Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Showcase: Street King
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 11 January 2010 08:57 PM EDT (US)   

Joe Inderton is a new recruit to the police division. On his first day of the job, nothing seems out of the ordinary.
But a new gang of street racers has been forming in the countryside and city for some time now. So far, it hasn't been a major threat to the safekeeping of the city. But when the traffic of the city starts to become at risk of gang racing, the police must take the matter into their hands.

When Joe and his friend Aaron were patrolling the city, on the watch for any illegal races, they just happen upon one. In a gruesome accident, Aaron is killed, leaving Joe badly injured.
Once the police start to get harmed, the matter becomes extremely serious. But, it seems that there is no way to get to the head of the gang racing without being a challenger. He is too crafty and too good of a driver to get caught by the police.
Evasion after evasion starts to frustrate Joe beyond belief. Now Joe has a burning desire for revenge on the man responsible for the death of his friend.

Joe must now decide between catching the criminal racers of becoming one.

Street King:

Race in multiple different environments!

Choose from a multitude of cars, each with different performance and upgrading characteristics!

Race against computer controlled enemies in a variety of races, including sprint, circuit, coordinate, tag-team, and evasion races!

Here is a short example of the what the BASIC racing will be like. If I ever figure out what I'm supposed to do with Perpetual Noob's trigger, then I'll probably use those for making the car move :P
Plus, I'm going to make the racing more advanced than I showed in the video.

This map is not finished, and many things about it may be changed.

This is a single player game.

This map is done.

Yeebaagooon said to give him credit at the end... so: YEEBAAGOOON UPLOADED THE SILLY PERCENTAGE BAR.

[This message has been edited by Shuch_ya_mouf (edited 01-15-2010 @ 05:07 PM).]

Replies:
posted 11 January 2010 09:01 PM EDT (US)     1 / 38  
You broke the forum tables, it extends horizontally and carries onto the posts like mine.

Also it is difficult to read without highlighting. Redo those parts.

Nice, looks cool. New ideas.

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.
posted 11 January 2010 09:23 PM EDT (US)     2 / 38  
Interesting map, keep it up.

"I NED MOAR RANGE" Pubby8
posted 11 January 2010 09:42 PM EDT (US)     3 / 38  
Is this based on that unfinished scenario you released in your Scenarios That Died pack?

My Work: Zombie Goliath texture mod -- My Screenshots -- Current Projects: Lost In Darkness
Member of: Black Ice Studios
____
|0..0|
||||
posted 11 January 2010 10:01 PM EDT (US)     4 / 38  
Yes, and the original version was just going to be a multiplayer scenario with no storyline... just racing and maybe evading cops. (Maybe turn into flag if you get near cop car, like in mount impossible.) Also, I'm still deciding if I want to go with the original idea of just clicking to move your car, (Then have converting gates in the way to mess you up if you just click on the finish line on the minimap) or if I should use the keys to control the car (I still haven't figured out how to do that).
posted 11 January 2010 10:21 PM EDT (US)     5 / 38  
Key controlled movement needs xs user code effects but it's not that bad

I think I told you this a while ago but add the Trojan horse! It's a much better vehicle than the catapult!

Is this even the sAme map? It looks much improved
posted 11 January 2010 11:57 PM EDT (US)     6 / 38  
I made a hotkey powered shifting car not too long ago. If you went too fast you would spin out on ice or if you went too slow you wouldn't make a jump.

ValorStudios
<==========]==0
posted 12 January 2010 03:37 PM EDT (US)     7 / 38  
The Trojan horse isn't a very good vehicle THYMOLE... It looks stupid :P but even if I did put it in there, I could still use the catapult, because I didn't say those were the only cars you can have
"choose from a multitude of cars"

And yes, it is the same map, I just changed it a little bit. There is a small town in that field/plain area, and I'm going to make it bigger.

But you can tell this is a great game because of the tire tracks that I put in there using paint xD

[This message has been edited by Shuch_ya_mouf (edited 01-12-2010 @ 08:13 PM).]

posted 12 January 2010 04:42 PM EDT (US)     8 / 38  
Looks good Shuch_ya_mouf. I'm sure it will be a heavily downloaded scenario when you finish it.

I was working on a racing game not that long ago after HailToTheOboe showed some cool hotkey, unit movement and camera tricks.

Your scenario looks much better than the ones I made. I was only using the Fire Siphon with a race against the clock instead of opponents, there was no storyline and my eyecandy was only so-so.

If you want to use hotkeys to control the vehicles check Map Arrow Keys to Event in the CASTWCRT thread. That's what I used in my scenarios.

To make sure the player went around the track I had converting flags as check points so even if you just went straight to the finish line it wouldn't count as a completed lap unless you'd converted enough flags.

I was going to put several tracks/scenarios into a campaign and include a template blank map (except for the start/finish line) that had all the triggering done so people could create their own playable race tracks but I only got around to making 3 tracks from the template so I never released it (plus I was going to wait until HailToTheOboe released Rocmaninov because I borrowed some of the custom camera effects and stuff he used in that and I didn't want to steal his thunder).

Anyway, enough rambling from me. I look forward to seeing your finished scenario. Good work Shuch_ya_mouf.
posted 12 January 2010 09:38 PM EDT (US)     9 / 38  
It appears that this doesn't work for this scenario... If you have ever played a racing game with a non-eliptical track, then you will know why Perpetual Noob. Because in this one, the track goes all over the place. So, when I press the up key, it moves my army towards a certain spot on the map... But, if there are 2 points on the race track that are closest to this point, then the closer one will be where the unit will always go to get to that point. So, if that closer point happens to be farther back in the race than the other point, the car will keep going backwards if you turn "up."
posted 12 January 2010 10:29 PM EDT (US)     10 / 38  
Then your target move point will need to be closer to the vehicle itself, so it doesn't get placed on the other side of obstacles, so that you always move in a straight line towards the waypoint flag.
posted 12 January 2010 10:55 PM EDT (US)     11 / 38  
Is it possible to attach different units to another unit, but put them each on different sides of the unit like in this diagram?

That way if you do the Right arrow, it goes towards that unit at the right... but since the unit stays at the right, then it moves with the original unit,so it goes in a constant circle. But, I'm betting this isn't possible...
posted 12 January 2010 11:07 PM EDT (US)     12 / 38  
Look at my rocmaninov thread, or the hotkey movement thread
You can certainly use teleport to position units like that, but you don't really need to.

[This message has been edited by HailToTheOboe (edited 01-12-2010 @ 11:09 PM).]

posted 13 January 2010 12:22 PM EDT (US)     13 / 38  
Like Oboe said, you just need to shorten the move distance to get the hotkey driving to work.

Here's what my scenario looks like -

As you can see it's fairly basic and needs a bit of eyecandy work but the hotkey controls for driving around a winding track are in place.

The trigger set up to control the Fire Siphon was something like this -

Trigger - Set_Up
[X] Active
[_] Loop
[X] Run Immediately
Priority = High

Condition
Always

Effects
Activate Trigger Loader

Map Arrow Keys to Event
Up Arrow = Up_Arrow
Down Arrow = Down_Arrow
Left Arrow = Left_Arrow
Right Arrow = Right_Arrow

Modify ProtoUnit - set the units speed to 0
ProtoUnit = Fire Siphon
Player = 1
Field = Speed
Var Name Delta = Speed
Delta = -3

Trigger - Move_Loop
[X] Active
[X] Loop
[_] Run Immediately
Priority = High

Condition
Timer ms
Milliseconds = 16

Effects
Move in Direction TL
Unit = Unit to Control
Angle = +trQuestVarGet("Heading")+
Distance = 5.0
Attack Move = false

Camera Cut Object
Unit = Unit to Control

Trigger - Left_Arrow
[_] Active
[_] Loop
[_] Run Immediately
Priority = High

Condition
Always

Effects
Quest Var Modify
Var Name = Heading
Operator = -
Value = 5

Conditional Quest Var Check
Var Name = Heading
Operator is < (less than)
Value = 0

Quest Var Modify
Var Name = Heading
Operator = +
Value = 360

Conditional End

Unit Heading QV
Unit = Unit to Control
Var Name = Heading

Trigger - Right_Arrow
[_] Active
[_] Loop
[_] Run Immediately
Priority = High

Condition
Always

Effects
Quest Var Modify
Var Name = Heading
Operator = +
Value = 5

Var Name = Heading
Operator is > (greater than)
Value = 360

Quest Var Modify
Var Name = Heading
Operator = -
Value = 360

Conditional End

Unit Heading QV
Unit = Unit to Control
Var Name = Heading

Trigger - Up_Arrow
[_] Active
[_] Loop
[_] Run Immediately
Priority = High

Condition
Always

Effects
Quest Var Modify
Var Name = Speed
Operator = +
Value = 1

Modify ProtoUnit
ProtoUnit = Fire Siphon
Player = 1
Field = Speed
Delta = 1

Var Name = Speed
Operator is > (greater than)
Value = 20

Quest Var Modify
Var Name = Speed
Operator = -
Value = 1

Modify ProtoUnit
ProtoUnit = Fire Siphon
Player = 1
Field = Speed
Delta = -1

Conditional End

Trigger - Down_Arrow
[_] Active
[_] Loop
[_] Run Immediately
Priority = High

Condition
Always

Effects
Quest Var Modify
Var Name = Speed
Operator = -
Value = 1

Modify ProtoUnit
ProtoUnit = Fire Siphon
Player = 1
Field = Speed
Delta = -1

Var Name = Speed
Operator is < (less than)
Value = 0

Quest Var Modify
Var Name = Speed
Operator = +
Value = 1

Modify ProtoUnit
ProtoUnit = Fire Siphon
Player = 1
Field = Speed
Delta = 1

Conditional End

Things you'll need -
Map Arrow Keys to Event
Heading QV
Move in Direction TL
Trigger Loader
Camera Cut Object and Conditionals from Nottud's trigger file

[This message has been edited by perpetual_n00b (edited 01-18-2010 @ 12:48 PM).]

posted 13 January 2010 12:58 PM EDT (US)     14 / 38  
That's awesome .

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
posted 13 January 2010 01:08 PM EDT (US)     15 / 38  
posted 13 January 2010 02:32 PM EDT (US)     16 / 38  
the whole idea makes me rofl.

Anyway, love it, if you get this done, I might get back again to play online on AoM....

gl with it

KingUndergroundKing
posted 13 January 2010 06:22 PM EDT (US)     17 / 38  
Wow perpetual... That is much better than MY gameplay... you should help me on this :P I can email you the scenario, and we could work together on this whole project if you want to.
Whaddaya say?
Either way, you and oboe are gonna get a lot of credit on this map. :P

Oh, and you just gave me a good idea... I was making it so that there were invisible walls along the edges, so that you couldn't go onto a part of the track that wasn't for the race. Now, I should just use checkpoints and you have to touch them, with maybe some arrows pointing in the direction of the track you're supposed to choose.

[This message has been edited by Shuch_ya_mouf (edited 01-13-2010 @ 07:06 PM).]

posted 13 January 2010 07:00 PM EDT (US)     18 / 38  
This would be so much fun on ESO, but you'll have a hard time getting the hotkeys working online.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? - Einstein, A.
Master XS - AoM Code Reference - Trigger Loader - Trigger Requests - Chess

Wow, I never thought that I would actually know something before nottud did... it's actually not all that satisfying ~ Steak
posted 13 January 2010 07:31 PM EDT (US)     19 / 38  
Yeah...I copied your trigger stuff and put it into the scenario... But the up and down keys dont work when I try it, and when I press left, it rotates left, but when I press right, it rotates left too. And I have no idea what I did wrong.
posted 13 January 2010 10:52 PM EDT (US)     20 / 38  
posted 14 January 2010 07:17 AM EDT (US)     21 / 38  
Whoops, my mistake. I've corrected that error Oboe pointed out and a couple of other minor things in my previous post.

I could probably take a look at your scenario and help you get the movement working, I'm not sure how much help I could give beyond that.

Here's some things you can do to test it out -
UP and DOWN arrows should just affect the units speed, you can test this by using the mouse to move it around.
- If it moves before you press UP then the set up trigger didn't work correctly (it sets the speed to 0)
- If you press UP once, move the unit with the mouse and it moves slowly then press DOWN once and the unit stops that means UP and DOWN are working correctly

If UP and DOWN work correctly then the problem is most likely with the looping trigger with the Move in Direction effect in it.

Move in Direction is an effect that needs the trigger loader loaded, if it's not loaded correctly then Move in Direction won't work.

Did you create the triggers in the order shown? The trigger loader needs to be in a trigger created before any trigger that makes use of it, preferably it should go in the first trigger created in a scenario.
posted 14 January 2010 07:15 PM EDT (US)     22 / 38  
Ok, perpetual... I still couldn't get the trigger to work, even when I deleted every trigger and redid the whole thing. If you can fix this, I would really appreciate it. Do you want me to email it to you, or can you get onto ESO online?
posted 14 January 2010 07:30 PM EDT (US)     23 / 38  
Effects
Move in Direction TL
Unit = Unit to Control
Angle = 0.0
Distance = 5.0
Attack Move = false
I believe the Angle there should be the Heading QV, not 0, but apart from that no problems are jumping out at me.
posted 14 January 2010 08:08 PM EDT (US)     24 / 38  
You know what would be awesome? If you found a way to slow down the siege vehicles when they went off the road.

Meh
posted 14 January 2010 09:41 PM EDT (US)     25 / 38  
that reminds me, fight- How did you get those dust things on the road perpetual? Was it just a random loop army deploy for a dust SFX or something?

Also, did you include the effect that causes the camera to turn with the rotation of the car in the trigger setup you posted?

[This message has been edited by Shuch_ya_mouf (edited 01-14-2010 @ 09:43 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Showcase: Street King
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: