You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Not a guide - Editor Tricks A
posted 18 January 2005 07:22 AM EDT (US)   
Hey guys,
I don't know if anyone else has found this out before, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Using Reyk's wonderful Editor, I found out the following:

1)if you place an object as a player (let's say player 2-not Gaia), and then place terrain down, in game player 2 will be able to see that placed terrain-area, as if though he had units there.

2) when you place down buildings-terrain and stuff, and it's time for playtesting, you can use the editor to switch to player #-whatever the player is going to be, and then press the button move object and then pick a previously placed unit and order (right click) it to move. This way you can see the path it'll take and if it can go over some terrains.

3)While placing gaia buildings and enlarging them, I found out using the method I describe in (2) above, that enlarged buildings keep their original size in "space occupation".
So to solve this and not allow units to move through the walls and such of enlarged buildings, I used the brush at size 1 and placed underneath cliff terrain. Problem solved.
The same must be done with some objects -like Osiris Pyramid Dead- which are like holograms in the game and units just go through them at will.

4) Also, while in Reyk's Editor, if you're already player#, you can move objects of same type -i.e. destroyed buildings medium- by double clicking on one of them. Nothing great, but saves time when you want to move a lot of things to somewhere else.
As pftq wrote: You can move multiple units (Move Object effect) by simply selecting them and then holding down the middle mouse button or scrollwheel.
Let me add to that, you can also move several objects belonging to different players while in Editor, by clicking on each one of those objects and press-holding alt at the same time.

5) Hovering bird trick:
place a bird-type gaia unit of your choice (vulture I prefer), and when it starts to move away, place a TC just on top of it. Last night I did it and the damn thing was "captured" by the gaia unbuilt town centre and now it just stays there hovering above the centre.
maybe I'll try to get a whole bunch of them caught like that, but unfortunately they just flap wings and stay there, just as when you place gaia ravens.

6) Enlarging objects: (use K in the editor and shift+K for shrinking)
Some objects -like rocks, destroyed buildings, etc.- don't have a limit on enlargement.
"Productive buildings" -like TCs, farms, etc.- do have a limit on enlargement, and if enlarged too much they disappear !!!

7) UPSIDE BUILDINGS:
When you flip a building upside down using Reyk's Editor, the building disappears and you can only see it's "shadow" on the map, but it can be attacked.
Point of note, the building cannot "produce" -i.e. cannot place a unit created (that's the message I got from upside TC and Temple while I tested).

I intend to write down all the tricks I find along the way, so that newcomers to designing will be helped and not waste a long time on finding out by themselves as I did, by mostly trial and error.

[This message has been edited by Anastasoulis (edited 01-25-2005 @ 04:39 AM).]

Replies:
posted 18 January 2005 07:30 AM EDT (US)     1 / 19  
Post it in the Wiki .
posted 18 January 2005 07:31 AM EDT (US)     2 / 19  

Quote:

1)if you place an object as a player (let's say player 2-not Gaia), and then place terrain down, in game player 2 will be able to see that placed terrain-area, as if though he had units there.

I assume you mean things like grass and stones.. I didnt realise they had line of site, but revealers do thesame thing anyway

Quote:

2) when you place down buildings-terrain and stuff, and it's time for playtesting, you can use the editor to switch to player #-whatever the player is going to be, and then press the button move object and then pick a previously placed unit and order (right click) it to move. This way you can see the path it'll take and if it can go over some terrains.

So your simply saying we can control units in the editor?... I think everyone knew this

Quote:

3)While placing gaia buildings for my Mechanopolis project, and enlarging them, I found out using the method I describe in (2) above, that enlarged buildings keep their original size in "space occupation".
So to solve this and not allow units to move through the walls and such of enlarged buildings, I used the brush at size 1 and placed underneath cliff terrain. Problem solved.
The same must be done with some objects -like Osiris Pyramid Dead- which are like holograms in the game and units just go through them at will.

Invisible walls work well too

Nice ideas though

posted 18 January 2005 12:05 PM EDT (US)     3 / 19  
1) - i didnt know that...never expected it

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||
posted 19 January 2005 03:36 AM EDT (US)     4 / 19  
Centurion_13, Hi.

For 1) you wrote:
I assume you mean things like grass and stones.. I didnt realise they had line of site, but revealers do the same thing anyway
---------------------------------------------------------
@Apart from grass and stones, it's the trees themselves that "have eyes" - which I think is a good idea for a scenario- and they don't lose this ability if chopped down and gathered by villagers.
You're correct about the revealers, but then you have to place a bunch of them down and I wanted to avoid that.

For 2) you wrote:
So your simply saying we can control units in the editor?... I think everyone knew this
---------------------------------------------------------
@Sorry but you're mistaken, I dind't know this.

Also, while in Reyk's Editor, if you're already player#, you can move objects of same type -i.e. destroyed buildings medium- by double clicking on one of them.
Nothing great, but saves time when you want to move a lot of things to somewhere else.

For 3)you wrote:
Invisible walls work well too
----------------------------------------------------------
@True, but there's a problem with the attack move of non-player units when they come upon a wall, sometimes it just makes them go idle.

FD2
@I went there, but don't know how to do it. Pls feel free to do it for me.

posted 19 January 2005 03:44 AM EDT (US)     5 / 19  
Trick 5) Hovering bird:
place a bird-type gaia unit of your choice (vulture I prefer), and when it starts to move away, place a TC just on top of it. Last night I did it and the damn thing was "captured" by the gaia unbuilt town centre and now it just stays there hovering above the centre.

maybe I'll try to get a whole bunch of birds captured hovering above various buildings.
Nothing great of an idea, just different.

posted 19 January 2005 10:41 AM EDT (US)     6 / 19  
You can move multiple units (Move Object effect) by simply selecting them and then holding down the middle mouse button or scrollwheel.
posted 20 January 2005 02:13 AM EDT (US)     7 / 19  
didn't know that pftq, I thought you had to be placing as player# whose objects you want to move.
You see guys, there's a lot of neat tid bits around that the new people don't know about.
posted 20 January 2005 02:39 AM EDT (US)     8 / 19  
How about editting your post to include them then?

If someone could find a shortcut key to align grid, please post. Sick and tired of going thru the Object Menu every half second.

[This message has been edited by pftq (edited 01-20-2005 @ 02:39 AM).]

posted 20 January 2005 05:43 AM EDT (US)     9 / 19  
pftq thanks for the suggestion.
As to aligning objects, I don't think there's a key, but how about having the grid seen and you placing objects on the grid as it appears in the Editor map.
Alternatively, I suggest you pick all the objects (up to 30) you want them to be aligned -> press the button for placement -> press button for alignement. This just aligns all of them at the same time.
Wow, I just figured another trick for the list, do you agree guys ?

LIST UPDATED

posted 20 January 2005 07:58 AM EDT (US)     10 / 19  
inserted.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 20 January 2005 10:50 AM EDT (US)     11 / 19  

Quote:

As to aligning objects, I don't think there's a key, but how about having the grid seen and you placing objects on the grid as it appears in the Editor map.
Alternatively, I suggest you pick all the objects (up to 30) you want them to be aligned -> press the button for placement -> press button for alignement. This just aligns all of them at the same time.
Wow, I just figured another trick for the list, do you agree guys ?

That's sort of - well you figure that out pretty soon once you learn to select multiple units.

And the reason I want a shortcut key is because I'm using Move Object on individual objects. Simply selecting them all "might" work in some cases but not really.

posted 25 January 2005 04:35 AM EDT (US)     12 / 19  
pftq, I checked it thoroughly and you're right.

6) Enlarging objects: (use K in the editor and shift+K for shrinking)
Some objects -like rocks, destroyed buildings, etc.- don't have a limit on enlargement.
"Productive buildings" -like TCs, farms, etc.- do have a limit on enlargement, and if enlarged too much they disappear !!!

posted 25 January 2005 04:40 AM EDT (US)     13 / 19  
7) UPSIDE BUILDINGS:
When you flip a building upside down using Reyk's Editor, the building disappears and you can only see it's "shadow" on the map, but it can be attacked.
Point of note, the building cannot "produce" -i.e. cannot place a unit created (that's the message I got from upside TC and Temple while I tested).

UPDATED

posted 25 January 2005 04:46 AM EDT (US)     14 / 19  

Quote:

If someone could find a shortcut key to align grid, please post. Sick and tired of going thru the Object Menu every half second.

There is a line you put in the user.cfg that will automaticaly do this.

Ill find it and post it

posted 25 January 2005 06:45 AM EDT (US)     15 / 19  
thanks in advance Centurion_13, pls don't forget
posted 25 January 2005 09:28 AM EDT (US)     16 / 19  
I almost forgot till I saw you mention it in another thread.

I dont remember if it works or not.. But the line is

alignResources

Put that on a new line in the user.cfg

I think it works but I am not 100% sure, I never got around to testing it.

And unfortunantly it only aligns resources (I assume).

posted 25 January 2005 05:47 PM EDT (US)     17 / 19  
I don't want auto-aligners. That would be crazy. I'm just talking about a shortcut key. Thanks for tryng though.
posted 01 February 2005 06:41 AM EDT (US)     18 / 19  
While in the editor -you can pause the editor and this helps in placing objects-effects (like the mercenaries, or glowing stuff) that won't just die or fade out after a while.
The downside of it is, that you can't move any units, resized etc. plus that if you save and exit, then when you load the game from single player, you come up on a "frozen screen" =paused game.

This perhaps is good if someone wants the player to start the game paused so that the he gets oriented with the map before getin' into the action.

posted 03 February 2005 06:17 AM EDT (US)     19 / 19  
Thor's extra-extra Armoury improvements

While working on my The Horde scenario, I found out that if you place an ordinary armory for a Thor player, then YOU CAN RESEARCH ALL ARMORY IMPROVEMENTS DOUBLY, except of course the special Thor improvements of Age4.
Prerequisite: Have placed through the Editor-scenario an ordinary Armory for the Thor Civilization.
This achievement can be done at the same time frame only, and I explain:
when you start -par example- researching Bronze Weapons in Thor's special Dwarven Armoury, you can also research Bronze Weapons at the ordinary armory too -since the icon that gives you that ability is still there. So, if you do this before one or the other armory concludes the research, YOU'LL RECEIVE THE UPGRADE TWICE.
So, I run a test researching twice each upgrade with the above mentioned method, and whoa -Thor's warriors became pretty mean -heavily armoured- fighters.
So after you research Thor's extra armour improvements like Hammer of the Gods, etc., you end up with these stats for Champion units:

Unit Attack Armour Shield
Ulfsark 18 66% 56%
Throwing Axeman 9 66% 56%
Hersir 16 72% 71%
Raider Cav 16 61% 68%
Houskarl 16 59% 76%
Jarl 18 61% 68%

So, imagine a Hersir with 182 HP and the above armour going to battle, or an Ulfsark with 148HP (Valhalla + Berserkergang) with the above armour and doing 19 POINTS OF DAMAGE per hit, how strong that is !

Apart from me and my The Horde scenario, I think this may be useful to someone else as well.

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Not a guide - Editor Tricks A
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames