Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide to Making A Tunnel
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 10 July 2004 09:53 PM EDT (US)   
How To Make A Tunnel Guide

by me SorcerorOfErebus

here is another cool guide

What you need :- NXE

Step 1. Create 2 Cliffs in 2 lines these will be your walls. make sure you 2 cliffs just touch each other!

Step 2. Place a "Tunnel Opening" at the 2 ends of the cliffs.
*note:sometimes your opening doesn't fit into your cliffs, when that happens just make more cliffs to cover it!*

Step 3. Paint Terrain inside the tunnel. I suggest Hades Terrain 1
(this is so units can walk through it)

Step 4. Place some "Mine Wall" around, make sure they are this type though
This Kind of Wall and go to objects menue and select "Postion Objects" and remember its NOT Position Object. Make all of your "Mine Walls" Flat with the arrow This Arrow and place them so they sit on the 2 cliffs.

Step 5. Now create the surroundings.

Ways of Making your tunnel look great:
1. instead of having a cliff for a wall have some mine walls.

2. if you don' want to see your units outline in the tunnel make good use of the effect "Set obscured units OFF"
Auron_2

3. have different terrain out side of the tunnel like some of the ocean floors make some great terains.

4. a different door like this even. a different door adds to the atmosphere of your scene
Different Door

(¯`·.¸¸.·>§σŕçęŕõŕ øƒ Σŕεbùś<·.¸¸.·´¯)
Professor for the Tsuninversity
Teacher for the NDA
Moderator At Age Quest

[This message has been edited by Sorceror_Erebus (edited 07-10-2004 @ 11:14 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10 July 2004 10:08 PM EDT (US)     1 / 32  
Hello Sorceror_Erebus

Well a nice guide again...however I have some comments this time.... maybe you can improve it a little bit

The guide is somewhat basic.. Maybe you can find a way to make the top, exterior of the ceiling ,from the tunnel somewhat nicer in order to give it the appearance for example of a mountain (or whatever you like).

To say this in short: maybe you can give some what more instructions on how to improve the eyecandy value of the tunnel. and ofcourse test it for its functionality...units have to walk through it and must be able to stand still in the middle of it without beeing lost from the players controle)

Best regards,

The Vandhaal

BEST REGARDS,
THE VANDHAAL

El Vandhaal tiene gusto de las mujeres atractivas que usan los talones altos y las medias cosidas | Le Vandhaal qui aime les femmes qui portent des talons hauts et bas cousus.
HG moderators if you feel paranoid then translate the above here
More: ((( THE VANDHAAL WEBSITE)))(((STEAM VANDHAAL AOM EE COLLECTION)))(((VANDHAAL BLOG)))
[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 12-31-2999 @ 23:59 PM).]

[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 07-10-2004 @ 10:14 PM).]

posted 10 July 2004 10:17 PM EDT (US)     2 / 32  
well i could... maybe i should.. if you really want to make it cool you out mine walls as the walls.. you thjink i should add that?

EDIT: i'll go into the editor and find some more stuff out.. maybe the use of fallen trees?
thanks for the tips Vandhaal

Teacher for the NDA
Moderator At Age Quest

[This message has been edited by Sorceror_Erebus (edited 07-10-2004 @ 10:23 PM).]

posted 11 July 2004 05:20 AM EDT (US)     3 / 32  
Nice guide SoE

Glorfindel -Age of Mythology Heaven
My site Runescape- Awsome Online game! The new 3d verson has been released. My RS name is Tartariandog! My forums Best design team ever!
Eso rates/names= Tartariandog-1600, PW_Glorfindel_- 1556, PW_Glorfindel__-1600.
Winner of the most underated forumer award!

posted 11 July 2004 06:18 AM EDT (US)     4 / 32  
Nice idea, sorceror... The last "extra"-screenie is very strange though. And I wouldn't recommend to switch off the obscured units, because one wouldn't be able to find his units in the tunnel no more... In cinematics, this effect is obligatory, of course.
posted 11 July 2004 07:30 AM EDT (US)     5 / 32  
auron suggested the obscured and how is the door weird?
it might be the tunnel leading into tartarus

Teacher for the NDA
Moderator At Age Quest
posted 11 July 2004 08:53 AM EDT (US)     6 / 32  
Well, in cinematics obscured units are annoying, that's right. The different door is larger and has a different colour than the rest of the tunnel, thus it looks strange.
posted 11 July 2004 09:37 AM EDT (US)     7 / 32  
Nice guide SoE. I def. learned something from it.

"We are as happy as our minds make up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Proud member of Ambition Designs
posted 11 July 2004 10:06 AM EDT (US)     8 / 32  
posted 11 July 2004 04:47 PM EDT (US)     9 / 32  

Quote:

Maybe you can find a way to make the top, exterior of the ceiling ,from the tunnel somewhat nicer in order to give it the appearance for example of a mountain (or whatever you like).

Mod the rolling boulder to have the terrain of the mountain.

Why vote
for a
JOhnKErry

BUSH |*=|
Cheney'04

posted 11 July 2004 05:48 PM EDT (US)     10 / 32  
I'm sorry, I always have to say something.

All of you like making guides, but please, only really newbies need a tunnel guide. I think that everyone knows how to do anything, even a volcano, a cave or anything. If you want to show how nice your tunnel is, show it at the Eyecandy post. Please, now everyone will start making these guides, teaching everyone how to do such an easy thing...

If you discover any nice EFFECT, not "how-to-make-a...", please, post.

People are creative, there's no need for guides like this.

--- Twelve encarnations of evil attacked Earth in the last 12000 years. The elves have foreseen that another one will do the same. Tahattus is the 13º encarnation of evil, the last one, and battling against him will change all the rules about the things... --- Zumas Poéticas, 2300 B. C.

[This message was probably messed up by any of the moderators! (edited 06-26-2004 @ 02:16 PM).]

posted 11 July 2004 06:20 PM EDT (US)     11 / 32  
Well Tahattus,

I do not agree completly with you.

You are right that the more experienced designers know ,or will find out themselves, how to create a tunnel.

However as you already indicated it can be usefull for new guys...

So both types of guides are ok.

For example your lighning guide is for designers who know how the editor works and you give them ideas for making their work even better...

This guide shows new guys (to the game and editor) how to make a tunnel on an easy way...they learn to work with elevations, placing objects in between them, making objects match with elevations, overlapping, terrain mixing etc and this all in a very simple way..without much difficult text or steps.

Both types of guides can come together...for example I already suggested Sorceror_Erebus to team up with Villi on the bridge design.. Sorceror_Erebus has made a guide on how to make a bridge (which is also simple for experienced designers) and Villi has made a guide on how to make them passable with triggers (More advanced).

Remember new guys will keep the game alive when the experienced designers have moved on to other games.

best regards,
The Vandhaal

BEST REGARDS,
THE VANDHAAL

El Vandhaal tiene gusto de las mujeres atractivas que usan los talones altos y las medias cosidas | Le Vandhaal qui aime les femmes qui portent des talons hauts et bas cousus.
HG moderators if you feel paranoid then translate the above here
More: ((( THE VANDHAAL WEBSITE)))(((STEAM VANDHAAL AOM EE COLLECTION)))(((VANDHAAL BLOG)))
[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 12-31-2999 @ 23:59 PM).]

[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 07-11-2004 @ 06:25 PM).]

posted 11 July 2004 06:55 PM EDT (US)     12 / 32  
thanks Vadhaal..
Tahattus just because its in the eye candy thread doesn't mean people will know how to make them
i mean Oscars Palaces and everything are really wicked but i can't make em... i don't even know where to start so if he made a guide on that it would be really helpfull

.... but i know this guide is a bit simple

but i'm glad you had somthing to say Tahattus

Teacher for the NDA
Moderator At Age Quest
posted 11 July 2004 07:40 PM EDT (US)     13 / 32  
I dont like it Just look at how ES did it when they made caves. They didnt have any roofs. I cant see my units when they're in that tunnel. I like ES' method better.

But... The screenshots are nice, its just that I dont like them

posted 11 July 2004 09:50 PM EDT (US)     14 / 32  
Awesome guide Sorceror, like it lots...
posted 11 July 2004 10:59 PM EDT (US)     15 / 32  
Well, ok, I just think that one of Oscar pics gave much more ideas than our recently guides. Actually, i just need to see a picture to have an idea. There's no need to make guides for things that only need a picture. A tunner is quite simple, it would be great if you posted that pic as an eyecandy, not a guide.

--- Twelve encarnations of evil attacked Earth in the last 12000 years. The elves have foreseen that another one will do the same. Tahattus is the 13º encarnation of evil, the last one, and battling against him will change all the rules about the things... --- Zumas Poéticas, 2300 B. C.

[This message was probably messed up by any of the moderators! (edited 06-26-2004 @ 02:16 PM).]

posted 12 July 2004 09:44 AM EDT (US)     16 / 32  

Quoted from tahattus:

All of you like making guides, but please, only really newbies need a tunnel guide. I think that everyone knows how to do anything, even a volcano, a cave or anything. If you want to show how nice your tunnel is, show it at the Eyecandy post. Please, now everyone will start making these guides, teaching everyone how to do such an easy thing...

Well, tahattus, I didn't have the idea to build a tunnel yet. It's creative, and I liked to learn sth new that could inspire me.

Besides that: Every guide here should be heartly accepted, since the author shares his knowlegde with us. There are for sure big differences in the quality of the guides, but there's no guide that could harm or spam our forum yet. Think positive about them and encourage people to write guides.

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 07-12-2004 @ 09:45 AM).]

posted 12 July 2004 03:36 PM EDT (US)     17 / 32  
I think it would be even better if Oscar posted his pics in guide-form.

A condition is not a trigger.
An effect is not a trigger.
A trigger is a combination of one or more conditions and effects.
It causes effects to happen if and when conditions are met.
Period.
posted 13 July 2004 01:39 AM EDT (US)     18 / 32  
i wish Oscar put his in guide forum.. i'd LOVE IT

Teacher for the NDA
Moderator At Age Quest
posted 13 July 2004 03:34 AM EDT (US)     19 / 32  
im a noob to the editor

i was wondering how he got that position objects menu in the picture in step 4. Everytime i go to objects then position objects i cant get that menu

posted 13 July 2004 04:27 AM EDT (US)     20 / 32  
did you download NXE?

Teacher for the NDA
Moderator At Age Quest
posted 14 July 2004 02:04 AM EDT (US)     21 / 32  
Added your guide to the Tsuniversity:
www.tsuniversity.com/articleloader.php?155

storycreator
Head of The Tsuniversity
and the Tsunami Studios
posted 14 July 2004 02:49 AM EDT (US)     22 / 32  
/\

Sorry, if you people don't agree with me, don't start "oh my little baby, your guide was so sweet... don't listen to him" ---> simply say "I don't agree!"

I've seen this for ages, every time someone appear saying bad things another one appears trying to "help". This is a forum, say anything you want, if you don't agree you must say that you don't...

Quote:

Well Tahattus,
I do not agree completly with you.

You are right that the more experienced designers know ,or will find out themselves, how to create a tunnel.

Very interesting comment.

Quote:

Awesome guide Sorceror, like it lots...

I think that this one is a post that i'm talking about... trying to "help" his guide. Sorry, since i'm not a very good english speaker i cannot say exactly what i want to say. This one appears right after a lot of bad comments, saying nothing, just "your guide is good"...

Your guide is interesting, but there's simply no need to make this kind of guides.

posted 14 July 2004 03:01 AM EDT (US)     23 / 32  
i don't understand you Tahattus 2
i know some people won't like my guide.. thats life
if you didn't like my guide it your choice but do you the tunnel though?

Teacher for the NDA
Moderator At Age Quest
posted 14 July 2004 12:47 PM EDT (US)     24 / 32  
sorry, that's because i dont speak english very well.

I meant that after some posts saying that your guide is nor good, someone appears just to say "your guide is good" or "i like it" just in order to make you happy! That's horrible!

posted 14 July 2004 12:55 PM EDT (US)     25 / 32  
Dude, I'm sorry, but you're really retarded. We're not trying to butter SoE nor does the guide attack you nor disturb the forummers.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Guide to Making A Tunnel
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames