Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A guide for infinite levels and few triggers for skills in rpgs
posted 05 August 2005 10:38 AM EDT (US)   
This system is a leveling up system. It is unique to other leveling up systems in that there is no maximum level to reach - the number of levels that can be reached is infinite.

This system uses the stat 'units killed cost' as the player's total experience. Normally in the game, when the player kills a creature, the killed creature's 'cost' is added to the player's stat 'units killed cost'. I am using creatures' 'costs' here as the experience that is gained from killing it. A creature's cost can be changed using modify protounit.

Trigger 1 Active, looped
Condition:
QV stat value: Player 1’s stat 'Units killed cost' is larger than the QV 'exp_total'
Optional effects:
  • QV set stat value: QV 'exp_addition', to be set to the value of player 1’s stat 'units killed cost'
  • QV modify 2: QV 'exp_addition' minus QV 'exp_total'
  • Send chat to player: From player 0 to player 1: You've earned "+trQuestVarGet("exp_addition")+" experience points.
    Mandatory effect:
    QV set stat value: QV 'exp_total' to be set to the value of player 1’s stat 'units killed cost'.

Trigger 2 Active, looped
    Condition:
    QV compare: QV 'exp_total' larger or equal to QV 'exp_nextlevel'
    Mandatory effects:
  • QV modify: QV 'exp_nextlevel' multiplied by 3.6 (see note)
  • modify protounit: Player 1, protounit being the character, stat and the subsequent increase being your choice.
    Opitional effect:
  • QV modify: QV 'level' plus 1
  • overlay text: You've reached skill level "+trQuestVarGet("level")

Note: Increase this value make it hard to level up.

[This message has been edited by greyshark (edited 02-27-2008 @ 10:24 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 05 August 2005 11:32 AM EDT (US)     1 / 15  
    Nice guide - but I've only scanned it, not read it, because both Theris and Villi wrote a similar guide before. You seem to focus more on the practical use of such a trigger set (skills) than your two predecessors, and in that way you've wrote a "new" guide. Good job
    posted 05 August 2005 11:42 AM EDT (US)     2 / 15  
    Very good job greyshark, its very... complex! Most people on the forum proubly wont understand it, but the people that do I'm sure will put it to good use!

My rating: 9/10
    (-1:

Quote:

Conditions:
    The character is the unit what the skill represents. E.g., the character is a swordsman if the skill is swordsmanship.

I dont understand, how is that the Condition?)

oh you can wait for what I can give
    you know what I am so you know how I live
    try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
    its happening now and it’s always been like this.
    posted 05 August 2005 12:00 PM EDT (US)     3 / 15  
    @Papaya
    Ah, good question. There isn't a condition where it checks to see if an army is a certain unit. What you'd do is when the character changes unit a QV (e.g. char_unit_ID) changes. E.g., one could have the QV set as 1 if the character becomes a swordsman, 2 if the character becomes an axeman, etc. Then, to check if the character is a certain unit you'd use the condition QV check.
    posted 05 August 2005 12:17 PM EDT (US)     4 / 15  
    or if that's the only unit on the map u could always do the "unit type in area" trigger.
    posted 05 August 2005 12:25 PM EDT (US)     5 / 15  
    I'm gonna use this, actually. Better then my 7-level system, anyway. My leveling system has 3 triggers per group of enemies, plus triggers for other levels and things.

This is help clear things up. TY, greyshark!

-=*Put this in your sig if you or a friend has survived or was killed in a Pokemon battle.*=-
    -=Eyecandy & Screenies=-
    -=Join the Effort! Community Campaign!=-
    -=Email me at: att.151(at)gmail(dot)com=-
    -=My AoM:TT Tag=-
    posted 05 August 2005 01:43 PM EDT (US)     6 / 15  
    Snxt:P I've had a bad experience with snxt as of recently.I have this map thats finished but other people without snxt can't host it without it oos.However,if I host it it seems to work.
    posted 05 August 2005 02:02 PM EDT (US)     7 / 15  
    @LuCkyMaN
    I have thought of a way to have the same system but without the use of Reyk's conditions and effects. It requires more triggers and is not as effective though. Perhaps I'll include it soon.
    posted 05 August 2005 05:06 PM EDT (US)     8 / 15  
    Nice, this may save me a lot of triggertime

Reinfire
    --Retired Scenario Designer--
    Everybody needs to beleive in something. I beleive I will have another beer
    posted 05 August 2005 07:06 PM EDT (US)     9 / 15  
    Humph, I can't get snxt to work. Ah well, I'll use my own clumsy system. It works and its pretty solid too, so that's good enough, right?

-=*Put this in your sig if you or a friend has survived or was killed in a Pokemon battle.*=-
    -=Eyecandy & Screenies=-
    posted 05 August 2005 07:32 PM EDT (US)     10 / 15  
    I believe you've gotta open typetest in notepad and click SAVE. Otherwhise AoM somehow doesn't acknowledge the changes.
    posted 05 August 2005 07:33 PM EDT (US)     11 / 15  
    snxt didn't work for me too until I found out I had to delete the typetest.xmb from the trigger2 folder.
    posted 05 August 2005 07:34 PM EDT (US)     12 / 15  
    Damn you :P

I got PFTQ to design something similar to this for a new scenario of mine the other day, thought it was fairly unique - obviously not

But my idea allows the player to quote their level well, be told... You can't quote on an MP.
    Suppose your does too... But still...
    I suggested a different way of approaching it, I suggested for PFTQ to use a resource as a count of level, then from that to be able to quote levels and increase levels. Essentially a resource is the base for the trigger set. I think he got it down to... Three triggers for the basic leveling... Plus one or two extras. Using a resource as the base is easier to produce and more effective, I'd say.

Good to see people are still making inovative things.

"That's your excuse for everything... Someone's either pregnant or a communist."
    Protecting the public from the Christian Taliban since forever.

[This message has been edited by Nodgene (edited 08-05-2005 @ 07:42 PM).]

posted 05 August 2005 09:17 PM EDT (US)     13 / 15  
    So I have to save the typetest or delete it? I don't have access to my AoM computer right now so I'll just make sure before actually doing it.

In any case, I'm going to use it once i get the snxt to work. It is very nice, I can't believe how crude my system is compared to yours.

-=Eyecandy & Screenies=-
    posted 06 August 2005 07:42 AM EDT (US)     14 / 15  
    I've taken the typetest to a backup folder. That way I can move it back if I want to. You can also get the typetest file from the aom CD.
    posted 06 August 2005 03:42 PM EDT (US)     15 / 15  
    All these quest vars make me dissy.
    Because haven't experiensed them so well.And I downloaded new triggers today.

But I'm going to need level ups for my upcoming scenario. So I am going to need this guide a lot.
    So thanks.
    I just hope it wouldn't be that complicated.

_____
    /Hessu\
    /My scenarios\~
    ________*-(_)------(_)--*^________
    PROUD MEMBER OF TSUNAMI STUDIOS
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » A guide for infinite levels and few triggers for skills in rpgs
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames