You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to do extreme POSITIVE and extreme NEGETIVE elevation! (REWRITTEN)
posted 08 May 2007 01:41 PM EDT (US)   

POSITIVE and NEGETIVE extreme elevation full step by step guide with screenshots - By Nottud

Here are 2 guides to how to make positive and negetive extreme elevation. These will lead you step by step how to make extreme elevation so that most of the simplist designers can do it! However, it requires Reyk's new editor 3 for TT to be able to load saved games in the editor! Also, when addind extreme elvation, turn victory conditions OFF and save a backup copy of your triggers so they don't interfere. (Use the copy triggers and clear triggers buttons) After you have made the extreme elevation you can always paste them back on again.

Notes on extreme elevation are included at the end of the 2 guides.

POSITIVE Elevation guide

Start by placing a gaia revealer on the map and loop invoking tremor on it.

Now playtest the map and hit the F8 key to quicksave it. Go back to the editor and load the saved game in the editor. Now place anubites on the revealer to create a spike.

Now open your watertypes and click the "paint area" box. Now select your watertype - the shallower the better and click the top of the spike. This will create a pool of water ontop of the spike.

Next create another pool of water to the side of the one on the hill top.

Next, increase the size of your brush so it covers the area of both pools and click to smoothen the hill and make the pools shallower.

Keep clicking until all the water in the pools have drained away and you are left with a nice smooth hill.

Finally beautify it with objects and terrain. See additional notes at the end of the other guide for hints tips and facts on placing objects, using forest tool, etc.

NEGETIVE Elevation guide

Start by placing a gaia revealer on the map and loop invoking tremor on it.

Now playtest the map and hit the F8 key to quicksave it. Go back to the editor and load the saved game in the editor. Now place anubites on the revealer to create a spike.

Now, when you have the spike, move your camera so you can clerly see the bottom of the spike - either from above or from the side. Now open your watertypes and click the "paint area" box. Now select your watertype - the shallower the better and click the lowest point on the spike.

This should create a canyon and if your lucky and have chosen a good watertype to use there will be little/no water in the canyon!

Like the extreme positive elevatiob guide, create a pool to the side of the canyon and increase the size of the brush so it covers both pools and click to smooth. Experiment with the water tool to create the shape you want but follow these rules:

(1)If your brush will cover 2 pools of water at different heights it will smoothen the elevation in the area you clicked and NOT paint water.

(2)If you use your brush so it covers 1 pool, it will extend the area of your pool to where you clicked.

(3)If you click a new location where there is no pool it will create a new one.

Remember that if you repeatively click where your brush covers 2 pools of water it will drain all the water away.

When you are happy with yout elevation, we need to make the cliff stuff on the side of the map normal. (notice of the screenshot that the cliff stuff in areas is missing and in others it is where it shouldnt be! (There is a bit on the screenshot at the back that looks like a piece of rock is sticking up out of the ground!) Simply solve this problem by playtesting and returning to the editor again.

Finally, decorate and add eyecandy to your landscape and make it look realistic!

Notes, hints tips and facts that are useful to know!

Here are a list of useful facts that are worth knowing:
(1)You can't change the extreme elevation that you have created unless you use the water tool as I have shown you. If you try it will "jump" back into its normal limits.
(2)The forest tool may not work properly in some areas - this is due to the water preventing it working proeprly (The water is still there according to the game but it classes it as walkable)
(3)Don't place objects that can change elevation when placed on extreme elevation - e.g. buildings. It will cause the extreme elevation to "jump" back to normal limits. Place them on normal elevation and drag them up.
(4)Hekas when using their special ability will destroy and make elvation return to normal on extreme elevation so be careful!
(5)Falling objects (e.g. guy knocked by a minotaur) and projectiles will delete if they fall to a height of -10 metres or below! However you can walk and do most other things and it doesn't delete. This is useful for platform jumping games - e.g. the Eternity game in which Yeebaagooon has used this -10 delete trick to delete units that fall into the void.
(6)Building buildings during a game will also reset the elevation back to normal height so avoid this if at all possible!
(7)The undo button will NOT work when editting extreme elevation so SAVE often until you have finished the elevation!
(8)For random map scripters and designers, extreme elevation can also be generated by random maps because they ignore terrain height editting limits. There are templates knocking around which you can download for use. Just load them in the editor, resize map to what you want (Does not affect elevation as long as you have not playetested the map yet) and edit that for your scenario.

I hope this has cleared up any problems and queries you have about extreme elevation so there is now no excuse for you people not being able to make some and use it on your map.

The boy with the mad imagination
Prepare for the ultimate duel!
Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
Find out and download the transform trigger here.
Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.

[This message has been edited by nottud (edited 05-08-2007 @ 01:43 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08 May 2007 01:45 PM EDT (US)     1 / 24  
Good boy! Way better!

MEPH
[Insert amazingly witty signature here.]

Me and Yeebaagooon's scenarios | Download The Corruptor
posted 08 May 2007 01:50 PM EDT (US)     2 / 24  
that -10 limit might also be usefull if you're doing a Moria map or something!

Hmmmm... I cannot figure out when im gonna use it but this is how i will do it...

Please note that while you are reading this text you should have thought about the fact that the end of the world is going on outside.

Homepage

posted 08 May 2007 04:10 PM EDT (US)     3 / 24  
How about bottomless pits of demise. Ooooh! I like that! nottud, make a pit of doom with a bottomless pit instead of a lava pit

MEPH

posted 09 May 2007 09:48 AM EDT (US)     4 / 24  
Hmmmm "Lava Pool" can be walked upon so you can make a deadly lava pool by units walking into it...

(Isn't it right that units which goes below the allowed terrain level dissapear, i heard it somewhere?)

Please note that while you are reading this text you should have thought about the fact that the end of the world is going on outside.

Homepage

posted 09 May 2007 10:36 AM EDT (US)     5 / 24  
No, it's only if you go ABOVe the MAXIMUM level.

MEPH

posted 09 May 2007 11:31 AM EDT (US)     6 / 24  
Hmmmm "Lava Pool" can be walked upon so you can make a deadly lava pool by units walking into it...

(Isn't it right that units which goes below the allowed terrain level dissapear, i heard it somewhere?)

It is if they fall below the height. You can walk there happily.

[This message has been edited by nottud (edited 05-09-2007 @ 02:53 PM).]

posted 09 May 2007 02:51 PM EDT (US)     7 / 24  
Alrigt

Well... where was it i saw that thingy? :S

Homepage

posted 09 May 2007 05:05 PM EDT (US)     8 / 24  
Very nice remix, adding it to the site now!

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.
posted 09 May 2007 05:23 PM EDT (US)     9 / 24  
ooooh, thankyou!

posted 09 May 2007 06:10 PM EDT (US)     10 / 24  
http://aom.heavengames.com/scendesign/advanced/extreme_elev

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.
posted 13 May 2007 07:18 AM EDT (US)     11 / 24  
Wow that eye candy is awesome
Good job nottud!
posted 13 May 2007 07:29 AM EDT (US)     12 / 24  
Er... yeah... good...

MEPH

posted 13 May 2007 06:51 PM EDT (US)     13 / 24  
doesn't work.
posted 14 May 2007 00:10 AM EDT (US)     14 / 24  
when i place my anubite on the revealer it doesn't create a spike and what does tremor do to a regualr unit.

bottom line:

how do i add in the spike thing.
posted 14 May 2007 00:21 AM EDT (US)     15 / 24  
First place a revealer anywhere on the map.
Then create a trigger, run immediatly loop, always, invoke god power player 0 tremor, and put the area on the tremor.
Play the map, then save the game.
Then go into the editor, and load the save.
then place anubites on the revealer, the power will be cast, creating a huge spike.
Then use paint water, and make sure the Area box is checked.

(_̅_̅(̲̲̲̲̲̅̅̅̅̅̅(̅_̅_̲̅marij̲u̲̅an̲̅a̲̅̅_̅_̅_̅()
(is not as helluva drug as pepe)
posted 14 May 2007 02:22 AM EDT (US)     16 / 24  
This is great nottud.

By the way, I was riding the train today, and I noticed that the word "button" reflected spells "nottud"

=]

-[Hello..
posted 14 May 2007 10:50 AM EDT (US)     17 / 24  
That's where nottuds name came from It's button backwards. nottud | dutton Oh, wait... that's not right...

MEPH

posted 14 May 2007 12:09 PM EDT (US)     18 / 24  
it button if you flip d round.

posted 14 May 2007 01:14 PM EDT (US)     19 / 24  
We'll just invent our own language and say that dutton means zupa-discovery button or something crazy like that.

Wierd name anyway... Nottud... Hmmmmmm....

Homepage

posted 14 May 2007 02:04 PM EDT (US)     20 / 24  
thanks freaky2

nottud's just short for "No Turd."

wow this is crazy. it scared me the first time i did it lol.

[This message has been edited by aom expert (edited 05-15-2007 @ 01:11 PM).]

posted 26 June 2007 04:38 AM EDT (US)     21 / 24  
Ok, I think I know my mistake...

I don't have a penis - Ashrzr | What, ash has a penis - Blatant | no, I lie no longer - Ashrz
Proof that Noodle is a typical tea-drinking British
don't I have enough nicknames already - Revenge | no, you need more - Jack | says the tea drinking British! - Revenge | yes, say i. - Jack
Enlightenment is only one click away
posted 26 June 2007 03:15 PM EDT (US)     22 / 24  
Well I think the eternity game is finished. I might release on OS because it probably has loads of bugs.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
posted 26 June 2007 03:24 PM EDT (US)     23 / 24  
Don't bump threads.

posted 26 June 2007 11:54 PM EDT (US)     24 / 24  
nottud me find thing (it's anoying but way quicker): in the loop create the anubits at the revaler 10 sec high spike
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » How to do extreme POSITIVE and extreme NEGETIVE elevation! (REWRITTEN)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames