You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: NEW special effects without modding!
posted 17 June 2006 01:38 AM EDT (US)   
Messing around with army change type on loop.. I accidentally found something!

1. First, make a map, and place a minotaur.
2. Place some revealers around the minotaur
3. Make the minotaur an army
4. Turn victory conditions OFF
5. Go into triggers, and make the following trigger:

Active, Loop, Run Immediately
Conditions: Always
Effects: Army Change type
Army: (your minotaur army) Protounit: Minotaur

Playtest the scenario, and we get this effect (give it a moment):

This is the minotaur continuously changing to a minotaur, giving off this strange special effect for forever, or, with triggering, as long as you want!

This will work for any unit that, when in a change type loop, gives off a special effect repeatedly!

Soon, I will be posting a scenario containing many of these units, and buttons so you can easily view their effects!

While in this looping state, the unit becomes unusable to the player. It cannot be moved, but it can be attacked, or manipulated using god powers (as shown later). If the unit is killed while in this stage, it does this:

The unit becomes unselectable, and unattackable. Its dead, and the game thinks it doesnt exist, as god powers/buildings can be placed over it (without it being removed). It remains there, making a continuous "dying" noise. Yes, both the units body and carcass on the ground remain. The carcass can be hidden by stumps, automaton bases, or other objects.

Strangely enough, I have only found one god power that can effect it in this state, which is implode.

As you can see, the carcass graphic seems to get smudged over the ground as the unit spins into the vortex. The sound goes, and so does the unit. The carcass does not last.

----

While in the looping state, the unit can be affected by:

Traitor: Converts the unit to whoever invoked the traitor on it. Removes the effect, unit is completely usable!

Implode: Spins into the implode with the effect still working! Very cool effect, and does not stop the previous effect!

Vortex: The only way to move it is by using vortex, and it will retain its effect. Sometimes the vortex effect stays on it permanently, until the minotaur is killed.

Chaos: Although this changes it to gaia, the effect is not removed.

Spy: You can spy them, the effect stays.

Restoration: They can be healed using restoration, with no changes to the effect.

Bolt: This kills the unit, just like killing it normally.

The unit can be attacked and killed in the effect looping state!

And cannot be affected by:

Shockwave: You can use it, but it won't knock the unit away

Implode's end shockwave: same with shockwave

Minotaur's special: Won't be knocked away

Frost: Frost can be invoked onto the unit, but to no effect. It is already theoretically frozen, but the extra armour increase does not apply.

Although it can be selected, it cannot be moved, including into underground passages directly next to it. It also cannot attack, and is therefore in a frost-like state.

Any unit in this state can be taken out of it by a "disable trigger" effect, meaning you can use this as a temporary unit stopper, or whatever else you desire!

Uses:

The loop itself does not lag at all for me, unless the earthquake god power is used on it.

This trick could be used to create special effects, or even a unit granter in an RPG.
How?
Use the effect on the units you want somebody to choose from. Then, when they reach that point, they can receive a "traitor" god power, which they can then use on a unit, "grabbing" it.

Maybe you could use the "dead" minotaurs to make some sort of grunting minotaur cult..

Using the spy power on it could be used as some sort of intelligence stealing.. or something..

When this trick is applied to a promethean, he appears to cower in a ball. (Do not let him die, as the game will lag immensely due to many sudden objects appearing)

If used on a caladria, she also appears to be cowering in a ball:

By putting a slightly enlarged fortress underneath, it can appear like she is sitting on it in game, without any animation. Maybe somebody would like to help the crying caladria? After helping her, the caladria could help the heroes on their overall quest using the disable trigger.
*Note: If the caladria dies while in loop, she will appear to "stand" in the air (or on the fortress), and she will constantly cry. Once this happens, she cannot be taken out of this state.

How about flying statues? If you bolt (or kill) the protounit "Kronny flying" while in loop, it will turn into an airborne caladria statue! It makes no noise, and will remain permanently!

An invicible phoenix egg with unlimited rebirth's!

A jamming mirror tower - even makes its own sound effect!
-----------------------------------------------

UPDATE!!
-----------------------------------------------

It works with death special effects!!

For example.

Repeat the process, but instead of a minotaur, do it with a lampades. The lampades wont make any cool effect happen at the start, but try KILLING her! Her death effect and death noise are both looped, giving this effect:

Very fun.. Also, try it with the protounit: exploding chicken

This one is extra fun, as the chicken, ready to explode, will FLASH brown and white until destroyed, where it will then produce a fountain of purple liquid!

And how about this..
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/466/ha5nq.png

Its villagers hunting an animal, while the animal STANDS. it looks completely alive, yet they hunt it, and whats more.. It never ever runs out of food. Its.. some magical animal =P

----------------------------------------------

Enjoy! Post comments, maybe we can find more stuff to do with this!

----------------------------------------------------

You can now download a tester!!

http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=5347

[This message has been edited by AdZyZ (edited 06-22-2006 @ 10:07 PM).]

Replies:
posted 17 June 2006 01:43 AM EDT (US)     1 / 16  
Thats awsome, I'm gonna go try that implode thing right now, very nice find.
posted 17 June 2006 01:55 AM EDT (US)     2 / 16  
Nice find, AdZyZ.

Quote:

Bolt: This kills the unit, just like killing it normally.

Will the unit become unselectable when killed by Bolt?

Sweet baby maizes!
posted 17 June 2006 02:01 AM EDT (US)     3 / 16  
Man, that was sweet!
posted 17 June 2006 02:20 AM EDT (US)     4 / 16  
Yes, when the unit is killed by a bolt, it becomes unselectable, and theoretically dead.

It gives the illusion that the bolt has turned the pulsating light into a unit!

[This message has been edited by AdZyZ (edited 06-17-2006 @ 02:23 AM).]

posted 18 June 2006 12:57 PM EDT (US)     5 / 16  
wow... i have a good idea, get anubites and they would constantly have their arms crossed ith the sickles, good for statues in Necropilises etc.

░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░
░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░
░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░
posted 18 June 2006 04:36 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16  
Wow, somehting I havn't come across yet!

The boy with the mad imagination
Prepare for the ultimate duel!
Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
Find out and download the transform trigger here.
Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
posted 19 June 2006 02:13 AM EDT (US)     7 / 16  
nice find

I allready used this in my "Ilum`s Mythodea" scenario, it can also be a pain those specialsm:P however nice you found out yourself and I never tought about how you wanna use it!

Desinger of Kalos Design Studios

Creator of: Ilums Mythodea.
Currently working on: Generals of Osiris (MP-RPG)54%
posted 19 June 2006 05:34 AM EDT (US)     8 / 16  
Yeh, it has a very wide range of uses that simpley could not be explored without the effect. Ive uploaded a scenario that demonstrates many of the effects, with the player having full control. Its currently in the stage between submission and when it actually gets posted on the website.

Im happy to send it to anybody who wants it now, otherwise just wait for it to come up in the downloads =) (I'll edit this thread with the download link when its up)

posted 19 June 2006 06:16 PM EDT (US)     9 / 16  
Cool.

So let me know if I understands this:
The unit repeats its birth animation so it remains "frozen" in the first frame of the animation?

posted 19 June 2006 08:18 PM EDT (US)     10 / 16  
Its strange.. I believe the actual does get frozen in the first frame of animation, but the effect of its creation/death just repeats until stopped.
posted 19 June 2006 08:48 PM EDT (US)     11 / 16  
Nice find .
posted 20 June 2006 10:49 AM EDT (US)     12 / 16  
Interesting idea!

This is good! Would you like to join Kalos Designs? (link in sig)

MEPH
[Insert amazingly witty signature here.]

Me and Yeebaagooon's scenarios | Download The Corruptor
posted 20 June 2006 11:15 AM EDT (US)     13 / 16  
Please don't blatantly advertise like that, Titan. Thanks.
posted 20 June 2006 02:15 PM EDT (US)     14 / 16  
@Film

I don't think he was blatantly advertising. He simply congratulated AdZyZ and then asked if he would like to join a design team. The request was short and impartial.

If

Quote:

Would you like to join Kalos Designs? (link in sig)

is "blantant advertising" it would be hard for anyone to organize design teams, which would be quite the loss for this online community.

posted 21 June 2006 05:17 AM EDT (US)     15 / 16  
Update! You can now download this scenario file to easily test these effects:

http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=5347

Screenshot:

Oh and titan602:

I haven't made any actual scenarios as of yet, but if the offers still available, I'd love to join.

=P I usually make scenarios 90% through then get a new idea, and forget about the other one..

[This message has been edited by AdZyZ (edited 06-21-2006 @ 05:25 AM).]

posted 21 June 2006 05:19 AM EDT (US)     16 / 16  
omg that's awesome, i'll check it out now.

(¯`·._.·[DEATHMAN RTS NL]·._.·´¯)

check out the demo of Ghost ahoy 4.4
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » NEW special effects without modding!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames