Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Auron's Cinematic Blocks & Invisible Objects Guide
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 29 January 2005 12:21 PM EDT (US)   
Auron's Cinematic Blocks & Invisible Objects Guide

Introduction: In this guide I'll teach you how to use invisible targets, non-visible in game play. I'll also go over how to use them, and what each object does. This includes; cinematic blocks, revealers, death revealers, vision revealers, revealer to player, attack revealer, camera start, invisible targets, invisible ram, yardsticks, and Victory Marker.

1). Cinematic Blocks Cinematic Blocks are invisible targets, and they can be used in different ways besides in cinematics. They can only be seen in the editor, and can't be interacted with, unless using effects/conditions such as change unit type, army change unit type, convert, distance to unit, ETC. They are simmilar to ghost armies, except cinematic blocks exist, where as ghost armies needs effects such as army deploy to define the type of unit, heading, amount of units that will spawn, place, and time. The army editor does not work with cinematic blocks. Therefore, you cannot create an army of cinematic blocks, though you can change an entire army into cinematic blocks

A). Types Of Cinematic Blocks: There are two different types of cinematic blocks. The Yellow-green block defines a front and back of an object. It is highly recommendable to use it when changing to units, since you are able to know which way this cinematic block will be heading when is changed into a unit. This cinematic block can also be used for effects where its required to define in which way the object will be heading, when it changes to an effect.

The Red-blue block is used for effects. Unlike the yellow-green block, it doesnt define a front and back of a unit. However, you can still use it to change into a unit, thats if you dont have any problems with which way your cinematic block will be heading when changed into a unit. Keep in mind that this object is selectable in the editor, unlike the yellow-green block.

B). Scaling Units/Objects: Scaling cinematic blocks, revealers, and other invisible targets with the K and Shift + K method is useless since when they are changed into units, their size will not change and remain the same, Example:

C). Sound Gaia SFX: This object has the same uses as a normal cinematic block does, and looks the same as a cinematic block. However, It generates a sound which can be heard depending how close you are to it. Like a normal cinematic block, it has two different kinds of blocks, and can't be visible during game play. Keep in mind that this object is found under the "misc objects" on reyks latest editor.

2). Revealers: Revealers are objects non visible during game play. They reveal certain portion of the map to the person who owns it. There are four different revealers; revealer, revealer to player, death revealer, and vision revealer. Each revealer reveals different lines of sight. They can be interacted with triggers as well, such as convert, and pretty much acts like a cinematic block except they have a bigger LOS.

Revealer: Gives a line of sight to all players, which can be seen through fog of war.
Revelaer to Player: Reveals the same line of sight that a normal revealer, but is only visible to the player who owns it.
death revealer: Gives a short line of sight for less than 10-15 seconds to whomever owns it. After that, the area will be seen as "non explored." This object cannot be visible in the editor, nor in game play
Attack Revealer: Provides as twice as much line of sight than a death revealer. It lasts between 10-15 seconds. This object is not visible in the editor, nor in game play.
Vision Revealer: Provides the same Line Of Sight of Set's God power Vision, to the player who owns it.

3). Invisible Ram, yardstick & Targets: Invisible targets are visible in the editor, and look like ordinary red-blue cinematic blocks. Invisible targets provide as much LOS as a normal cinematic block. Keep in mind that this object causes obstruction, meaning it cant be placed close to another object and other units cant get near it, unless moving it manually. These are basically invisible units and can be moved through just as a Cinematic Block would. However, if the "target" is from an enemy player, units will attack it. Invisible targets are used as "targets" for effects and/or godpowers such as restoration, thunderstorm, ETC, where it is required to have an object in sight in order for the effect to fire. For instance:

Invisible target however is able to work with the army editor. Unlike cinematic blocks you can create an army of invisible objects to later change into units. They are also selectable. Invisible Ram is an useless object. It has as much line of sight as an attack revealer, and cannot be seen in the editor, nor in game play. Seconds after you put this object in the editor, it will desappear. Yardstick is yet another useless objects, which were meant to be markers. Like the invisible ram, it desappears seconds later after you have placed this object. However, you can use it to change an entire army/unit into yardsticks, that is, if you want the army to desappear and get deleted.

4). Invisible Gate & Walls: Invisible gate provides as much line of sight as a normal age 1 gate to whomever owns it. It has a rock medium shape, and it doesn't define a front, back, and/or sides. This object is as large as a large trojan wall, since it occupies the same radious/area of a large trojan wall. It is complex to know which way the gate is facing, unless you have a visible gate get changed into an invisible gate.

Invisible Walls are just about the same as invisible gates. It is visible in the editor(as an age 1 wall), but not in game play. However, it is mostly used with the effect change unit type, from a visible wall into a invisible wall. When the wall is invisible it cannot be damaged, just like an invisible gate.

5). Camera Start & Victory Markers: Victory markers have the same apparence as a cinematic block, or an invisible target. They provide the same LOS as a cinematic block. Victory markers are pretty much the same as cinematic blocks, only that they only have one type of block which is the red-blue block, and can be selectable. Like the invisible target, you can create an army with the army editor, or change an entire army into victory markers.

Camera Start are objects non visible in game play. They act as a camera start-cut to the player who owns it. They are mostly used in multiplayer scenarios and random maps to provide an inmmediately camera cut into each player's towncenter. The starting point of a camera depends on who owns it and where you place it.

Final Notes: After reading through this guide, you should now be able to understand how to use them in cinematics, triggers, or without triggers. You can download this guide here. If you have any suggestions/questions, email me at: nick_nbm@hotmail.com, or post here.

[This message has been edited by Auron_ (edited 01-29-2005 @ 11:59 PM).]

Replies:
posted 29 January 2005 12:31 PM EDT (US)     1 / 44  
Great guide very helpfull. well done!

(¯`·.`.¸¸.°°.¸¸.`.·´¯)
(°¸.·`«Slick G»`·.¸°)
(¯`·.`.¸¸..¸¸.`.·´¯)
posted 29 January 2005 12:35 PM EDT (US)     2 / 44  
Very nice guide Auron ! I knew most of it, but it's certainly helpful for many people! Interesting topic as well!

Quote:

It lasts between 10-15

You can look that up in the protox (under "lifespan"), I believe it's 15 seconds.

BTW: Why did you draw a revealer as it's showed in the editor in the screenshot of the revealer/revealer to player?

Another BTW: I prefer a modded invisible target, because the one in the game is vulnerable and has an obstruction.

Great work!

posted 29 January 2005 12:37 PM EDT (US)     3 / 44  
well, i took a screenshot of each object since i know some people dont know how they look, or how they are called at all.

dont you mean invisible target? those do cause obstruction, i'll add that

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||
posted 29 January 2005 12:39 PM EDT (US)     4 / 44  
Nice guide, but you made one mistake:
Invisible walls ARE visible in editor
posted 29 January 2005 12:41 PM EDT (US)     5 / 44  
Great guide.
posted 29 January 2005 12:48 PM EDT (US)     6 / 44  
@Reinfire, fixed...sorry got confused there

@everyone else, thanx

posted 29 January 2005 01:02 PM EDT (US)     7 / 44  

Quote:

dont you mean invisible target

Isn't that what I wrote ? I'm confused...
posted 29 January 2005 01:06 PM EDT (US)     8 / 44  
ouch i thought i saw "invislbe object"

posted 29 January 2005 01:09 PM EDT (US)     9 / 44  
Great guide!
posted 29 January 2005 01:12 PM EDT (US)     10 / 44  

Quote:

ouch i thought i saw "invislbe object"

Maybe you want to add that they're not invincible, as I said before. That means if you task a unit on it to attack it, it maybe won't take much time until the unit stops attacking it .
posted 29 January 2005 01:14 PM EDT (US)     11 / 44  
well, i thought the invisible object obstruction only applied inside the editor...i frankly never had any problem with it, but since you said it does causes obstruction in game, then i'll edit it

posted 29 January 2005 01:51 PM EDT (US)     12 / 44  
Yet again another amazing guide.
posted 29 January 2005 01:52 PM EDT (US)     13 / 44  
Awesome guide man, great job!

posted 29 January 2005 02:05 PM EDT (US)     14 / 44  
Great guide! Only complaint is that you made me forget what thread I was about to make...

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
posted 29 January 2005 02:44 PM EDT (US)     15 / 44  
Is it possible that that yard stick serves some still unknown purpose, when you change a unit to a yard stick it is visible untill it disapates. Making it rather useless, as far as I know.

edit:the name seems to reffers to the time elapsed as it disapates. I thought It might be a proto place holder for when a death annimation plays, my guess.

[This message has been edited by sziggi (edited 01-29-2005 @ 03:26 PM).]

posted 29 January 2005 03:38 PM EDT (US)     16 / 44  
Invisible Target: These are basically invisible units and CAN be moved through just as a Cinematic Block would. HOWEVER, if the "target" is from an enemy player, units will attack it!

Should add that in to make it clear. I use them in every one of my scenarios so I'm pretty sure about what I'm saying.

posted 29 January 2005 05:19 PM EDT (US)     17 / 44  
Sexy guide . Great work, Auron!

Quoted from pftq:

Invisible Target: These are basically invisible units and CAN be moved through just as a Cinematic Block would. HOWEVER, if the "target" is from an enemy player, units will attack it!

Yep, invisible targets from an enemy player can be used as sort of like training dummies for your units to attack on.

posted 29 January 2005 06:35 PM EDT (US)     18 / 44  
great guide, invisible objects are very useful in scenario design.

RAF The Dragon Cult Empires Fallen City AOM TT SCIPIO 1.1 LOTB The Lost Legion The Guardians Adventurers 1&2&3
Proud member of no ****ing clan
_
_|_|_
|_|_|_|
|_|

rest in peace Compy (February 2001, May 2006)
Scenario Editor Screens
posted 29 January 2005 06:36 PM EDT (US)     19 / 44  
I find that I get frustrated bug time with Invisible Gates. Why oh why didn't ES just make them look like real gates, like what they did with the invisible walls? Anyway, Auron, your solution of changing a real Gate to an Invisible Gate with triggers is ingenius!
posted 29 January 2005 09:37 PM EDT (US)     20 / 44  
hey i'm back from work

thanx for the comments everyone. Now to answer:

Quote:

Is it possible that that yard stick serves some still unknown purpose, when you change a unit to a yard stick it is visible untill it disapates. Making it rather useless, as far as I know

well sziggi, thats exactly what i put in the guide if you read it, and if someone finds a use for it, then i'll update the guide

@pftq, thanx i'll add that

@Mythos, well, about that gate, is kind of obious...and i also discovered changing unit type from a normal gate to an invisible gate today

@everyone, thanx for the comments rock on!

[This message has been edited by Auron_ (edited 01-29-2005 @ 09:48 PM).]

posted 29 January 2005 09:41 PM EDT (US)     21 / 44  
Hey looks good. Good guide.

posted 29 January 2005 11:07 PM EDT (US)     22 / 44  
thanx Echo

btw, i submitted the guide into the design hint tips and tutorials section.

http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=3876

and you might wonder why i do it. well because i know some members around here dont check the forums but rather use this site for download section only.

posted 30 January 2005 00:43 AM EDT (US)     23 / 44  
Here is one for you Auron:

• Spider - change a cinematic block (or any unit) into a spider, and use UnitWork to make the spider attack a nearby enemy unit (that is 3 radius or less from the spider).

Change the spider back to its former self when it has "eaten" the enemy unit, so that the spider can be used to attack again.

• posted 30 January 2005 01:04 AM EDT (US)     24 / 44  
    I didn't know that! Wow, thanks Alexander! *sneaks off to lay spiders throughout his scen*
    posted 30 January 2005 06:57 AM EDT (US)     25 / 44  
    I have only read the first part of the guide (cinematic blocks) but I'll continue when I've post this reply.

You wrote: "Unlike the yellow-green block, it doesnt define a front and back of a unit."

But that is wrong... I always use the blue & red one to units. But unlike the yellow block, the unit doesn't appear in that diection wich he red block point.

Point? you think... "It's an equilateral triangle." Yes but if you select the block it appear a square around it, and the unit will be heading in that direction the backside of the block point. (I hope you understand)

OK, If I use your picture (on the cinematic blocks). On your piture the unit will be heading, right (--> ).

This was maybe a bit confusing... If someone here understamd, you can explain it better.

New member of Tsunami Studios

The Relic of Water (4.3) | The Relic of Darkness (4.6)
    Quam-diu prudentiam habeis, victoria non procul est!

Geniet
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Auron's Cinematic Blocks & Invisible Objects Guide
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames