You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A guide to Trees
posted 26 January 2005 09:44 AM EDT (US)   
A guide to Trees by PhatFish

Trees are one of the basics when filling a map up – it’s an easy way to remove dull and empty spaces. However, with the help of this guide you can turn plain forests into something special and different – something that stands out and adds that + to the map design. There are many ways to create different types of mixed forests, or special trees – have a look at some of them below.

Mixed forest

In the below picture I have mixed 3 types of forest – Tundra, Pines and Oak forest. Using the smallest brush setting, place down some oak trees, and then some pines and tundra trees afterwards. Also, don’t make the forest too thick, which is unrealistic IMO. Real life forest trees aren’t packed that close together as well. So leave some empty spaces between the trees, and make it somewhat look like this:

Mixing tundra trees with snowy pines give also a nice effect.

Special Trees

Special trees include cinematic trees, Tamarisk tree, the Hesperides tree and Gaia trees. They aren’t used often, but they can create a nice effect:

Trees you didn’t know about

Using the enlarge feature (press K when you selected an object) in the Titans, you can create weird looking trees such as this enlarged tundra tree:

Try experimenting with different trees and enlarge them or make ‘em smaller. They can really give nice effects:

Swaying Trees/Forests

You can even make swaying trees using the Walking Trees. Now make sure you block them so they cannot move (you can use the invisable walls for example to close them in) and place them in a bit of thick forest, so you can hide their roots. It now looks like wind is blowing through the forest. The only problem is when the animation turns 90 degrees, but nevertheless it’s a nice effect:

Tilted Trees

Using reyk’s Xeditor, you can tilt trees to various angles. This makes trees look even more realistic, or look like a meteor struck the forest:

You can also tilt them at a 90 degree angle, so they “lay” on the ground as logs.

You should now be able to create realistic looking forests, just mix some different trees in and add some stones or whatever to make it look perfect.

I hope this guide helped you. Comments or tips are greatly appreciated!

- PhatFish

Replies:
posted 26 January 2005 09:58 AM EDT (US)     1 / 24  
very good guide. Although using herpedes trees isnt a good idea since they will turn back to their original size once the players are out of LOS of that object.

you can also use some grass, or tree stump plus a tilted tree on the floor to make it seem as though it had fallen. Also, tilt the herpedes tree on its back to see a cool stump.

here is an example of when you add all these objects together
[JPEG, (144.86 KB)]

Also, tilting those tamarisk trees is also a good idea and using effects like blowing leaves, and simmilar. also sprite rocks

regards
Auron

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||

[This message has been edited by Auron_ (edited 01-26-2005 @ 10:00 AM).]

posted 26 January 2005 10:34 AM EDT (US)     2 / 24  
Nice guide! All I have to add to it is to use size 1 brush, that places down single trees. Well done.

-=Skycat=-
posted 26 January 2005 10:47 AM EDT (US)     3 / 24  
Great guide.
posted 26 January 2005 10:53 AM EDT (US)     4 / 24  
posted 26 January 2005 01:43 PM EDT (US)     5 / 24  
Very good guide. Well done.
And thanks for the enlarged tundra tree. Didn't know that...

The Oden King
-LFS--LTA-
posted 26 January 2005 02:00 PM EDT (US)     6 / 24  
added.
Nice guide, should help people to give that extra edge to their forests.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 26 January 2005 04:11 PM EDT (US)     7 / 24  
posted 26 January 2005 04:14 PM EDT (US)     8 / 24  
Nice eyecandy guide .
posted 26 January 2005 04:46 PM EDT (US)     9 / 24  
Nice guide phatty!
posted 26 January 2005 05:15 PM EDT (US)     10 / 24  
A++

Awesome guide.

posted 26 January 2005 06:12 PM EDT (US)     11 / 24  

Quoted from skycat:

All I have to add to it is to use size 1 brush, that places down single trees. Well done.

Place them as objects using "Place Objects". That's even better because it doesn't change the terrain.

posted 26 January 2005 06:16 PM EDT (US)     12 / 24  
A+

Very Prettyful.

~Ãû$tïñ Powrs~
INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY
Coolness:
Smartness:
Sexyness:
posted 26 January 2005 08:16 PM EDT (US)     13 / 24  
yea, really nice guide there mate i'm sure alot of new commers will find this usefull

about the screenshot i showed you; well, it wasnt really to show off, it was just to show you that if you included more details as of using rocks, granite rocks, grass, ETC, the result would be something like the forest screenshot i made, but anywayz, it is fine as it is.

regards
Auron

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||
posted 26 January 2005 09:23 PM EDT (US)     14 / 24  
Nice guide. This is a good nature guide.

posted 27 January 2005 04:43 AM EDT (US)     15 / 24  
Very very good guide. I never thought of using walking trees like that, and it is a very good idea.

    
posted 27 January 2005 04:44 AM EDT (US)     16 / 24  
All of them I used before, other than the moving tree. Quite innovative, but you can still see the roots.

posted 27 January 2005 09:05 AM EDT (US)     17 / 24  
Yeah, but I did that so you can see the effect, and how to put them in. You can cover them up with other trees or rocks etc.
posted 28 January 2005 05:01 AM EDT (US)     18 / 24  
Well done PhatFish.
What's your opinion on the forests that can be put down with Editor mods? (i.e. Fangorn Forest, etc.)
I really think that other people have also added a lot to the game, but you've really added an original idea about "swaying trees". Bravo.
posted 28 January 2005 06:56 AM EDT (US)     19 / 24  
Would it be rude to say that that did nothing for me?

Good guide, well done, but for me, been there-done that.

posted 28 January 2005 11:31 AM EDT (US)     20 / 24  
^Quiet you.
What's your opinion on the forests that can be put down with Editor mods
Well basically I don't like mods much... I've used cheezy's once tho, the trees used in it where awesome, so yes, they look good in scenario's.

[This message has been edited by PhatFish (edited 04-01-2013 @ 11:09 AM).]

posted 01 February 2005 05:53 AM EDT (US)     21 / 24  
hey PhatFish,
I don't think we could do without those certain special mods -like Reyk's editor par example, which we all use as I see in your images.
Your guide is pretty good, but in my opinion when designing one has to resort to using those special terrain mods and only "architectural work" -of the type presented in your guide, only in certain areas or be lost and take forever to finish a design.
congrats again
posted 02 February 2005 01:46 PM EDT (US)     22 / 24  
Well... I was thinking to make an editor to make custom trees... Sounds cool huh? But it is'nt going well because when i start AOM up again it crashes i need a year of 2 to make everything work well.. but it will be able to download when its ready!
posted 04 February 2005 02:00 AM EDT (US)     23 / 24  
you should consider that, after a couple of years the interest on the game will have diminished and so very few people will be able to enjoy your finished mod.
posted 04 February 2005 02:48 AM EDT (US)     24 / 24  
Maybe he can try in AoEIII. That'll last at least 3 years.

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » A guide to Trees
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames