the option "Build Cinematic" does. Well, this is the key to skip a cinematic correctly.
Once you have set up a nice intro with your triggers, i.e. there has to be a trigger with the effect "Cinematic Mode ON" and one with "OFF", you can in principle click on this menu entry. Then,
-AoM will run the cinematic from "ON" to "OFF",
-once in low graphics details and once in high,
-and eventually save the cinematic (be careful: it saves your scenario, so make sure you haven't played around with some options/triggers/units before you run "Build Cinematic" and make a backup before)
Now, your intro will be skippable if the player presses "Esc" while the intro runs. The skipping option acts like a "Fast Forward" key: It plays all the triggers between the first trigger with the effect "Cinematic Mode ON" and the first trigger with the effect "Cinematic Mode OFF". Thus, all that was supposed to happen in your intro will have happened once the player presses "Esc" and the screen changes the view to where the player was supposed to start to play. The fact, that the game time changes to the length of your intro although you just have skipped the cinematic (within one or two seconds) proves the "Fast Forward" behavior. You can press "Esc" at any time in the cinematic, BTW.

"Fine," you might say, "easier than I thought." Well, unfortunately it isn't.

III. The problems

Yes, there are problems, and they could nastily destroy that what you're so proud of now.

1. Building a trigger chain

The first problem is, although the events seem to pass that smoothly, the skipping function may neglect triggers if you haven't set them up properly. In fact, the function only handles the triggers that are directly in between the first "CM ON" and the first "CM OFF" effect. That means, if you create a trigger that is active but not related to the cinematic triggers, for example a trigger that grants techs, GPs etc., it would normally be fired about three seconds after the cinematic starts. But, if the player aborts the cinematic before these three seconds have passed by, the trigger will be neglected. The skipping function doesn't keep this trigger "in mind" because it hasn't been fired off by one of the triggers that are directly involved in the cinematic trigger chain. I'll try to make that clearer:

Trigger1 (the one that starts the cinematic) -> Trigger2 -> Trigger3 ... -> TriggerXY (which ends the cinematic)
TriggerTech (active, grants for example techs)

The "Build Cinematic" function now runs through the cinematic trigger chain, but not through other triggers outside the chain. If you set up you triggers like this, the "TriggerTech" will only work if the player aborts the cinematic after this trigger has been executed, i.e. in this case after about three seconds. Well, in fact most people skip the intro immediately after the scenario has loaded (because they already watched the intro), thus our "TriggerTech" won't be executed. In paragraph III/2 I'll explain why, for now just keep in mind that the function only runs through the trigger chain of the actual intro.
Solutions to make "TriggerTech" work:

a) Include it in the chain, i.e. Trigger2 in our example could fire it, then it would be in the chain.
b) The better way: Let those triggers be fired off before the cinematic trigger chain, i.e. let them run immediately and give them the highest priority, whereas you give the first cinematic trigger the standard priority.

Now you should know how to stop triggers from being neglected.

2. The "things-in-progress" problem

The second problem is, and that's why there's the condition "Abort Cinematic", that the function stops all actions that are in progress at the moment when you abort the cinematic. Let's take the following example:
Two people have a conversation in your cinematic. After they finished it, one of them walks away. Now the Cinematic Mode is supposed to be turned off and the unit is supposed to walk further while the player is now in the game. If one aborts the cinematic, the unit will stand still at the point it stands when the cinematic was supposed to end. The function stops all things that are in progress. Therefore there's the "Abort Cinematic" condition: Make a trigger with this condition (include it in the cinematic chain or better put it in front of it, like in III/1 explained) and make the effect "Move To Point". Now, if one aborts the cinematic, the function tells the unit to stand still, but the trigger advices it to walk further. Voilą!
But triggers will be stopped as well, like the "TriggerTech" in III/1. It hasn't been executed and is still running when you abort the cinematic, thus it'll be stopped and won't execute its effects. It's the same with a slowly changing light setting. Let's say you want to make it night in five minutes after the beginning of the game. Therefore you use "Set Lightning" from "default" to "night" and set the time to five minutes. Well, if your cinematic is shorter than five minutes (I hope so ) the abort function (the function, not the trigger) will interrupt the change and leave the light setting at default, because the light setting change was a progress that endured over the end of the cinematic. The solution is simple; either let the light setting totally change in the cinematic or let it change after the cinematic, but not during the end of the cinematic. The same applies for every progress that you might want to use.

IV. Additional notes

-It is only possible to skip the first cinematic, i.e. the intro
-This function will certainly not work in multiplayer mode
-After you have placed/moved/removed units, you have to use "Build Cinematic" again, the same applies for new/deleted/changed triggers, otherwise the changes don't take effect if one skips the cinematic

OT notes:

-Use this function, it's worth it and less complicated like this text may have intimidated you
-All credit goes to oddy, who has taught me this aspect of the editor a while ago, thanks
-Please comment on mistakes, be it language/content/grammar or anything else
-Finally, I think this article should get in the scenario design library, please.

Thanks for reading!!!

AoMPlayer000

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 09-06-2004 @ 03:05 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04 June 2004 10:19 AM EDT (US)     1 / 27  
nice post but is it possible to do the same for more than one in-game cinematic??

(¯`-.Proud Member of Ambition Designs and professer at Tsuniversity.-´¯)

Curent projects:
The Job 25% Complete Hot

Antisbackfiles.tk
For a guide on how to make WMV trailers for you campaign click Here

posted 04 June 2004 10:51 AM EDT (US)     2 / 27  
No. It's only possible to skip the intro (well, the first cinematic). You could skip the outro, if you make it as a second scn and make it skippable. Then, use the effect "Advance Campaign Scenario" to load the outro when the player has finished the first scn. Now, the player should be able to skip the outro as well (because it's a seperate scn).

Hmm...

Could a mod change the title, please?
It should say "A guide to making intro cinematics correctly skippable".

Well, it's not that important, but I'd appreciate it...

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 06-04-2004 @ 03:27 PM).]

posted 04 June 2004 11:24 AM EDT (US)     3 / 27  
Wow! Thanks, thats helpful!

- Hades Worshipper
posted 04 June 2004 11:25 AM EDT (US)     4 / 27  
Thank you!
posted 04 June 2004 11:34 AM EDT (US)     5 / 27  
I'm very flattered, AoMPlayer000!
One note: There are two ways the Skippable Cinematic can fail if you change anything to the map: First, if you change anything* that isn't in the cinematic chain, the cinematic will stay skippable but it will skip to the previous saved version. All changes will be ignored! If you change something in the cinematic chain, the skipping will not work anymore.

*I think everything that you could change in a scenario, including the map, though I'm not certain.

Good guide! This should be in the Library.

A condition is not a trigger.
An effect is not a trigger.
A trigger is a combination of one or more conditions and effects.
It causes effects to happen if and when conditions are met.
Period.
posted 04 June 2004 11:36 AM EDT (US)     6 / 27  

Quoted from the article:

-After you have placed/moved/removed units, you have to use "Build Cinematic" again, the same applies for new/deleted/changed triggers

I wouldn't go into details, so I just told them to build it again when they changed sth , but you're right.

Thanks for the compliments, oddy!

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 06-04-2004 @ 11:36 AM).]

posted 04 June 2004 11:43 AM EDT (US)     7 / 27  
Ahhh...nice guild mate.
I have wonder what "build Cinematic" did.
Now i know.

(¯`-.:=LJC=:.-´¯)
Member of:Ambition Designs & PW Clan
Current Projects:The Warriors Of Sparta
Download:The Greek Dream
posted 04 June 2004 11:52 AM EDT (US)     8 / 27  
That was the purpose of the guide .

Use this in your campaign, L_J_C, it lets it look much more professional.

posted 04 June 2004 12:32 PM EDT (US)     9 / 27  
so, to avoid error, shouldn't you just always use Build Cinematic last, when everything else is done?

_________________.##@@$$$@@##._____________
______________,##@$::%$$%%::$@##.__________
____________#@$:%%000000000%%:$@#_________
___________#@$:%00'___________'00%:$@#_______
__________#@$:%0'_______________'0%:$@#______
_________#@$:%0__________________0%:$@#_____
posted 04 June 2004 12:38 PM EDT (US)     10 / 27  
Yes, of course, but I'd also recommend to do the intro as the last piece of work in your scn.
posted 04 June 2004 01:28 PM EDT (US)     11 / 27  
@AoM Player: If You should have a "original version" (dt.) of Your "Tutorium", please send it to me for NAoM

P.S.: Your xcinematics-list is ready.

posted 04 June 2004 01:41 PM EDT (US)     12 / 27  
I composed it in English from the start... I could send you the txt file though, maybe I'll translate it... Please let me know if you're interested in the English file.

Many, many thanks for the list! It's extremely useful!

EDIT: Again,
could a mod change the title, please?
It should say "A guide to making intro cinematics correctly skippable".

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 06-04-2004 @ 03:28 PM).]

posted 04 June 2004 04:27 PM EDT (US)     13 / 27  
Why dont you just hit escape...it works for me.

my lord people should use the keyboard once in a while

posted 04 June 2004 05:09 PM EDT (US)     14 / 27  
Errmmm... You haven't got the topic, I guess. ES' cinematics are skippable with "Esc", but your own ones aren't. This is what one has to do that one's intros are skippable.
It's a guide and concerns costum scenarios, you know. You see, this is a scenario design forum.

Idiot... Do you think I'd write two pages only to tell people they had to hit "Esc"?

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 06-04-2004 @ 05:26 PM).]

posted 04 June 2004 08:32 PM EDT (US)     15 / 27  
Good and clear guide AOMplayer!!

Quote:

Why dont you just hit escape...it works for me

LoL yes...why are you doing so difficult Aomplayer.... writing a huge guide.. if you just can press the ESC button???

You know I just use these buttons: CTRL + ALT + DELETE,
press them real quick and frantic a lot of times..and tada the cinematic has stopped..... and the game also..but thats just a minor issue

BEST REGARDS,
THE VANDHAAL

El Vandhaal tiene gusto de las mujeres atractivas que usan los talones altos y las medias cosidas | Le Vandhaal qui aime les femmes qui portent des talons hauts et bas cousus.
HG moderators if you feel paranoid then translate the above here
More: ((( THE VANDHAAL WEBSITE)))(((STEAM VANDHAAL AOM EE COLLECTION)))(((VANDHAAL BLOG)))
[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 12-31-2999 @ 23:59 PM).]

[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 06-04-2004 @ 08:33 PM).]

posted 04 June 2004 09:39 PM EDT (US)     16 / 27  
*smacks the Vandhaal* Alt+F4 is better

Wanna hear someone smart talking? Well, you're at the wronger poster...
posted 05 June 2004 03:33 AM EDT (US)     17 / 27  
Thanks guys...

But seriously, did you know that before? Any comments/questions? You should use this feature of the editor, it's really smart.

posted 05 June 2004 08:17 AM EDT (US)     18 / 27  
Finally a chance to read and respond to your little guide.

The information is very good but the layout is ugly and in places is somewhat hard to follow. If they decide to put it in the library I could help you improve it if you want.

Otherwise I saved it for my own reference for the next project. Good job!

Hey, I can also press the space key and skip the intro cinies as well!

posted 05 June 2004 08:22 AM EDT (US)     19 / 27  
I hope you understood it, and I'm glad you liked it . Well, the layout... I think it's quite clear; it has strict paragraphs and subtitles... Do you mean the missing colours etc.? I wouldn't call these things layout... Please explain what you mean.

PS: I think the information is more decisive than the layout, regarding the library...

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 06-05-2004 @ 08:27 AM).]

posted 05 June 2004 01:48 PM EDT (US)     20 / 27  
Well Aomplayer I think your guide is very clear. ( i didn't know about this feature before).

The layout is in my opinion also clear but you can make some highlights with colours.

I think the mods have to put this in the library...for sure

..furhtermore I have seen some more good guides here on the forums..which should be placed in the library (although they may "look" not so nice they give good info.) The more guides are placed in the library the easier they can be found by new designers or used as a reff for older designers..without having to search the entire forums...

BEST REGARDS,
THE VANDHAAL

El Vandhaal tiene gusto de las mujeres atractivas que usan los talones altos y las medias cosidas | Le Vandhaal qui aime les femmes qui portent des talons hauts et bas cousus.
HG moderators if you feel paranoid then translate the above here
More: ((( THE VANDHAAL WEBSITE)))(((STEAM VANDHAAL AOM EE COLLECTION)))(((VANDHAAL BLOG)))
[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 12-31-2999 @ 23:59 PM).]
posted 05 June 2004 07:40 PM EDT (US)     21 / 27  
Layout just refers to the way things are placed on the page. In general it's good in your guide, but in some places the sentences are a bit crowded and the use of a space here and there would make it more visual appealing and easier to read. I think in general it's the lack of spaces. Also in some places the writing is a bit awkward. I hate turning a nice guide thread into a critical analysis of it's construction since the information contained is very good as I have said.

All things considered, you did a good job nonetheless as the guide is written better than many I have seen.

I noticed something later:

Quote:

b) The better way: Let those triggers be fired off before the cinematic trigger chain, i.e. let them run immediately and give them the highest priority, whereas you give the first cinematic trigger the standard priority.

If your cinematic triggers don't have the highest priority, don't you run the risk of having the opening shot pop in on a weird (default) angle? If I want my cinematic to start immdediately as the scenario launches, I find the cine triggers have to have top priority. No? Wonder if the first method is better?

[This message has been edited by tbarak (edited 06-06-2004 @ 00:13 AM).]

posted 06 June 2004 05:28 AM EDT (US)     22 / 27  
Just put a camera cut in the first cinematic trigger, which points at the first waypoint of your camera track (or in the black area outside the map). "Camera Cut" is faster than "Camera Track", and as long as it's fired immediately (I mean "Run-Immediately"), it'll work.
Well, I'll try to add more spaces.

Vandhaal, thanks for the comment.

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 06-06-2004 @ 05:29 AM).]

posted 06 June 2004 06:57 PM EDT (US)     23 / 27  
I thought that was the solution! I got it!
posted 08 June 2004 04:14 PM EDT (US)     24 / 27  
Right. Anyone else who has comments/questions?

Lp, if you read this, I've sent you the article via email. I hope you take it up in the library, it's quite important for a succesful scenario.

posted 08 June 2004 06:33 PM EDT (US)     25 / 27  
My email is acting up every once in a while, sorry but I can't check it at the moment, I'll work from this post though.

posted 08 June 2004 08:29 PM EDT (US)     26 / 27  

Quote:

You could skip the outro, if you make it as a second scn and make it skippable. Then, use the effect "Advance Campaign Scenario" to load the outro when the player has finished the first scn. Now, the player should be able to skip the outro as well (because it's a seperate scn).

Just a little thing to add to that:
Also, for the outro, in the xml code, add this attribute:
unlisted=""

It will make the scenario unlisted on the list.

Look in ES's code to see.

Dnas
Wildfire games 0 A. D. texture artist.
Rest In Peace, Flipbizcut (1979-2005)

[This message may have been edited by Dnas (edited 49-92-4096 @ 42:93 PM).]

posted 09 June 2004 04:05 AM EDT (US)     27 / 27  
Thanks, the title has changed! And thanks for your reaction, Lp.

@Dnas: Yes, that's right. Would you mind if I don't take it up in the article, since I haven't included the outro thing, either? I think it's not the subject of it, but of course it's welcome as a comment (thanks)!

@tbarak: Layout was slightly improved, I added a few spaces etc. Are you satisfied now ?

Yay! It's in the news!

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 06-09-2004 @ 04:56 AM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » A guide to making intro cinematics correctly skippable
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames