You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A way to change building HPs! And any HP of regular units too!
posted 20 December 2002 11:01 PM EDT (US)   
This might have been suggested before, but I haven never heard of it, and I think that such an idea would be in the FAQ if iot was suggested before, so here.

Note that this increases the HP of ALL units of that type and ALL buildings etc...

Ok, So there IS a way to increase the HitPoints of buildings using simple built in triggers!

You set a trigger that is active and loops with condition time 200 milliseconds (the granularity of the clock is high, so you can't do it smaller than that) And that trigger will make the tech Masons active.
Then make a trigger with lets say 2 seconds timer and the effect that disables the first trigger. That means that that effect fired 10 times and increased the building HPs by 10% each time (10% of the base HP). And there you have it - your building's HP were doubled!

You can do it with normal units by reseacrhing the medium upgrade over and over, but it will also increase the atatck. If you want to do that with priests or hersirs, research the tech age 2 (no specific minor god) over and over!

So even though it increases all buildings, it's still very usefull - for example in bloods that tower you can just make it have about 10,000 HPs. Makes it quite balanced.

If you want to make an RPG, have a Hoplite be the main character, but the other untis are not hoplites. Then research the hoplite upgrade and you have just oen unit with a lot of HP!
Note that Zeus has a tech that increases HP for heroes. You can use that too.

Lots of possiblities.

[This message has been edited by O1_Mike_1O (edited 12-21-2002 @ 00:39 AM).]

Replies:
posted 21 December 2002 00:42 AM EDT (US)     1 / 26  
Hmmm... I haven't had time to test this yet, but if it works the way that you described it, this could be a major find. If this works with upgrades such as Mason, I assume it would work with all upgrades, including ones that increase such attributes as attack, LOS, and armor.

This could possibly be the answer to some of the unit-editing problems, if it works as you described it.

The Rasher
rasher@accesswave.com
[IMG]http://www.freeyellow.com/members6/therasher/Thomas.jpg[/IMG]
"You must succeed, to bring the Winds of Light into the age of darkness."
-Old Man, Magnus
posted 21 December 2002 01:32 AM EDT (US)     2 / 26  
Another bug turned for the benefic of scenario designers

This could be a work-around - i haven't tested it - but it makes sence.
Good find

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----
posted 21 December 2002 03:14 AM EDT (US)     3 / 26  
Yes, I tried it in my blood (that I will post in a couple of days) and it made my buildings 8000 HPs. I used mason every 1 second, and stopped it at 150 seconds.
posted 21 December 2002 03:03 PM EDT (US)     4 / 26  
Wow...that's an awesome idea!

Quote:

If you want to make an RPG, have a Hoplite be the main character, but the other untis are not hoplites. Then research the hoplite upgrade and you have just oen unit with a lot of HP!

But here's something I thought of that makes it even more flexible: have one "dummy" side get the hoplite upgrades. Then change the hoplite to the side that you want it on. Then you can have both an uber hoplite and still include regular hoplites!
posted 21 December 2002 03:17 PM EDT (US)     5 / 26  
I'm not sure that would work...

Bah.
posted 21 December 2002 03:19 PM EDT (US)     6 / 26  
Can't you just put raise unit HP or ATTACK to an incredible value or something in second one like in AoK? (i still haven't messed around with triggers)
posted 21 December 2002 05:34 PM EDT (US)     7 / 26  
Talon Karrde. Yes that works, I've tried that.

Coolcat. The whole problem is, that AOM doesn't have a trigger that will do this. Othwerwise of course this would not be needed.

jwj. That a great idea!

posted 21 December 2002 05:46 PM EDT (US)     8 / 26  
Heh, I actually wanted to try this once but I thought it would never work. Great find!

Apart from Masons and medium upgrades, you can also use this with myth techs targetting specific units and relic techs.

EDIT:

I tested this and it is amazing. Here's what I did, using relic techs, myth techs, etc:

- Have your favor grow constantly (to 100 all the time)
- Made an Arkantos with very high HP, very high attack, and almost infinite speed (he could essentially teleport anywhere on the map that is pathable from his position - you should see this guy in battle)
- Made a hoplite with infinite LOS
- Made units with 99% of each type of armor
- Made a medusa and minotaur that used their special attacks continuously (no regular attacks at all)

Leetness!

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.

[This message has been edited by Matei (edited 12-21-2002 @ 06:29 PM).]

posted 21 December 2002 08:22 PM EDT (US)     9 / 26  
Amazing! Are there any lower unit HP techs lol

• >> LKS_Cheeselord >>
  • Proud member of LKS. Click here to join.
  • Member of Arcane Studios, DGDN, and LKSware
  • PROJECTS: Magic Rugs - Cheese Giant - Anim Editor
  • Fear the power of CHEESE!
  • posted 21 December 2002 11:33 PM EDT (US)     10 / 26  
    No, but someone made a custom trigger that allows you to edit unit HP. However, it can only their current HP, not max HP. So it's essentially a heal/damage trigger.

[This message has been edited by jwj442 (edited 12-21-2002 @ 11:34 PM).]

posted 21 December 2002 11:41 PM EDT (US)     11 / 26  
    that someone is called Lamir

posted 22 December 2002 03:47 AM EDT (US)     12 / 26  
    This should be added to the FAQ.
    posted 22 December 2002 09:10 AM EDT (US)     13 / 26  
    Yup this should be in the FAQ.

BTW I think (not sure) that you can remove the effects you want by setting the tech inactive at some point later in the scenario.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
    posted 26 December 2002 06:36 PM EDT (US)     14 / 26  
    I need help!

I made a trigger like this:

Trigger 1
    Active
    Looped

Condition
    Timer ms: 200

Effect
    Set Tech Status - <player 1> - Olympic Parentage

Then I made a trigger to disable it, and my hero kept getting more heath. What could be causing the problem?

[This message has been edited by Mojo14 (edited 12-26-2002 @ 07:05 PM).]

posted 26 December 2002 09:40 PM EDT (US)     15 / 26  
    did you disable the trigger or disable the tech status?

_________________.##@@$$$@@##._____________
    ______________,##@$::%$$%%::$@##.__________
    ____________#@$:%%000000000%%:$@#_________
    ___________#@$:%00'___________'00%:$@#_______
    __________#@$:%0'_______________'0%:$@#______
    _________#@$:%0__________________0%:$@#_____
    posted 26 December 2002 11:04 PM EDT (US)     16 / 26  
    I tried both.
    posted 26 December 2002 11:15 PM EDT (US)     17 / 26  
    Mojo, get on ESO

DK
    posted 27 December 2002 05:34 AM EDT (US)     18 / 26  
    Someone help me!
    posted 27 December 2002 06:54 PM EDT (US)     19 / 26  
    me mojo and pw_darkknight are making some cool AOM multiplayer scns
    mojo made 2
    Paintbal and Battle arena, i made the latest version of Paintbal, their really good!! everyone that played liked it , so if u wanna play them add us to ur ESO list, im Lp there and mojo is mojo14

posted 28 December 2002 06:29 PM EDT (US)     20 / 26  
    Awesome discovery, Mike! Thanks for sharing it with us =).

Mojo,

A looping trigger cannot be disabled by simply use the Disable effect. The only way to disable an active, looping trigger is by turning off its condition. (If it doesn’t have a condition, then you must create one.)

For example: let’s say a looping trigger creates Heaven Light over a temple. You now want to stop the light. The only way to stop the trigger is by removing the condition.

Since this trigger doesn’t have one, you have to create one. Let’s have a priest in area as the condition.

Quote:

TRIGGER 1 (LOOP)

CONDITION: Unit in area __ Priest
    EFFECT: Unit deploy __ Heaven Light

When you want the trigger to stop, remove the priest – it will effectively stop the trigger from firing. (After that, you might also want to completely turn off the active trigger by using the Disable trigger effect. Only then will it work =))

posted 28 December 2002 11:41 PM EDT (US)     21 / 26  
    Thanks so much Alex! I'm so happy now!
    posted 29 December 2002 03:10 AM EDT (US)     22 / 26  
    Yeah, Merry X'mas to you . Happy holidays, everyone!
    posted 29 December 2002 10:04 AM EDT (US)     23 / 26  
    Whoa! Great find Mike. Tried out your Magic Mats blood too-loved it!

My sig version 2.3!
    Recipient of the Age of Mythology Multiplayer Test
    Templar of FPH Clan
    Devotee to the Norse
    Uber-atheist
    Obsessive compulsive perfectionist

posted 29 December 2002 07:55 PM EDT (US)     24 / 26  
    I still have a problem with this system in my newest scenario (going to be released after I can find some testers).

It has a trigger so that it changes the final bosses HP, It's supposed to go up to 2000 and something but it only goes to 627. While I can live with that I want the boss to have a lot of heath.

The problem is when in the editor I test as player 5 it goes up to 2000+, but when I play it in load scenario it only goes to 627.

Maybe someone can check this out for me?
    Email: mojo14@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by Mojo14 (edited 12-29-2002 @ 07:56 PM).]

posted 30 December 2002 04:34 PM EDT (US)     25 / 26  
    Mojo,

Make sure all your triggers are set as High priority. Normal priority or lower will not fire the trigger right on time. (Triggers with Timer condition only work accurately if the priority is High).

Try that and see if it corrects the problem.

If that doesn't help, then what I would do is -- instead of using the looping to research the tech several times -- I would create a non-looping trigger, and have *several* of the effect Set Tech Status, so the tech would be researched multiple times.

Quote:

TRIGGER 1 (Non Looping)

CONDITION: always

EFFECT: set tech status __ {tech name}

This requires a little more work, but if you really want it to be accurate, then you might want to do it this way.

posted 30 December 2002 05:44 PM EDT (US)     26 / 26  
    I noticed that 200 ms is not enough when there are lags. Haven;t tried high priority, but what you can do is make a timer with 1 second. That will always fire accurately. And then you can just disable the trigger.

It still will not do it completely accurately because when you load the scenario online, there is lag.
    But if you do it every 1 second delay, then most of the time, it will work.
    In My blood, I have temples and the HPs of the temples varies between about 7,000 and 10,000 HPs. But all the players will always have the same HP. It will just change a bit every time you load the scenario.

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » A way to change building HPs! And any HP of regular units too!
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames