You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Continuous Screenshot Competition 2
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 76  Next Page »
posted 30 November 2007 04:11 AM EDT (US)   
The Continuous Screenshot Competition 2

Could Firefax please post the new theme?

Indiana Jones Winners:

• 1st Place: The Well of Souls by Elrich
  • 2nd Place: "It's bound to be booby trapped" by Firefax
  • 3rd Place: Don't bring a sword to a gunfight by HailToTheOboe

The theme for the current screenshots is: Indiana Jones and entries can be submitted till the 19th of April, voting for the two days after that, starting on the 20th. Voting will be announced.

What is this?
    The Continuous Screenshot Competition is stolen from AoKH, where it has been active and used for a very long time. It is to promote screenshots, and also to just have fun looking at and making the scenery. Each time there will be a theme in which the screenshot should fit, the winner of last theme is allowed to pick the new one. If a winner wins for the second time in a row, the number 2 is allowed to pick the theme. This thread is its second installment, and you might be wondering why we need a new thread. This is because of thread corruption: The more posts a thread gets, the more likely it is to corrupt, and I think it would be a big waste if we lost all the links to screenshots from the first installment.

The rules
    • No category may be used twice.
    • You may only enter one screenshot per category.
    • The previous winner can compete in the competition he set the theme for, this is a form of trust, so be honest.
    • Please do not suggest themes for the winner.
    • No altering of screenshots, except for adding text and borders.
    • Modding is allowed.
    • Both AoM and AoM: TT screenshots can be used.
    • You are not allowed to make screenshots from maps created before the competition, but you can use the map for something else after taking the screenshot.
    • No flaming, but constructive comments are allowed.
    • Everyone is allowed to vote one time per competition for one screenshot.
    • The winner of the last round may pick the theme for the new one, he can also add an extra restriction.
    • If same person wins in twice in a row (or more times), the runner-up may pick the new theme.
    • You cannot vote for your own screenshot.

Time between the competitions
    We have one week for the competition followed by 2 days to vote, after that the winner can post the new theme and we can start again.

Tips
    You can host shots at:
    You can make in-game screenshots with the following method:
    1. Press the Print Screen button on your keyboard.
    2. Paste your shot into a program like Paint.

Winners from earlier rounds
    All previous winners have been uploaded to the gallery here.

Current Competition Entries

Lets hope for a fun and fair competition, and good luck to all entries.

Best regards,
    Your host,
    Paperfriend.

Yes, periods and smileys are the same for me
    No matter what you say

[This message has been edited by Yeebaagooon (edited 04-24-2008 @ 07:58 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 30 November 2007 04:15 AM EDT (US)     1 / 1885  
    First person to post! Sorry had to say that and it seems so clean! Time to start making and...

<3

[This message has been edited by Nanodude (edited 11-30-2007 @ 04:16 AM).]

posted 30 November 2007 05:07 AM EDT (US)     2 / 1885  
    Hmmm, I have an idea but it's gonna take some time...

“Si vis pacem, para bellum”
    posted 30 November 2007 05:19 AM EDT (US)     3 / 1885  
    I haven't got any ideas.

<3
    posted 30 November 2007 09:07 AM EDT (US)     4 / 1885  
    Previous thread closed. Let's hope this thread gets just as many lovely entries

Sweet baby maizes!

[This message has been edited by I Love Bananas (edited 11-30-2007 @ 09:11 AM).]

posted 30 November 2007 10:27 AM EDT (US)     5 / 1885  
    awwww I didn't get to say goodbye...

I'll re-ask this question:
    is the theme:
    War of the World
    or
    War of the Worlds
    (to me, a reference to the book, radio play, original movie and Spielburg re-make)

makes a difference to me in my keeping to the theme rule..

Edit: nevermind, I saw your post at the end of the last thread

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
    Find the blood inside this stone
    Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
    I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone

[This message has been edited by Elrich (edited 11-30-2007 @ 04:24 PM).]

posted 30 November 2007 12:22 PM EDT (US)     6 / 1885  
    This one is probably worse than the last one but that won't stop me.

Crossing the Divide:

Don't just tell me how bad it is, tell me how to improve my shots.
    posted 30 November 2007 01:03 PM EDT (US)     7 / 1885  
    Well first you have to understand the concept of eyecandy...once you have got the hang of that you can do anything.

I'm very responsible, when ever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible
    posted 30 November 2007 01:09 PM EDT (US)     8 / 1885  
    w00t one of 10 first posts! Anyway, I'll make a screenie after I get home today.
    posted 30 November 2007 01:18 PM EDT (US)     9 / 1885  
    Quote:
    understand the concept of eyecandy
    Can someone give me some hints, I've been trying but I never seem to be able to make anything good.

Please HELP!!
    posted 30 November 2007 01:37 PM EDT (US)     10 / 1885  
    Hmmm maybe I should make a thread...not that my eyecandy is that good.

I'm very responsible, when ever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible
    posted 30 November 2007 02:09 PM EDT (US)     11 / 1885  
    There are several threads/guides already, so there is no need for a new thread.

*whew n00bish disaster diverted*
    posted 30 November 2007 02:34 PM EDT (US)     12 / 1885  
    Ok, Minos. here are my two cents.

I think this picture is pretty good (the last one you did was very ordinary with a lot of unused space as I remember).

Good points that I see:
        You have pretty good action. The concept of worlds at war is pretty clear - The kronos and Gaia titans are coming from a lava world into the lush world of their enemy. The trees near the battle are on fire. Both titans are in action.

Criticisms:
  • Both titans are in the same exact attack position (just unlucky timing, take a few snapshots and choose the best).

• The black river that separates the two lands seems to have two 'stars' suggesting that is it outer space between them but it only looks like a river between them. I have three suggestions for this:
    1. curve the lava-land away from the lush-land to suggest more of a separation like it is a floating meteor;
    2. Change the lava land to look like a spaceship with a landing ramp that is dropping right onto the lush-land deploying the attackers
    3. use something to suggest a portal like a Vortex Landing and the attackers are stepping through the portal into lush-land and attacking

• The land looks entirely flat which certainly could be real, but this is hollywood time - gotta be real-er than real.

• The camera angle is standard. It is a good angle to show the action, but everyone recognizes it and so it seems ordinary. Think of a movie poster: how about if the camera were on the ground behind one of the small human defenders and looking almost straight up at a titan. The defender's back would block some of the action, but you would see from his perspective giving quite a dramatic effect. You could also do the reverse, move the camera over kronos' shoulder and look down at his fodder.

• The lighting looks standard. Play around with lighting. Open the lighting gadget (the lightbulb button in the editor). Try the presets (night, dawn, fimbulwinter, etc..). Change the inclination (how high in the sky) and rotation (from which direction is the light source)of the lighting. When you change the rotation and inclination, they move by themselves until you either stop them or they reach their highest/lowest settings. So you might have to click the opposite arrow to get them back to normal and also one affects the other so play around a lot.

That's all I have time for now, but hopefully it will get you going. Remember to look at your screenshot and see if it has that "WOW" appeal to it, if not play around with camera angle, lighting... Ask yourself, are people going to say "I've never seen anything like that before?"

[This message has been edited by Elrich (edited 11-30-2007 @ 09:25 PM).]

• posted 30 November 2007 06:11 PM EDT (US)     13 / 1885  
    First of all, I'd like to give a speel on what this all means! We just completed an entire 107 pages worth of pure eyecandy and masterpieces! So much has happened from Page 1 - Page 107. Great designers have left, Great designers have come. New styles of screenshots have been created! The editor has been revolutionized! Good job AoMH in creating the most spectacular map making threads the world has ever seen!

And second of all, I will make shot over weekend!

I never asked for this.
    posted 30 November 2007 06:12 PM EDT (US)     14 / 1885  
    Elrich best to put it in paragraphs so it's easy to read.

<3
    posted 30 November 2007 06:15 PM EDT (US)     15 / 1885  
    I think this explained what is eyecandy. (Oh, no, wait, it doesn't, but it has 2 lines of definition :P , one of which is mine: CANDIES FOR TEH EYES! - gotta add more to that...)
    Linky

ChaosRobie and I made that description. Too short, but o well...

May I change the theme to something familiar to stop the confusion between the movie and what I meant?

I don't have a penis - Ashrzr | What, ash has a penis - Blatant | no, I lie no longer - Ashrz
    Proof that Noodle is a typical tea-drinking British
    don't I have enough nicknames already - Revenge | no, you need more - Jack | says the tea drinking British! - Revenge | yes, say i. - Jack
    Enlightenment is only one click away

[This message has been edited by Navarone_Revenge (edited 11-30-2007 @ 06:19 PM).]

posted 30 November 2007 06:53 PM EDT (US)     16 / 1885  
    posted 30 November 2007 06:58 PM EDT (US)     17 / 1885  
    Looks very nice FireFax, trees, bushes and mist looks very good.

<3
    posted 30 November 2007 09:23 PM EDT (US)     18 / 1885  
    Firefax, looks good and how about adding some fighting bringing the camera down to the ground at eye-level so the viewer feels like they are there in the battle.

[This message has been edited by Elrich (edited 11-30-2007 @ 09:27 PM).]

posted 01 December 2007 04:44 AM EDT (US)     19 / 1885  
    You're getting there firefax! I already have the feeling a big unpleasant battle is going to follow in this screenshot. Great use of lighting and environment!

However, as Elrich said, giving some units the attack animation would make the shot a bit better, and playing around a bit more with the camera angle. Also, you comitted a great sin when it comes to making screenies, you left a unit selected when making the shot, making his HP-bar visible, realize that this ruins the entire shot.

posted 01 December 2007 07:35 AM EDT (US)     20 / 1885  
    La resistance
    Its the concept of the french resistance, except with greeks v. romans. The murmillo are supposed to be the romans.

This is my signature. I wasn't feeling enthusiastic enough to write something witty. Sorry everyone, sorry.

[This message has been edited by Ace5762 (edited 12-01-2007 @ 07:35 AM).]

posted 01 December 2007 07:54 AM EDT (US)     21 / 1885  
    Ace, that shot is absolutely incredible.

░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░
    posted 01 December 2007 07:55 AM EDT (US)     22 / 1885  
    Im not sure if I can update enteries but here is my second atempt at the screenshot:

Hopefully this one is better.

Minos Yewman

P.S. @firefax I know I am really bad so shouldn't be criticising but one of the units in your shot is selected. Other than that, AMAZING!

Minos Yewman
    Ex-Spore Heaven Cherub

"With moderator powers come moderate responsabilities." -Alex_Of_Macedon

Continuous Creation Competition 2 | SpH Staff Dethy Mafia | The Hypermaze

[This message has been edited by Minos Yewman (edited 12-01-2007 @ 07:59 AM).]

posted 01 December 2007 08:02 AM EDT (US)     23 / 1885  
    Ace, that shot is VERY good! I don't really have any comments on it, it really gives you the feeling they're going to ambush the superior force, and they're a minority. I really like the shot!

posted 01 December 2007 08:24 AM EDT (US)     24 / 1885  
    Ace, that shot is absolutely incredible.
    Ace, that shot is VERY good! I don't really have any comments on it, it really gives you the feeling they're going to ambush the superior force, and they're a minority. I really like the shot!
    Thanks guys!
    By the way, firefax, I like your screen shot. I think having the god statues on the walls was an really good idea, and youve made the terrain well. Iut I think its focusing outside olympus too much. My advice would be to change it so the camera is centred on the gate of olympus and shows the enemy army attacking it. Also, try and make some variety with your units, it all seems to just be hoplites and colossi for the attackers.

This is my signature. I wasn't feeling enthusiastic enough to write something witty. Sorry everyone, sorry.

[This message has been edited by Ace5762 (edited 12-01-2007 @ 08:38 AM).]

posted 01 December 2007 10:55 AM EDT (US)     25 / 1885  

Hell vs. Heaven

KingUndergroundKing
    « Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 76  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » The Continuous Screenshot Competition 2
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames