Halls of Valhalla
Moderated by Yeebaagooon

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Member of the Month: April 2008
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 27 April 2008 07:47 PM EDT (US)   
This month, the award goes to the famed GD member DeathAndPain! DeathAndPain is known for his encyclopedic answers and knowledgability about AoM and other technical difficulties. I thought it would be great to get to know a bit more about him!

AoMH: Welcome to this month's Member of the Month Interview, DeathAndPain. Most people probably know you for your encyclopedic answers, but there's always more to a forummer than what he types. Let's hear more about you as a person.

DeathAndPain: Well, I am a 35-year-old systems administrator, living in a flat in Berlin with my girlfriend. I also have a kid, but that is with my ex, from whom I am currently divorced. He is also living with her. My hobbies are comprised of computer games as well as astrology and esoterics in general. Sports-wise, I like to ballroom dance or play table tennis. I occasionally play chess. So far, I have encountered one guy on the German chess server who correctly guessed who the real player "DaP" was. Most people there have no idea for obvious reasons.

AoMH: So where did you get the name "DeathAndPain" from?

DeathAndPain: I chose it a very long time ago, and decided to stick with it. It was my nick back on StarCraft, easily 10 years ago. I then joined a German StarCraft clan, in which I was known as [57th]Death. When I'm not in a clan, which is most of time, I stick with DeathAndPain. I believe a nickname is an identity. You should choose it carefully and not change it like your shirt, as some other people do.

AoMH: That's an interesting philosophy, I'm inclined to agree with you.

DeathAndPain: I have played StarCraft since v 1.00, and the same goes for AoM. I will most likely continue that way with StarCraft 2.

AoMH: Did you get started with RTS games with StarCraft?

DeathAndPain: No, I started with the first RTS game ever, as far as I know, Dune 2. Then came Warcraft, followed by Warcraft 2. These were pre-internet times, but I played with friends in LAN. Back then, a friend and I believed we were the best players on earth because we found no matches, due to the nonexistence of the internet. We learned better when we started to play StarCraft online . He is now on Warhammer: Dawn of War because he is more the tactical combat type. I am more into RTS economics, which is why I chose the AoM path after StarCraft got too old with its 640x480 graphics.

AoMH: So how did you come across AoM?

DeathAndPain: A former classmate told me about it before it had come out. I used to play AoE 1 and 2 before, but not on a serious basis. I found them nice, but not thrilling enough, because you just had human soldiers silently fighting on all sides. StarCraft was more thrilling. It was the introduction of myth units and god powers that drew my attention to AoM, along with the advancing age of StarCraft. Graphics are not everything, but 640x480 is, well, no comment .

AoMH: How did you find AoMH?

DeathAndPain: I started to Google for AoM-related pages, the first one was MrFixit Online. It was the best AoM-related page in the early times, but over time, AoMH outclassed it, because of the superior forum and structure. AoMH was at the top until AoTS came up with the great replay database, thus drawing the experts there. However, AoMH has the nicer community and less braggarts, which is why I stayed. AoTP is really draining people from AoMH, but it is a priviledge to be a normal member there, since most people are mods, and that's pretty ridiculous. I'd rather stick with AoMH .

AoMH: Good to hear that. Now, how often do you play AoM and do AoMH-related things?

DeathAndPain: Well, almost daily, although that is also a matter of girlfriend-related negotiations . I recently also started playing Pirates! (Sid Meier) again, but that will certainly be a temporary thing, although I find the scenario interesting. I am considering buying Pirates of the Burning Sea, but the pay-per-month system is repulsive. I have always been a big fan of the Master of Orion series, especially MoO2.

AoMH: Have you ever done anything with the AoM editor?

DeathAndPain: I used to create scenarios in StarCraft, but hardly with AoM. I have experimented with it, especially to create testing scenarios to research things and clear up rumors. There are so many AoM scenarios out there, mine would be but yet another one, and when it comes to scenario making, the way is not the goal for me. So I leave that to others. I am a dedicated 1v1 rated player, the rated aspect is what motivates me. I feel that a game is not in vain when it has ended, I can achieve something lasting, something is at stake. In unrated games, I have a feeling that what I do does not matter at all, which can be boring.

AoMH: Can we expect to see you at StarCraft 2 Heaven, spreading your RTS wisdom?

DeathAndPain: Most likely, but that will likely mean that I vanish from AoMH.

AoMH: Lastly, is there anything else that you would like to share with your fans?

DeathAndPain: Play to win, read the corresponding article, which can be found here, That is the most important thing that I want to urge. However, note that rating doesn't mean everything.

Thank you DeathAndPain for the interview! Everyone, be sure to congratulate DeathAndPain on his honor this month!

[This message has been edited by Shanks13 (edited 04-27-2008 @ 08:03 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01 May 2008 04:30 PM EDT (US)     1 / 31  
Congratulations

posted 01 May 2008 04:35 PM EDT (US)     2 / 31  
Well done DAP.

(I use your tactic of hiding threads too Shanks ;p)

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
posted 01 May 2008 04:38 PM EDT (US)     3 / 31  
Congrats

Cerberus- The three headed guard dog who guards the entrance to Hades; son of Typhon.
posted 01 May 2008 04:47 PM EDT (US)     4 / 31  
Good job!

Epic Studios' Projects: Star Wars | SPQR | Greek Hoplites | Greek Teachings | Macedonian Phalangite
Join now!

If you would like to see Star Wars Mod's showcase go HERE

Humans are the only varelse
posted 01 May 2008 04:51 PM EDT (US)     5 / 31  
I don't know who's photo is scarier. Out Reach dancing with the skeliton or yours. Just kidding.
AoTS
AoTS??? I never heared of it. It sounds like some sort of strange clan site.

MEPH
[Insert amazingly witty signature here.]

Me and Yeebaagooon's scenarios | Download The Corruptor
posted 01 May 2008 05:13 PM EDT (US)     6 / 31  
Nice read, and grats.
posted 01 May 2008 05:48 PM EDT (US)     7 / 31  
yay gongrats DaP, now i really now who you are
posted 01 May 2008 05:49 PM EDT (US)     8 / 31  
Hey another old(ish) guy!
Dune 2 is a great game and my first RTS as well, and Sid Meier's Pirates! Ahh.... that name brings back memories like Floyd of the Jungle...
Congrats, DaP....

(I use your tactic of hiding threads too Shanks ;p)
do you have to? This is DaP's thread....

posted 01 May 2008 06:39 PM EDT (US)     9 / 31  
Congratulations DaP! Let's see if Elrich's record for shortest time of having the custom title is beaten this time.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum”
posted 01 May 2008 06:51 PM EDT (US)     10 / 31  
Nice!
Although I wouldn't be so quick to delve into such personal details next time

DeviantArt | Me | Liquid Fire

~ I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning its motives ~

posted 01 May 2008 07:07 PM EDT (US)     11 / 31  
Awesome. Well done.

I never asked for this.
posted 01 May 2008 07:18 PM EDT (US)     12 / 31  
Congrats.
AoMH: That's an interesting philosophy, I'm inclined to agree with you.

DeathAndPain: I have played StarCraft since v 1.00, and the same goes for AoM. I will most likely continue that way with StarCraft 2.
Is it just me or does DAP's line seem really random as there was no question to answer. Was a question line left out of the interview?

posted 01 May 2008 07:33 PM EDT (US)     13 / 31  
Yeah I noticed that too.

I never asked for this.
posted 01 May 2008 07:53 PM EDT (US)     14 / 31  
Good for you DaP.
AoMH: Can we expect to see you at StarCraft 2 Heaven, spreading your RTS wisdom?
Its inactive, so until the game is nearing release it should be worthwhile to go there.

A green great dragon.
posted 02 May 2008 01:22 AM EDT (US)     15 / 31  
Congrats!

Nacht Jaeger - Ex AoEH Angel
posted 02 May 2008 02:06 AM EDT (US)     16 / 31  
I enjoyed reading that, gj shanks and of course congratulations to DeathAndPain nicely done and well deserved ~ Steak

<||=================================||>
Proud Member of Forgotten Empires
96Reviews KaS Dota2 Halo 5 Reach
{ "Work until your idols become your rivals" }
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ trGetUnitScenarioName(); ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
posted 02 May 2008 02:14 AM EDT (US)     17 / 31  
I do kinda wish the MoTM interviews were a bit more structured a lot like Paperfriends.

A green great dragon.
posted 02 May 2008 02:19 AM EDT (US)     18 / 31  
Congrats DaP!

<3
posted 02 May 2008 02:40 AM EDT (US)     19 / 31  
Pretty cool!

The boy with the mad imagination
Prepare for the ultimate duel!
Learn to use all my triggers and what you can do with them. Visit here.
Find out and download the transform trigger here.
Play some minigames I have created outside AOM including some 3D games here.
posted 02 May 2008 03:16 AM EDT (US)     20 / 31  
Aren't you the one who hacked Hells?
Congrats anyway.

TBK_-_iDrug
"Because sometimes your posts seem to imply that you're a little high?" - RCM
"And sometimes "a little" is an understatement ;p ..." - Kyr
"I think TBK's subtly trying to tell us he does, but 'legally.' " - Norm
"Or maybe "slightly" illegal" - RCM
"Are you on drugs?" - Gamerrici
posted 02 May 2008 03:20 AM EDT (US)     21 / 31  
Do you have to rain in people's parades?

A green great dragon.
posted 02 May 2008 06:32 AM EDT (US)     22 / 31  
i am happy for you, truly, but how did you became member of the month?
posted 02 May 2008 07:09 AM EDT (US)     23 / 31  
Cus he is loved and you're not.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum”
posted 02 May 2008 08:19 AM EDT (US)     24 / 31  
^Owned.

Grats DaP
posted 02 May 2008 09:12 AM EDT (US)     25 / 31  
Congratulations dude!

I feel I should point out that AoTP only has two moderators (four including the two admins that moderate too though I guess)

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back.
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.
But you can't take the sky from me...
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Halls of Valhalla » Member of the Month: April 2008
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames