Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoMH Pretty Town Competition, 2006
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 15  Next Page »
posted 30 July 2006 11:07 PM EDT (US)   

AoMH Pretty Town Competition, 2006

Official Contest Thread

Yes, yes. After much talk and tears, it's finally time for another competition. What sort of competition, you ask? Why, a Pretty Town competition, of course. Has you read the title of the thread, you'd probably know that.

Anyway, there's really not a lot else to say.... it's basically the same as the PTCs we've held in the past with a handful of minor modifications. For more information on those contests, feel free to click m'ya and m'ya. But enough blather -- onto more important things.

Overview & Rules

As mentioned, the contest hasn't changed much. You, the designer, must create a map containing a town. Big, small, whatever; as long as it's a collection of buildings that could qualify as a town, we, the judges, are happy. Simple, right?

Well, not exactly. See, one key stipulation of the contest is that the town must be pretty. As in appealing to the eyes. What's more, we don't want to just be handed a boring old collection of buildings. Thus, we require that you guide us through your town, highlighting key areas and the like -- a tour, in other words.

But perhaps a little more explanation is in order. Now, this tour can be conducted one of two ways; either a scout unit is provided to us, the judges, to explore the town according to triggerized, message-based instructions, or a cinematic is played at the beginning of the scenario highlighting areas of interest. Either method is acceptable, and, as roughly the same amount of work is involved in each, both methods are considered equally good in the eyes of the judges.

So that's the method to be applied to this madness. To recap, you must create a map containing the most ridiculously pretty and fantastic town you can, with either a trigger- or cinematic-based tour to showcase points of interest to the judges. Savvy? Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Rules:

1. The map must contain a town of some sort. Small, medium, large, whatever; it must be a collection of buildings laid out in some coherent fashion.

2. All accessible areas in maps must be complete and coherent. Points will be deducted for any poorly-designed areas that may be visible to judges.

3. All entrants must make a scout unit available for judges to tour the map.

4. All entrants must create a tour to "guide" judges through their map using either triggers or a cinematic. Designers have the choice of which method to use -- both methods will be judged equally. Maps will be judged primarily on what is shown, so plan carefully.

5. Cinematic entrants: The tour cinematic must end with the map and UI visible and accessible so that judges may explore the map at their leisure. The cinematic may not exceed 15 minutes.

6. Music and/or sound effects will be optional. Inclusion of music and/or sound effects will not affect judgement.

7. Simple AI scripts are allowed. Inclusion of simple AI scripts will not affect judgement.

8. Modpacks, aside from the use of reyk's New Editor, are not allowed.

9. Map size must not exceed 500 x 500.

10. Designers may only enter one map. Multiple submissions are allowed (ie. should a designer decide to make changes to a submitted map), but only one such submission will be judged.

11. Only maps created after the competition opens will be accepted.

Prizes

Standard Prizes:

• 1st Place - Custom title, making of AoM DVD, AoM soundtrack, choice of HG cap or tee-shirt.

• 2nd Place - Custom title, AoM soundtrack, choice of HG cap or tee-shirt.

• 3rd Place - Custom title, choice of HG cap or tee-shirt.

Special Prizes:

• Categories and prizes to be announced.

Judgement Criteria & Judges

Judgement Criteria:

• Aesthetics: This category essentially takes into account just how pretty the town is. Judgement will be based on whether the map is pleasing to the eye, or plain and unappealing.

• Map Design: This category is more focused on the terrain and elevation aspects of the map. Judgement will be based on the quality of terrain mixing and transitions, and the general use of elevation to enhance the map.

• Town Appeal: This category examines the town itself. Judgement will be based on the layout of the buildings and units of the town and how well it all fits in with the surrounding terrain and eye candy.

• The Tour: This category focuses on the tour aspect of the scenario -- the part where entrants guide the judges through their town. Judgement will be based on the quality of the triggers used (ie. if there were bugs or not) and the tour itself.

• Originality: This category looks at the overall originality and creativity of the map. Judgement will be based on how innovative and original aspects of the map are in general.

Judges:

Sith, King Jared, and Papaya.

Other Information

Almost done now. Just a few more things to take care of. First, entries for both AoM and AoM:TT will be accepted -- really makes no difference for something like this. Second, the contest duration....

Duration: August 1, 2006 - October 1, 2006.

A month should be more than enough. Two months should definitely be more than enough. Third, you must include your HG username with your entry. And please specify which tour method you used; trigger or cinematic. As for who to send your entry to, please bundle all appropriate files into a ZIP archive and email it to any one of the judges -- just make sure to include "AoMH Pretty Town Entry" in the subject line of the message.

That should be all the information you need for now. As mentioned, feel free to ask any questions or post comments in this thread.

M'kay? The contest has started. Get to it.

Contest Over!

Well, the contest deadline has come and gone. The following 16 forumers have stepped up to the challenge and entered:

• Archaeopterix
  • Auron
  • Cherub Alex
  • darkdude
  • dwieeb
  • GoI
  • I Love Bananas
  • Iceacool
  • Kyle_De_Konquer_
  • Prometheus4
  • Sandro the Wicke
  • shadeslayer
  • sorry name taken
  • The Vandhaal
  • Titan602
  • Urgwaine

We, the judges, thank each of you for your participation. Best of luck to all.

Judgement of the recieved entries has begun. The format will involve a rating of each map from 1 to 5 in each section of the criteria listed above, followed by an analysis and discussion of the results until a consensus on the winners is reached. We hope to have the process finished and the results released on November 1st. Please be patient until then.

We thank you again for your participation, and may the best town win!

Your Divine Overlord
    KING JARED
    Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
    big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 10-09-2006 @ 09:12 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 31 July 2006 02:47 AM EDT (US)     1 / 367  
    first reply

sounds good I havnt been on in a while because ive been on vacation, but this sounds cool , ill probably try entering, although ill probably lose...

*scampers off*

Completed Projects
    Fortress Terror (V.1,V.2, and V.3)
    Archer Wars Lava
    Cat And Mouse Mazes - And Several Cat And Mice Maps
    Killing Spree
    Zelda Cliffs, and a lot more others

[This message has been edited by dragonmoon4 (edited 07-31-2006 @ 02:51 AM).]

posted 31 July 2006 03:37 AM EDT (US)     2 / 367  
    Oh no! I'm going on holiday for 2 weeks! Is it alright if mine is late?

MEPH
    [Insert amazingly witty signature here.]

Me and Yeebaagooon's scenarios | Download The Corruptor
    posted 31 July 2006 04:36 AM EDT (US)     3 / 367  
    You'll still have two weeks to make an entry after you come back from your holiday.

I might enter this...since I know that Arch isn't going to come and kick my ass...

posted 31 July 2006 06:35 AM EDT (US)     4 / 367  
    yay!

I'm gonna enter. And try really really hard :P

-[Hello..
    posted 31 July 2006 07:41 AM EDT (US)     5 / 367  
    Yay! I will only miss the first few days of it
    You shall ph34r the town of industry! Or whatever I decide to create...

Something something a quarter of a century old.
    posted 31 July 2006 11:50 AM EDT (US)     6 / 367  
    Woo! A natural competition

i will only complicate you - trust in me and fall as well
    posted 31 July 2006 01:42 PM EDT (US)     7 / 367  
    Boogers, I have to wait 10 hours, 18 minutes, 12 seconds before I can begin.

Oh, well, I'll go practice.

The mind knows only what lies near the heart. The Poetic Eddas

So long, Paperfriend, and thanks for all the fish.

posted 31 July 2006 04:12 PM EDT (US)     8 / 367  
    Gaurdian, eazy, rider, byz, felix...archer! oscar...and grande4...and all eyecandy freaks out there that i forgot..you guys better submitt something! Some tough competition wouldnt hurt at all! good luck! thankgod i'm on vacation!

regards
    Auron

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||
    posted 31 July 2006 06:18 PM EDT (US)     9 / 367  
    snds interesting. i might enter this, but thats a fat chance.

I have made a promise to the forums. If I break it, it's my own fault.
    posted 01 August 2006 02:42 AM EDT (US)     10 / 367  
    finaly it's started! ...but i'm still not sure what to make...
    posted 01 August 2006 04:14 AM EDT (US)     11 / 367  
    I bet I could finish my map by wednesday! Wan'na bet?

MEPH

posted 01 August 2006 10:46 AM EDT (US)     12 / 367  
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! sry...... it just took me a month to practise making a pretty town in case there was another competition. so im not entering for sure.

I have made a promise to the forums. If I break it, it's my own fault.
    posted 01 August 2006 11:38 AM EDT (US)     13 / 367  
    "Yes, yes. After much talk and tears, it's finally time for another competition. What sort of competition, you ask? Why, a Pretty Town competition, of course. Has you read the title of the thread, you'd probably know that."

Yes, we are idiots, aren't we?

Finally, i can make my master proud!

5 hours left...

'~SwordStorm's Accomplishments~'
    '~The Vandhaal's Monkey Boy[?]~'
    '~Owner of Papaya's 3,333rd Post~'
    '~Owner of 666 post in Communitity RPG~'
    '~Owner of 99,999 post in Scenario Discussion~'
    '~Owner of Three Signatures in PF's Signature~'
    posted 01 August 2006 01:28 PM EDT (US)     14 / 367  
    I would love to enter this Jared. But I come back from vacation on August 22nd. That only leaves me 8 days to make the scenario.

Can't you make the deadline like October 1st? Come on!

Oh, does the tour neccessarily have to be a cinematic? (I gather the answer is no, but just want confirmation).

posted 01 August 2006 01:31 PM EDT (US)     15 / 367  
    Hey, you come back on my sis's birthday. Bring her something nice, ok?

So... can we start designing?

'~SwordStorm's Accomplishments~'
    '~The Vandhaal's Monkey Boy[?]~'
    '~Owner of Papaya's 3,333rd Post~'
    '~Owner of 666 post in Communitity RPG~'
    '~Owner of 99,999 post in Scenario Discussion~'
    '~Owner of Three Signatures in PF's Signature~'
    posted 01 August 2006 01:55 PM EDT (US)     16 / 367  
    I would be extremely happy to have even just 8 days. One's perfectly capable to design a perfect town in such a period. But this deadline is really harsh - although I fully understand that you can never meet all possible participants' requirements. One week more and I'd be able to enter.

Come on, it's the summer hols!

[This message has been edited by Archaeopterix (edited 08-01-2006 @ 01:59 PM).]

posted 01 August 2006 05:37 PM EDT (US)     17 / 367  
    Ah, what the heck. I'm in.

• Me = Guardian of Isis/The God of Gods.
  • All my projects are Kronos' Revenge (DL), Dark City (DL), Legends of the Third Age (FotR) | (TTT: 99%) | (RotK: On hold).
  • Check my Site and Guestbook.

MEMBER OF LIQUID FIRE STUDIOS
  • posted 01 August 2006 07:31 PM EDT (US)     18 / 367  
    Hey King Jared, would it be okay if we started the scenario a several hours before actual forum time, since I have a somewhat noticeable time difference here, I really didn't know; I meant to even less..

SANDRO THE WICKE
    /\/}{The Broken One}{\/\
    A Mind Shattered Upon Time As The Fragments Of Sharpened Stone Upon Darkened Void
    {|What Is Wisdom Not But What We Make It To Be|}...
    TTWDD|Current Sites|PSD
    Shot 1 Shot 2 Shot 3|Best Eyecandy Shots|Shot 4 Shot 5 Shot 6
    posted 02 August 2006 01:45 AM EDT (US)     19 / 367  
    Yeah, go 'head. Whatever.

Anyway, yeah.... the contest started, like, yesterday, so anyone can feel free to start working on their entries. An' shit.

Your Divine Overlord
    KING JARED
    Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
    big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 08-02-2006 @ 01:45 AM).]

posted 02 August 2006 04:11 AM EDT (US)     20 / 367  
    No signup, just sending in the map when we're done?

Sweet baby maizes!
    posted 02 August 2006 06:08 AM EDT (US)     21 / 367  
    I finished the map now! And who will you be playing in it? Why its king Jared ofcorse! KJ, is it alright if you're a flantic?

MEPH

posted 02 August 2006 06:20 AM EDT (US)     22 / 367  
    You've got to extend the deadline by a few weeks so me and Arch can enter, KJ. And like half of LFS too:P
    posted 02 August 2006 07:52 AM EDT (US)     23 / 367  
    Citrus Caesar is on the case (will enter! =P)

Maid, I don't think that will be necessary.
    posted 02 August 2006 11:32 AM EDT (US)     24 / 367  
    Time to make a painfully bad map, so when the judges look at it their eyes will bleed and i will win, because they cant see any other entries!
    In other words, im in
    posted 02 August 2006 01:06 PM EDT (US)     25 / 367  
    I'm starting a map.

And, I think the date is perfect. If the date was extended it wouldn't really be as much of a competition and a challenge to complete the map in the given time.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 15  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » AoMH Pretty Town Competition, 2006
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames