You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Have a Question? Post it here!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100 ··· 101  Next Page »
posted 05 November 2009 04:24 PM EDT (US)   

Confused? Encountered a problem in the game? Ask your question here and we can help!

Please read the FAQ in this post before posting. Thank you!

Once a thread reaches its 2500'th post, it is closed. For the question thread, we always need a new one, so there are old question threads that have ended before this new one. If you want to go back to search for questions and discussions answered, then select one of the names to link to their question thread.

~King Jared~ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ~ArticWind7~ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ~Paperfriend~ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ~Yeebaagooon~

~Yeebaagooon~ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ~OmegasRage~ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ~Azur Fire~

The question threads' purpose is to keep the forum cleaner, making it easier to read the remaining topics, and it will save space instead of threads asking questions about scenario design in the Age of Mythology community. I am sure many both great and less experienced designers will take the time to answer both your simple and harder questions, they might learn something new to..

So, post any and all questions about scripts, triggers, units, mapping, modding, really anything that is about something in the Age of Mythology universe, and the skilled designers in the Age of Mythology community will do their best to answer them. There are two exceptions to the content of what you can discuss in here though. If you want to request new triggers, discuss very complicated triggers, or ask and speak about coding for new triggers, then talk over in the Trigger Request Thread. If you want to talk about modifying the games files, ask about how to modify different aspects of the game, or just chat around in that area of thought, then head over to the Question Thread in the Modding Forumn.

-Trigger Request Thread- _ _ _ _ _ _ _ -Modding Question Thread-

Before you ask your question, first see if the answer is in these frequently asked questions, FAQ.

• Please help me, I can't find where the games files on my computer are for downloading stuff to put in them, editing them, and getting my scenario and recorded game files.
    There are two paths for the Age of Mythology folders and files.
    (Documents-->My Games-->Age of Mythology) and (My Computer-->C: Drive-->Program Files-->Microsoft Games-->Age of Mythology)

• Arrg! Every time I playtest my map, it just ends after like 5 seconds and says I won or lost!
    This is an extremely common problem for newer people. Go in the editor, and go to edit, scenario data, and then click the box next to Victory Conditions to turn it off.

• I started a new map, and now there is some sort of infinite land showing at the edges of the map, and it is making it extremely laggy!
    Select this link to see how to fix the problem.

• In triggers that have the protounit lists, most of the units have different names! This is extremely confusing, and I can't find the protounit list name for a unit.
    Select the unit you want to know the protounit name of, and press ALT+A. Or go to the cinematics menu in the editor, and select animations. The protounit name of the selected unit is in the black bar at the top of the animations window.

• How do you change a units size and rotate it in the editor?
    Press K on your keyboard to make objects bigger, and shift + K to make objects smaller (TT only). To rotate a unit, press Ctrl + an arrow key to move it around in different positions.

• How do I change a units stats for a scenario?
    Use the Modify Protounit effect in a trigger (TT only). For AoM (Vanilla), you can use the effect Set Tech Status, and then grant technologies for the specific things you want to boost, and you can grant any number of a technology to keep changing stats.

• How do I change the position of the camera in the editor?
    First you need to unlock the camera, press Ctrl + Alt + C on your keyboard to do so, now you can press + on your keyboard to zoom in, and - to zoom out, to change the angle of pitch, you can press A to go up and Z to go down.

• How do I change the name of all units of a certain type ingame?
    The default game change name is only for selected units, if you want to have one to change all units names as you wish, copy and paste this effect into your trigger typetest file.

<Effect name="Change Name Units in Area">
    <Param name="DstObject" dispName="$$22300$$Center Unit" VarType="unit">default</Param>
    <Param name="PlayerID" dispName="$$22444$$From Player" VarType="long">1</Param>
    <Param name="ProtoName" dispName="$$22434$$FromProtoName" varType="protounit">Villager</Param>
    <Param name="NewName" dispName="$$22449$$Name" varType="string">Bubba Joe</Param>
    <Param name="Dist" dispName="$$22303$$Radius" VarType="float">10</Param>
    <Command>for(Qid=0;>1){}</Command>
    <Command>for(oldPlayer=xsGetContextPlayer();>99){}</Command>
    <Command>xsSetContextPlayer(%PlayerID%);kbLookAtAllUnitsOnMap();</Command>
    <Command>Qid=kbUnitQueryCreate("QDUA_%PlayerID%_%ProtoName%");</Command>
    <Command>kbUnitQuerySetPlayerID(Qid, %PlayerID%, true);</Command>
    <Command>kbUnitQuerySetUnitType(Qid, kbGetProtoUnitID("%ProtoName%"));</Command>
    <Command>kbUnitQuerySetPosition(Qid, kbGetBlockPosition("%DstObject%"));</Command>
    <Command>kbUnitQuerySetMaximumDistance(Qid, %Dist%);</Command>
    <Command>kbUnitQuerySetAscendingSort(Qid, false);</Command>
    <Command>kbUnitQuerySetState(Qid,2);</Command>
    <Command>trUnitSelectClear();</Command>
    <Command>for(i=kbUnitQueryExecute(Qid)-1;>-1){</Command>
    <Command>trUnitSelectByID(kbUnitQueryGetResult(Qid,i));}</Command>
    <Command>trUnitChangeName("%NewName%");</Command>
    <Command>xsSetContextPlayer(oldPlayer);</Command>
    </Effect>

• I want to be able to have more units than the game allows, how can I have over 300 population?
    1. Use the Modify Protounit effect to make a protounit have a population cost of a very extremely high number, like 999999999. Make sure that it is a protounit that you cant normally get ingame by yourself. Then just place two of them somewhere on the map, and they will make the population for that player go to a negative number, and be infinite.
    2. Use the Modify Protounit effect to modify every protounit that you would be able to have ingame and use to play with. Change each of those protounits to have a population cost of zero, 0.

• I keep hearing about "quest variables, quest vars, and qv's", what are these things and how do I use them?
    They are very useful conditions and effects that are helpful for storing and using data within triggers. Click on here to understand them.

• How do I make units regenerate?
    Use the effect damage unit or damage unit percent, and put in a negative number.

• How do I let a player have certain technologies, and build/train different cultures units/buildings?
    The trigger effect Set Tech Status, Unforbid and Enable unit, and Forbid and Disable unit are for granting these abilities. If you are going to grant a unit make sure you set an age 4 technology active with Set Tech Status.

• Help! My triggers have stopped working!
    Using run immediately, quotations in chats, linking camera tracks, sound timers and decimals in conditions like timer and distance to unit effect this. If you are unsure about what is the source, outline what you did, and we can help.

• Arrgghhh! Army deploy doesn't work online but its fine when I Playtest!
    It dosnt work for computers. Deploy the army as player 1, and then use army convert to your desired player. There are many other triggers that work only for single player mode, aka not online. Ask around if you are uncertain or need help with online scenarios.

• How can I rotate buildings in-game?
    Create a notepad file, and put this text into it.
    // Press Shift and rotate the mousewheel to rotate buildings (when placing them) in Singleplayer/multiplayer games
    map ("shift-mousez", "building", "uiWheelRotatePlacedUnit")

Save the file as User.con, and put it in the startup folder of your aom directory. Use your mouse wheel with shift to rotate building placement in game.

• Why can't I modify the attack of some units?
    You can't change the attack of some units, because they use a special attack to fight with. The units are, ManoWar, Son of Osiris, Son of Oriris XP, Petsuchos, and Circe.

• Is there a way to change Mother Nature's (Player 0) color, name, and god?
    Yes there is! A utility has been created to do so, CLICK HERE to get it.

• Is it possible to be able to change players in game? As in playing as a different player halfway through the game?
    Use the games trigger effect, Player Set Active, to change which player you are playing as. That one only works for the player you are playing as in a game, if you want to be able to manipulate any player, copy and paste this effect into your trigger typetest.

<Effect name="Player Change Random">
    <Param name="PlayerID0" dispName="Original Player" varType="float">0</Param>
    <Param name="Number" dispName="Choice Number" varType="float">0</Param>
    <Param name="PlayerID1" dispName="Player Choice" varType="float">0</Param>
    <Param name="PlayerID2" dispName="Player Choice" varType="float">0</Param>
    <Param name="PlayerID3" dispName="Player Choice" varType="float">0</Param>
    <Param name="PlayerID4" dispName="Player Choice" varType="float">0</Param>
    <Param name="PlayerID5" dispName="Player Choice" varType="float">0</Param>
    <Command>trQuestVarSetFromRand("IHFBDPCCPIGN", 1, %Number%, true);</Command>
    <Command>for(PLAY=0;>1) {}</Command>
    <Command>PLAY = trQuestVarGet("IHFBDPCCPIGN");</Command>
    <Command><![CDATA[ if(PLAY==1 && trCurrentPlayer()==%PlayerID0%) trPlayerSetActive(%PlayerID1%);]]></Command>
    <Command><![CDATA[ if(PLAY==2 && trCurrentPlayer()==%PlayerID0%) trPlayerSetActive(%PlayerID2%);]]></Command>
    <Command><![CDATA[ if(PLAY==3 && trCurrentPlayer()==%PlayerID0%) trPlayerSetActive(%PlayerID3%);]]></Command>
    <Command><![CDATA[ if(PLAY==4 && trCurrentPlayer()==%PlayerID0%) trPlayerSetActive(%PlayerID4%);]]></Command>
    <Command><![CDATA[ if(PLAY==5 && trCurrentPlayer()==%PlayerID0%) trPlayerSetActive(%PlayerID5%);]]></Command>
    <Command>else trQuestVarSet("IHFBDPCCPIGN", 0);</Command>
    </Effect>

• Now ask away!
    Here are some helpful guides for the editor! Update when needed.
    Design Library
    Showcasing
    Custom Relics
    RPG Guide
    Skippable Intro Cinematics
    Custom Main Menu
    City Street Design
    Levelling System
    Cinematics
    Units on Boats
    Town Design
    Trigger Setup Effects
    Terrain
    Triggers
    Eyecandy
    River Design
    Imagination
    Menu Background

[This message has been edited by WinstonShnozwick (edited 05-30-2010 @ 10:02 PM).]

Replies:
    posted 05 November 2009 04:25 PM EDT (US)     1 / 2521  
    Like I said in the prevorious thread, I want the first post

Currently working on:
    A pirate thing. Move the ship with the WASD keys, shoot with Q and E, stop with R. I need some help with bugged conditions and effects or other things I can't do.
    So hurry to the question/trigger thread, because there's probably a question I asked

[This message has been edited by Lastig4 (edited 11-05-2009 @ 04:26 PM).]

posted 05 November 2009 04:25 PM EDT (US)     2 / 2521  
    You're lucky Winston

~Guard of Olympus ~
    Dark Times|My work (4.6)|Teaser #2
    posted 05 November 2009 04:26 PM EDT (US)     3 / 2521  
    You'll need to personalise this .

And now for the sticking ceremony...

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
    ____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
    "You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
    "Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
    AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
    Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
    posted 05 November 2009 04:26 PM EDT (US)     4 / 2521  
    Thanks very much to lastig and his everlasting generosity and kindness for letting me have this. I shall be making continuous updates until it is perfect. Should take about a month.

I need help guys, for updating.

First, I need you guys to give links and reccommend very helpful guides for any area of aom, so that i can have a guide part in the OP.

Also, tell me some most frequently asked questions, so i can update that.

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
    Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
    Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
    6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.
    posted 05 November 2009 04:27 PM EDT (US)     5 / 2521  
    Too bad, I wanted it! Now I'll just have to post like ten questions a day for this to work

http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=13,28289,30,20

http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=13,28251,,all

~Guard of Olympus ~

[This message has been edited by Guard of Olympus (edited 11-05-2009 @ 04:29 PM).]

posted 05 November 2009 04:28 PM EDT (US)     6 / 2521  
    Thanks very much to lastig and his everlasting generosity and kindness for letting me have this. I shall be making continuous updates until it is perfect. Should take about a month.
    Excellent.

And don't post questions just for the sake of it. You'll just waste the answerer's time. Just get over it .

I might get my hat trick yet...

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
    "You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
    "Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
    AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
    posted 05 November 2009 04:29 PM EDT (US)     7 / 2521  
    nah, let it last, just be normal now, we are of SD, dignified.

Hey yeeb, could you make the threads color 00C800 in the forumn? Instead of red.

Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    posted 05 November 2009 04:29 PM EDT (US)     8 / 2521  
    Maybe:
    How to Make things bold, underline them and italicize them and how to give things color and how put a QV in the chat in the game?
    Or is this just something everybody knows and I'm the only one who doesn't?

And I still need to know how you get a QV in the objectives.

Currently working on:
    A pirate thing. Move the ship with the WASD keys, shoot with Q and E, stop with R. I need some help with bugged conditions and effects or other things I can't do.
    So hurry to the question/trigger thread, because there's probably a question I asked

[This message has been edited by Lastig4 (edited 11-05-2009 @ 04:32 PM).]

posted 05 November 2009 04:30 PM EDT (US)     9 / 2521  
    Done. Enjoy your reign Winston.

posted 05 November 2009 04:30 PM EDT (US)     10 / 2521  
    But I want to ask questions...

Notice the links I posted, they might be usefull

~Guard of Olympus ~
    posted 05 November 2009 04:30 PM EDT (US)     11 / 2521  
    good one lastig, ill do that. Oh and everyone else, please refer to my first post here, i need help adding new content.

posted 05 November 2009 04:32 PM EDT (US)     12 / 2521  
    Done. Enjoy your reign Winston.
    You are officially my favorite moderator. And thats not kissass, its my genuine opinion.

posted 05 November 2009 04:32 PM EDT (US)     13 / 2521  
    Good bye people! It's getting late

~Guard of Olympus ~

[This message has been edited by Guard of Olympus (edited 11-05-2009 @ 04:33 PM).]

posted 05 November 2009 04:38 PM EDT (US)     14 / 2521  
    Hey yeeb, you know html right? Well how do i make text bold, italic, and underlined? I know how to change size and color with html, but i cant seem to do the others.

posted 05 November 2009 04:40 PM EDT (US)     15 / 2521  
    Use this:
    [b][/b] to bold, [i][/i] to italicize and [u][/u] to underline
    and use:
     [code]
    to make text appear that way and to show the code's

Or aren't these HTML codes?

Currently working on:

[This message has been edited by Lastig4 (edited 11-05-2009 @ 04:44 PM).]

posted 05 November 2009 04:52 PM EDT (US)     16 / 2521  
    yeah, those work, but they are bbcode. I want to use html, its easier when you understand it. Anyway i dont know how, so it would be nice to know how. Also, how do i make a colored bar? In the post, the < hr > thing, thats the bar, how do i color it and change its other properties like size?

posted 05 November 2009 04:55 PM EDT (US)     17 / 2521  
    <i>Italic lol</i>
    <em>Also italic lol</em>
    <b>Bold lol</b>
    <strong>Also bold lol</strong>
    <u>Underlined lol</u>
    <hr height="47" width="47%" color="#474747">
    Italic lol
    Also italic lol
    Bold lol
    Also bold lol
    Underlined lol

Don't make a new thread, post your question here and we can help!
    Seems a bit silly to tell them that in this thread as they wouldn't see it if they just posted a new thread.

[This message has been edited by Yeebaagooon (edited 11-05-2009 @ 05:02 PM).]

posted 05 November 2009 04:59 PM EDT (US)     18 / 2521  
    Thanks.
    You must really like that number.
    3 is my number though. The ultimate number of luck.

posted 05 November 2009 05:00 PM EDT (US)     19 / 2521  
    I need help guys, for updating.

First, I need you guys to give links and reccommend very helpful guides for any area of aom, so that i can have a guide part in the OP.
    Triggers stop working.
    A QV guide.
    Bridges passable by ships guide.
    Kill counter.
    Advanced trigger guide.
    QV music systems.
    Something like setting a stat value ingame.
    Infinite leveling
    Another QV guide.
    One of nottud's useful guides (cliff on side).
    nottud's high elevation
    Ships moving on land.
    10 commandmants of SD.
    I selected the ones i think are the most useful in SD. Select the ones you think are the best and put them into the thread
    And add azur's thread into the previous threads list
    EDIT:
    Mine is 4
    EDIT:EDIT: what... this post keeps making an end url tag at the end... i wonder why...

AoMH retired Scenario designer
    Skarr: "I wish WRP_Beater would stop abusing the poor BBCode."
    lostrozzacavalli: "Mezzo e un minuto." | "I'm joking ragazzo."
    Dr. Newt: "You are WRP. A slightly manic Italian presence on the forums, you have improved over the years to be a fairly reliable pair of hands, either as town or scum."

[This message has been edited by WRP_Beater (edited 11-05-2009 @ 05:04 PM).]

posted 05 November 2009 05:04 PM EDT (US)     20 / 2521  
    Ok i shall look at those guides, and make a guide section in the OP. Tomorrow I can update alot, I will have the whole day off from school.

And 4 is a cool number to me, to me, it is complete opposite of 3, it the number of UNluck

posted 05 November 2009 05:04 PM EDT (US)     21 / 2521  
    There's plenty of links in the library, you could just link there.

Also:
    http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=13,24393,,all

Also 18 used to be my favourite number before I was enlightened.

[This message has been edited by Yeebaagooon (edited 11-05-2009 @ 05:06 PM).]

posted 05 November 2009 05:06 PM EDT (US)     22 / 2521  
    to me, it is complete opposite of 3, it the number of UNluck
    So i'm unlucky

AoMH retired Scenario designer
    Skarr: "I wish WRP_Beater would stop abusing the poor BBCode."
    lostrozzacavalli: "Mezzo e un minuto." | "I'm joking ragazzo."
    Dr. Newt: "You are WRP. A slightly manic Italian presence on the forums, you have improved over the years to be a fairly reliable pair of hands, either as town or scum."
    posted 05 November 2009 05:12 PM EDT (US)     23 / 2521  
    Just a word of advise, first time I got this I tried to colour it but most people didn't like the new look.

Not trying to disencourage you, but I hope it looks great .

posted 05 November 2009 05:15 PM EDT (US)     24 / 2521  
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I expected Azur, Yeeb, or someone else, not Winstick, to get it. I was asleep, unlike winston staying up the whole night.

posted 05 November 2009 06:02 PM EDT (US)     25 / 2521  
    Aww, Lastig, you should've kept it. You earned it. Now we have to see Schnockwacker's name at the top of the page all the time

I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know this thread belong with Lastig. It's part of your work, the thing that keeps it going. If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
    « Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100 ··· 101  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Have a Question? Post it here!
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to: