You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Forum Newcomer? Look Here!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 24 November 2005 02:54 PM EDT (US)   

Forum Newcomer? Have a Question? Read On!

Recently, I've noticed a surge of "question" threads, posted by predominantly new forumers. And things are becoming unnecessarily cluttered.

So. First of all, to all of the forum newcomers, on behalf of HG, welcome to AoMH....

Now, to be spared the wrath of the Angels, there are a few principles you must follow....

1. To be a good little forumer, it's imperative that you at least scan the Code of Conduct. Failing to comply with those rules can result in some unpleasant consequences, such as official warnings and bannings and the like.

2. It's important to get a handle on how to use the forums. Thus, make sure to read over the Forum FAQ. It'll explain all the important bits about the forums, like how to edit posts, use BB code, make signatures.... that sort of thing.

3. Finally, and the main purpose of this thread, the "question" threads. Ah, the "question" threads. Basically, no one likes having to answer the same queries over and over again. Nor do they like having to sift through a massive clutter of such threads every day.

So. If you plan to start designing scenarios and modpacks and the like, first I suggest you try to figure it out on your own first. The best way to learn is through hands-on experience. But even the best of us need help from time to time. So to guide you along, there are many helpful articles in the Scenario Design Library, written by our best and brightest designers, past and present. Other helpful links can be found in this thread.

If you still can't figure out what you're trying to do from all that, before you go nuts making threads about it, use the forum Search Function! I can't stress that enough. Just about any design question you can think of has probably been asked and responded to at least once, and more often than not, several times over. Remember, though, not to be too specific in your searches; this can fail to produce results. Instead, try to think of one or two words that generalizes your query. For example, if your question is about music, type "music"; if it's about objectives, type "objective".

On the same note, you should also try the Downloads section search. Many people have submitted helpful articles, lists, and references there.

Finally, if you still can't figure it out, don't make a new thread about it right away. Post your question in this thread first! If you don't get an answer, then make a thread about it. However don't just put something like "OMFG question! please respond qucik!1!"; something like "Question: How do I make bridges?" is more acceptable. Make it something notable, related to the content of the query, so that, in the future, other new designers with the same problem will be able to locate it using the Search Function. And if you must make a question thread, one is enough.

To summarize: first, try to figure it out on your own using the tutorials in the Design Library, then, failing that, try searching the forums or downloads for an answer using the Search Function, then, finally, post your question in this thread. If all that fails, then you may make your own thread.

I think that about covers it. If I see too many more "question" threads, I will start arbitrarily closing them, answered or not.

Oh, and before you ask, K to enlarge units in the new editor, Shift+K to shrink them. That is all.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 03-08-2006 @ 11:26 PM).]

Replies:
posted 24 November 2005 03:40 PM EDT (US)     1 / 112  
Good, but I think there are a few more questions that should be posted where everyone can see them so they dont ask about them.
1-Modify stats/hp with Modify Protounit effect.
2-Make things heavy or researched using Set Tech Status effect.
3-All of a sudden, people seem to be asking how to make shops. There is a good guide to them at http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=13,21173,0,10

o_0

[This message has been edited by Xerxes 3902 (edited 11-24-2005 @ 03:46 PM).]

posted 24 November 2005 03:40 PM EDT (US)     2 / 112  
Nice Job!
posted 24 November 2005 03:50 PM EDT (US)     3 / 112  
This will be really helpful

posted 24 November 2005 04:27 PM EDT (US)     4 / 112  
I have a question: How do you make a RMS?

SANDRO THE WICKE
/\/}{The Broken One}{\/\
A Mind Shattered Upon Time As The Fragments Of Sharpened Stone Upon Darkened Void
{|What Is Wisdom Not But What We Make It To Be|}...
TTWDD|Current Sites|PSD
Shot 1 Shot 2 Shot 3|Best Eyecandy Shots|Shot 4 Shot 5 Shot 6
posted 24 November 2005 04:31 PM EDT (US)     5 / 112  

Quote:

I have a question: How do you make a RMS?

I don't know. But if you go into your Age of Mythology/docs folder, I believe ES included a RMS guide with the game. In fact, they also included an AI and basic editor guide. Anyway, if that guide is insufficient, check the Library; Matei submitted several articles on the subject.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 11-24-2005 @ 04:54 PM).]

posted 24 November 2005 08:29 PM EDT (US)     6 / 112  
Jared, it's only fair you make a hot guy mat.

posted 24 November 2005 09:16 PM EDT (US)     7 / 112  
What in the...? And here I though Echowinds was being helpful for no reason...anyhow this is unlikely that'll help me but thanks anyway

SANDRO THE WICKE
/\/}{The Broken One}{\/\
A Mind Shattered Upon Time As The Fragments Of Sharpened Stone Upon Darkened Void
TTWDD|Current Sites|PSD
posted 24 November 2005 09:28 PM EDT (US)     8 / 112  

Quote:

Jared, it's only fair you make a hot guy mat.

Fairness can suck my balls. This is no Doikie/FM OT thread.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com
posted 24 November 2005 10:03 PM EDT (US)     9 / 112  
Amen brother

~Dedicated Leader of~
Kalos Designs Studio
"A new epoch in Age of Mythology Design"

"He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has."

posted 24 November 2005 10:04 PM EDT (US)     10 / 112  

Quote:

Fairness can suck my balls. This is no Doikie/FM OT thread

Amen brother

~Dedicated Leader of~
Kalos Designs Studio
"A new epoch in Age of Mythology Design"

"He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has."

posted 25 November 2005 09:16 AM EDT (US)     11 / 112  
Jared can you unsticky kumars "no more autobiography's" thread?

That hype has long come to an end and we have waaaaaay to many stickys

Reinfire
--Retired Scenario Designer--
Everybody needs to beleive in something. I beleive I will have another beer
posted 25 November 2005 09:42 AM EDT (US)     12 / 112  
I was going to say something, but Echo has done it for me.
posted 25 November 2005 10:30 AM EDT (US)     13 / 112  
I have yet another question only this time its about uploading musci so anyway how could I upload music to this site?

SANDRO THE WICKE
/\/}{The Broken One}{\/\
TTWDD|Current Sites|PSD
posted 25 November 2005 01:40 PM EDT (US)     14 / 112  

Quote:

I have yet another question only this time its about uploading musci so anyway how could I upload music to this site?

If it's your own, uncopyrighted music, you can ZIP it up and submit it to the downloads as a "miscellaneous" file. If the music's copyrighted, however, HG won't accept it for legal reasons; you'll have to find your own webspace and accept the risk involved for that.

Quote:

I was going to say something, but Echo has done it for me.

I believe Echo was joking, but I don't know about you. Whatever the case may be, just get over it; I'm not making a man-mat, and I'm not taking that one down. It appeals to the status quo here at the site, and that's good enough. Don't blow something so trivial out of proportion just to satisfy your own idealistic political views.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com
posted 25 November 2005 02:53 PM EDT (US)     15 / 112  
*Lies on the welcome mat*

(¯`·.`.¸¸.°°.¸¸.`.·´¯)
(°¸.·`«Slick G»`·.¸°)
(¯`·.`.¸¸..¸¸.`.·´¯)
posted 25 November 2005 03:27 PM EDT (US)     16 / 112  
*de-clothes and then lies on the welcome mat, pushing slick off in the process*

Can we mae this a different colour or font? So it is noticable. Not many n00b/newbs seem to see the stickies.

i will only complicate you - trust in me and fall as well
posted 25 November 2005 06:02 PM EDT (US)     17 / 112  
Dear King, 'cause you helped me once, big way...

Quote:
Thanks for closing my thread. This Nidhogg is gonna go silent then. Silence and Forum shouldn't go together so well. No big deal, it's just a game. I'm working on a Mac. Can't extract anything from any AOM bar. I checked everywhere BEFORE asking this so noobish question to these " amazing brightest designers ". Some of them felt like answering, by the way... Sorry for disturbing, I needed help, which is what a FORUM is about. You won't have to close any of my thread from now on. There won't be any. Like my Nidhogg, I'm going....... silent.
One single request: don't ban me before I post this scenario I've been working on for... a few days. Just give me on more week.

posted 25 November 2005 06:46 PM EDT (US)     18 / 112  
Where is her thumb?

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.
posted 26 November 2005 08:48 AM EDT (US)     19 / 112  
Wouldnt you like to know

(¯`·.`.¸¸.°°.¸¸.`.·´¯)
(°¸.·`«Slick G»`·.¸°)
(¯`·.`.¸¸..¸¸.`.·´¯)
posted 26 November 2005 09:07 AM EDT (US)     20 / 112  
Oh boy I no longer think it's apropriate for that picture because of the thumb thing...

SANDRO THE WICKE
/\/}{The Broken One}{\/\
TTWDD|Current Sites|PSD
posted 26 November 2005 09:30 AM EDT (US)     21 / 112  
-_- Her thumb i in her pocket

MEPH
[Insert amazingly witty signature here.]

Me and Yeebaagooon's scenarios | Download The Corruptor
posted 26 November 2005 04:48 PM EDT (US)     22 / 112  
Good thread, though i don't know how well it will work...
posted 26 November 2005 04:55 PM EDT (US)     23 / 112  
I have a question: has anyone from LFS seen my screenshots yet? And can I join the third age project now?

SANDRO THE WICKE
/\/}{The Broken One}{\/\
TTWDD|Current Sites|PSD
posted 27 November 2005 09:42 AM EDT (US)     24 / 112  
Take it up at the LFS forums.
posted 27 November 2005 06:18 PM EDT (US)     25 / 112  

Quote:

Thanks for closing my thread. This Nidhogg is gonna go silent then. Silence and Forum shouldn't go together so well. No big deal, it's just a game. I'm working on a Mac. Can't extract anything from any AOM bar. I checked everywhere BEFORE asking this so noobish question to these " amazing brightest designers ". Some of them felt like answering, by the way... Sorry for disturbing, I needed help, which is what a FORUM is about. You won't have to close any of my thread from now on. There won't be any. Like my Nidhogg, I'm going....... silent.
One single request: don't ban me before I post this scenario I've been working on for... a few days. Just give me on more week.

Nice little diatribe, drama queen. The fact remains that, while you may have tried to figure it out on your own, which is commendable, you didn't bother posting your question in the thread dedicated to just that. I offer no apology and no sympathy. Whether you stay or go makes no difference to me; do what you wish. As for banning you, I have no reason to do so at the moment, unless you specifically request it of me.

In response to your question, type nidhoggflame1.wav or nidhoggflame2.wav into the filename field of the Sound Filename effect.

Quote:

Good thread, though i don't know how well it will work...

I'll either force the community to adhere to it or drive them all away.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 11-27-2005 @ 06:47 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Forum Newcomer? Look Here!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames