You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: newbie guide to making shops
posted 22 February 2005 07:46 PM EDT (US)   
All the more experienced scenario builders know everything i will say here, but this might be usefull to the people who are new to scenario building.

-What are shops?

Shops, the name says it, are places where you can buy things that will make you better, this can be by buying units, godpowers, upgrades, buildings etc etc. Shops are found in many RPG's and Blood Games and allways give the game a nice touch.

-How do I make shops?

There are two different ways in which u can use a shop.

1) You can have 1 buying unit which stands in the shop and when he buys something, you lose recources :

In this example, an old man is the buying unit and he buys a hoplite for 100 gold

Trigger 1 - Active, Loop (use the loop when you want to be able to buy something more than once).

Condition :

Units in Area:
Center unit : cinematic block (you can use other things as center unit as well)
Area Size : 3 (you can use other ranges as well, but dont make it 20 or something)
Player : 1
Unit type : old man
Operator : =
Quantity : 1

Timer - 2 seconds (this way you buy something every 2 seconds when you stand near the center unit (cinematic block) and gives you time to get the old man out of the buying are when you have bought enough)

Player Recourse Count:
Recource type : gold
Operator : =>
quantity : 100
(This will make sure you can only buy something when u have 100 or more gold)

Effect:

Army Deploy:
army : Plyr1_arm1
Set Area : area where u want the hoplite to appear
Unit : Hoplite

Grant Recources:
Recourse type : gold
Quantity : -100
(This will substract 100 gold from your stockpile)

Send Spoofed Chat to Player: (optional)
Fake Player : 0
To Player : 1
Text : Hoplite bought for 100 gold

2) Another way of using shops is: Units will get spawned in the shop (for example, 1 unit for every 100 gold). You need a certain amount of Units to buy something. When you bought it, the units disappear:

In this example, you need 5 old man to give all your toxotes +50 hp. You get an old man for every 100 gold you gather.

Trigger 1 - Active, Loop (This trigger spawns the old men)

Condition:

Player Recource Count:
Recource type : gold
Operator : =>
Quantity : 100

Effect :

Army Deploy:
Army : Plyr1_arm1
Set Area : Area in the shop where you want the old man to appear
Unit : old man

Grant Recources:
Recourse Type : gold
Quantity : -100

Text : You have received an old man

Trigger 2 - Active, Loop (this trigger buys the upgrade for 5 old men)

Condition:

Units in Area:
Center Unit : Cinematic Block
Area Size : 5
Unit type : old man
Operator : =
Quantity: 5

Effect:

Modify Protounit:
Protounit : toxotes
Type of modification : Hitpoints
Delta (quantity): 50

Damage Units in Area:
Center Unit : the same cinematic block that you used in the Units in Area condition
Area Size : 5
Unit Type : old man
Quantity : 5000 (more then the hp of the units you buy it with)
(This will make sure that the old men disappear when you bought the upgrade)

Text: You receive +50 hitpoints for all your Toxotes

-What does my shop look like?

Basically, you can make you shop look like anything, but i will give you some advice how a basic shop looks. A shop is made out of little square area's which are lined up. I little bit like this:

|_|_|_|_|_|_|

This structure can be made by walls, or with cliff terrain, made with a small brush size. Behind each of those square area's you can make a gaia object which indicates what you buy. When you buy a soldier, place a gaia unit of the same soldier behind it. Make sure that you are ally of gaia (using the diplomacy effect), or else the ranged merchandise will attack you. For god powers and upgrades you can use a statue to represent it. Change the names of indicators so the people know what they are buying, and also add the price of the unit/godpower/upgrade. In the center of the square area, you put the cinematic block, which is the center unit for the shop-triggers. You can make the square areas look nicer, for example, by adding a carpet, flowers or a flag.

Of course there are other ways of making a shop, but this is the most basic way there is.

Reinfire
--Retired Scenario Designer--
Everybody needs to beleive in something. I beleive I will have another beer
Replies:
posted 22 February 2005 10:04 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12  
ok

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.
posted 23 February 2005 02:51 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12  
Nice guide, but screenies would be nice.

    
posted 23 February 2005 03:00 AM EDT (US)     3 / 12  
agrees with Outlandish

the fate of Rome lies in your hands
---------------------------
S . P . Q . R
---------------------------
comming soon
posted 23 February 2005 07:01 AM EDT (US)     4 / 12  
nice guide Reinfire
all that a newcomer could ask for, and more important I think was the explaining-logic behind each trigger.
Well done
posted 23 February 2005 10:44 AM EDT (US)     5 / 12  
i do it a different way but good work noobs(like myself will learn alot)
posted 24 February 2005 07:42 AM EDT (US)     6 / 12  
added.

Theris264
former Age of Mythology Heaven and Age of Empires III Heaven forumer||former member of Ambition Designs
"An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind" -Gandhi
posted 27 February 2005 07:29 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12  

Quoted from "Thread title:

newbie guide to making shops

I hope that was 'newbie' as in for 'a guide for newbies'.

Leader of Liquid Fire. Animator Seb C.

One does not simply leave HG
posted 27 February 2005 08:08 AM EDT (US)     8 / 12  
lol.

(¯`·.`.¸¸.°°.¸¸.`.·´¯)
(°¸.·`«Slick G»`·.¸°)
(¯`·.`.¸¸..¸¸.`.·´¯)
posted 06 March 2005 01:23 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12  
job well done. ive been trying to come up with a system for making shops for weeks now, but all of them had one glitch or another. thanks much for finally supplying an answer.

However, I must agree with Outlandish. This needs a few pics. All in all, though, a good job.

This message courtesy of your humble servant,
Dwarf.

Oh, how I wish for soothing rain
All I wish is to dream again.
-Nightwish

posted 06 March 2005 01:30 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12  
Yeah these are pretty easy to make, but they're extremly time-consuming in MP maps because you have to copy copy copy the trigger for each player.
posted 06 March 2005 04:13 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12  
*sigh* i learned the hard way, looking at Xamolxis and Sims Maps tirelessly searching for the safley hidden trigger. I didnt have any guides like this, which is a great one by the way. IT DROVE ME INSANE! *twitch* hehehe.. but that was a year ago.... Sims maps use to many shops! Thats why they are so popular! Face the facts ppl, Aom isnt about buying a virtual dog, its for creating massive virtual civilizations and (virtually) creaming your opponent. If you wanna buy a pet, go to Neopets.

-Ruler_of_games

[This message has been edited by Ruler_of_games (edited 03-06-2005 @ 04:14 PM).]

posted 07 March 2005 11:32 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12  
AoM is what we make it.Wish we had soldier store=(.The sims lol I *dislike* those maps along with all maps where you start with a million colossi v a billion medusas.No skill in those maps.Is this what you mean ruler of games or do you mean a giant world where you have to work and stuff like things in real life.Real life would be an awesome map featured in ancient times.A godo example of this would be sorcery.Sorcery I like very much but it's single player I would love a multiplayer sorcery hehehe.Hey well nice guide,I prefer use army distance to point so i don't have to place a cinematic block.I don't believe it matters tho.

Mailman<-----He Delivers =D
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » newbie guide to making shops
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames