loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: June 2010
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 06 June 2010 09:10 PM EDT (US)   

DOWNLOAD HERE

For those without computers.
Not all of this trailer represents true gameplay footage

It's a scenario idea that is nearly as old as Age of Mythology itself... but our triggering capabilities have come a long way since 2003, so expect a little something different.

There have been giant-dwarf soccer scenarios since the very beginning, so I'm not even going to pretend to try to take credit for the idea.

This is 2v2 multiplayer scenario where each person controls one mountain giant, and tries to kick a dwarf into the opposing team's net. Play until the clock runs out, and if the score is still tied the game enters sudden death overtime or the classic street hockey rule of "last goal wins".

This game differs from its predecessors in that it is entirely hotkey controlled.
  • up arrow - move forward
  • down arrow - stop moving
  • left arrow - turn left
  • right arrow - turn right
  • spacebar - kick the ball
  • z - dribble the ball

The arrows correspond with directions relative to your giants heading, notdirections on the screen. These are first-person controls.

In multiplayer, there is a small time delay when using hotkeys. I've worked to minimize the effect of the delay, but still, you will almost always have more control if you move with single touches instead of holding the keys down.
    Kicking and dribbling automatically aligns your heading towards the ball, so you don't need to worry about fine adjustment. Z, for dribbling, is a multi-purpose ball-handling key. It's used to stop the ball and push it a few steps in front of you. You can use it for short passes, running circles around the opposition like AkA_LoveXX, and intercepting or blocking shots.

These hotkeys will not effect you in supremacy or other games after the scenario ends, because the entire scenario is played in "earthquake" context, a game mode that is otherwise unused in age of mythology.

If you have any computer players, there is a basic AI included so they will play. They may not be too creative, but they do get the job done.

When hosting on ESO, player 5 (the ball) should be a computer. Teams don't matter, it is always 1+2 vs 3+4.

DOWNLOAD HERE

[This message has been edited by HailToTheOboe (edited 07-25-2010 @ 12:10 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 06 June 2010 10:50 PM EDT (US)     1 / 46  
    Amazing, I have seen this before. I hope ye can make it really good. Invisible walls and all that. I would play this for sure.

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
    Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
    Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
    Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
    6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.
    posted 06 June 2010 11:12 PM EDT (US)     2 / 46  
    This is epic, truely awesome, i bet it would be a monument to how far we have come in this forum. Not that i would know iv only been here for a bit.

"I NED MOAR RANGE" Pubby8
    posted 06 June 2010 11:31 PM EDT (US)     3 / 46  
    Fade to black.
    posted 07 June 2010 05:49 AM EDT (US)     4 / 46  
    That's amazing. But contradictory. It looks like it's a multiplayer scenario, but I see animations and how would you overcome two players using the same/different hotkeys?

Nevertheless, a true stroke of genius (as always). I have no idea how you got the dwarf to twirl in mid air, but I'm guessing an under map shot with either tornado or the dwarf continually rotating in the editor using the rotation button tools and not pressing stop as this can carry to the scenario.

Or is it just a nice youtube vid ?

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
    ____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
    "You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
    "Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
    AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
    Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
    posted 07 June 2010 10:20 AM EDT (US)     5 / 46  
    Amazing, I have seen this before. I hope ye can make it really good. Invisible walls and all that. I would play this for sure.
    There have been countless soccer scenarios and rms over the years, so I don't want to take credit for the idea, but it seems that none of them have caught on as a mainstream multiplayer minigame, so I'm giving it another shot.
    My main goal is making a simple, fun, vanilla multiplayer scenario (it will work in AOT as well). Since Xamo, Matei, and TOS, there have been only a handful of vanilla multiplayer scenarios with significant triggering, and none really catch on.
    This is epic, truely awesome, i bet it would be a monument to how far we have come in this forum.
    Haha, not really. The trailer probably took longer to make than the scenario itself. It's just a bit of fun.
    Fade to black.
    That's amazing. But contradictory. It looks like it's a multiplayer scenario, but I see animations and how would you overcome two players using the same/different hotkeys?
    The trailer may contain choreographed dramatizations that are not true gameplay video maybe.
    Multiplayer hotkeys are a little different, but not hard. invent00r, nottud, SoV, AuroraP, lostrozzacavalli have all done them before I believe.
    It is not technically difficult, but the controls respond very differently online than in single player. In order to make it manageable, I've made a dynamic control damping system. Rookies still tend to overturn a bit, but it's not too hard to get a feel for it now.
    Nevertheless, a true stroke of genius (as always). I have no idea how you got the dwarf to twirl in mid air, but I'm guessing an under map shot with either tornado or the dwarf continually rotating in the editor using the rotation button tools and not pressing stop as this can carry to the scenario.
    I had a cyclops throw a dwarf off a very high cliff, and all the rest was camera work, following the dwarf with changing roll and heading (see post 2250 of TRT).
    For some reason the cyclops has a better spiral than a mountain giant.

I will update the main post with some more info fairly soon.

[This message has been edited by HailToTheOboe (edited 06-07-2010 @ 10:35 AM).]

posted 07 June 2010 10:35 AM EDT (US)     6 / 46  
    Ha ha, Hail. As always, an engrossing video. I also really enjoyed seeing you throw in your previous artwork. The slo-mo flying dwarves were epic.

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
    Find the blood inside this stone
    Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
    I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
    posted 07 June 2010 10:59 AM EDT (US)     7 / 46  
    Cool, nice to know you're getting cyclops throwing small people off mountains in your spare time.
    Multiplayer hotkeys are a little different, but not hard. invent00r, nottud, SoV, AuroraP, lostrozzacavalli have all done them before I believe.
    Ah yes of course, SOV cleverly did it with armies.

Certainly a great use of some of your best screenshots too.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
    "You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
    "Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
    AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
    posted 07 June 2010 11:12 AM EDT (US)     8 / 46  
    My phone can't read whTever else is there than the text.
    Is it soccer?
    posted 07 June 2010 11:20 AM EDT (US)     9 / 46  
    Wow awesome video Hail

Hotkeys online tend to respond about half a second later but a game like this should be possible, except, well, when I tried the movement thing with hotkeys it was a bit wierd, I think you'll have to do some tries.

Utilities || Map Tool 3.1 Inventory Triggers MP Triggers Comic AoM
    RandomMaps || Mad Supremacy Escape Your Mates Escape
    Scenarios || Bomberman Minigames Y 2.0 Convert & Fight
    Games || Bullet Demo Ball Bouncer 3D
    WRP_Beater: "Meglio una gallina oggi che un uovo domani."
    My name has been misspelled 132 times (Last: BSU_DoLhades Best: Lostrozzabercrombie In a row: 5)
    posted 07 June 2010 11:44 AM EDT (US)     10 / 46  
    My phone can't read whTever else is there than the text.
    Is it soccer?
    Yes, it's a multiplayer, hotkey controlled soccer game.

Can you go on youtube with your phone?
    If yes, check this link -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPr5_bkSIms (Hopefully you can see this txt link)
    If no, get yourself to a computer so you can check it out
    posted 07 June 2010 11:46 AM EDT (US)     11 / 46  
    This. Is. Epic.

castwcrt rip 2010-2010
    posted 07 June 2010 02:06 PM EDT (US)     12 / 46  
    I also really enjoyed seeing you throw in your previous artwork
    Recycling. I needed some filler, and I thought those screens worked well and saved me effort of making new ones.
    Hotkeys online tend to respond about half a second later but a game like this should be possible, except, well, when I tried the movement thing with hotkeys it was a bit wierd, I think you'll have to do some tries
    Yes, the time delay is the problem. When you are looping the event, there is a time delay on the first one, and the rest fire continuously.

I've been testing it online and tweaking it over the last week or so, and I'm pretty comfortable with it now. A rookie will struggle in his first game, but it does not take long to learn. The last half of the video is recorded from actual testing with real people, so there are at least a few people (besides me) who can competently handle the ball.

Originally I just did it like this:

hotkey -> heading + 15 -> move in direction

And it worked beautifully in single player, but in multiplayer it looked like binocular soccer.

The natural thing to do is to press the key and hold it until you turn far enough, and then let go. Because of the time delay, at first you don't appear to be turning so you keep holding the key down, then suddenly you take a huge spin and overshoot by a mile. Same thing happens when you try to get back on course.

If you controlled by gently tapping instead of holding it was manageable, but barely. The turns were pretty slow, and it is not intuitive.

So I modified the controls to get a compromise between turning radius and response time, and I'm pretty happy with it. I may make a few more small tweaks before official release, but it is mostly working.

I've got keys for moving, turning, stopping, dribbling, and kicking. I'm still working on diving and rolling around in pain to draw fouls.

[This message has been edited by HailToTheOboe (edited 06-07-2010 @ 02:12 PM).]

posted 07 June 2010 02:59 PM EDT (US)     13 / 46  
    looks great =) keep up the great work oboe

epicnes especially when the crowd follows the ball lol

Huns design team -_-
    dunno if its still alive or not ='_'=

[This message has been edited by Immortal_Shade (edited 06-07-2010 @ 03:05 PM).]

posted 07 June 2010 04:28 PM EDT (US)     14 / 46  
    You should add teams like English, French, Italian and German. And maybe have an intro with the teams coming out through gates and having their national anthems play.

Current scenarios working on:
    104th SOAP, Plants vs. Zombies (paused), Sovothym RPG
    Scenario guarantee: I will NEVER include foul language in my games. AoM is a T rated game, for violence. Let's keep it that way.
    posted 07 June 2010 10:06 PM EDT (US)     15 / 46  
    posted 08 June 2010 03:00 AM EDT (US)     16 / 46  
    Have you considered maybe using cyclopses as goalkeepers so that they can pick up the ball?

░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░
    posted 08 June 2010 08:05 AM EDT (US)     17 / 46  
    But the trouble is a cyclops throw kills the unit.

posted 08 June 2010 10:32 AM EDT (US)     18 / 46  
    You should add teams like English, French, Italian and German. And maybe have an intro with the teams coming out through gates and having their national anthems play.
    I'm avoiding all cinematic intros in the multiplayer version in the interest of maximizing playing time. In a singleplayer version, I may do something like this. It's a nice idea.

The first soccer map I remember playing (Larmir's I think?) had a cinematic intro with team names like "Midgard Menace" and "Anatolia Hotspurs".
    Do the crowds scream when you score?
    They go nuts when you score, and they even roar in anticipation as the ball creeps near the goal line, even if it does not go in.
    Have you considered maybe using cyclopses as goalkeepers so that they can pick up the ball?
    I considered it, and also considered Polyphemus, but opted for the convenience of a giants (and dwarves) only league.

I considered a hockey scenario using Polyphemus, but in vanilla I can't reduce his recharge time.

The first release will be multiplayer only. I would like to make a later release for singleplayer, once I can teach the computer how to think.
    posted 08 June 2010 10:58 AM EDT (US)     19 / 46  
    once I teach the computer how to think.
    Very evil genius of you.
    By the way could you post the effect you used to make the dwarf go up in the air? I have a certain minigame and that trigger would be really useful.

Current scenarios working on:
    104th SOAP, Plants vs. Zombies (paused), Sovothym RPG
    Scenario guarantee: I will NEVER include foul language in my games. AoM is a T rated game, for violence. Let's keep it that way.
    posted 08 June 2010 11:12 AM EDT (US)     20 / 46  
    posted 08 June 2010 11:27 AM EDT (US)     21 / 46  
    Too bad implode sphere is not in vanilla. I could make you a real bouncing ball system using teleport if you were to make a single user version.

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
    Find the blood inside this stone
    Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
    I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
    posted 08 June 2010 11:32 AM EDT (US)     22 / 46  
    posted 15 June 2010 08:30 PM EDT (US)     23 / 46  
    I'm adding some triggers so the AI should be capable of playing a giant if there is no human in control.
    They won't be the next Maradona or Pélé, but they're already better than Green. The main plan is for this to be multiplayer, but I want it to be functional in single player, and occasionally put the odd comp in multiplayer for some reason.

So this leads me to my next idea.

Would people like to trigger their own giant soccer AIs, and pit them against each other in some sort of competition?

You'd use triggers to decide when/where to move, when/where to kick, and when/where to dribble. No hax like making the dwarf run straight into the net, all based around my current kick/dribble triggers.

Any interest?
    posted 16 June 2010 00:13 AM EDT (US)     24 / 46  
    Be sure to include the VUVUZELO, and make it so that it is reallly hard to play the game.
    posted 16 June 2010 04:38 AM EDT (US)     25 / 46  
    Nooo not that bastardly annoying vuvuzela's. Jeez i hate them..
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » June 2010
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames