Topic Subject: Showcase: Vanguard
posted 23 April 2013 02:45 PM EDT (US)   
presents
Milkman Matty's
Vanguard
Click title above to Download

photo screen4-3_zps2fe6e032.jpg

Story
Fleeing from the battle that will soon be called the "War of the Damned", few men from unknown allegiance take shelter in the nearby Frostthorn Forest.

The shattered army of Frostborn retreats to the Dragon's Grasp, a single opening in the great mountain range dividing the North-West from the South-East. Sproutmere, the contending army consisting of mainly Druids and Plaguemages, was by no means geared for the war but somehow managed to secure the upper hand. Sproutmere suffered heavy casualties but slowly pursues the Frostborn army into Dragon's Grasp to ensure utter victory.

The War of the Damned was surprising for world's onlookers as Sproutmere was by no means the predicted winners. The Sproutmere were heavily outnumbered and were sure to lose to the Frostborn army had they not performed a wicked spell. Unknown to the Frostborn the Sproutmere mass-cursed the land before the battle took place skewing the advantage in their favour. This curse was absorbed largely by the Vanguard of the Frostborn army, temporarily phasing them out of the physical plane and forcing their phased forms to evacuate towards the Frostthorn Forest. The Sproutmere where unaware however that the curse had affected unknown numbers of their own Vanguard and chaos for both armies greeted the battle.

It was a time before the affected phased back into the middle of Frostthorn forest. Upon phasing back into the physical plane, all social knowledge, armour and weaponry did not follow and allegiance was impossible to distinguish. The battle was long finished however it did not matter to those in the Frostthorn Forest, for the Ice Mages of Frostborn had intervention in mind. The High-Commander of the Frostborn army, unaware of the Sproutmere's divine curse, was greatly angered at the Vangaurd for abandoning their posts. He commanded that the Ice Mages of Frostborn call upon their deity to imprison all of those that fled into the Frostthorn Forest to a test of ultimate combat to prove their need for existence. And to an extent beyond either armies' recognition this was granted.

The conglomeration of the two army's Vanguards are now trapped with each other in a divine test of rigour and merit. They must build up and reacquire weapons and armour to withstand the onslaught that is to come. Allegiances are unknown as is the length of this torture.

About
Vanguard is a complex map focusing around the protection and survival of yourself especially your Town Center. This simple task is hindered by hordes of enemies periodically rushing to destroy your existence. The longer you stand up against the hordes of enemies the harder it gets to withstand them. You will eventually be overrun and outmatched by the sheer force and technology that the horde possesses.

Distinction
Athough Vanguard is played exactly like any Conquest styled map; it is not a Scenario - Vanguard is a Random Map Script which makes for a very different playstyle. This may seem completely questionable as Random Map Scripts are played as Supremacy by default, however let me elaborate. The last player in Vanguard is placed as and becomes the enemy player, normally an AI this player spawns enemies periodically and sends them into attack the Town Centers. The other players however cannot attack the enemy player's base or approach the spawning area of the enemies, this means you can only defend and not attack. Furthermore, being an RMS you can play with any amount of players, even having AIs as allies because they do actually work pretty well.

Survivalist Mode
Survivalist Mode employs a different set of victory conditions which sets up some backstabbing fun and can be utilized to great extent. This is pretty much Last Man Standing; the last player to have a Town Center still standing is declared the winner. This mode can be enabled by setting the map to Large before generation, however is useless if played Solo. Although this mode is meant to be used when multiple teams for the defenders have been set, it can be enabled even when the defenders are united. This can lead to some interesting results. Defending players may kite an enemy wave right up to the Town Center of a fellow defending player with a single decoy unit, once that unit dies the wave of enemies starts to attack the closest unit - which is the Town Center. Walling can also force enemy units to go other routes to attack players. If a player does die then their Town Center will up for expansion and defending players get the chance at a "second life" so to speak. Players do not have to concede to these rules however, and if playing with the AI or friends and a larger map is wanted then large may be selected and the added Victory Conditions can be ignored. Just make sure that you friends don't back stab you .

Features
  • AI compatibility.

• 8 different difficulties (Easy-Titan SOLO and Easy-Titan Multiplayer).

• Start with a beefed up Kastor depending on difficulty

• A 4 season probability (Summer, Autumn, Winter, Spring).

• Survivalist Mode.

• Epic Sound files utilized.

• Random Defensive/Offensive map layout.

Screenshots
*Please note that there is a fair bit of terrain variation and the Winter season does exist, my poor screenshot abilities do not show justice*

photo screen4-3_zps2fe6e032.jpg
Playing SOLO
Playing with several AIs

100% Complete
percent complete

Release Date: RELEASED!

Changelog since Second Release:
=====================================
Enemy Player:
star (v2.12) Waves now spawn the correct amount of enemies every time.
star (v2.12) Some units have been moved between rounds, to make it progressive.
star (v2.12) Tower protecting the computer has been moved south by 1%
star (v2.12) Waves now have a 60 second base cooldown between waves, this is decreased over time.
star (v2.12) The computer player now no longer benefits from the AI detection bonuses.
star (v2.27) The Nidhogg spawn location for each player is now randomized every generate.
star (v2.27) Removed the increase to the number of enemy units spawned in round 5.
star (v2.27) Revamped the technologies granted at the start of each round for the enemy player.

Trigger code:
star (v2.12) Changed the way that triggers are inserted into the trigger code.
star (v2.12) Changed the way that Cataphracts are spawned.
star (v2.12) Buffs added to Cataphracts progressively over the game.
star (v2.12) Buffs to Town Centre's added every 10 minutes tweaked.
star (v2.12) Delayed some of the text.
star (v2.12) More changes between difficulties.
star (v2.12) Start times decreased by about 66% for all difficulties.
star (v2.12) Solo Buffer time halved to 90 seconds.
star (v2.12) Removed some of the AI recognition chat messages.
star (v2.16) Added in extra human soldiers to round 5.
star (v2.16) Fixed up bugs in getUnitAllowed.
star (v2.16) Modified selectRandomUnusedUnitFromRound functionality.
star (v2.27) Removed setAllUnitAllowed, setUnitAllowed and getUnitAllowed.
star (v2.27) Changed selectRandomUnusedUnitFromRound to selectRandomUnitFromRound.
star (v2.27) Changed randWave to randomizeWave.
star (v2.27) Changed Cataphracts to Kastor. Changed number spawned from 2 to 1.
star (v2.27) Modified Kastor at all difficulties: He reflects the difficulty that he is in.

Map code:
star (v2.12) Changed defensive to have more trees by shortening the distance (to 6.0) required between objects.
star (v2.12) Defensive extra gold decreased significantly.
star (v2.12) Overall map gold spawned decreased.
star (v2.12) More changes between seasons:
star (v2.12) Summer (Normal Map, Chickens spawned, Medium Gold, Medium Herd, Medium Hunt)
star (v2.12) Autumn (Always Defensive, Medium Gold, High Herd, Low Hunt)
star (v2.12) Winter (High Predators;possible extra starting hunt, High Relics, High Gold, Medium Herd, Medium Hunt)
star (v2.12) Spring (Berries spawned, Medium Gold, Medium Herd, High Hunt)
star (v2.16) Defensive Map chance reduced from 50% to 33% (Autumn still makes chance slightly higher).
star (v2.16) Defensive Map Trees now only avoid objects by 8 (up from 6).
star (v2.27) Changed the way that Relics are placed.
star (v2.27) Defensive Map chance reduced from 33% to 25% (Autumn still makes chance slightly higher).
star (v2.27) Autumn Random-Trees reduced from 55*Players to 40*Players.

<||=================================||>
Proud Member of Forgotten Empires
96Reviews KaS Dota2 Halo 5 Reach
{ "Work until your idols become your rivals" }
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ trGetUnitScenarioName(); ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

[This message has been edited by Milkman Matty (edited 12-01-2014 @ 01:34 AM).]

Replies:
posted 23 April 2013 05:08 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13  
sounds awesome dude!:O i cant wait to play it!

It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership...
..........-(@
.............)_|___/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\
©(_)@8@8{}______________SHUKAN_______________\
.............)_|
............(@
posted 23 April 2013 08:12 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13  
impressive RMS!

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]
posted 24 April 2013 04:37 AM EDT (US)     3 / 13  
It looks like it should be fun to play.
posted 25 April 2013 10:49 AM EDT (US)     4 / 13  

Good job man, maybe one day I'll learn how to make a RM bitch too!

*To the removetehgoddamnpicyouman people, the CoC was busy so I tought... well... nevermind...

Youtube Channel
Skyrim... the greatest game ever... without considering Age of Mythology, of course!
Ctrl...Alt...Q...
and Brisingr-know these three things and your task here is accomplished...
posted 25 April 2013 01:08 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13  
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Just finishing up the balancing, as you can imagine it is quite hard to get the game to progress as appropriately. If it's too hard then making it a little easier may actually make it too easy, as the player has more time to between waves thus the carried leniency adds up. Furthermore the difficulty is based on my skill level which means the difficulty is subjective.

Anyway the map at the moment is currently finished per say and will be released very soon. For my next RMS I'm thinking of exactly the same type of map, but a lot smaller and you choose a single hero (complete with abilities of course) and see how long you can last against a horde of incoming enemies ~ Milky

posted 25 April 2013 05:05 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13  
:O sounds quite impresive!i will be glad to play it!

It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership...
..........-(@
.............)_|___/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\
©(_)@8@8{}______________SHUKAN_______________\
.............)_|
............(@
posted 21 May 2013 12:04 PM EDT (US)     7 / 13  
The map has now been balanced. I've only got a small problem of the cataphracts not placing when in multiplayer mode. Once that's fixed then I will release this map and see what you guys think ~ Milky

posted 22 May 2013 02:20 AM EDT (US)     8 / 13  
That sounds good. I still look forward to playing this.
posted 06 June 2013 01:24 AM EDT (US)     9 / 13  
How is this going?
posted 29 May 2014 09:03 AM EDT (US)     10 / 13  
Revived..

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
Find the blood inside this stone
Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
posted 29 May 2014 11:59 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13  
Released!

Completely finished this up. Submitting for download very soon.

The only thing that needs to be changed is finalizing the unit types spawned per round. Since I am not a GD member I don't really know the best units to put for each round.

Version 2.12 changelog:
Enemy Player:
* Waves now spawn the correct amount of enemies every time.
* Some units have been moved between rounds, to make it progressive.
* Tower protecting the computer has been moved south by 1%
* Waves now have a 60 second base cooldown between waves, this is decreased over time.
* The computer player now no longer benefits from the AI detection bonuses.

Trigger code:
* Changed the way that triggers are inserted into the trigger code.
* Changed the way that Cataphracts are spawned.
* Buffs added to Cataphracts progressively over the game.
* Buffs to Town Centre's added every 10 minutes tweaked.
* Delayed some of the text.
* More changes between difficulties.
* Start times decreased by about 66% for all difficulties.
* Solo Buffer time halved to 90 seconds.
* Removed some of the AI recognition chat messages.

Map code:
* Changed defensive to have more trees by shortening the distance required between objects.
* Defensive extra gold decreased significantly.
* Overall map gold spawned decreased.
* More changes between seasons:
> * Summer (Normal Map, Chickens spawned, Medium Gold, Medium Herd, Medium Hunt)
> * Autumn (Always Defensive, Medium Gold, High Herd, Low Hunt)
> * Winter (High Predators;possible extra starting hunt, High Relics, High Gold, Medium Herd, Medium Hunt)
> * Spring (Berries spawned, Medium Gold, Medium Herd, High Hunt)

~ Milky

EDIT: Version 2.27 released:
Version 2.27 changelog:
Enemy Player:
* (v2.27) The Nidhogg spawn location for each player is now randomized every generate.
* (v2.27) Removed the increase to the number of enemy units spawned in round 5.
* (v2.27) Revamped the technologies granted at the start of each round for the enemy player.

Trigger code:
* (v2.16) Added in extra human soldiers to round 5.
* (v2.16) Fixed up bugs in getUnitAllowed.
* (v2.16) Modified selectRandomUnusedUnitFromRound functionality.
* (v2.27) Removed setAllUnitAllowed, setUnitAllowed and getUnitAllowed.
* (v2.27) Changed selectRandomUnusedUnitFromRound to selectRandomUnitFromRound.
* (v2.27) Changed randWave to randomizeWave.
* (v2.27) Changed Cataphracts to Kastor. Changed number spawned from 2 to 1.
* (v2.27) Modified Kastor at all difficulties: He reflects the difficulty that he is in.

Map code:
* (v2.16) Defensive Map chance reduced from 50% to 33% (Autumn still makes chance slightly higher).
* (v2.16) Defensive Map Trees now only avoid objects by 8 (up from 6).
* (v2.27) Changed the way that Relics are placed.
* (v2.27) Defensive Map chance reduced from 33% to 25% (Autumn still makes chance slightly higher).
* (v2.27) Autumn Random-Trees reduced from 55*Players to 40*Players.

[This message has been edited by Milkman Matty (edited 05-30-2014 @ 02:42 PM).]

posted 29 November 2014 06:55 AM EDT (US)     12 / 13  
*boom*

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
Find the blood inside this stone
Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
posted 29 November 2014 06:59 AM EDT (US)     13 / 13  
I released this on the Steam Workshop today. I will most likely also release Repository Chocolate as well in the near future. Updates will follow

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: