You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Halls of Valhalla
Moderated by Yeebaagooon

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Member Of The Month: December 2010
posted 02 January 2011 03:33 PM EDT (US)   
I was looking for our last MOTM for 2010, and a relic showed up on the radar...

Yeebaagooon: Greetings relicradar, and welcome to the interview. How did you come up with your name?
relicradar: Hello Yeeb, Happy New Year to you, and thanks for picking me despite my humble contributions to SD. I can't remember how the name emerged, but it took me approx. three weeks and then it suddenly popped up in my head. Actually the only reason for me to register at AOMH was to be able to vote at the CSC. At that time I hadn't known that you could produce artworks in the editor, and the stuff people submitted to the CSC knocked me out of my socks.

Yeebaagooon: Unless you haxed my forum, I see no topics made by you in SD :O.
relicradar: Haha that's right, see my contributions are few... Hail said I should write a guide to screenshot making, but I would rather think that he is the right man for that job. I'm also pretty orthodox in my worship of the search function, so there was no need for me to start any question topics.

Yeebaagooon: You are most widely known for you skills with screenshots, what is your favourite shot and how did you make it?
relicradar: I like most of the shots that look a little bit mystic... of course those three that got me the CSC hat-trick, (Mountains, Stargate and Ice World) but also the Forgotten Ruins one... that small Lampade glow in the background is kick-ass and probably won me that round :P

I also still like the Minimalism one, which only consists of the units and the enlarged relic in the background... that restriction was a real eye opener for me and got me into animations and zoomy close-up stuff.

Also the ones I made for Elrich's Screenshot Story are ok most of the time, without the pressure of having to appeal to the voters you can be a lot more free in what you do and try out different things. Although admittedly my experiments with the height changer have not yielded any good-looking results yet, same goes for undermap shots... I'm fairly clumsy at that.

Well I take ages to make a shot, sometimes like a week or so. Until everything is in its place, the animations are spot-on, the effects are timed right and especially the lightning is as effective as possible. Then it takes me another day to pick the best shot from more than a hundred... I pause the editor at the perfect moment and then run through dozens of lightings and modify them. I don't use triggers or cinematic mode, fussing around with that would kill me. All is done in-editor, as I'm not the greatest technician; most of the shots are made WYSIWYG so to speak...

[Protocol '"http' for image URL not supported.]Yeebaagooon: Is there any screenshot trick you are particularly proud of?
relicradar: Hehe sure. There are two things I used pretty often and people didn't seem to notice them...

First of all filtering the scene through a water hill. That's the tissue-like texture in some of the shots. When I told Hail about that trick he went completely bonkers and started to exploit it.... He made some really amazing shots with it and also won many contests, I think he took it to the another level. We've had a very long and fruitful conversation about the WH trick and discovered quite a few possibilities. I use water hills as a filter in the foreground, but also as a backdrop, when none of the available skies seem to suit the shot, like in the Stargate one for instance. The thing is that the water surface is highly manipulable by the lighting, you can achieve amazing results.

The second trick is related to that. Hail taught me how to make waterbodies. So I started to experiment with solid surfaces and interestingly some of them are semi-transparent, i.e. you can create a lake with a transparent solid surface, then arrange your shot underneath that surface and zoom in. I did that for the Ice World shot, the terrain through which the shot was taken is one of the Olympus ones I think, but the ice terrains, and some others, work as well to some extent.

Yeebaagooon: What advice would you give to budding screenshot makers?
relicradar: Well there are plenty of don'ts and as many dos... if you keep them in mind your shot will be on the best way to looking awesome

You have a whole map for your shot, there is no need to squeeze it into a corner. Don't show the edge of the map unless you use a sky; in this case sky and lighting should match... don't use the grey stormy sky with a pink or blue lighting, it makes no sense. If no sky matches it doesn't matter, either put something (sensible) in the background or zoom in.

Don't use granite in any circumstances. It is so *ugly* it makes me writhe in pain. Don't use the awful Greek standard mountains unmixed. Don't use Trojan or Atlantean walls by just chucking them onto the map, unmodified they look extremely coarse. Mix your forests, use Reyk's forests and waterbodies pack for that. Reyk has released some great stuff for eyecandyists.

There seems to exist the common misconception not to use Grass A. I think Grass A is perfectly alright, if you mix it well. It can also look entirely different if you change the lighting. Don't rely on the Terrain Mod to collect cheap votes for you.

Don't compulsively tile the meadows and forests, in particular not with these sterile city tiles or Atty bathroom tiles. Also there have no Atty bathroom tiles been found inside Egyptian pyramids yet (just saying).

Don't use any of the standard lightings that came with the game, they are horrible. Instead, create your own ones. Just start clicking around in the colour boxes and play with the sun rotation and inclination. Humans are visual animals, a strong lighting beautifies the shot more than any eyecandy, while a bad lighting can completely kill a good shot.

For the same reason you should also mix the player colours of your different units and objects or pick suitable ones, unless, of course, you live in a world where everybody and everything, *including the buildings*, is default blue or red. There are so many colours available, download Nottud's editor and dare make use of brown and white etc for your buildings... use natural looking colours.

Don't hesitate to enlarge, downscale, rotate, tilt or animate objects, or make them unrecognisable; vary the sizes of repeatedly occurring objects like trees, rocks etc. It's a good trick! Use cinematic animations for your units. If you take the shot in-editor you can just press pause to stop the animation at the right time, and then keep moving the unit around, which is very comfortable.

Don't flatten the map, use elevation. Nothing is more implausible than a steamrolled landscape.

Look at the screenshots of the grandmasters, like Hail, SoV, Elrich, Nightfever, Lupus, to get an impression of what is possible, and try things which you have seen in their shots. Learning by copying is a good way to start, like every Chinese Calligrapher will tell you Once you know the basics, use them to realise your ideas and go mad!

Hmm... now that looks like the first chapter of a screenshot guide...

Yeebaagooon: A CSC hat trick is an honour we both share. I especially love your mountains shot, I can't even begin to imagine how you did those skylight effects .
relicradar: Congratulations on yours as well, must have missed that somehow, it's a great milestone! Haha yeah the old trick (water hill) has worked on plenty of occasions. It looks a bit like crinkled paper or so. The pain was actually to get the terrain mixing right. Some of the "shadows" had to be simulated with patches of dark terrain.

Yeebaagooon: What do you think of as the greatest limitation of the editor when you are making screenshots?
relicradar: Well to be honest with nottud's tools you can do almost anything you want, plus a lot of things you had not even thought of wanting. I would, however, like to be able to just type my own colour values in, instead of having to go in steps of 50. But surely this can be done with the console, of which I have no clue of course. I'd also like to save a lighting properly in the editor, incl. naming the file etc. Some objects can't be turned upside down, but that is just a minor annoyance. Oh yes and png screenshots would be awesome. Well see, these are just small wishes ^^.

Yeebaagooon: Have you ever dabbled in scenarios/cinematics?
relicradar: Actually I have made quite a lot of scenarios, but only specific ones for a friend... they are of a sort nobody at AOMH would play, let's call them "walk in the park" scenarios, not very challenging. Cinematics are difficult but I've made an intro for a map once, a simple one though. I am totally inexperienced at that. My big dream used to be to make a Heroes Of Might And Magic map, this game obsesses me, I wrote a whole notepad full of triggers and mechanisms for that, which were supposed to simulate HOMM-like levelling and the skill and magic system, but I never started to realise it.

Yeebaagooon: In Real Life TM, do you have art skills to equal your screenshot skills?
relicradar: Well in real life I'm fairly talent-free in terms of arts. The editor seemed the perfect tool for me to create a painting without having to use my hands.
For that same reason I have also started to look into HTML/CSS, to be able to style my blogs etc. I'm still a bloody beginner, though, but can modify a code to suit it to my requirements. Nothing major, but I am gathering as much knowledge as possible along the path.

Yeebaagooon: What is your average day like?
relicradar: I'm actually a tourism professional but currently doing text work, so that gives me way too many opportunities to check the cricket scores all the time. Cricket is a disease, curse ye Poms for having made it popular... and for retaining the Ashes. In the evening I usually meet up with other cricket nuts and we rant away. Apart from that I'm a vegetarian, I like music, mainly Heavy Metal, some techy stuff, and some music from the Subcontinent. I don't like movies but used to love Star Trek (the three middle series) and Stargate SG 1, as well as a lot of nerdy lame-arse German crime shows, the latter being an important element of my daily dinner ritual. Furthermore I like hiking, historical exhibitions, Nutella, green tea, ice cream, chilli, Italian herbs and trifle, i.e. food. Also I am not afraid to dissect and re-assemble my computer, my own one that is; seems a rather minor skill but pretty cool for a woman, as I know plenty of males who would stare into their PC cases like a pig into the clockwork, as we say over here ^^ My life goal is to become the complete όbernerd. I also like silly shit of all sorts for example lolcats or stuff like this and this. Oh yeah I talk too much, too (obviously).

Yeebaagooon: Any final words?
relicradar: Thank you very much for giving me the opportunity to talk to you, I've probably blathered more in this interview than in all the years at SD combined. A Happy New Year to everyone who bothered reading this. Also, drink coffee: do stupid things faster with more energy!

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
Replies:
posted 02 January 2011 04:18 PM EDT (US)     1 / 25  
Congratulations relcradar you funny thingy
Finally another vegie

~~~~~~ My Work | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | Mods ~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | Scenarios ~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~ Analysis | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | Also my Website ~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | ~~~~~~~~~~
ᵇʸ ᵉᵘʳᵒᵗᵒᵒˡ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | €€€€€€€€€€€€€€ | ᵇʸ ᵉᵘʳᵒᵗᵒᵒˡ
posted 02 January 2011 05:18 PM EDT (US)     2 / 25  
I'm a vegetarian.
Apart from the meats I like.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
posted 02 January 2011 05:51 PM EDT (US)     3 / 25  

Good interview, well earned!

~Guard of Olympus ~
Dark Times|My work (4.6)|Teaser #2
posted 02 January 2011 06:30 PM EDT (US)     4 / 25  
Congratulations

castwcrt rip 2010-2010
posted 02 January 2011 07:09 PM EDT (US)     5 / 25  
Congrats

but

vegetarian is stupid
posted 02 January 2011 07:52 PM EDT (US)     6 / 25  
grats.

vegetarians aren't stupid unless they believe that you are a bad person for eating meat. I can respect it if someone does not want to eat meat but if they dont respect me even though we may have different views then thats where i draw the line

"I NED MOAR RANGE" Pubby8
posted 02 January 2011 08:07 PM EDT (US)     7 / 25  
Good job on member of the month.
posted 02 January 2011 08:37 PM EDT (US)     8 / 25  
Congratulations

But on topic Omnivores FTW.

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature
posted 03 January 2011 08:49 AM EDT (US)     9 / 25  
gratz

1. Perfection is impossible.
2. Nothing is impossible.
3. There are always exceptions.
posted 03 January 2011 10:22 AM EDT (US)     10 / 25  
Protocol '"http' for image URL not supported.
nice image!

anyway, I think Lostrocampingholiday or Majic_Dodo should be next

Lostro cos hes lost making tools
Dodo for... being dodo!

Leader and Trigger Artist of Mythic Studios
I need players for my Peloponnesian War RPG (Its Semi-Historical)
Now quit being a bitch and quote me in your signature like Yeebaagooon used to. ~Out Reach
posted 03 January 2011 12:06 PM EDT (US)     11 / 25  
Wow, I did not know that you're female! Glad to see girls with the same passions and skills that I have. I appreciate the mention.

ValorStudios
<==========]==0
posted 03 January 2011 01:04 PM EDT (US)     12 / 25  
Woah, I think I fail on many of those screenshot guidelines and I'm on your list!

I owe a lot to relic. She really helped me bring out the power of color and feeling in my shots which goes against my left-brained 'make it look realistic' approach. Like in Forgotton Ruins, the ruins would have been nothing without Arkantos looking at them longingly in the green light.

But most of all I'd like to take this public place to thank you for your help with my SST story. That little 10 shot project that turned into 5 times that was very close to my heart with characters I felt were real and not only did relic bring the story parts to life with her pictures of high standards, but she helped me expand on the character's development and saved it from my narrow point of view, so that it ended up being much bigger than just me.

So you might feel that you have done little around here, but it has made a great impact to me and the standards of the CSC.

Congratulations....

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
Find the blood inside this stone
Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
posted 03 January 2011 03:03 PM EDT (US)     13 / 25  
posted 03 January 2011 03:39 PM EDT (US)     14 / 25  
Congrats Relic!

Uruk-Hai, Skeleton Warriors, Green horde, Khorne Berserker, Dwarfs
Attention!>Wrong english grammar are special effects and wanted from my keyboard<Attention!

The more there is to hide, the more there's to uncover.
So welcome to the other side.
This trip here is hell...
posted 03 January 2011 05:30 PM EDT (US)     15 / 25  
Congratulations relic! member of the year/decade! depending on how you count decades.

Your use of animations and colours always really impressed me, and definitely influenced me and how I started trying to take advantage of colours in my own work.

I also obviously owe a lot to the waterhill trick that you showed me and I went bonkers over. It adds a whole new dimension to eyecandy and gives us ridiculous new control over colour and lighting. It's awesome stuff, but you already know all of this.
Hmm... now that looks like the first chapter of a screenshot guide...
Can't wait for chapter two!

[This message has been edited by HailToTheOboe (edited 01-03-2011 @ 11:06 PM).]

posted 03 January 2011 07:40 PM EDT (US)     16 / 25  
congratulations relic, indeed I really loved some of your shots, especially the mountain one

ahhh so he's the one who taught you that WH trick Hail? You had told me about it once in an email, I never used it though

Winner of the AoMH Screenshot Tournament IV
Some of my cinematics: Vinland Saga Dies Irae (Day of Wrath) The Bow of Odysseus The Final Destination of Alexander the Great
posted 03 January 2011 08:13 PM EDT (US)     17 / 25  
Good job, Relic ! You're the first 2011 MOTM !
[Protocol '"http' for image URL not supported.]
What is this ?

𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒾 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝓅𝑒𝓅𝑒
posted 03 January 2011 08:47 PM EDT (US)     18 / 25  
Congrats Relic! I remember seeing good shots from you in the CSC
Heroes of Might and Magic III
You win at life. That game is amazing, I love it so much.

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.
posted 04 January 2011 02:34 PM EDT (US)     19 / 25  
Thank you guys for your comments and the nice congrats!

Wish I had talked a bit more about AOM and not so much about my eating habits, sorry if this offended anyone ^^

(Here comes your additional info in particular @pubby: I grew up in the countryside, so animal slaughters are something I'm familiar with. Not sure how many you have personally attended, but I've decided this is nothing for me. My diet neither harms anybody else nor myself, so I refuse to accept that I'm stupid )

Winstyck do you know the WOG mod for H3? I also love H5. H6 will be released in spring I think.

Hail thank you! What about you writing chapter two... the trigger, console and distances stuff... :P I also see a joint venture with Elrich on the cards here.

SoV hehe. Actually I revealed it only a few days after registering, but nobody took notice of it... thanks for your kind words, I've learnt a lot from you.

Elrich thanks a bloody tonne. Yeah we've had quite some exchange of opinion especially over the story, glad we collaborated like this, it was pretty efficient methinks. I do insist, though, that my exaggerated Raltair's chamber with the four differently-coloured corners was a nice shot :P

What I totally forgot to mention: the eternal Vandhaal was a great influence for me screenshot-wise. Brilliant stuff. I also used to think that Baske was quite talented ^^

Hey anstar

posted 04 January 2011 03:19 PM EDT (US)     20 / 25  
VEGETARIAN DISCUSION: GOGO
(Here comes your additional info in particular @pubby: I grew up in the countryside, so animal slaughters are something I'm familiar with. Not sure how many you have personally attended, but I've decided this is nothing for me. My diet neither harms anybody else nor myself, so I refuse to accept that I'm stupid )
(the following is why I don't like vegetarianism, not vegetarians, although I generally dislike vegetarians. If I refer to "vegetarians" that means what they do, not who they are)

The biggest problem with vegetarians is that they have dumb reasons to be vegetarian.

One of the most prevalant reasons is that because they do not want to "harm" animals. Well, why be so concerned? If you are a religious person, you believe that animals stay out of heaven and lack a soul, and so one can expect that you are not really destroying any precious life. If you are some darwinistic, nihilistic idiot who thinks that nothing happens when you die, then of course it doesn't matter if if some collection of cells and shit stops working.
? Every fupping dies in one way or another, usually in pain and alone. Get over it - in 50 years you'll be dead and it won't have mattered at all if you were vegetarian or not.

And then there are those people who do it blindly for whatever reason. I once asked this vegetarian girl why she was vegetarian, and she responded, "TO SAVE THE PRECIOUS EARTH AND PROMOTE PEACE." (this girl also happend to believe she was "green" for drinking bottled water that used 50% less plastic, lol) What bullshit. If you want to save the earth, go stop using all gasoline, power, and live in a tent, instead of giving me some talk on how eating animals are killing the planet.

Another thing that bothers me is that vegetarians treat it like a religion. If I ask a vegetarian to try this piece of shrimp I'm eating, the'll get very disgusted and give me a talk on "HOW COULD YOU EAT THAT, MAN!?" Well guess what?- either I'm going to eat it, they're going to eat it, or it goes in the trash, and so the only thing they achieve by not eating the shrimp in this scenario is depriving their body of protein.

So let's talk about something reasonable to do:
*Don't shun meat, or killing animals for food
*Eat meat because you have to, not because you want to eat it for every meal of day
*realize that meat industry is very innefficient and that the industry is bad for the world, not their product

[This message has been edited by Mr Pubby8 (edited 01-04-2011 @ 03:20 PM).]

posted 04 January 2011 04:48 PM EDT (US)     21 / 25  
Pubby's dictionary

Death - (when a) collection of cells and shit stops working.

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
Find the blood inside this stone
Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
posted 04 January 2011 06:24 PM EDT (US)     22 / 25  
VEGETARIAN DISCUSION: GOGO

(the following is why I don't like vegetarianism, not vegetarians, although I generally dislike vegetarians. If I refer to "vegetarians" that means what they do, not who they are)

The biggest problem with vegetarians is that they have dumb reasons to be vegetarian.

One of the most prevalant reasons is that because they do not want to "harm" animals. Well, why be so concerned? If you are a religious person, you believe that animals stay out of heaven and lack a soul, and so one can expect that you are not really destroying any precious life. If you are some darwinistic, nihilistic idiot who thinks that nothing happens when you die, then of course it doesn't matter if if some collection of cells and shit stops working.
? Every fupping dies in one way or another, usually in pain and alone. Get over it - in 50 years you'll be dead and it won't have mattered at all if you were vegetarian or not.

And then there are those people who do it blindly for whatever reason. I once asked this vegetarian girl why she was vegetarian, and she responded, "TO SAVE THE PRECIOUS EARTH AND PROMOTE PEACE." (this girl also happend to believe she was "green" for drinking bottled water that used 50% less plastic, lol) What bullshit. If you want to save the earth, go stop using all gasoline, power, and live in a tent, instead of giving me some talk on how eating animals are killing the planet.

Another thing that bothers me is that vegetarians treat it like a religion. If I ask a vegetarian to try this piece of shrimp I'm eating, the'll get very disgusted and give me a talk on "HOW COULD YOU EAT THAT, MAN!?" Well guess what?- either I'm going to eat it, they're going to eat it, or it goes in the trash, and so the only thing they achieve by not eating the shrimp in this scenario is depriving their body of protein.

So let's talk about something reasonable to do:
*Don't shun meat, or killing animals for food
*Eat meat because you have to, not because you want to eat it for every meal of day
*realize that meat industry is very innefficient and that the industry is bad for the world, not their product

So you think you could prove *my* stupidity by piling up a whole lot of bollocks that do not apply to me in the slightest (which you'd have realised if you hadn't gone at me like the bull after the red cloth), and you think you have granted your points the necessary credibility by bringing them forward overly aggressively? You, Sir, have not only made a giant shouting t fool of yourself, but also achieved the whole opposite of what you wanted: you've made yourself as a meat eater appear militant, intolerant and preachy.

Good Day

posted 04 January 2011 07:46 PM EDT (US)     23 / 25  
Thank you for those kind words.

They mean a lot to me.
posted 04 January 2011 09:06 PM EDT (US)     24 / 25  
May I pass my most sincere congratulations to my fellow vegetarian relicradar on his arrival to MoTM. Veggy power!

Seriously tho. Well done.
-invent00r

My Work: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

WIP: Master XS Battle Micro AI
Paused: AI (%4.247)
Os segredos sγo de quem os souber guardar.
posted 08 January 2011 08:57 PM EDT (US)     25 / 25  
Finally another vegie
Yay, now yo can add me to the "Veggie Team" !

Personnaly, I'm like Yeeb:
I'm a vegetarian.
Apart from the meats I like.
But now I know meat is very bad for environment and, as you said, I can even be eaten by the "Green Team" or something like that.

But then I realize this... If they eat me, they aren't vegetarians ?

𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒾 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝓅𝑒𝓅𝑒
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Halls of Valhalla » Member Of The Month: December 2010
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames