Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Showcase: Rocmaninov
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 24 December 2009 10:00 PM EDT (US)   

Cries and shrieks of giant birds once rang loud across the vast red sands of the desert. Rocs filled the sky, their majestic wings silhouetted against the beating sun. As their numbers grew, so did their boldness, and Rocs began creeping into human territory. They terrorized travelers and flew away with livestock and supplies. The Pharaoh of the city Rebban responded by initiating an enormous hunting campaign where his soldiers plunged into the desert, killing every Roc and destroying every nest and egg. After a decade of vicious hunting, only one single Roc had escaped the Pharaoh's wrath, and now he returns on a quest for which he has nothing to gain, and having lost his entire family and clan, nothing to lose.

This project has been on my list for quite a long time; however, due to my decreasing availability to work on AoM, I've abbreviated this scenario significantly and hope to bring it to completion rather than abandoning it, even though it will be smaller and less complex than originally intended.

Please watch and enjoy the video for a preview.

Since the scenario is still under construction, what you see in the video is not yet the final product and is subject to change.

The main components of the gameplay are visible in the video. The gameplay itself is not complicated, but the triggering behind it is.

Gameplay
  • Fly Rocmaninov over the city using hotkeys.
  • Drop rocks on people and buildings below, with the ultimate goal of killing the Pharaoh.
  • Certain actions can trigger certain events that will effect you and the city. Sometimes in your favour, sometimes not.
  • Everyone is trying to kill you, but you're not going to let them.

Features
  • Game powered entirely by hotkeys.
  • Hotkeys will not persist into other games you continue to play in the same AoM session.
  • Dynamic first person chase camera.
  • "Artifical Semi-Intelligent" opponent
  • Unique Gameplay.
  • Soundtrack by Sergei Rachmaninov.
  • Made in Vanilla, compatible for Vanilla and Expansion

[This message has been edited by HailToTheOboe (edited 12-26-2009 @ 08:51 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 24 December 2009 10:09 PM EDT (US)     1 / 32  
    Yay it's been a long time since you released any scenario, looking very forward to it. Gameplay looks original

Winner of the AoMH Screenshot Tournament IV
    Some of my cinematics: Vinland Saga Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) The Bow of Odysseus The Final Destination of Alexander the Great
    posted 25 December 2009 08:34 AM EDT (US)     2 / 32  
    Looks cool
    Have you turned the whole screen or so? It looks like it when the roc is making a turn to the left or right.

And how do you control the roc?

Currently working on:
    A pirate thing. Move the ship with the WASD keys, shoot with Q and E, stop with R. I need some help with bugged conditions and effects or other things I can't do.
    So hurry to the question/trigger thread, because there's probably a question I asked
    posted 25 December 2009 11:16 AM EDT (US)     3 / 32  
    Have you turned the whole screen or so? It looks like it when the roc is making a turn to the left or right
    If he did like Vandhaal in The Corruptor, he simply used the inclination tool to give an angle to the roc, the roc being located on edge of map with camera looking up from underground so that it seems to be in sky, therefor with the angle it looks like it is turning.

Winner of the AoMH Screenshot Tournament IV
    Some of my cinematics: Vinland Saga Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) The Bow of Odysseus The Final Destination of Alexander the Great

[This message has been edited by Alex_Of_Macedon (edited 12-25-2009 @ 11:17 AM).]

posted 25 December 2009 03:54 PM EDT (US)     4 / 32  
    Good luck Hail .

Utilities || Map Tool 3.1 Inventory Triggers MP Triggers Comic AoM
    RandomMaps || Mad Supremacy Escape Your Mates Escape
    Scenarios || Bomberman Minigames Y 2.0 Convert & Fight
    Games || Bullet Demo Ball Bouncer 3D
    WRP_Beater: "Meglio una gallina oggi che un uovo domani."
    My name has been misspelled 132 times (Last: BSU_DoLhades Best: Lostrozzabercrombie In a row: 5)
    posted 26 December 2009 03:24 AM EDT (US)     5 / 32  
    This will sure be one to make it in the pages! Good luck

|MEMORY|
    posted 26 December 2009 03:53 AM EDT (US)     6 / 32  
    Wow, seems amazing!

castwcrt rip 2010-2010
    posted 26 December 2009 04:02 AM EDT (US)     7 / 32  
    How does gameplay work? Sounds awesome.

~Guard of Olympus ~
    Dark Times|My work (4.6)|Teaser #2
    posted 26 December 2009 06:33 AM EDT (US)     8 / 32  
    Looks like a tiny map, is it a short game?

Yeebaagooon: See, he's hardcore. Opting for people rather than vegetables!
    posted 26 December 2009 09:39 AM EDT (US)     9 / 32  
    Hail you are such a nerd really

posted 26 December 2009 11:22 AM EDT (US)     10 / 32  
    Looks like your a bomber-plane or something.
    posted 26 December 2009 02:09 PM EDT (US)     11 / 32  
    Godammit hail, you are amazing. The video was great. Need to tell more about the game though, like how the playability will be an stuff. Just great. This is awesome.

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
    Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
    Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
    6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.
    posted 26 December 2009 08:49 PM EDT (US)     12 / 32  
    Looks like a tiny map, is it a short game?
    Yes, fairly short. I've resigned myself to the fact that I won't finish a big map in less than a few years, so I'm going small so it will be finished while a few people still play this game. Plus, I have less AoM editor time so the scope has been narrowed significantly, but it will still be a fun scenario and several aspects of its triggering stretch far beyond what ES intended triggers to be capable of.

The main components of the gameplay are visible in the video. The gameplay itself is not complicated, but the triggering behind it is.

Gameplay
  • Fly Rocmaninov over the city using hotkeys.
  • Drop rocks on people and buildings below, with the ultimate goal of killing the Pharaoh.
  • Certain actions can trigger certain events that will effect you and the city. Sometimes in your favour, sometimes not.
  • Everyone is trying to kill you, but you're not going to let them.

Features
  • Game powered entirely by hotkeys.
  • Hotkeys will not persist into other games you continue to play in the same AoM session.
  • Dynamic first person chase camera.
  • "Artifical Semi-Intelligent" opponent
  • Unique Gameplay.
  • Soundtrack by Sergei Rachmaninov.

[This message has been edited by HailToTheOboe (edited 12-26-2009 @ 08:51 PM).]

• posted 27 December 2009 05:19 AM EDT (US)     13 / 32  
    Now I see where you got the name from .

This looks really cool. Rocs dropping rocks . Maybe you could use an animation to make it drop the tent on top of the pharaoh at the end?

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
    ____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
    "You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
    "Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
    AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
    Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
    posted 01 January 2010 03:55 PM EDT (US)     14 / 32  
    I've done a little bit of work on this.

New things I've added:
  • Made intro cinematic skippable
  • Replaced my distance-based Transport Unit in Line triggers. There has been an underlying problem with these in that very fast looping triggers will act very differently under different operating conditions, whether computer is fast, slow, or you have programs running in the background (Fraps was a killer on my old computer). Elrich offered a solution where the triggers were based on TIME rather than just distance, but that still didn't quite fit my needs, so I met him in the middle and made a version based on speed. This way there will be greater consistency between fast and slow computers. On a slow computer movement will be choppier, but the overall speed will be roughly the same.

So everything still looks the same, but hopefully this will mean that when you get to see it, it'll look the same as I designed it to look.
  • posted 02 January 2010 04:30 PM EDT (US)     15 / 32  
    looks great. The prospect of new triggers when you release this is the most exciting.

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
    Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
    Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
    6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.
    posted 03 January 2010 03:01 AM EDT (US)     16 / 32  
    woah this seems awesome! Very nice teaser :P
    Your very good with cinematics.
    Cant wait to play it.

My Upcoming website!
    The Black Hand RPG - Revived
    Join my Facebook Group :P
    Nazi Zombie Verukkt sound files
    Mess With The BesT DiE LiKe ThE ReST
    Argh!! It's EXOLAR not xEXOLARx get it right!!
    posted 09 January 2010 06:06 PM EDT (US)     17 / 32  
    One of the triggers I'm using in this scenario that I haven't released yet is the following: Transport Units in Line Proportional TL SP.
    TL SP indiciates that it needs the Trigger Loader and only works in Single Player.

This trigger transports a unit in a line towards a target, but unlike the previous versions it calculates the speed of the unit to be proportional to the distance, so when the unit is far, it moves quickly, and when it is close, it moves slowly, coming to a smooth stop as it reaches the target.

You are given the option of using the Gain and Power parameters, so your unit speed will look sort of like this:
    %Gain%*distance^%Power%

You can leave Power as 1, but if you increase it, your unit will accelerate/decelerate much more steeply. You'll need to lower the gain when using higher powers. Negative exponent is not supported.

You can use a negative number for the Gain, and this will make your unit travel away from the target, and speed up as it gets farther. You can almost guarantee it'll shoot off the edge of the map, but it will stop trying to teleport once that happens.

There is also an option to make the unit face its target and you can add an offset to make it face away, or face 30 degrees off of the target.

Using the regular Transport Units in Line triggers you can vary the speed using QVs, but this guarantees a continuous smooth change for some of the more common applications.

Here are some simple uses, but the sky is the limit, there are certainly many more ways to use this if you put your mind to it.
  • User-made projectiles
  • Smooth arrival of effects without a sudden start/stop
  • Skating/skiing?
  • Having a unit smoothly following another unit at roughly constant distance, even if the target unit is changing speed, or direction.
  • Yet another tool in the toolbox for doing crazy special effects

Yes, I have used this effect in Rocmaninov, and yes it is shown in the teaser video.

Here is a very simple video demonstration of the trigger used in its simplest form.

Here is the trigger code.
       <Effect name="Transport Units in Line Proportional TL SP">
    <!-- makes speed proportional to distance (multiplied by the Gain)-->
    <!--Put on loop with condition always or fast timer-->
    <Param name="SrcObject" dispName="Source Units" varType="unit">default</Param>
    <Param name="DstObject" dispName="Target Unit" varType="unit">default</Param>
    <Param name="Gain" dispName="Gain" varType="string">0.1</Param>
    <Param name="Power" dispName="Power" varType="string">1</Param>
    <Param name="Heading" dispName="Change Heading" varType="bool">false</Param>
    <Param name="HeadingShift" dispName="Heading Offset" varType="string">0</Param>
    <Param name="Stop" dispName="Stop on arrival" varType="bool">true</Param>
    <Command>trUnitSelectClear();</Command>
    <Command loop="" loopParm="SrcObject">trUnitSelect("%SrcObject%");</Command>
    <Command>for(id=0;>1) {}</Command>
    <Command>id=kbGetBlockID("%SrcObject%")*kbGetBlockID("%DstObject%")-kbGetBlockID("%SrcObject%");</Command>
    <Command>if(%Stop%==false) trQuestVarSet("transportcheck"+id,0);</Command>
    <Command>if(0.5*%Gain% > trUnitDistanceToUnit("%DstObject%")){</Command>
    <Command>trQuestVarSet("transportcheck"+id,1);}</Command>
    <Command>if(xsVectorGetX(kbGetBlockPosition("%SrcObject%"))==-1) trQuestVarSet("transportcheck"+id,1);</Command>
    <Command>if(trQuestVarGet("transportcheck"+id)==0){</Command>
    <Command>trVectorQuestVarSet("SrcObjPos", kbGetBlockPosition("%SrcObject%"));</Command>
    <Command>trVectorQuestVarSet("DstObjPos", kbGetBlockPosition("%DstObject%"));</Command>
    <Command>trVectorQuestVarSet("diff", trVectorQuestVarGet("DstObjPos")-trVectorQuestVarGet("SrcObjPos"));</Command>
    <Command>trQuestVarSet("diffmag",Math_sqrt(trVectorQuestVarGetX("diff")*trVectorQuestVarGetX("diff")+trVectorQuestVarGetY("diff")*trVectorQuestVarGetY("diff")+trVectorQuestVarGetZ("diff")*trVectorQuestVarGetZ("diff")));</Command>
    <Command>trVectorQuestVarSet("diffu", xsVectorSet(trVectorQuestVarGetX("diff")/trQuestVarGet("diffmag"),trVectorQuestVarGetY("diff")/trQuestVarGet("diffmag"),trVectorQuestVarGetZ("diff")/trQuestVarGet("diffmag")));</Command>
    <Command>if(%Power%==1) {</Command>
    <Command>trQuestVarSet("stepx",trVectorQuestVarGetX("SrcObjPos")+%Gain%*trQuestVarGet("diffmag")*trVectorQuestVarGetX("diffu"));</Command>
    <Command>trQuestVarSet("stepy",trVectorQuestVarGetY("SrcObjPos")+%Gain%*trQuestVarGet("diffmag")*trVectorQuestVarGetY("diffu"));</Command>
    <Command>trQuestVarSet("stepz",trVectorQuestVarGetZ("SrcObjPos")+%Gain%*trQuestVarGet("diffmag")*trVectorQuestVarGetZ("diffu"));</Command>
    <Command>} else {</Command>
    <Command>trQuestVarSet("stepx",trVectorQuestVarGetX("SrcObjPos")+%Gain%*Math_pow(trQuestVarGet("diffmag"),%Power%)*trVectorQuestVarGetX("diffu"));</Command>
    <Command>trQuestVarSet("stepy",trVectorQuestVarGetY("SrcObjPos")+%Gain%*Math_pow(trQuestVarGet("diffmag"),%Power%)*trVectorQuestVarGetY("diffu"));</Command>
    <Command>trQuestVarSet("stepz",trVectorQuestVarGetZ("SrcObjPos")+%Gain%*Math_pow(trQuestVarGet("diffmag"),%Power%)*trVectorQuestVarGetZ("diffu"));</Command>
    <Command>}</Command>
    <Command>trUnitTeleport(trQuestVarGet("stepx"),trQuestVarGet("stepy"),trQuestVarGet("stepz"));</Command>
    <Command>if(%Heading%) {</Command>
    <Command>trUnitSetHeading(%HeadingShift%+Math_atan2(trVectorQuestVarGetX("diff"),trVectorQuestVarGetZ("diff"))*180.0/PI);</Command>
    <Command>}</Command>
    <Command>}</Command>
    </Effect>
  • posted 09 January 2010 06:18 PM EDT (US)     18 / 32  
    Rachmaninov alone is reason enough to play this. ^_^

But hey, this looks like alot of fun. Playing by hotkeys alone sounds... different, but still intriguing.

Sweet baby maizes!
    posted 10 January 2010 05:36 AM EDT (US)     19 / 32  
    Great trigger Hail!

Utilities || Map Tool 3.1 Inventory Triggers MP Triggers Comic AoM
    RandomMaps || Mad Supremacy Escape Your Mates Escape
    Scenarios || Bomberman Minigames Y 2.0 Convert & Fight
    Games || Bullet Demo Ball Bouncer 3D
    WRP_Beater: "Meglio una gallina oggi che un uovo domani."
    My name has been misspelled 132 times (Last: BSU_DoLhades Best: Lostrozzabercrombie In a row: 5)
    posted 10 January 2010 10:27 AM EDT (US)     20 / 32  
    This is definitely one of the most interesting concepts I've seen. Good luck!

Hello, my name CHEEZ BIX:
  • Download the beta version of my map, Hero Wars: Godpowers Unleashed!
  • posted 15 January 2010 06:01 AM EDT (US)     21 / 32  
    How's progress going with this?

I know you're busy with work on DoF and other things, but I hope you've still got time to finish this.
    posted 15 January 2010 08:49 AM EDT (US)     22 / 32  
    Too....much....awesomeness...........about....to.......ASPLODE!

1. Perfection is impossible.
    2. Nothing is impossible.
    3. There are always exceptions.
    posted 17 January 2010 01:07 AM EDT (US)     23 / 32  
    A little progress, but not much time for it.

Now that the hotkey cat is out of the bag, I think it's time for me to release these.

There is one very large flaw behind the hotkey effect that perpetual and I released -

The hotkeys that you assign persist even after the scenario ends
    At worst, this will ruin the rest of the games this person plays in the same aom session, at best, it is inconsiderate.
    You can try to remap the hotkeys back to their original functions, but they may leave the scenario unexpectedly, or maybe they have custom hotkeys of their own.

Here is a partial solution to that problem.
    Hotkeys can be mapped in certain "modes", the standard is "game" which means that key only works when you are in a game.
    Some of the other modes are
  • "world" (everywhere)
  • "root" (everywhere except game)
  • "editor"
  • "patrol" (notice that a mouseclick does something different in patrol mode than it does in game mode)
  • "earthquake" (as far as I know, this has nothing to do with earthquake, and is an artifact of an older, unused system)
  • countless other game modes like build, repair, guard, special power, pretty much everything.

So this means you can map a hotkey for the editor, you can map a hotkey to only work when telling a unit to patrol, etc.
    Why would you want to do that?
    Because then the hotkey won't interfere with their regular gameplay.
    Example: if you map Enter to fire a trigger, they play your scenario then go into supremacy, they will no longer be able to chat by hitting Enter.
    But if you map enter to fire a trigger but only in patrol mode, the player will be able to chat from game mode, but not from patrol mode, and they will almost never be in patrol mode.

Here's the kicker, since earthquake mode is seemingly obsolete, the player will never enter that mode in a regular game, so hotkeys mapped in earthquake mode will not be seen again outside your scenario!

Of course, there is one little setback: you need to be in "earthquake" mode, and this does add a few limitations, and some regular game actions (telling villager to repair, build, or casting godpower) will eject you back into game mode. For an entirely hotkey-driven scenario, this is an ideal solution.

So here are two effects: One is Hotkey Event (mode) which looks familiar but has one extra parameter. If you use "game" for the mode, this will be the same as the old one. If you use "earthquake" for the mode, you eliminate the chances of ruining someones game later on.

The second effect is to enter/exit earthquake mode, which will essential enable/disable the earthquaked hotkeys. I do one extra little thing, which is map the mouse button so you can actually click in earthquake mode, because normally you can't. If there are any elements of regular gameplay in your scenario, you can expect that you will need to fire that earthquake mode trigger occasionally.

Depending on your scenario, you may be able to have periods of yes-hotkeys and periods of no-hotkeys so you can turn earthquake on and off, or maybe (like mine) you can leave it in earthquake for the entire game.

<Effect name="Hotkey Event (mode)">
    <Param name="Hotkey" dispName="Hotkey" varType="string">arrowleft</Param>
    <Param name="EventID" dispName="Trigger" varType="event">-1</Param>
    <Param name="Mode" dispName="Game Mode" varType="string">game</Param>
    <Command>map("%Hotkey%","%Mode%","trackInsert(); trackAddWaypoint();trackPlay(-1,%EventID%);");</Command>
    </Effect>

<Effect name="editMode Earthquake">
    <Param name="on" dispName="On or Off" varType="bool">true</Param>
    <Command>if(%on%) {editMode("earthquake");</Command>
    <Command>map("mouse1down", "earthquake", "uiSelectionButtonDown");</Command>
    <Command>map("mouse1up", "earthquake", "uiSelectionButtonUp");</Command>
    <Command>} else {editMode("none");}</Command>
    </Effect>

Here's the tl;dr version.
    Regular hotkeys persist after the game ends. If you map the hotkeys to an obscure game mode like earthquake, they won't interfere with other games.
    Use editMode Earthquake to enter/exit earthquake mode, and Hotkey Event (mode) to map hotkeys in earthquake mode, and your hotkeys will not effect other games.

If you guys try this out and run into any weird side-effects of being in earthquake mode, let me know.

I've uploaded a 4-trigger demo scenario, pending approval.

[This message has been edited by HailToTheOboe (edited 01-17-2010 @ 01:37 AM).]

• posted 17 January 2010 03:40 AM EDT (US)     24 / 32  
    Very nice.

~Guard of Olympus ~
    Dark Times|My work (4.6)|Teaser #2
    posted 17 January 2010 11:54 PM EDT (US)     25 / 32  
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Showcase: Rocmaninov
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to: