You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide to Making Quest Var Music Systems
posted 19 February 2005 05:38 PM EDT (US)   
Guide to Making a Quest Var Music System
By ArchNidhogg.

------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------------
Welcome to the "Guide to Making a Quest Var Music System". This guide will explain how to use quest vars in a scenario in order to create a playlist of background music.
------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------------------------
So What is a Quest Var? Well, in order to understand this guide, you will need to know what a quest var is. So either go research it yourself, or read the following. A quest var is an invisible, in game counter that can be managed by triggers. You can have an infinite number of quest vars in any scenario. These invisible counters can be increased or decreased using various trigger effects, and can trigger several events when the invisible counter reaches a specific number, using various trigger conditions.

For example : Trigger 1 - Condition = Always.
- Effect = Quest Var Set (Var Name = "Bob", Value = "0".)

This will create a quest var named "Bob", with a value of "0".

This is basically all that we'll need to know about quest vars for the purpose of this guide. However, if you still do not understand, see xLPx's Quest Var Guide.
So Lets Make a BG Music Playlist! Ok. To do this set up the following triggers :

Trigger 1 - Condition = Quest Var Check (Var Name = "FightMusic", Value = "1")
- Effect = Sound Filename (Filename = "I wish I could throw shapes.mp3", Trigger = "Trigger2")

(Inactive)
Trigger 2 - Condition = Quest Var Check (Var Name = "FightMusic", Value = "1")
- Effect = Sound Filename (Filename = "meatier shower.mp3", Trigger = "Trigger3")

(Inactive)
Trigger 3 - Condition = Quest Var Check (Var Name = "FightMusic", Value = "1")
- Effect = Sound Filename (Filename = "rot loaf.mp3", Trigger = "Trigger1")

There. That is three triggers. 2 of them are inactive - so that they will not fire right away. The first one is active - which means it will fire as soon as the quest var named "FightMusic" has a value of "1". Also, the effect is set so that Trigger 1 plays a music file called "I wish I could throw shapes.mp3" (which is an AOM fight music). When the sound file is done playng, the effect will start Trigger 2. This means that the next sound file will start playing (meatier shower.mp3), and when that is done it will fire Trigger 3, which will play the sound "rot loaf.mp3". And when that sound is done it will play the first one again.

So, this is a continuous background music playlist. But why were the quest vars put in? Well, the quest vars are there so that the playlist can be stopped or started at any time. In order to start playing the above sounds, in a playlist, set up a trigger like this :

Trigger 4 - Condition = Anything You Want
- Effect = Quest Var Set (Var Name = "FightMusic", Value = "1")

This trigger sets the quest var named "FightMusic" to have a value of "1". And when this quest var has a value of "1", the playlist will start. To stop the BG Music playlist set up a trigger like this :

Trigger 5 - Condition = Anything You Want
- Effect = Quest Var Set (Var Name = "FightMusic", Value = "0")

This trigger will stop the playlist from playing further than the sound it is already playing. To stop the currently playing sound, use a "FadeOutAllSounds" effect, right after the quest var is set to "0".

And there yoy have it! You have just set up a fight-themed background music system using quest vars.
So What Can I Modify in This? Well, to suit your needs, you can change the sounds that are played. Change the filename "I wish I could throw shapes.mp3" to "chocolate outline (mellow mix).mp3" to have quiet music play. You can also make the playlist longer by adding more triggers like Trigger 2 and Trigger 3. Then set up multiple quest vars. Name one "QuietMusic", another "FightMusic" and another "NormalMusic", and assign different sound files to each. That way you can trigger any BG music you want, at any time in the game.
Thats About It. Visit www.archsyndicate.com. Or else.

This guide has been brought to you by ArchNidhogg of The ArchDesigner Syndicate.

Good luck, and make some quest var music systems!

The Night Tower
_-~:|Septenary|:~-_

[This message has been edited by ArchNidhogg (edited 11-21-2005 @ 05:46 PM).]

Replies:
posted 19 February 2005 05:46 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11  
everything here is great apart from the fact that you need a clearer section divides.

the fate of Rome lies in your hands
---------------------------
S . P . Q . R
---------------------------
comming soon
posted 19 February 2005 06:08 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11  
Great! I'm gonna use this...
Man, I'm using so much community advice I might as well say By: AoMH Scen. Design forum instead of by ATTEcLiPsE1...

always with the little things, pharoh...lol jk

-=*Put this in your sig if you or a friend has survived or was killed in a Pokemon battle.*=-
-=Eyecandy & Screenies=-
-=Join the Effort! Community Campaign!=-
-=Email me at: att.151(at)gmail(dot)com=-
-=My AoM:TT Tag=-
posted 20 February 2005 02:51 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11  
Thanks for your comments.

The Night Tower
_-~:|Septenary|:~-_
posted 21 February 2005 08:53 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11  
Nice guide Nidhogg. This will really help me with my current scenario I have something like this currently in it but the quest Vars will let me control it much better.
posted 21 February 2005 08:56 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11  
Another cool thing you can do is random music files using quest var randomise. That could be a cool effect also!

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.
posted 22 February 2005 08:01 AM EDT (US)     6 / 11  
added.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 22 February 2005 12:03 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11  
Great, nice guide for those noobs that are too dumb to find out themselves, not naming any names *cough*Gaurdian*cough*

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
posted 22 February 2005 01:49 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11  
Lol Rider ...

Anyway, another great application of QVs.

posted 22 February 2005 06:05 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11  
Norse Wars uses the random QV to generate random music I think.

For random music, you can try having the playlist triggers on loop and active.

Add an extra effect to each music trigger called "QV Set" which sets the music to 0.

THEN have the soundfilename effect fire the "Randomizing" trigger.

The randomizing trigger would be active ONCE and set a QV.

So basically:

Randomizer > One of the music triggers > Randomizer > One of the Music triggers...

[This message has been edited by pftq (edited 02-22-2005 @ 06:08 PM).]

posted 22 February 2005 07:43 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11  

Quote:

Jakwarrior: [This will really help me with my current scenario

Isn't this our next map or is this one ur working on?

[This message has been edited by Vo1ture (edited 02-22-2005 @ 07:56 PM).]

posted 23 February 2005 04:13 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11  

Quote:

Isn't this our next map or is this one ur working on?

Well vo1ture, I was talking about my own sceario, but we could use that if you wanted.

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Guide to Making Quest Var Music Systems
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames