You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guardian's RPG Triggers Guide
posted 18 November 2004 04:12 AM EDT (US)   
RPG Triggers Guide

Introduction:

I've noticed that many potential scenario designers (and some known scenario designers) have been working on RPG scenarios, or are wondering on how to do certain 'difficult' trigger-tricks when it comes to RPGs. I've worked for almost a year on my Sp scenario Birthright (coming soon) and I've come up with these trigger tricks. They have, so far, worked for me perfectly.

The following guide will introduce the trigger 'system' I used to create several aspects of my upcoming RPG. I will also explaine several aspects on map design to help you create a large world in a seemingly 'small' 512 X 512 map (the normal max.).

Special Trigger Systems:

- Hunger/Stamina System
- Race/Gender/Name Selection

(I'll keep updating with other trigger systems later on)

I will also explain several 'less-difficult' aspects, for the beginners, like:

- Map Design
- Missions
- Journal
- Experience Gaining
- Difficulty Setting
- Readme Doc

And, finally, I will explain on how you should divide the map and how it should be designed.

Special Triggers

- Hunger/Stamina:

This one isn't particularily difficult, but it does come as a challenge to new designers. The basic idea of this trigger system is to make the player's unit 'eat', die if he doesn't, and get tired, (and lose some of his 'experience' should he do so).

Hunger:

Trigger 1:Active, Run Immediately, High Priority, Loop
Condition: Timer=15
Effect: Grant Recources= -5food

^ The trigger above removes 5 food every 15 seconds. You can change the stats if you like, ofcourse.

Now your player is eating his food. Make sure to give the player an adequate amount of STARTING food by going to Player Options and setting the recources on Player 1 (usual human player).

Now you need to find a way to feed the player. Let's say he needs to buy 500 food from a granary in the next village for 25 gold. Have the player select the granary, and if he has enough gold, he can buy the food!

Trigger 2: Active, Run Immediately, Priority High
Condition: Player Recource Count >= to 25 gold AND(click on the unchecked box labelled 'and' and check it) Unit Selected(make sure the unit selected is the granary).
Effect: Grant Recources 500 food and Grant Recources -25 gold.

^ The above gives you 500 food for 25 gold if you click the granary. The trigger will NOT fire if you don't have the 25 gold neccessary to buy the food.

This basically explains the Hunger system. You can distribute many granaries around the map and use the same triggers (using copy triggers, but be sure to rename the triggers you copy) to make them give food for 25 gold. Stats can be changed, ofcourse (for example, 10 gold for 100 food).

- Stamina:

Stamina represents the maximum distance a character can move before he or she gets tired.

To represent stamina, I chose wood. Basically, for every 5 seconds (for example), 25 wood will dissapear. Ofcourse, this means that I will have to provide a way for stamina to recharge. Below I will explain my method (the one used in Birthright).

To recharge stamina, I chose the 'Manor'. Basically, the character selects this manor, which is abandonned, and gets to sleep in it, recharging his stamina by 500. To make this a little more challenging, I made it so the character can only use the manor ONCE and must search for another to continue.

Trigger 1: Active, Loop Run Immediately, Priority=High

* Don't forget to loop the trigger.

Condition: Timer=25

Effect: Grant Recources:-25 wood

^ The trigger above REMOVES wood (AKA Stamina) from the player's inventory. Be sure to include the NEGATIVE(-) sign.

Trigger 2:Active, Run Immediately, Priority=High

Condition:Unit Selected (choose manor)

Effect: Grant Recources:500 wood, Play Dialogue: You slept and recharged your stamina.

^ That's about it. However, you can add your own 'cool' stuff to it. For example, you can convert the player to 'player 2' for around 10 seconds, then re-convert him to 'player 1' to give the impression of 'sleeping'.

- Race/Gender/Name/Class Selection:

This is slightly more difficult. Basically, you want to give the player total freedom to choose his/her character's gender (male or female), Race (ex: Dwarf or Human), Name (ex: Marius) or Class (ex: Ranged or Melee). This will require a series of somewhat complicated triggers but once you start you sort of- move with the flow.

I haven't included FIRE EVENT triggers because I assume that you can handle those easily.

This should be at the start of the scenario.

-First Steps:

The first thing you want to do is create one unit for Player 1 and surround him by cliff so he can't move. Place him anywhere on the map, but preferably somewhere you don't plan on using for the scenario itself. You can delete him after the player chooses his character.

The next thing to do is to create a small, tiny space and surround it by water. I've included a screenshot from birthright though I've blacked out the characters so you can't see them. Don't want to reveal anything.

Let's take this as an example- you want two races, Humans and Dwarves. You need 4 units for each race, (one melee human female, one melee human male, one ranged human female, one ranged human male and the same with the dwarves). With this you have the units and now the only thing left is to create a system in which the player decides which unit he or she will be playing with. Remember to put down the units as Player 2, for example, and just convert it when the selection is done.

-Race Selection

The following will explain the first thing you should do, which is to allow the character to decide his race (in this case, human or dwarf). Remember to create dialogue triggers to explain the proccess to the player so he knows what to do.

In the following example, let us assume that typing 150 will give you the human race and typing 250 will give you the dwarven one.

Trigger 1:Active, Run Immediately, Priority High

Note: You may want to set it on not-active and fire the event after the dialogue is done.

Condition:Chat Contains:150

Effect: Destroy (destroy all dwarven units), Disable Trigger 2, Play Dialogue: You've selected humans!

^ As you can see with the above, by typing 150, the player kept the Human Units and destroyed the dwarven one. You will also need to DISABLE the Dwarven trigger so that, if the player types 250, it doesn't destroy the humans. Below is the Dwarven trigger.

Trigger 2 (Dwarven): Active, Run Immediately, Priority High

Condition:Chat Contains:250

Effect: Destroy (destroy all human units), Disable Trigger 1, Play Dialogue: You selected dwarves!

By doing the above, you've gotten rid of all the races except the one the player wants to play with.

There, you've successfully selected your race! Now, its on to gender(male or female) selection!

- Gender Selection:

Now that you have your race selected, it is time to select the gender. You now have 4 units left (in this example, you may want to include more, depending on how many 'classes' you've included (ex: I chose melee and ranged, but you may want to include 'Wizard').

Let us assume that typing 11 will give you MALE and typing 22 will give you FEMALE.

Make sure you also include instructions by dialogue after race selection so that player knows how to select gender as well.

Trigger 1: Activated by Race triggers,Run Immediately, Priority=High

Condition: Chat Contains:11

Effect: Destroy (all female units. Select ALL female units including the human and the dwarven ones since this trigger can't determine what race you chose), Disable Trigger 2, Play Dialogue: You selected male!

The above selected the male characters. You had to delete ALL female for every single race because this way, its faster- otherwise, if you want to do it the hard way, you'll have to create double the amount of triggers you really need.

Trigger 2:Activated by Race Triggers, Run Immediately, Priority=High

Condition:Chat Contains:22

Effect: Destroy (all male units. Select ALL male units including the human and the dwarven ones)Disable Trigger 1, Play Dialogue: You selected female!

And there you have it. Gender selection is done! Now, on to the final two steps- Class and Name selection!

-Class/Name Selection:

At this point, only a few characters are left. You will either have two female or male humans, or two female or male dwarves. Now the only thing left to do is to allow the character to decide whether he wants (according to this example) to select the Ranged or Melee class.

It is important to note that while the trigger states that you are converting ALL the units you originally placed, they won't all be converted since you destroyed them through the previous trigger selection.

Let us asume that 55 will select Melee and 33 will select ranged.

[b]Trigger 1:Activated by Gender Selection Triggers, Run Immediately, Priority=High

Condition:Chat Contains:55

Effect: Destroy (all Ranged units for all races), Disable Trigger 2, Convert to Player 1(all melee units), Teleport Units (Teleport to a specific area).

Teleport Units Explanation: I've decided to explain this effect a little more because a major bug can occur if you don't follow my instructions. Trust me, I've been through it before.

You will need to create a teleport trigger for [c=navy]EACH melee (or ranged) unit. If you create one trigger and select all the units, it will NOT fire since some units will be destroyed from previous selections.

Trigger 2:Activated by Gender Selection Triggers, Run Immediately, Priority=High

Condition:Chat Contains:22

Effect: Destroy (all Melee for all races), Disable Trigger 1, Convert to Player 1(all Ranged units), Teleport Units (Teleport to a specific area).

And there you have it. Class is selected and now the character can see his or her selection. All that's left is the character's NAME.

- Name:

For name selection, you will need to pick out the names yourself and present them to the player. The player will then choose the name he likes best. Unfortunately, there is now ay to have the player actually select any name he or she wants.

I will show you the system for two different names- Marius and Helen- but ofcourse you can add as many as you want- infact, the more the better. Two is definately NOT enough.

Remember to give the player instructions on name selection. Maybe even during a cinematic- sort of like the opening scene of Morrowind.

Trigger 1: Activated by Class Selection Triggers, Run Immediately, Priority=High

Condition: Chat Contains:Marius

Effect: Change Name: Marius (select all characters, even female ones), Disable Trigger 2, Play Dialogue: Hello Marius!

The above selected the name Marius for the character. Remember, rename all characters, even female ones with a male name and vice versa.
Trigger 2: Activated by Class Selection Triggers, Run Immediately, Priority=High

Condition: Chat Contains:Marius

Effect: Change Name: Helen (select all characters, even female ones), Disable Trigger 1, Play Dialogue: Hello Helen!

And there you have it. The character is totally customized. Just introduce the character to the game and let him/her roam around completing all the cool missions you created!

- Map Design:

Map Design is the key to any successful scenario. Without a good map, you can kiss a good rating good bye. Its the first thing anyone notices- its THE most important aspect of your scenario.

The key to good map design is to concentrate on a specific area. Make a sort of 'perimiter', surround it by a forest or mountains or walls, and just start designing. Keep adding this and that and before you know it, it will start looking amazing. Once you're done with that area, move on.

NEVER design the entire map at once. Just concentrate on one area after another and the whole map will recieve the attention it deserves. Use all the units at your disposal, for example, if you're interested inc reating a city, don't just add roads and buildings, place some grass on the roads, maybe rocks on the borders, couple of crates here and there, flowers, etc.. etc..

Here are a couple of screenshots from Birthright-

Screen 55

Screen 66

Screen 63

Screen 53

And here, is a screenshot of the entire map. This will give you an idea on how I laid out the map. You should do this espiacally when creating a massive RPG- designate certain points of the map for certain cities, areas, etc.. You'll find that it'll make the map design task much, much easier.

I photoshopped it by the way. Don't want to reveal anything. Please do not insult my great Photoshopping skills (lol)

Full map.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well, this should be enough to get you started. I'll keep updating this thread with more trigger systems so keep checking.

VERY IMPORTANT:

When doing all the above triggers make it on a blank scenario and SAVE it. This way, you will have a RPG TRIGGER TEMPLATE. You can load this up whenever you want to create an RPG rather than re-doing all the triggers again! Neat, huh?

Enjoy and please comment!

[This message has been edited by Gaurdian_112 (edited 11-18-2004 @ 04:15 AM).]

Replies:
posted 18 November 2004 07:17 AM EDT (US)     1 / 25  
added.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 18 November 2004 07:24 AM EDT (US)     2 / 25  
Amazing guide. This was extremely helpful. Welcome back to the community guardian
posted 18 November 2004 08:16 AM EDT (US)     3 / 25  
Thanks Filmdirector:d

I'll be adding more tricks to it to keep up the interest in the topic- just keep adding them as I learn them. I have a few good tricks in Birthright but I feel that there is an easier way to do them, which is why I didn't offer a guide for them here- yet.

posted 18 November 2004 09:35 AM EDT (US)     4 / 25  
very nice guide, guard

nothing new to me but, nice all the same

posted 18 November 2004 09:38 AM EDT (US)     5 / 25  
Yeah like I said, this guide doesn't aid the great ones
posted 18 November 2004 09:39 AM EDT (US)     6 / 25  
well thank you
posted 18 November 2004 10:05 AM EDT (US)     7 / 25  
Although I'm pretty skilled by now (if I may say so myself) I find these guides very usefull ! Especially the race etc will come in hand if I am to make a scenario which involves it.

Always flying around at Ambition Designs.
If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start ! -Edmund Blackadder
posted 18 November 2004 10:37 AM EDT (US)     8 / 25  
Thanks Glad you all found it helpful. Now git to creating some RPG templates and remember to save them on a blank map so you can keep re-using it- saves a hell lot of time.
posted 18 November 2004 10:41 AM EDT (US)     9 / 25  
Excellent guide! *tag*

BTW: Welcome back!

-=Skycat=-
posted 18 November 2004 12:12 PM EDT (US)     10 / 25  
Hey cool I made the news
posted 18 November 2004 12:25 PM EDT (US)     11 / 25  
Fantastic!
posted 18 November 2004 01:11 PM EDT (US)     12 / 25  
Neither new nor creative nor hard to imagine IMO, but nicely made up and composed with a lot of effort nevertheless. Will be nice for newbies, send it to Lp to add it to the Library .
posted 18 November 2004 02:51 PM EDT (US)     13 / 25  
very basic, but very nicely done guardian, and welcome once again to heavengames!

regards
Auron

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||
posted 18 November 2004 02:56 PM EDT (US)     14 / 25  
Thanks Auron.

Yeah its basic, but it works and creates a pretty neat effect

posted 18 November 2004 02:58 PM EDT (US)     15 / 25  
dude that guide might come in useful one day.

EVOLUTION? REVOLUTION!- Liquid Fire Studios
posted 18 November 2004 04:35 PM EDT (US)     16 / 25  
Yay! Newsworthy.

Where be your gibes now? your gambols? your songs?
Your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar?
Not one now, to mock your own grinning?
posted 18 November 2004 05:12 PM EDT (US)     17 / 25  
Awesome guide! Should prove very helpful to intermidiate and even some expert designers
posted 18 November 2004 05:49 PM EDT (US)     18 / 25  
Great guide!

posted 18 November 2004 06:13 PM EDT (US)     19 / 25  
Nothing you really don't already know if you understand triggers well - but it's a good guide for newbies like others said.
posted 18 November 2004 06:46 PM EDT (US)     20 / 25  
The problem with race selection is that it invalidates Modify Protounit, or at least makes you do four times the work.

_________________.##@@$$$@@##._____________
______________,##@$::%$$%%::$@##.__________
____________#@$:%%000000000%%:$@#_________
___________#@$:%00'___________'00%:$@#_______
__________#@$:%0'_______________'0%:$@#______
_________#@$:%0__________________0%:$@#_____
posted 18 November 2004 07:19 PM EDT (US)     21 / 25  
woah, back for 2 days and already in the news section.

posted 18 November 2004 11:38 PM EDT (US)     22 / 25  
@Spitfire: There is no big deal with doing Modify Protounit for every single unit. Just use the copy effect button.

Quote:

woah, back for 2 days and already in the news section.

posted 19 November 2004 08:15 PM EDT (US)     23 / 25  
Great guide.
I have a recomendation though, for the hunger and stamina triggers. I would recomend using the Choice Dialog effect(Titans only) when chosing to refil so that you don't have to waste gold if you select it on accident. you can also make it a looped trigger this way.

--------------------------------------------

Trigger 2: Active, Run Immediately, Priority High, loop
Condition:
*Player Recource Count \\make sure they have enough gold
--gold >= 25
*Unit Selected \\run when granery is selected
--granery
Effect:
*UNIT Clear Selection \\deselect units so the trigger doesn't continue repeat immeaditly
*Choice Dialog \\ask if they want to buy food.
--text="Purchace 500 food for 25 gold?"
--if yes fire trigger 3:

Trigger 3: inactive, Priority High
Condition:
*Always
Effect:
*Grant resource
--food + 500
*Grant resource
--gold - 25

----------------------------------------------

Also the food trigger is only useful if there is some reason to have food. For example if the player runs out of food they take damage every second.

-----------------------------------------------

Trigger 4: active, loop, priority high
Condition:
*Timer \\fire every second
--1 second
*Resource count \\only when the player is out of food
--food == 0
Effect:
*damage unit: \\cause x amount of damage to unit
--player's unit
--(x) damage

------------------------------------------

Just some simple sugestions.

posted 20 November 2004 04:43 AM EDT (US)     24 / 25  

Quote:

@Spitfire: There is no big deal with doing Modify Protounit for every single unit. Just use the copy effect button.

I think he meens that it invalids all effects&conditions wich use proto units. Not problem really. Make an effect for every possible proto unit in every trigger wich use it, andn for conditions...Put multiple and check or

I think FOG.
posted 20 November 2004 10:28 AM EDT (US)     25 / 25  
cool i dont bother doing the race thing takes too long. nice guide though

~Killermapmaker10~
Projects: Odyssues a wise man 5%, Vernon villages 0%,
Sea captian: The beggning.
Projects postponed: a farmers life 3%

Yes alot of projects on my plate.
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Guardian's RPG Triggers Guide
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames