Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Trigger Tricks requested
posted 14 July 2004 07:00 PM EDT (US)   
With Amnesia snoozing, I'm working on the Defend the Fortress map I once posted a screenshot of, and a refreshing multiplayerscenario for a change

I started this topic mainly because of triggering problems I've encountered in my multiplayer scenario, but also just to start an intelligent discussion on trigger tricks in general.

How to set up a kill counter

Searching through this forum I found out that no one has actually discovered a good kill-count trigger set (a looping one, which gives a reward for every X kills).

I think the easiest way to do so is the following:

EDIT: There's a fault in this one. Read below.

This requires only one looped trigger, which consists of a long list of conditions, and any desired effect. The key is using the OR function provided by the TT editor:
-----
Conditions: (OR checked)
Stat Value: Enemy Units Killed == 5
Stat Value: Enemy Units Killed == 10
Stat Value: Enemy Units Killed == 15
Stat Value: Enemy Units Killed == 20
Stat Value: Enemy Units Killed == 25
Stat Value: Enemy Units Killed == 30
Stat Value: Enemy Units Killed == 35
Stat Value: Enemy Units Killed == 40
ETC
ETC
ETC
(this is a long list depending on the size/duration of your scenario, but really, it isn't much work if you use the New X Editor's condition-copy function.
-----
Effects: Possible effects are the following:
- Questvar Modify "Killcount" + 1 (to generate a resettable killcount. Of course you must first use the Questvar Set effect in another trigger to set "Killcount" at 0.)
- Set Tech Status (Anything you like. Think about armor/weapons upgrades or something like that)
- Army Deploy (some sort of a bonus unit you get every time you kill X units)
- Fake Counter: "Player one killed +trGetStatValue(1, 2)+ units", where "1" represents the player of choice and "2" is the "Enemy Unit's Killed" stat value ID.
-----

The good thing about this trigger is that there's only one. And next to that, if you choose the questvar modify as an effect, you can reset the kill count (by setting that QV at 0).

This is the best thing I could came up with, and unfortunately it still forces you to manually create tons of conditions. Another minor negative point is that it might not work if lots of units are killed simultaneously (because it uses the ==), even if set at high priority. Fortunately, there aren't many units to be killed simultaneously in my scen

So, does anyone know a better one? (Besides favor gathering, wich forces every player to be Norse, or RMSing - I believe one is able to do it with RMS?)

How to define the killed unit

Another problem I've encountered is that I need to be able to define which player killed a specific unit/army. I could solve this by using the units in area trigger (conditions: Is Dead [unit]; Units in Area [player 1] [>=1]). Which means that if you're near a certain unit when it dies, it says that YOU killed it. Quite realistic. However, if anyone knows a better way, please tell me! The specified unit is a Titan, by the way.

How to set Team Shared Resources on?

Yes, one way is for the game's host to check this option, but I'm looking for another way (trigger-wise) to set this option on. I want to make hosting my scen as easy as possible So, does anyone know a way to enable Team Shared Resources?

Is there a way to disable the shared LOS of a Titan?

This one's been bugging me. It's quite crucial for the game. But how do I do this without modding? I couldn't find a tech that sounded like it, to use set tech status to disable it...

Failing conditions/effects in multiplayer.

Can someone list me all the conditions/effects that don't work in multiplayer? I've been out of the multiplayer+patches business for quite a while, and now that I finally return to it and search the forums, I only found some unsure bits. Which ones have been fixed? Which ones still don't work? Does anyone know the complete list?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has a sensible thing to say!

More items might be added over time, depending on my designing progress and the suggestions made in this thread.

[This message has been edited by Archaeopterix (edited 07-15-2004 @ 07:03 AM).]

Replies:
posted 14 July 2004 07:42 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4  
http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=13,17223,,all

that is a guide of kill counter as well......i think. many people should check CodeLabMasters old topics.

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||

[This message has been edited by auron 2 (edited 07-14-2004 @ 07:43 PM).]

posted 15 July 2004 05:11 AM EDT (US)     2 / 4  
For a Kill Counter, use my QV Set as Stat Value effect and QV Stat Value Condition. Doing so will reduce the conditions needed to 1. I explained how to do this millions of times but appearantly nobody uses it.
(Let me say it again: use 2 new trigger members and you can make a kill counter using 1 trigger with 1 condition and as many effects as you like.)

A condition is not a trigger.
An effect is not a trigger.
A trigger is a combination of one or more conditions and effects.
It causes effects to happen if and when conditions are met.
Period.
posted 15 July 2004 06:08 AM EDT (US)     3 / 4  
Ah, didnt see codelabmaster's post. It works the same as my idea, but when looking at his guide, I saw there was a gap in my idea. You can stick onto X kills for a while, and all that time you'll be levelled up (because it's looping). Codelabmastar's trick solves that gap. Thanks!
I also read he thought of a run/walk system. I've made a fly/walk system in my scen already, but not by using the "chat contains" condition. If you cast Ragnarok, your unit changes into a caladria for 10 seconds. After that, you change back to your regular unit again. 5 seconds later, your 'jetpack' is recovered and you're granted ragnarok again.
With the 'chat contains' condition, and if you want the function to be looped, you've got the problem that it keeps firing until the chat disappears from the screen. And even then, if you press PgUp (to show the chat history), it launches again! You can of course set another effect in those triggers: 'clear chat history', but then it would be hard to communicate with your allies online.

Sorry Oddy, never heard of that before Do you mean it uses new conditions+effects created by you?

posted 15 July 2004 02:59 PM EDT (US)     4 / 4  
I'll explain it again. Yes, two of my trigger members (1 condition and 1 effect) are needed. They are both included in Reyk's Some New X Triggers 2.

The trick requires 1 Quest Var. I like to call it PointZero.
Step 1. As soon as the kill counter must be on, store the actual Kill Stat Value in PointZero using my QV Set as Stat Value effect.
Step 2. (Assuming that every x kills will give you extra attack or something.) Make the looping trigger have the effect QV Set as Stat Value to update the actual kill count in PointZero. You can give it every other effects you like (like Modify Protounit).
Step 3. Let the looping trigger have the QV Stat Value condition. This condition requires a Quest Var that contains a value that should be substracted from the actual kill count. That's PointZero. You must give a value that must remain too, that's the x in 'every x kills'.

Now, everytime the player has killed x units, the effects of this trigger will be executed. Example with 'every 10 kills' (the counter starts at a random point in the game):

(Begin) Player has 13 kills; value of PointZero = 13;
13 - 13 = 0; Trigger is not fired.

Player has 18 kills (5 since last update of PointZero);
18 - 13 = 5; Trigger is not fired.

Player has 24 kills (11 since last update of PointZero);
24 - 13 = 11 >= 10; Trigger is fired and PointZero updated!
Value of PointZero = 24;

Player has 33 kills (9 since last update of PointZero);
33 - 24 = 9; Trigger is not fired.

etc. etc. etc.

Well, it's not very easy to explain but I hope it's clear to you. If you don't get the explaination: once you use it, it's quite simple.

A condition is not a trigger.
An effect is not a trigger.
A trigger is a combination of one or more conditions and effects.
It causes effects to happen if and when conditions are met.
Period.
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Trigger Tricks requested
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames