Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Guide to narrow streets
posted 02 March 2006 03:45 PM EDT (US)   
Introduction:

I felt like creating this guide since it can add a cool and realistic effect in city cinematic scenes. It will explain you how to create a two-leveled (or 3,4,5,6 if you want) housing effect. Not the most difficult thing, but more for starters.

Guide:

You start of with an empty space in your scenario, and get rid of all elevations.

after that, create three lines of elevations to form a street between it, don't forget there will come housing in it so the street will be a little more narrow then when it looks with just the elevations.

put some housing in the surrounding area and move them in the "valley" between the two paralel elavations. Make sure the roof hits the ground behind it as good as possible without lifting the house from the ground. This is also the point in which you can check if the elevations are far enough away from each other and make sure the elevations aren't higher than the roof tops.
You can also summon a little more of a street by using the "cinematics scorch" object.

Now put another row of houses on top of the elevation, touching the lower housing. So it seems like it is one building. It may be handy to use only one type of houses for this.
Also make sure you place the houses first somehere else, and then manually move them on top of the elavation.

It is nice to add windows for the upper housing. Herefor you have to put the same type of housing on it, "through" the other houses, with the window side just outside the walls of the houses. (I couldn't get a real got shot of this one)

Do the same at the other side and finish off the corners a little

And the same again at the left over side, I think it's nice to have this street a little less narrow to make it more of a "main street"

and there you go!

You can also add a third, fourth, fifth, sixth, etc. elevation if you want to, it uses the same idea.

I hope it was of some use!

Here is another way to use this techique, I will only put the photos there, they speak for themselves.

Here is some Eyecandy of it:
Regards,
-Nerbod

This is what hatred looks like, this is what it does when it catches hold of you, it's eating me alive and very soon now it will kill me.

Very Proud member of Kalos Design Studios

[This message has been edited by Nerbod (edited 03-03-2006 @ 03:21 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02 March 2006 08:12 PM EDT (US)     1 / 21  
Not everybody has downloaded the mod for city streets. Perhaps you should provide a like. Otherwise, good guide.

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.
posted 02 March 2006 08:25 PM EDT (US)     2 / 21  
what mod? he's using normal houses.

nice guide, I guess... sorta obvious though if you know how to use position objects

I lurk in the darkness... Waiting for prey to come by...
posted 02 March 2006 08:42 PM EDT (US)     3 / 21  

Quote:

mod for city streets

posted 02 March 2006 09:55 PM EDT (US)     4 / 21  
Yeah, but either way, you can just use something else, can't you? Anyway, it's a good guide for people who are always wondering how people get that effect (Me not being one of them)
posted 02 March 2006 10:20 PM EDT (US)     5 / 21  

Quote:

Yeah, but either way, you can just use something else, can't you?

Yeah, but if I didn't say anything, than a thousand people would ask what that object is, so settle down.

Quote:

sorta obvious though if you know how to use position objects

Nice positive feedback.

posted 03 March 2006 01:30 AM EDT (US)     6 / 21  
like I said:

Quote:

Not the most difficult thing, but more for starters.

This is what hatred looks like, this is what it does when it catches hold of you, it's eating me alive and very soon now it will kill me.

posted 03 March 2006 03:41 AM EDT (US)     7 / 21  
hey Nerbod, a good guide for beginners.
According to the guide, the terrain rise technique is called a spike and it can be elongated to use as in this case to make a row of buildings.
Perhaps, one needs to mix houses of different civs and different ages to get a visual variation for the city street houses, and I've always liked using attie manors for their windows that project a bit and can be "meshed" in other buildings.

again a good guide

regards

the Elder
"imagination is more important than knowledge."
Albert Einstein
posted 03 March 2006 10:46 AM EDT (US)     8 / 21  
I'll put it on the KDS site.

MEPH
[Insert amazingly witty signature here.]

Me and Yeebaagooon's scenarios | Download The Corruptor
posted 03 March 2006 11:18 AM EDT (US)     9 / 21  
thanks, and please do so, titan

posted 03 March 2006 11:22 AM EDT (US)     10 / 21  
Pretty nice guide!

Quote:

mod for city streets

What's that?

Sweet baby maizes!
posted 03 March 2006 11:34 AM EDT (US)     11 / 21  
I think the idea here is good, narrow streets are something a lot of cinematics and scenarios lack in realism factors. I like the way the top of your appartments look as if they are one with the lower level. However, I don't think the guide itself is particularly well organised. Perhaps adding clealry defined steps to go through and sub0headings would have been a good idea. Also, can units actually move down these streets? You've failed to highlight what use the narrow street is, and it is often the case that units cannot fit between buildings as close as yours. Also, it would have been nice to include a detailed final example with eyecandy, etc, as if you are trying to create a realistic effect, getting the houses right is only half the job.

In all, a fairly good attempt at a guide, definately worthwhile - although it does justifiy a few amendments. Keep up the good work. To give you a figure, I would rate this guide 6.5/10.

the fate of Rome lies in your hands
---------------------------
S . P . Q . R
comming soon
posted 03 March 2006 01:06 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21  
The guide itself is good, I just don't think you should constantly use the same Greek house. Mix it up with different types of buildings, put a few walls or fences in and then it should look a bit more chaotic (unless you were going for the clean type of city).
posted 03 March 2006 03:21 PM EDT (US)     13 / 21  
I added some more uses of this technique, plus some eyecandy.

posted 03 March 2006 06:14 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21  
Some nice additions, i like the first and third eyecandy shots. Good work.

the fate of Rome lies in your hands
S . P . Q . R
comming soon
posted 03 March 2006 06:33 PM EDT (US)     15 / 21  
Yes, very nice shots. Of course, if I may make a suggestion, next time maybe take the screenies while in cinematic mode so you dont see all those annoying things like scores, timers, and minimap. I still think they're good, but some people would regard it as unprofessional.

posted 03 March 2006 07:02 PM EDT (US)     16 / 21  
Nice screenshots and guide

posted 03 March 2006 08:51 PM EDT (US)     17 / 21  
hmm, this only urges me to create more guides, if only I were a teacher in the dark arts of eyecandy again...

SANDRO THE WICKE
/\/}{The Broken One}{\/\
A Mind Shattered Upon Time As The Fragments Of Sharpened Stone Upon Darkened Void
{|What Is Wisdom Not But What We Make It To Be|}...
TTWDD|Current Sites|PSD
Shot 1 Shot 2 Shot 3|Best Eyecandy Shots|Shot 4 Shot 5 Shot 6
posted 05 March 2006 06:07 AM EDT (US)     18 / 21  
thanks...

posted 05 March 2006 06:36 AM EDT (US)     19 / 21  
Im terrible at eyecandy but good with triggers.

The boy with the mad imagination
Prepare for the ultimate duel!
Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
Find out and download the transform trigger here.
Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
posted 05 March 2006 08:40 AM EDT (US)     20 / 21  

Quote:

Im terrible at eyecandy but good with triggers.

Its the other way around for me.

posted 05 March 2006 03:46 PM EDT (US)     21 / 21  
Nice guide! However, I only wouldn't expect houses to be so nicely placed next to each other and in a perfect oval...A city isn't planned out completely in the beginning, but (especially in cities in the AoM time period) is gradually built on the existing city...

(\__/) Bunny want YOU to put him in your sig...
( o.o )
( > < )
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Guide to narrow streets
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames