You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Scenario Announcement: The Taproot Labyrinth
posted 07 January 2008 01:26 PM EDT (US)   

Introduction

After a huge battle, Cadrio is knocked through a portal into another dimension. He falls out of a staircase onto a grassy lawn surrounded by small, rocky cliffs. Ahead of him is a huge stone inscribed with runes placed underneath a huge root. He reads the runes and finds a strange request...

"Find and free the Stone Pharoah"

The Taproot Labyrinth is a puzzle scenario with numerous different types of puzzle, ranging from finding hidden units to navigating mazes.

Features

• Many different types of puzzles.
  • Experience and level system which allows you to level up when you choose and swap Exp Points for upgrades.
  • Magic system which allows you to use spells such as teleportation and healing.
  • 3 Unique Bosses
  • And More...

Screenshots

Progress

Overall
Map Design
Triggers

Playtesting

If you want to playtest, simply tell me in your post.

Current Playtesters:
  • Yeebaagooon

Credits

• Yeebaagooon for his progress bars
  • TartarianCerberus for his Ultimate Clock System guide
  • Lord_Eric0173 for his music
  • Archaeopterix for his AntiGravity Triggers

Exilian Patrician
| SotK |

Valour is the contempt of death and pain. - Tacitus

[This message has been edited by Son_of_the_King (edited 02-16-2008 @ 03:58 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07 January 2008 01:28 PM EDT (US)     1 / 25  
Ooh, I love me some puzzles.

I hope the bosses are difficult If they don't make you start from the beginning atleast once they don't deserve their title.
posted 07 January 2008 01:32 PM EDT (US)     2 / 25  
excellent, a new single-player scenario on the go. I have to say that i'm really happy with the amount of SP we're getting at the moment, most encouraging.

Anyway, some good screenshots. I like the idea of requesting your experience at the magical stone. And hen catching! sounds fun! agreed with Xzyiothe, games are too easy at the going rate, make sure you make a challenge. You could always include an autosave effect which would solve problems with having to start from the very beginning if you've forgotten to save.

ROME: 78 BC | | | | | THE LOST RUINS
Rome in your hands | Of Ancient Mesoamerica

AOMh Member since 2004
posted 07 January 2008 01:53 PM EDT (US)     3 / 25  
Fun and original... unless it's has grass and snow and sand which is... NOT ORIGINAL AT ALL! Very nice eyecandy by the way.

MEPH
[Insert amazingly witty signature here.]

Me and Yeebaagooon's scenarios | Download The Corruptor
posted 07 January 2008 01:59 PM EDT (US)     4 / 25  
Maybe I should make different coloured progress bars ?

Thanks for using them and it is not very often I say this but, This scenario looks awesome! Nice to see that maze you told us about ;p.

The puzzles and eyecandy look fantastic, I really cannot wait for this *Bribes SOTK for faster release*.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
posted 07 January 2008 02:05 PM EDT (US)     5 / 25  
*coughitsthesameonelolcough*

The scenario started when I made that guide. Then it became somewhere for me to test triggers etc. Then it became this.

*accepts bribe*

Anyway... Thanks for all the comments. I hate playtesting the hen chasing so much I added a skipcheat lol.

Exilian Patrician
| SotK |

[This message has been edited by Son_Of_The_King (edited 01-07-2008 @ 02:11 PM).]

posted 07 January 2008 02:21 PM EDT (US)     6 / 25  
Looks good,

Put some spiral eyecandy in there somewhere for me plz!

-Mator

..........(@_ "Keyboard unnatached, press F10 to continue or F8 to troubleshoot."
._..........)..\__________________________________
(_)@8@8{}<______________Mator______________>
.............)_/ "You are tempting fate."
............(@
(¯`._.[Creator of Miniscule!]._.´¯)
posted 09 January 2008 07:34 AM EDT (US)     7 / 25  
Hmm... I must say, this scenario looks nice. Your eyecandy has improved a lot, and the gameplay sounds more than interesting.
Just be sure to make it a challenge, as Xzyiothe said - easy is not the way to go with puzzles.

Anyway, good luck.

Sweet baby maizes!
posted 09 January 2008 08:01 AM EDT (US)     8 / 25  
Actually I was refering to bosses :P Since it's really disappointing to see a group of battle boars with one enlarged and seeing 'Watch out;boss time!' message flying across my screen >_>

Puzzles are supposed to be hard; their supposed to make you think :S
posted 09 January 2008 01:34 PM EDT (US)     9 / 25  
Agreed, Challenges = Awesome

One awesome idea:

Make it so people can choose easy, medium, or hard for the challenges!

-Mator

..........(@_ "Keyboard unnatached, press F10 to continue or F8 to troubleshoot."
............(@
posted 09 January 2008 01:38 PM EDT (US)     10 / 25  
If you want a real hard challenge on a puzzle scenario; don't look at hints. Real simple.
posted 11 January 2008 04:17 PM EDT (US)     11 / 25  
seems like a nice scenario.but for the eyecandy,you do lack.

your terreion mixing is fine,and mostly you know how to choose the right object. but you need to improve in:

terreion mixing:
lets take "hen catching one"

the cliffs to the bottom of the screen are monochromatic.why not add some hades cliff or,maybe,some greekb cliff?

the area beside the tamarisk tree is just gaia lush.it dosent convert well to the grass beside the road. why not add some gaia border and grass b ro make it collide more softly?

the road looks like a piece of dirt.ir really is. instead of half gradd sirt 50 and grass dirt 75, why not add some greek road,egyptian road, and citytile? it will make the road far nicer,while the addition of 65% dirt will still make it look village styled

the farm with the berry bushes has but plain dirt. you can add some gaia flowers ad dirt, and some papyrus for decoration.

tiny completing eyecandy:
well take the same screenshot

the cliffs,again,just plain greek cliffs. whats the point? why not add granite rocks and limestone rocks? and to complete the transition,limestone sprites. you can also add a milestone greek or two to make the thing look nicer

the tamarisk tree area is simply gaia lush of diffrent kinds. why not add some grass,rock granite small, and papyrus? it would look far better.

the road area is totaly lacking.you can try adding some greek milestones.as well as standing columns,grass,crowned cranes and rock river graddy kinds

the farm area is just berry bushes. cmo'n guy,add some papyrus! and some bushes! and a greek fountain! greece has the best fountains! and of course,add a house,some crate smalls,and a farm or two. for the terrion,add savanah of all four types,until it feels correct.

now,compare the diffrence,and tell me if cadrio likes his new world better :}
posted 11 January 2008 08:48 PM EDT (US)     12 / 25  
Ahem.

Thats not eyecandy.

Terrain mixing has nothing to do with eyecandy.

Terrain is unimportant in the scenario.

DO NOT TELL PEOPLE THEY ARE LACKING IN THEIR SCENARIOS IN YOUR FIRST YEAR AT AOMH. YOU CANNOT SAY THAT ESPECIALLY BECAUSE IT IS NOT TRUE.

Terrain mixing <<<<<<< Real Eyecandy

Your wrong. Thats that.

You are new, and you are not expierenced. So don't tell people to ruin thier scenarios. Rocks on a cliff aren't important. People DON'T do that.

You are wrong. That is not how you do eyecandy.

You don't have to do that.
That isn't what all people do.
You should not critisize people on their maps when theirs are 100x or even 1000x better then yours.

You need to work on spelling and grammar.

Adding rocks on cliffs can make a good effect, but that isn't always nescesary. Mixing terrain isn't done. It doesn't blend with the scenario.

Just stop now eyecandy of doom. So far I haven't seen you cause any good with your "advice."

You aren't expierenced enough to give "advice". So please stop!!!

-Mator

............(@
posted 11 January 2008 09:06 PM EDT (US)     13 / 25  
the cliffs to the bottom of the screen are monochromatic.why not add some hades cliff or,maybe,some greekb cliff?
Yeah because hades cliff goes great with Grass doesn't it?
the road looks like a piece of dirt.ir really is. instead of half gradd sirt 50 and grass dirt 75, why not add some greek road,egyptian road, and citytile? it will make the road far nicer,while the addition of 65% dirt will still make it look village styled
A worn dirt path looks alot better there than a decaying built road.

You're going around criticising things that have nothing wrong with them.
It looks good the way it is, you're just nitpicking on the smallest details that won't make the tinyiest amount of difference.

(_̅_̅(̲̲̲̲̲̅̅̅̅̅̅(̅_̅_̲̅marij̲u̲̅an̲̅a̲̅̅_̅_̅_̅()
(is not as helluva drug as pepe)
posted 11 January 2008 09:32 PM EDT (US)     14 / 25  
Yeah. Thats what I was trying to say.

You are criticising things that shouldn't be critisized. Stop.

-Mator

............(@
posted 26 January 2008 11:59 AM EDT (US)     15 / 25  
I liked it so much i played it over and over again ,although its too easy i like how you made the map
posted 09 February 2008 06:34 AM EDT (US)     16 / 25  
I liked it so much i played it over and over again ,although its too easy i like how you made the map
? Wrong thread? This isn't even released yet...

There hasn't been much progress on this recently, mainly due to Rome: Total War. I'll post some new screenies when I have something to show .

Exilian Patrician
| SotK |

posted 09 February 2008 01:17 PM EDT (US)     17 / 25  
This looks really good!

Looking forward to it.

The boy with the mad imagination
Prepare for the ultimate duel!
Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
Find out and download the transform trigger here.
Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
posted 09 February 2008 01:19 PM EDT (US)     18 / 25  
Sooo ... when can we expect this?

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
posted 09 February 2008 02:27 PM EDT (US)     19 / 25  
April-ish, +/- a couple of weeks probably.

Exilian Patrician
| SotK |

posted 09 February 2008 02:40 PM EDT (US)     20 / 25  
Wow your finishing this already?

Im getting excited!

The Gods have left us, therefore making the old world crumble and turn into ashes...

But as the gods return, from the ashes of the old world, shall rise a more beautiful and powerful new world, and life will begin once more, if they hadn't closed...dang you ES.
posted 16 February 2008 05:47 AM EDT (US)     21 / 25  
Just to tease you all, here is a screenshot of the first puzzle...

[JPEG, (732.11 KB)]

Exilian Patrician
| SotK |

posted 16 February 2008 06:01 AM EDT (US)     22 / 25  
Looks good, no QV decimals . However some of that message is offscreen. Can't wait for this.

*Puts hand up to playtest*

posted 16 February 2008 03:14 PM EDT (US)     23 / 25  
I know about that text... I just never got round to changing it.

I have to do a lot of shop triggers still and also two puzzles. Then I need to make the menus for the shops...

Also, why will the
[IMG] and [/IMG]
tags not work?

Exilian Patrician
| SotK |

posted 16 February 2008 03:39 PM EDT (US)     24 / 25  
The image is probably too big.

posted 16 February 2008 03:50 PM EDT (US)     25 / 25  
Ah.

The weird rptr2 and hntr2 things in the text are a system that I am using throughout the scenario. Each challenge/puzzle which doesn't automatically loop will be given a code, in the case of the one you can see r2 which you can put after a command to make something happen. There will be a full list of commands in the readme. There are also a few to trigger misc events such as timecheck to check the time and spend exp to go to the shop area. Just incase you were wondering.

Also, is that puzzle too hard? Or too easy?

Exilian Patrician
| SotK |

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Scenario Announcement: The Taproot Labyrinth
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames