You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Version 1.1 of Renders AOM Light Editor.
posted 27 November 2002 07:13 PM EDT (US)   
I have made a few changes to my light editor for Age of Mythology, those that had version 1 may wish to know that my new version has a help dialogue which provides a description of what each colour and value does as well as other internal changes which make the program run better.

For those that haven't got version 1 of AOM light editor yet and don't know what Im talking about. AOM Light Editor is a program which makes it easy to create custom lighting settings for use in Age Of Mythology.
You simply need to enter the name of the light setting, select the colours for each different types of light. Select the position and Strength of the sun by entering the sun inclination and sun rotation values. Then save the file in your Age Of Mythology Data folder and they will be avaliable for you to use in the games map editor.
You can also open and edit lgt(Light Setting) files made by other users of by ES.

This is what it looks like:

The program comes with plenty of samples made by me and cheezey monkey.

get it here http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/viewinfo.php?id=85

Enjoy.

Replies:
posted 27 November 2002 07:25 PM EDT (US)     1 / 22  
cool, but where do you save them

0 0 0
1st place in Norse Mythology Quiz (BrandNewCar's)(the hardest one of the 3)
Owner of 3D Studio Max
Loyal to Ensemble Studios
I am Loki
U.S.A., AOM, ES, HG RULE!!!!
posted 27 November 2002 07:33 PM EDT (US)     2 / 22  
Save the editor anywhere, and the lighting files you made under the "data" folder under AoM.

DK
posted 27 November 2002 10:49 PM EDT (US)     3 / 22  
I figured out everything but for the sun inclination and rotation. Well, at least the update will help me more.
posted 27 November 2002 11:29 PM EDT (US)     4 / 22  
Inclination says it's the sun's intensity. Rotation is sun placement.

DK
posted 28 November 2002 10:54 AM EDT (US)     5 / 22  
very cool...

just.. hehe.. "colour"... haha.. sorry dont wanna seem ungratefull.. just.. hahahah

someone once asked me: "Why do you like Shakira so much?"
I replied: "cuz..... *Latin beat starts*
I LIKE IT LIKE THAT!!! I--LIKE--IT LIKE--DAT!!!
*chorus* *HE LIKES-IT LIKE THAT!!!....... "
<<<<see 4 urself>>>>
posted 28 November 2002 02:48 PM EDT (US)     6 / 22  
This is an awesome program! Thumbs up for Render ! I must say that it would be even better and userfriendly if you would include a support document, which explain what each field means.

For example, the Sun color is quite obvious, but the specular is quite obscure, and needs a brief description. For the Sun Inclination and Rotation, it would be helpful if each had a rollover help that says "enter a value between 0-180" for inclination, and "0-360" for rotation, etc.

Good work, once again!

posted 28 November 2002 04:01 PM EDT (US)     7 / 22  
Clcik help from the file menu in it, it tells about each field.

DK
posted 28 November 2002 05:34 PM EDT (US)     8 / 22  
Oh thanks! I didn't now that =).
posted 28 November 2002 05:41 PM EDT (US)     9 / 22  
I see you mix English and American spelling of colour?

Nice program.

posted 29 November 2002 07:22 PM EDT (US)     10 / 22  
As you can see by my profile Im Australian, For this reason I spell it Colour, however when writing something for a mostly American audience I sometimes write it color. Here I'd decided I was going to write it the Australian way. However looks like I sliped once into the American way.

In my defence I could say that I was aiming it at a multi national audience. But the truth is I lapsed into the American way once.

I don't know why you Americans cant spell things the "Normal" way.

Alexandergreat3, and any others who wan't to know what each feild does just Click help in the file menu. Also there is roll over help for sun inclination and rotation boxes just hold the mouse still over it for about 2 or 3 sec

[This message has been edited by Render (edited 11-29-2002 @ 07:29 PM).]

posted 29 November 2002 08:49 PM EDT (US)     11 / 22  

Render,

Thanks much for a sweet little Utility.
This will (hopefully) add a great deal to ‘Custom’ Scn. Designing.

I have one little problem with it tho’ – lol
It just Won’t Save my file(s).
When I Click ‘Save,’ – the AOMLE just crashes.

Any thoughts on what’s causing this, and any way to fix it?
Thanks again …

- Best

- Lioness

Proud Julianite * Last pagan of the Empire...

Roi ne suis,
Ne prince ne duc ne compte aussi;
Je suis la belle de Coucy...

posted 29 November 2002 08:59 PM EDT (US)     12 / 22  
No Idea I've never had it crash before, try a reinstall.??
was there any message when it crashed? did it lock up or did it just close etc???

I don't think any one else has had any trouble with it.

Have they??

posted 29 November 2002 09:08 PM EDT (US)     13 / 22  

Hi Render,

No – there’s no other message than that ‘stupid’ Win/XP thing that says – ‘MicroSoft yada, yada, has encountered a problem, and must shut down this application, we’re sorry for the inconvenience…”

LoL
Yeah – sure… gee-thanks …
Meanwhile – where’s my stuff, man?

Ok – I’ll un-install and try re-installing it.
Do you think it would be better to install it in a sub-directory in the AOM/Data folder?

Thanks Render…

- Lioness

Roi ne suis,

posted 29 November 2002 09:32 PM EDT (US)     14 / 22  

Hmmm

I un-installed and re-installed it, and it’s still the same.
It generates an error report that seems to implicate the ntdll.dll

I don’t know.
It just won’t Save and it ‘crashes.’

..Too bad, I’d have gotten good use from your AOMLE I think …

Is nice others can use it, at-least …

Best –

-Lioness

Roi ne suis,

posted 29 November 2002 09:50 PM EDT (US)     15 / 22  
I found the problem and am working on fixing it sorry
posted 29 November 2002 09:55 PM EDT (US)     16 / 22  

Render,

That’s Awesome!
Thanks – and no worries!

Really looking forward to having a fully-working version…

*rubs her hands together thinking of the possibilities*

Best and Thanks!

-Lioness

Roi ne suis,

posted 30 November 2002 00:03 AM EDT (US)     17 / 22  
Heh, how about a short lesson from the expert who did the originals by hand, and simple knowledge of RBG values?

The sun color is the basic overall color of the map.
The sun Specular is the object's side oposite of the Sun, so this is the color thats not facing the sun.
The Ambient color is the color of the sprites and the effects (clouds and things) and the terrain as well. The Terrain Ambient is the color oposite of the sun on the terrain

Now alot of these things mix with eachother, so often times if you make the sun color yellow and the sunspecular red, you'll find that people's shadows are orange or something. Thats why in the Copper Sunset (made by me) the sunspecular is purple, when it mixes with the yellow it makes a nice darkish red color.

Suncolor and sunspecular mix, and ambient and terrainambient mix. and sunspecular and terrainambient slightly mix for the oposite color of the terrain. So remember those bits, and you won't get frustrated when your whole map turns purple and your units are shining yellow.

Sun Incliniation is the suns position in the sky (as in, straight above (o), or down low (130), Sun Rotation is the sun's rotation around things, pretty basic. Not that 0 Degrees rotation doesn't make the sun be facing straight down south, it's a little off, so 0 degrees has the sun coming from the northwest.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----

[This message has been edited by CheeZy monkey (edited 11-30-2002 @ 00:07 AM).]

posted 30 November 2002 11:12 PM EDT (US)     18 / 22  
OK Its all working propperly now. Anyone who experienced problems should download the file again.

You should Also download CheeZy monkey's lighting files cause he makes them the best

[This message has been edited by Render (edited 11-30-2002 @ 11:38 PM).]

posted 25 December 2002 03:25 AM EDT (US)     19 / 22  
Hey Render (or anyone who knows the answer),

when you use your Lighting editor to create custom light schemes for your scenario, are those settings automatically saved with the scenario, or do you have to include an additional data file in your scenario zip for people who download it?

:Zman

posted 25 December 2002 01:39 PM EDT (US)     20 / 22  
When you make a lighting effect file, it's saved in the data folder.

yes you have to include those in your scenario so that other people can use them for your scenario.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----
posted 31 December 2002 10:17 PM EDT (US)     21 / 22  
heres an article on how to create your own lighting effect files.

Take a look at it.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
----Stuff I've Made----
posted 31 December 2002 11:14 PM EDT (US)     22 / 22  
I did try to make a light file with the old one.. Got the colors right but had no idea about the sun rotation. If I would have known where 0 was (Northwest in this case) I would have been able to figure it out a lot easier. (Since Im facing to the North when I am sitting infront of my computer.)
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Version 1.1 of Renders AOM Light Editor.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames