You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: There's only four skies? yeah right ;)
posted 04 December 2004 03:44 PM EDT (US)   
I've seen many new people (nice way of saying it ) ask about skies, and many old people (well, people who've been here a while) answer saying, well, there's only like 3 or four different kinds of skies, they are:
blah
bleh
bloh
bluh
Use them with the RENDER SKY effect. However, note that the skies are incredibly messed up in that they only cover half the sphere around the earth (making for insanely high difficulty to get a decent shot, with the terrain height limits and all).

--Well, I have a solution: there are MORE kinds of sky effects than blue, winter, sunset, and whatever the other one I forgot is! Not only that but these skies can be easily changed in appearance by lighting! If you haven't figured it out by now, look at the screenie on tripod. I'm getting an account right now... ok link is:
Screenshot

It's done by taking a unit, in this case bolder rolling 2, and maximizing it until the textures stretch and cause the background to change to a stretched version of the texture. Put it in an army so you can remove it if you need to. The cool thing about this is that changing the light can help change the color of the sky.

BTW: I THINK I'm the first one to figure this out, so it's my trick, BUT DO NOT GIVE ME CREDIT FOR IT! I hate it when people ask for credit for figuring something out and then there's a huge debate about whether or not they really were first, etc. etc. etc. Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by Chief_Thunder_ (edited 12-06-2004 @ 06:43 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04 December 2004 03:56 PM EDT (US)     1 / 27  
So stretching a unit's texture will automatically strech the sky background texture? :| Why would it do that?

Nice discovery, although I'm not sure wether I understand how it works.

posted 04 December 2004 03:56 PM EDT (US)     2 / 27  
Lol, nice find ! Though it is possible to create real new skies, but this is way easier! Very creative !
posted 04 December 2004 03:58 PM EDT (US)     3 / 27  
Thanks, and the thing that's SOO much better about this is... well i haven't tried it, but you know how when you hold the mouse over a unit it gets highlighted, well, it looks EXACTLY like real lightning, the "sky" just lights up a little bit (no fake-looking zeus bolt) and it looks very realistic. I assume if you want to use it in your scen you use flash object or something.
posted 04 December 2004 03:59 PM EDT (US)     4 / 27  
"Highlight Unit"
posted 04 December 2004 04:00 PM EDT (US)     5 / 27  
same diff
posted 04 December 2004 04:03 PM EDT (US)     6 / 27  
Nice dicovery, im not sure how well it would work in a scx though :/

(¯`-.:=LJC=:.-´¯)
|Member of|Ambition Designs| & |TOAO Clan|
|Download|The Greek Dream|
|Check|F.A.Q|
posted 04 December 2004 04:06 PM EDT (US)     7 / 27  

Quote:

So stretching a unit's texture will automatically strech the sky background texture? :| Why would it do that

I think he's talking about using the unit's texture as a sky, kinda like the same thing you'd do on a FPS editor, creating a skybox is simply stretching a huge box around the whole map.

posted 04 December 2004 05:39 PM EDT (US)     8 / 27  
Ok I'm confused lol.

Does the sky stretch or the object is simply so big it looks like the sky?

posted 04 December 2004 06:05 PM EDT (US)     9 / 27  
I am also confused (I should open up the editor)

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
posted 04 December 2004 06:07 PM EDT (US)     10 / 27  
It's simple, you're seeing the insides of the bolder instead of the real sky

posted 04 December 2004 07:54 PM EDT (US)     11 / 27  
Nice you found it out Chief..

Quote:

...I THINK I'm the first one to figure this out, so it's my trick, BUT DO NOT GIVE ME CREDIT FOR IT!...

Nope you wheren't the first I also had discovered the fact that you can use enlarged objects in order to mimic a sky or interior background effect...but I never start any of those dumb debates lol

but anyway nice screenshot you made with this feature.

Best regards,

The Vandhaal

BEST REGARDS,
THE VANDHAAL

El Vandhaal tiene gusto de las mujeres atractivas que usan los talones altos y las medias cosidas | Le Vandhaal qui aime les femmes qui portent des talons hauts et bas cousus.
HG moderators if you feel paranoid then translate the above here
More: ((( THE VANDHAAL WEBSITE)))(((STEAM VANDHAAL AOM EE COLLECTION)))(((VANDHAAL BLOG)))
[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 12-31-2999 @ 23:59 PM).]

[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 12-04-2004 @ 07:55 PM).]

posted 05 December 2004 05:47 AM EDT (US)     12 / 27  
Come on, this is not dumb, we didn't know that before...
posted 05 December 2004 06:34 AM EDT (US)     13 / 27  
Well its not all that hard to think of making a unit real big an using it as a backgroung (sky) I would be sincerely suprised if something like this hadnt been discovered before. I am thinking my next major aom projrect might be some new skies.

[This message has been edited by Centurion_13 (edited 12-05-2004 @ 06:34 AM).]

posted 05 December 2004 01:07 PM EDT (US)     14 / 27  

Quote:

Come on, this is not dumb...

I think you referre to my answer Aomplayer...However I did not say it was dumb...only that I "also had discovered the fact that you can use enlarged objects in order to mimic a sky or interior background effect".

Best regards,

The Vandhaal

BEST REGARDS,
THE VANDHAAL

El Vandhaal tiene gusto de las mujeres atractivas que usan los talones altos y las medias cosidas | Le Vandhaal qui aime les femmes qui portent des talons hauts et bas cousus.
More: ((( THE VANDHAAL WEBSITE)))(((STEAM VANDHAAL AOM EE COLLECTION)))(((VANDHAAL BLOG)))
posted 05 December 2004 01:19 PM EDT (US)     15 / 27  

Quote:

but I never start any of those dumb debates lol

That's the same as saying this topic is dumb, because you never started debating about it, but Chief does now.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
posted 05 December 2004 01:28 PM EDT (US)     16 / 27  
^ That's what I meant, Vandhaal.

Nice to see you again here, BTW!

posted 05 December 2004 02:08 PM EDT (US)     17 / 27  
OFF TOPIC
@Argalius and Aomplayer

Huhhh??? That setence you quoted means THAT I NEVER START ANY DUMB DEBATES ON ANY HEAVENS GAMES FORUMS so also not in the case of this discovery by The autor of this thread.

So please stop pushing my replies into a certain direction !
that really pisses me off.

This is the last thing I say in this matter within this thread (for further comments/debates please mail me and do not spamm this thread again)

ON TOPIC

Again nice find Chief and sorry about those off topic reactions

best regards,
the Vandhaal

BEST REGARDS,
THE VANDHAAL

[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 12-05-2004 @ 02:09 PM).]

posted 05 December 2004 02:19 PM EDT (US)     18 / 27  
Calm down?! There's no reason to get angry at all. 'Dumb debate' sounds negative. If we misunderstood you, sorry, but there's no need to get angry because of that...
posted 05 December 2004 02:24 PM EDT (US)     19 / 27  
Get back on topic guys, the latest tedency to get offtopic is really getting annoying now.

posted 05 December 2004 02:47 PM EDT (US)     20 / 27  
yes very annoying... i really dont see how you could see the boulder if it's enlarged very much wait... you couldnt put anything on the map if that's the case wouldn't the boulder be in the way? please help im very confused

~Killermapmaker10~
Projects: Odyssues a wise man 5%, Vernon villages 0%,
Sea captian: The beggning.
Projects postponed: a farmers life 3%

Yes alot of projects on my plate.
posted 05 December 2004 02:50 PM EDT (US)     21 / 27  
Ever heard of Position Object? And of course you put the boulder last so you can place your other items first.

Also, enlarging an object doesn't change it's actual size (the space it takes up).

posted 05 December 2004 05:01 PM EDT (US)     22 / 27  
added.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 05 December 2004 08:20 PM EDT (US)     23 / 27  
lol, "I hate it when people ask for credit for figuring something out and then there's a huge debate about whether or not they really were first" so everyone decides to debate about whether the debate is... oh never mind anyway, has anyone tried the lightning trick, I've been kinda busy lately (working on Mock Trial stuff for school, my school's team won the national championship last year, so I have good people to learn off of). I haven't tried the lightning sky with triggers, but I tried real quick with moving the mouse over the space where the objects' actual um... space is taken up (for lack of a better term) where it highlights itself. It looked cool to me, but hey, we're all too busy debating about whether debating about not debating is worthy debating over
posted 05 December 2004 08:45 PM EDT (US)     24 / 27  

Quote:

and maximizing it until the textures stretch and cause

What does that mean? Do you mean as placing a unit down on the map and enlarge it so big (using the j or k key) that it actually covers the whole sky? ****HUH****

"We are as happy as our minds make up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Proud member of Ambition Designs
posted 05 December 2004 09:54 PM EDT (US)     25 / 27  
I think this is pretty cool and I think I get it too. You can't use it in gameplay, though, cause then you'd just see a big object. Cool find!

-=*Put this in your sig if you or a friend has survived or was killed in a Pokemon battle.*=-
-=Eyecandy & Screenies=-
-=Join the Effort! Community Campaign!=-
-=Email me at: att.151(at)gmail(dot)com=-
-=My AoM:TT Tag=-
posted 06 December 2004 06:39 PM EDT (US)     26 / 27  
Actually, if you do it right, the object is so big that unless you put the camera at an insane view the object is completely invisible. I'm using it several times in a scenario I'm making, and I make the entire scenario with the "skies" there the entire time. I put them in armies just in case I need to erase them for some reason, but I've found you really don't need to. About the people who aren't understanding this: The texture doesn't stretch so much that it "becomes the sky." What's happening is you're making the object so big that the few pixels that you're seeing of the texture are gradiently smoothed automatically by AOM, giving a sky effect. The object is so big and the texture is so far away that it moves itself behind anything else on the map. here's a stupid diagram:
/ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ\
| |ŻŻŻŻ| |
| |____| |
\ ŻŻŻŻŻ /
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
I know it's retarded, but anyway, the smaller square is your entire map, and the big outline around it is the object you've enlarged to take the place of the sky. Also note that as long as you have the enlarged object at a decent elevation, you can make your camera cuts much steeper downward than usual and still have a sky in the background. With the standard AOM skybox, you must have the camera almost level with the highest terrain, or else point it upward. This really takes away from many cuts that demand showing large portions of terrain while still having a sky in the background. Try it out, maybe that'll help you understand it, 'cause I don't know how else to explain it.

[This message has been edited by Chief_Thunder_ (edited 12-06-2004 @ 06:42 PM).]

posted 06 December 2004 06:46 PM EDT (US)     27 / 27  
Ahh, now I get it. Its cool anyway

-=*Put this in your sig if you or a friend has survived or was killed in a Pokemon battle.*=-
-=Eyecandy & Screenies=-
-=Join the Effort! Community Campaign!=-
-=Email me at: att.151(at)gmail(dot)com=-
-=My AoM:TT Tag=-
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » There's only four skies? yeah right ;)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames