You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Hidden features in the editor
posted 16 November 2002 11:56 PM EDT (US)   
Most are only accessible with hotkeys.

I've compiled a list of pretty mutch all of them. Theres also the basic editor hotkeys like quickly switching through brush types/sizes - or making custom brush sizes You can view it Here

You can edit elevation stats, sun position/rotation amongst a few other things.

[*discuss*]

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----

[This message has been edited by CheeZy monkey (edited 11-17-2002 @ 04:22 PM).]

Replies:
posted 17 November 2002 08:09 AM EDT (US)     1 / 17  
link just takes you back to forum home. Sounds good though!
BTW, you probably know this but you cna't place certain units in certain places (e.g hoplites underwater) but you can move them anywhere you want once you have created them.

! seilims eht rof elims
posted 17 November 2002 10:27 AM EDT (US)     2 / 17  
The Editor Key Hotlist!

From simple, basic commands such as good ol' Ctrl+z, to sticking the Sun elsewhere!

Honochio
Livin' it up in Sheffield, making websites and such.
posted 17 November 2002 04:20 PM EDT (US)     3 / 17  
lol oops - sorry about the wrong link. Thanks honochio

Quote:

BTW, you probably know this but you cna't place certain units in certain places (e.g hoplites underwater) but you can move them anywhere you want once you have created them.

You can't place hoplites under water?
Sure you can. Place him down on the map and use the position object tool to drag him into the water.

take a look at this article

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----
posted 17 November 2002 06:13 PM EDT (US)     4 / 17  

Quote:

You can't place hoplites under water?
Sure you can. Place him down on the map and use the position object tool to drag him into the water.

That's exactly what he was saying .

By the way the sun shifting commands are really useful.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
posted 17 November 2002 06:56 PM EDT (US)     5 / 17  
Awesome stuffs! Thanks for posting, Cheezy =). The sun rotation didn't quite work out when I playtest the scenario. The angle of the sun got reset to default. Did it work for you?
posted 17 November 2002 09:06 PM EDT (US)     6 / 17  
hey chezzy great find on the underwater thing i can now make a futur atlantis!!
posted 17 November 2002 11:45 PM EDT (US)     7 / 17  
I guess theres some new people here and they don't know all the stuff that there is to know - so take a look at this article as well.

Overlapping Buildings (like the Map Copy scheme in AOK - but better!)

Hehe, old stuff from 1 month ago when i had the beta and was the center of attention.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
----Stuff I've Made----
posted 21 November 2002 02:48 AM EDT (US)     8 / 17  
Okay, those screenshots sold me. I'm in love. I have to get that game.

*goes to find some money*

posted 22 November 2002 04:15 AM EDT (US)     9 / 17  
Hi cheezy,
thanks for the tip. What I woulk like to know though, is it possible to move units on the " y " axis? By that I mean height and not rotation on the axis. As an example, say I have a fortress and I want to place archers on the roof of it or use the bridge behind a wall and then place units on it, how do I do that.
Thanks again

Pro Deus Rex et Patria
posted 22 November 2002 05:14 AM EDT (US)     10 / 17  
height is the Z-axis. X and Y axis make up the horizontal plane.
posted 22 November 2002 05:20 AM EDT (US)     11 / 17  
Thanks golden shadow, but it does not seem to work.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought that:
z=depth
x=left/right
y=up/down
is this right?
Cheers

Pro Deus Rex et Patria
posted 22 November 2002 05:32 AM EDT (US)     12 / 17  
yes. Z is depth such as the depth of water. think of that.
posted 22 November 2002 05:45 AM EDT (US)     13 / 17  
Ok cheers mate,I'll try that.

Still no joy. Could you tell me wich key/keys combo will give me the effect I'm looking for???
Thanks

Pro Deus Rex et Patria

[This message has been edited by Kobura (edited 11-22-2002 @ 11:53 AM).]

posted 22 November 2002 11:17 PM EDT (US)     14 / 17  
If Z = elevation, than combining Z with the building X and placing the unit Y on Z will get your unit higher up than it's really sposed to be.

Well no there really is no way to get a unit on the building since units can only stand on Land, but you can make a long poke of elevation and place a building over it, then put a unit on it. The elevation would be under the building, and the unit on top of the elevation, so it looks like the unit is ontop of the building.
This can only be done with alot of creativity.

The docks in the screenshot of the overlapping buildings article were placed so high by spearing them to a block of elevation.

To rotate a unit on it's X or Y axis you put these lines into your user.con file.

Quote:

map("+control-arrowup", "moveunit", "uiPitchUnitDown")
map("+control-arrowdown", "moveunit", "uiPitchUnitUp")
map("+alt-control-arrowup", "moveunit", "uiPitchUnitDown")
map("+alt-control-arrowdown", "moveunit", "uiPitchUnitUp")
map("+s", "moveunit", "uiRollUnitLeft")
map("+d", "moveunit", "uiRollUnitRight")
map("+alt-s", "moveunit", "uiRollUnitLeft")
map("+alt-d", "moveunit", "uiRollUnitRight")

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
----Stuff I've Made----
posted 23 November 2002 06:37 AM EDT (US)     15 / 17  
Thanks Cheezy, I think I got the idea now.
Still don't understand why ES has excluded some of the basic features in the editor, the mouse wheel could have controlled the height instead of rotation. Or they could have made a stairs object so unit could have had access to building (ie Stronghold) which is more realistic.
Anyway thanks again.

Pro Deus Rex et Patria
posted 24 November 2002 00:59 AM EDT (US)     16 / 17  
I remember finding the move units into water thing on my own just after I got the beta. Cool stuff. (Also found you can drag a water unit onto land, but it won't move.)

I have yet to make a map yet with those dead pine trees in water. (Looks like the got a bit too wet.)

I did make a nice building out of a Midhol stronghold and a pyramid. (Rotating buildings also makes it look cool.)

posted 25 November 2002 01:11 AM EDT (US)     17 / 17  
Hah, yes cobra After a couple of days i was trying to figure out how to map copy in AOM. the unit copy way wouldn't work, so i was just fooling around when i accidently moved a tree into an archery range. Bang, there i had it. I made some really sweet examples and some articles and put them up on DGDN - thus claiming that i discovered map copy (and later, moving water units on land and vice versa).

That was all around october 10-15th, with the beta ofcourse.

Quote:

Still don't understand why ES has excluded some of the basic features in the editor

They're under the influence of microsoft

That means they take stuff out and put it into an expantion so they could make money. Smart, yet very cheap.

It amazes me why they took out the pitch control feature (for camera angles) they had it and it worked, and i evan looked in the alpha to find the files that controlled it ( they won't work in final)

Theres some other stuff that they couldn't finish in time/plucked so they can put in the expantion or something.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
----Stuff I've Made----
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Hidden features in the editor
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames