Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoM Danmaku [Showcase]
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 23 November 2012 11:41 AM EDT (US)   

A single player top down shooter scenario by Zenophobia

~=~=~=~ Story ~=~=~=~

In an ancient and forgotten land, there lived four nations, Fire, Water, Wind, and Earth, who lived peacefully under the protection and guidance of the nation of Light. But one day, Darkness took over, and the nations fell one by one. The Darkness then created a creature of Darkness to control each nation and enslave its people. Finally, the nation of Light knew they had to act. They chose to send a warrior of great prowess to suppress the evil.
They chose to send you...

~=~=~=~ What’s this? ~=~=~=~

This is a danmaku shooter game in Age of Mythology. Danmaku roughly means “bullet curtain” in Japanese. In other words, this is a top-down dodge the bullets shooter game.
A lot of bullets.

That’s just the beginning. >=D
Anyways...

~=~=~=~ Gameplay~=~=~=~

-The gameplay is simple. Use your mouse to make your character avoid the bullets and attack enemies. Sorry, but no arrowkeys. At first, I wanted to add arrowkeys, but they were too jittery. Later, I changed my mind and wanted to add them, but normal mouse movement was already stuck to this scenario with super AoM glue. Don’t worry. I’ll definitely add hotkeys in the next game.

-If you get hit, you lose a life. (Yeah, no health bars. This is danmaku here. :P) Lose three lives and you will fail to save the nation you are fighting for and must return later to try again.

-Press ‘X’ to activate a bomb, which clears the screen of bullets and damages enemies. You have three bombs per life. When you lose a life, you lose the bombs that came with that life.

~=~=~=~ Features ~=~=~=~

-You may find weapons and armor along the way, which are items that can be picked up. Simply move to them and you will automatically pick up the item. Equipping items will be explained later on.

-There are four stages, one for each nation. In between stages, you are in your interface. In the interface, you can view the world map where you can choose which nation to fight for next. You can also view your inventory where you can equip your character with bows, arrows, and accessories.

-Each nation has at least one boss fight in it where you must dodge intense patterns of bullets and spells. Spells are special patterns of bullets that tend to follow a specific theme. Example: Tornado of Knives. I encourage you to try playing this scenario several times and fighting for the nations in different order, as this will provide you with different patterns of attack/spells from the bosses.

-As you fight, you earn experience and level up to gain higher attack/speed.
~=~=~=~ Gameplay Tips ~=~=~=~

-When you are hit by a bullet, you will hear the sound made by a myth unit being created. You have a very short time frame between when you hear that sound and your actual death where you can use a bomb to save your life.

-Don’t run from bullets. If a massive wall of arrows comes at you, don’t try to run from it like one of my playtesters did. The longer you run from the bullets, the longer they are a threat to you. Instead of running, stand your ground and dodge the bullets. Once they pass you, they’re no longer a threat (most of the time. >=D).

-Your character is set to aggressive stance. Keep control of him at all times.
~=~=~=~ Technical Tips ~=~=~=~

-The character is unresponsive to commands given near the bottom of the screen. (The area that would be black in a cinematic)

-The character may be slow to your move commands when attacking. If you give him a move command while he is in the middle of an attack, he will finish the attack before he moves and you may end up being hit by a bullet. To counter this, give your character move commands earlier.

-If you order your character to attack an enemy and all he does is just move forward an inch and then stop, don’t worry. That means that he is out of range. Simply move him closer and order the attack again.

~=~=~=~ Technical Notes ~=~=~=~

-You can't pause the game or open the menu because the UI is hidden. To leave the game, press escape. HOWEVER, once you have left, you can't go back. You have to start over.

-Please don't rotate the camera. It will make the game very weird.

-If you have a crappy computer, don’t attempt hard or titan mode. Here’s a reason why. In fact, no one should try titan mode. This is for their own sake. I don’t want anyone dying of heart attacks because they were trying my scenario on titan mode.

-At the beginning of the scenario, it asks your screen size ratio: either 4x3, which refers to 1600x1200, 1024x768, 800x600, 640x480, etc. or 5x4, which refers to 1280x1024. If you have a widescreen computer and have a widescreen setting in AoM, it is best to change it to one of the resolutions listed above (the default AoM resolutions). This is for certain spells where bullets bounce off walls.

-If you play this scenario, please play it as the first scenario you play when you open AoM. This is because of some strange glitches passing over from other scenarios. For example, after I played Bomberman by lostrozzacavalli, I started this scenario and noticed strange things such as garrison flags appearing where they weren’t supposed to and such. I suspect this has something to do with the fact that his scenario uses some advanced XS User code, and it somehow messed up the overall coding, similar to how hotkeys carry over to other scenarios. I also played another one of my scenarios before this one and different glitches resulted. For the best performance, please play this scenario as the first scenario you play when you open AoM.

~=~=~=~ Progress ~=~=~=~

Need I say more?

~=~=~=~ Special thanks to... ~=~=~=~

HailtoTheOboe’s TPQ trigger pack

AoMHeaven and its awesome community for keeping this game alive.

Tasterix and his eyecandy guide.

Perpetual n00b, lostrozzacavali (?), Lewonas, and everyone else that helped post my desired triggers in the Trigger Request Thread.

Green Turtle and his LB trigger pack.

Nottud and all his creations.

Ensemble Studios, for creating Age of Mythology

All my playtesters. Without them, you'd be stepping on random land mines, facing enemies with 90% instead of 9% pierce armor, and wondering why the heck half the scenario was impossible.

And everyone else that I forgot to mention.

~=~=~=~Extras~=~=~=~

This scenario comes with a tutorial scenario which I highly recommend anyone who downloads this to play.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
UPDATE 01

-On Moderate, Hard, and Titan mode: Reduced number of lives to two.

-Fixed bug where all of the units in the Nation of Fire were disappearing

-Increased difficulty on the Final Spell of the Nation of Water

-Fixed bug where players could potentially teleport onto impassible terrain upon defeating a boss.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 12-29-2012 @ 06:27 PM).]

Replies:
posted 23 November 2012 02:57 PM EDT (US)     1 / 31  
Gosh, this is amazing. It's good to see a very high quality scenario coming out every once and a while.
posted 23 November 2012 03:01 PM EDT (US)     2 / 31  
holy f***.

dude you are a beast. for some reason tho i think you're a bit underrated. I think its because you dont post much in the forums but dude, this s*** deserves to be acknowledged in someway, along with you. I know whats it like putting in the countless amount of time to create something like this. Very inspiring.

posted 23 November 2012 06:05 PM EDT (US)     3 / 31  
Wow, that looks amazing.
When it is released I think I will stay on easy mode. Some of the boss fights look impossible. Do you need to click to make the unit move or does it follow the mouse (One of the screen shots suggests it is click)?
posted 23 November 2012 06:50 PM EDT (US)     4 / 31  
You have to click, sorry. It makes the game a lot harder.

posted 24 November 2012 00:11 AM EDT (US)     5 / 31  
What happened here
[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 04-32-2094 @ 010:60 AM).]
I didn't know it was 2094, that there is a month with 32 days or even that time is measured in hundreds of hours with more than 60 minutes.

Did you use the guardian (sleeping or something) for the effect behind the title?

[This message has been edited by scragins (edited 11-24-2012 @ 00:13 AM).]

posted 24 November 2012 00:23 AM EDT (US)     6 / 31  
You wanna tell him Zen?

I actually had something like that for a while too.

posted 24 November 2012 02:48 AM EDT (US)     7 / 31  
What happened here
I didn't know it was 2094, that there is a month with 32 days or even that time is measured in hundreds of hours with more than 60 minutes.
I'm not sure if you're joking, or you fell for it, but Zenophobia put that in himself. Just below it is the real editing date.
I think...that or it's witchcraft! Burn the imposter!
posted 24 November 2012 03:49 AM EDT (US)     8 / 31  
That's nice! Looking forward to using my spare time on this.

Leader and Trigger Artist of Mythic Studios
I need players for my Peloponnesian War RPG (Its Semi-Historical)
Now quit being a bitch and quote me in your signature like Yeebaagooon used to. ~Out Reach
posted 24 November 2012 06:57 AM EDT (US)     9 / 31  
lol I thought it would take longer for you to see this, hades. I guess now you'll be on the lookout for when it comes out, right?
What happened here
I'm pretty sure you already know, but that's my sig. XD

posted 24 November 2012 11:05 AM EDT (US)     10 / 31  
about moving units with arrow keys, maybe this could be of some use to you:-

http://liquidfirestudios.com/downloads/?did=3
posted 24 November 2012 11:24 AM EDT (US)     11 / 31  
thanks, but I already know how to move units with hotkeys.

posted 24 November 2012 11:54 AM EDT (US)     12 / 31  
Haha nice, I'll have to download that one and give it a try
posted 24 November 2012 09:40 PM EDT (US)     13 / 31  
Ok. When I noticed it I checked it with the edit date in the OP and matched the font sizes so I was like "seems legit, lets make a post about it".

You still haven't told me if you used the guardian blue colour behind the showcase title.
posted 25 November 2012 07:01 AM EDT (US)     14 / 31  
lol i didn't even realize that.

And yes, those are shrunken guardians behind that title.

posted 02 December 2012 01:31 AM EDT (US)     15 / 31  
Cazzo, that looks pretty epic!

LSNDBVWAEKRBN Ar eopogn[oaewgq.[ mb

Sorry, I just couldn't think of anything to say so I just spazzed my keyboard.

Anyways, looks FANTASTIC! I had to even capitilize every letter in that word it looks so great!

Current Projects:
Legends of Middle-Earth 5.0 LoME Spring 2021 Update!Legend of Zelda V1.1 Modpackpack Released! Have a nice day.
posted 23 December 2012 04:15 PM EDT (US)     16 / 31  
Soo... if I said this scenario was open for playtest, would anyone actually be interested?

posted 23 December 2012 08:28 PM EDT (US)     17 / 31  
Yes.

In the mythic world, great deities resolve their conflicts, with words like:

Tornadoes, Meteor showers, and Tartarian Gates.

Who will prevail?
posted 23 December 2012 09:50 PM EDT (US)     18 / 31  
Sweet. What's your email?

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 12-23-2012 @ 09:50 PM).]

posted 24 December 2012 02:29 AM EDT (US)     19 / 31  
Check my profile.

In the mythic world, great deities resolve their conflicts, with words like:

Tornadoes, Meteor showers, and Tartarian Gates.

Who will prevail?
posted 24 December 2012 05:13 AM EDT (US)     20 / 31  
Thanks for giving me this to playtest

I will inform you all now, it takes a bit of getting used to, but once you get past all the small frustrations and become pretty decent at it, the game is very unique and I dont think I have ever played anything quite like it

Leader and Trigger Artist of Mythic Studios
I need players for my Peloponnesian War RPG (Its Semi-Historical)
Now quit being a bitch and quote me in your signature like Yeebaagooon used to. ~Out Reach
posted 24 December 2012 07:09 AM EDT (US)     21 / 31  
No, hades, thank you for playtesting.

posted 26 December 2012 07:39 AM EDT (US)     22 / 31  
MWUAHAHAHAHA. TIS DONE!

anyways... there's two things I forgot to mention in the showcase:
-You can't pause the game or open the menu because the UI is hidden. To leave the game, press escape. HOWEVER, once you have left, you can't go back. You have to start over.

-Please don't rotate the camera. It will make the game very weird.

Go download it now!

posted 26 December 2012 11:37 AM EDT (US)     23 / 31  
BEST... SCENARIO... EVER!

No kidding man, I've never had so much fun playing a scenario. It was very challenging, it was intense, the special spells were ridiculous (in a very good way), and the triggers... oh man all those triggers. However, I do have to criticize on five (minor) things:

1. One spell of the final boss in the fire stage didn't work at all. I think it was the second spell. The boss just stood idle in the middle of the arena and absolutely nothing happened.

2. The poison arrow + stymphalean bird (however you spell it) combo is far too powerful. The bird shoots three projectiles which cause very high damage + the extra poison damage from my arrows (and I also think the poison works with the bird's projectiles) absolutely annihilates the bosses. You could basically *cheat* in the boss fights by letting the bird kill the boss while you only focus on dodging the projectiles.

3. The transitions between the "normal boss stage" and the "spell boss stage" seemed to be buggy every now and then. Normally, you go to the spell stage when you have slain the boss in the normal stage. But sometimes the spell stage was loaded even if the boss still had full health left in the normal stage, or if I hit the boss only once (this happened in every boss fight).

4. The bosses have too few health! I regularly killed a boss so fast that the enemy projectiles couldn't even reach my hero. And if they did, I could just use one of my three bombs to destroy them, which leads me to my last point:

5. Three bombs for each stage are far too many. I would either give the player about two / three bombs for the entire game, or give the player one bomb for each stage.

I haven't tried Titan difficulty mode yet though, so some of the points I mentioned may be subject to change. I will try it right now.

edit: OK, nevermind what I said about the bombs. Titan mode is balls hard. O.o

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.
Games I'm playing: The Witness [80%] Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [20%]

[This message has been edited by Lewonas (edited 12-26-2012 @ 11:50 AM).]

posted 26 December 2012 12:39 PM EDT (US)     24 / 31  
haha wow, I never expected such high praise! I'm glad you like it, cuz it took me forever. XD

1. I think that's 'Hunters of Flame' where he summons phoenixes to attack you. They just didn't appear fast enough and you beat him before they showed up. XD

2. Well, the thing is that most AoM players aren't good at these types of games so I sort of need something that helps those players. :/

3. Oh, that happens after the third and fourth spells. You beat their spell and the boss immediately activates another one instead of performing an attack in between.

4. Okay then Titan mode is for you. XD. Not even I can beat Titan mode in one go, without failing a stage. Let's see if you can.

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 12-26-2012 @ 12:39 PM).]

posted 26 December 2012 01:26 PM EDT (US)     25 / 31  
Alright, I have just finished the scenario on Titan difficulty... Holy shitballs that was one of the hardest things I have ever attempted. X_X And yes, I cursed a lot... and I really mean A LOT.
In fact, no one should try titan mode. This is for their own sake.
Quoted for truth!

The water and fire stages weren't that bad though. I completed the water stage in two attempts (the miniboss was pretty annoying because of the limited space where I could move my hero (the dialog at the bottom of the screen blocks your mouse)) and the fire stage in one go. The air stage was a real pain in the ass with hundreds of those huge feathers and ballista shots on the screen. I think I completed that one in 5 attempts.

But dat earth stage. My god. That miniboss was insane. I needed FIVE attempts to kill that little bastard. And when I finally killed it, my hero was teleported on a mountain because my hero was located at the left edge of the screen after I killed the boss (luckily the final boss killed me with his special attack). I also died about 6 or 7 times because something invisible killed me (?). And I killed the final boss in 2 attempts. But that's only because I suddenly received three bombs when I was at the impossible-to-survive-without-bombs final spell stage. That must have been a bug.

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.
Games I'm playing: The Witness [80%] Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [20%]

[This message has been edited by Lewonas (edited 12-26-2012 @ 01:31 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » AoM Danmaku [Showcase]
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: