Please login or register

Halls of Valhalla
Moderated by Yeebaagooon

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Member Of The Month: October 2010
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 01 November 2010 11:42 AM EDT (US)   
Yeebaagooon: When did you first start to get good at SD?
THYMOLE: Good? Ooh, I guess that's a compliment.

I go the game back in 2005, but only discovered the trigger editor in 2009. Apart from learning the tricks of the system I wouldn't say there was a huge amount of growth. I was more or less the same back then, I just needed a bit of experience to figure out the effects. I'd say I was good to go in about a month. I remember quite painfully that the two effects/conditions that I did not understand in the beginning were Fire Event and Timer. *shudders* That wasn't fun trying to get on without them.

Mole's 73rd attempt to photograph himself with his phone.

Yeebaagooon: So, turn based attack system. What are the basic principles involved?
THYMOLE: Right, well there's about a hundred different ways to set one up, even in an RTS game like AoM. The big concept that you need to establish is that the system must be standardized for every single battle. Meaning that if you want to create a battle, you need only create a new setup trigger, an AI, and a win trigger to have it ready. I feel that Visions didn't do a good job illustrating this as it contained so few battles, but if you look into the trigger work, it is indeed all standardized.

The other main idea was that you needed to separate the system from the normal gameplay mechanics. They don't mesh well. Honestly the biggest challenge in visions was figuring out how to make characters attack and deal damage, without actually attacking an enemy.

Yeebaagooon: What happened to Starship Ultra and Team Minigames?
THYMOLE: Starship Ultra is a little prick that keeps bugging me. Much like the turn based systems, it is completely standardized. You control the ship, it fires bullets that deals specific damage to one of the player's units, and if your ship hits another ship you die. It works too, so all that should be required is twenty or so waves of enemies. But I just can't find the time.

Team Minigames is going to be the death of me. I believe it was your guide that suggested making minigames as a first map. *twitch*

Well this is a general idea of the concept I call, the Mole Paradox. In the beginning, I worked very hard and made a ton of games, but I had no idea what I was doing really. Additionally, I never tested on ESO, and I had the ignominious idea that more triggers equaled more awesome (for all those aspiring, don't do that). So in fact, doing more work, made increasingly less progress. I now have a map of many games that in theory should work, but don't due to idiotic shortcut made long ago. As I attempt to fix these issues, I find that it creates unreasonable lag due to the massive trigger count, and after dealing with this I find that the game isn't actually that entertaining. Ultimately ending with the game being dumped. Of course there is still a lot of good in the map I think, but I'm very strained for time. Perhaps i could get someone to do my dirty work...

As one can see; time spent on Team Minigames has no correlation with progress made, however it is strongly, inversely related with Mole's willingness to live.

Overall I think I'll finish minigames, maybe even starship, but not for a while :/

Yeebaagooon: You're starting to move into the 4.5< category now, any crazy ideas?
THYMOLE: 4.5? Haha, that'd be nice. No I think I'm quite far from that. I'm a bit too ambitious, so I tend not to get things finished. I can't remember if I left it in but there used to be a setup for five more characters and 4 skills per in Visions. The looming deadline was the only thing that got me finished. But it's actually bug ridden, and not very high quality. The battle system alone is the quirk that makes it interesting.

As for crazy ideas, it seems to me that the one thing people want in an RTS game, is anything but an RTS game. I've considered making a really big turn based RPG if I could get some help.

Yeebaagooon: Are you working on any scenarios now?
THYMOLE: Oof, no. I have too little time for that stuff. I might try and reopen team minigames over a vacation break, but that might be wishful thinking.

Yeebaagooon: What would you say to people just starting off their career in SD as means of inspiration?
THYMOLE: I think the most important thing is to just get things done. Ambition is great, but if you spend too much time looking ahead nothing will happen. Rather than scrutinizing every miniscule detail, just get your work to an acceptable level, and show it off. Then you can get the major feedback and maybe find that the smaller details were not so much of a big deal, or were even better the way they were.

Also, be original. There's nothing much to gain from another remake. Even going off on an experimental tangent in some unplanned direction can have some cool results, and if not, you'll still have figured out some new ideas to try elsewhere that other people havent considered yet.

Yeebaagooon: What's your average day like?
THYMOLE: Pain I'd say. Water based pain.

I wake up around 4ish to go to a swim practice, then I go direct to school, followed by another practice after school. I start my homework around 7:00, and try to get to bed before 1:00. It's kind of monotonous. On the weekends I try to figure out Rush songs on my guitar, appease my high-matinence loving girlfriend, or just sleep. Haven't really played a game seriously in a while.

Yeebaagooon: You do 6 hours of homework!? How much are they paying you?
THYMOLE: Oh normally its closer to 3-4 hours. But yes, when the planets align just right I feel the wrath of the public school system. Its not really that im slow, i just severly underestimated how much work would be in AP courses :/

But counting in dinner, showering, and general distractions 1:00 is a reasonable goal.

Yeebaagooon: What do you want to do in the future?
THYMOLE: Future? Uh... Well in the short term I want to survive my junior year of AP stat and Econ. After that I'd like to finish team minigames.

In the longer term I'd like to use my swimming to steal a spot at MIT and see where it goes from there

Yeebaagooon: What has been a nice memorable holiday?
THYMOLE: Holiday... uh... right. Well I cant say I've done anything special in the past few years. Took a week long trip camping with my girlfriend, which was pretty cool. Swimming is a pain in that it is year round and you get grief for taking long breaks, especially on holidays when we are supposed to replace the lack of school with more swimming >:0

I'm more into concerts and such. I'm gonna see Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) in a couple weeks at Madison Square Garden. Should be cool.

Yeebaagooon: Any last words of wisdom for us?
THYMOLE: Don't work on maps. That's boring. Have fun with it. You should enjoy what you're doing.

And for future reference, think of something witty to say in case you're ever MOTM and don't want to end without a punchline...

*sigh*

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
Replies:
posted 01 November 2010 11:48 AM EDT (US)     1 / 35  
THYMOLE: Don't work on maps. That's boring. Have fun with it. You should enjoy what you're doing.
He's right Quote of the year! heheh
Congratulations Thymole ^.^
posted 01 November 2010 12:04 PM EDT (US)     2 / 35  
THYMOLE is a cool guy.
posted 01 November 2010 12:21 PM EDT (US)     3 / 35  
Congratulations!

castwcrt rip 2010-2010
posted 01 November 2010 12:34 PM EDT (US)     4 / 35  
Wise words, Thymole. I especially get killed in the details myself and expand a small project into a behemoth
weekends I try to figure out Rush songs on my guitar
That's something I still try to do from time to time. Last I remember, you were working on La Villa Strangiato?

Anyways, I give you a well deserved congratulations.

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
Find the blood inside this stone
Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
posted 01 November 2010 01:57 PM EDT (US)     5 / 35  
The coolest mole around.

<O><O><O><O><O><O><O><O>All my downloads here<O><O><O><O><O><O><O><O>

http://joshonator12.deviantart.com/

Progress Bars
posted 01 November 2010 01:58 PM EDT (US)     6 / 35  
Nice one dude.
posted 01 November 2010 03:00 PM EDT (US)     7 / 35  
EDIT: Oups wrong thread.

Anyway. When I saw your pic, you remind me of an good friend of mine. Are you that Lukas?

Uruk-Hai, Skeleton Warriors, Green horde, Khorne Berserker, Dwarfs
Attention!>Wrong english grammar are special effects and wanted from my keyboard<Attention!

The more there is to hide, the more there's to uncover.
So welcome to the other side.
This trip here is hell...

[This message has been edited by Zaphragor (edited 11-01-2010 @ 03:02 PM).]

posted 01 November 2010 03:07 PM EDT (US)     8 / 35  
Congratulations Thymole.

I can't believe Visions is your only file in the downloads section! You really need to finish and release Starship Ultra and Minigames someday.
posted 01 November 2010 04:02 PM EDT (US)     9 / 35  
*Feels satisfied about being the only one to know he's Mole and not Thy*

Gratz, Moley ^_^

AoMH retired Scenario designer
Skarr: "I wish WRP_Beater would stop abusing the poor BBCode."
lostrozzacavalli: "Mezzo e un minuto." | "I'm joking ragazzo."
Dr. Newt: "You are WRP. A slightly manic Italian presence on the forums, you have improved over the years to be a fairly reliable pair of hands, either as town or scum."
posted 01 November 2010 05:24 PM EDT (US)     10 / 35  
Nice.

Welcome, to my domain.

My Email is: Henrz.me@hotmail.com

kthx.
posted 01 November 2010 06:29 PM EDT (US)     11 / 35  

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.
posted 01 November 2010 07:05 PM EDT (US)     12 / 35  
SO THATS WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE!???

grats bro

"I NED MOAR RANGE" Pubby8
posted 01 November 2010 07:19 PM EDT (US)     13 / 35  
Congrats Thymole!

Yes, I began my journey alone, and I ended it alone.
But that does not mean that I walked alone. ~ Brandon Sanderson
posted 01 November 2010 07:29 PM EDT (US)     14 / 35  
Wise words, Thymole. I especially get killed in the details myself and expand a small project into a behemoth
And combine that personality with mine and what you get is a map that could likely have changed the face of scen design, and it gets split up in several bad-ass sections that end up never being finished because of too much eye for detail (at the wrong moment) :P
posted 01 November 2010 08:45 PM EDT (US)     15 / 35  
Congratz moley.

"I even heard rumors of a return of the SST (hint, hint..)" - Elrich

You heard it folks... Spam him until he makes a new SST thread!
posted 01 November 2010 09:15 PM EDT (US)     16 / 35  
Bout time.

I need to think of a new sig.
posted 02 November 2010 04:26 AM EDT (US)     17 / 35  
Congratulations, certainly well deserved.

1. Perfection is impossible.
2. Nothing is impossible.
3. There are always exceptions.
posted 02 November 2010 09:00 AM EDT (US)     18 / 35  
Good job and a few wise words
posted 02 November 2010 09:12 AM EDT (US)     19 / 35  
posted 02 November 2010 10:02 AM EDT (US)     20 / 35  
THYMOLE is a cool guy.
hmm... no sarcasm...? Thanks buddy
That's something I still try to do from time to time. Last I remember, you were working on La Villa Strangiato?
Bah, god damn Lifeson for that! :P
I got everything in the song memorized, and so close! But I just cant get up to his speed. Like, maybe 15bpm too slow. >:0

I'm ditzing around with Analog Kid now...
Are you that Lukas?
Yeah!

oh, wait no. no im not. whoops...
I can't believe Visions is your only file in the downloads section! You really need to finish and release Starship Ultra and Minigames someday.
Yeah, and to be honest i REALLY dont like Visions :/
Its too, meh-ish.
*Feels satisfied about being the only one to know he's Mole and not Thy*
Yeah I suppose i should clarify here. If i sign a post thy, it isnt me. Otherwise assume its me. She sticks around dofh anyway.

@everyone else: Thanks guys, y'all rock!
posted 02 November 2010 12:22 PM EDT (US)     21 / 35  
I'm ditzing around with Analog Kid now...
Good luck with that guitar solo.. I think that one, Farewell to Kings and one in Natural Science have his fastest linear runs that I can think of.

Too many hands on my time
Too many feelings --
Too many things on my mind
When I leave I don`t know
What I`m hoping to find
When I leave I don`t know
What I`m leaving behind

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
Find the blood inside this stone
Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
posted 02 November 2010 12:34 PM EDT (US)     22 / 35  
yeah

I'll give it a shot, but i really just wanted to try that main riff. Thats cool stuff XD
posted 03 November 2010 08:26 AM EDT (US)     23 / 35  
Hey I was about losing this, I just had a look at the QT today and saw you were just MotMed.
Well congratulations mate

P.S. I feel your Mole Paradox as mine too, as I've done a Minigames map. I feel like Minigames Y sucks and I have to get rid of some bugs and reduce lag, but I never want/have time to do it. And the more I wait, the less I'm willingly to do it, as ESO is falling.

Utilities || Map Tool 3.1 Inventory Triggers MP Triggers Comic AoM
RandomMaps || Mad Supremacy Escape Your Mates Escape
Scenarios || Bomberman Minigames Y 2.0 Convert & Fight
Games || Bullet Demo Ball Bouncer 3D
WRP_Beater: "Meglio una gallina oggi che un uovo domani."
My name has been misspelled 132 times (Last: BSU_DoLhades Best: Lostrozzabercrombie In a row: 5)
posted 03 November 2010 02:49 PM EDT (US)     24 / 35  
I liked minigames y

I always felt it was more to the point than mine
posted 03 November 2010 04:22 PM EDT (US)     25 / 35  
What about the X .

The key with any big map like that is to think hard about a really efficient system to minimise your workload.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Halls of Valhalla » Member Of The Month: October 2010
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames