Please login or register

Halls of Valhalla
Moderated by Yeebaagooon

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Member Of The Month: June 2011
posted 01 July 2011 04:16 AM EDT (US)   
We have a jack of all trades taking up the coveted MOTM trophy this month, I present Winstyk!

Yeebaagooon: Welcome to the halls of MOTM Winstyck. Why Shnozwick?
Winstyck: Well, I just made the name up one time. I heard someone talking about their pet named Boswick and it sounded like a cool name. (I was younger) So I sort of put that into the name as you can see. And I picked Winston just because its a cool name. Winston Churchill ftw

Yeebaagooon: Indeed. *Raises two fingers*
Out Reach: Wrong way, Yeeb.
Yeebaagooon: So Winston is not your real name?
Winstyck: No, it isn't. And I'm not sure how to react to the first part of that...

Yeebaagooon: Now you have been known in SD for many things, and the foremost may well be Nomadican - your project with Jack D P. Could you tell us about it?
Winstyck: Nomadican was a pretty cool concept, I suppose you could thank Jack for the inspiration that gave me the original idea. I was searching old SD threads for cool tricks in the editor, and I came across a thread jack made showing how to turn ox carts into buildings and back via chat command (very simple now that I think of it). So I expanded on it a bit, and started emailing jack. He agreed to be a partner in it and we had many emails back and forth on the various aspects of the game, storyline, unit stats, and such. Jack is the one to thank for the map, he made the whole thing, all of the eyecandy and design. I did triggering. Nomadican is completely stand alone, just the scenario to download, and besides the originality, the main boast is replayability value.

Yeebaagooon: And what would you consider your greatest triggering feat?
Winstyck: Hmm. I think that in Nomadican, many of the complex systems like shaman powers, or the constantly randomizing berserker stats, would be considered quite difficult but well done. I've also made some pretty cool feats in triggering in my current scenario, but I personally value the custom trigger effect I made; Resize Unit(s), pretty highly. Its a really cool effect ingame to resize units.

Yeebaagooon: Love triggering powers . So yes, you create your own triggers too. The resize one as you said sounds pretty fun, but are there any downsides to it?
Winstyck: A few times it infinitely sized a unit because it forgot the stop sizing command in the trigger, but I'd blame that to computer lag messing up the triggering. So it can mess up if your computer is really slow at times I think.

Yeebaagooon: And just how tricky was it for you to learn to dabble in XS coding?
Winstyck: I wouldnt say I'm much of a coder, I really only learned it for a while to make some triggers, but I downloaded a few guides from AoMH to learn, and also copied existing triggers to see how they work, and it wasnt too hard once i learned it. I dont really do that anymore though, I do scenarios.

Yeebaagooon: So what are you working on at the moment?
Winstyck: Currently I'm working on an rpg scenario, I've dropped a few hints to that in SD. Yes, another rpg, many people are probably dissapointed because of the "RPG phase" that sd went through for a while. I was highly inspired by Jondoom's Bravesword and Perpetual's The Wizard's Path, and I'm putting many cool features into the scenario to make sure that it will be a notable rpg like the before ones ^^.
Lewonas, a member of SD, is helping me playtest it during my development of it, and it's been going along quite well. The map size is a 450 by 450 I believe, and I've almost finished the second town. It's going along nicely.

Yeebaagooon: Sounds fun. Now another area where you can turn your hands to is screenshots, as you've entered Hocus Pocus a couple of times. What processes do you go through when making screenshots?
Winstyck: Screenshots are a bit difficult to me. I've made some notable ones before, but no matter how hard I try I can never reach that "artistic" look that really good designers in SD can get to. :/
Once I think of a concept, I start with the terrain first, then go through objects and sfx's. I think my difference from the majority of other screenshot artists is that I tend to use unit animations in almost all of my screenies, and I take all of my shots in the editor, instead of playtesting and printscreening.

Yeebaagooon: Snap. Is there a favourite screenshot that you've done?
Winstyck: My first screenshot, that also won the CSC, was one I really like and thought had a cool idea in it.

That would be my second favorite. I also get bored with ideas sometimes and just feel like trying to make a screenshot on my own time, and of those I definately like Norman Keep the most.

Yeebaagooon: So what's your average day like?
Winstyck: Summer right now for me, so I usually wake up around 9 to 11 in the morning and get on the computer for a while. I read occasionally, I'm going through a copy of the Illiad right now. I have lunch around 1 to 3, and just have an easy time overall, since I'm out of school. I've been caught up in Pokemon Online lately (shoutout to blatant!), and I play other strategy computer games as well.

Yeebaagooon: Nice. Any plans for the future?
Winstyck: Nope not really.

Yeebaagooon: Well thanks for taking part in this interview Winston :P!
Winstyck: No problem.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
Replies:
posted 01 July 2011 05:18 AM EDT (US)     1 / 17  
Congrats Winston.

"I even heard rumors of a return of the SST (hint, hint..)" - Elrich

You heard it folks... Spam him until he makes a new SST thread!
posted 01 July 2011 06:58 AM EDT (US)     2 / 17  
WOO I somehow ended up in the interview

Congrats Winstyck

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature
posted 01 July 2011 06:58 AM EDT (US)     3 / 17  
posted 01 July 2011 07:04 AM EDT (US)     4 / 17  
Congrats Winstyck.
PS I was also inspired by Brave Sword and The Wizard's path.
They are awesome RPGs.
I play other strategy computer games as well.
Do you play Astro Empires?

[This message has been edited by Spike Dragon (edited 07-01-2011 @ 07:22 AM).]

posted 01 July 2011 07:49 AM EDT (US)     5 / 17  
I maded you a cookie but i eated it :O

Maker of Age of mythology Reviews and Total War Reviews
http://www.youtube.com/user/necrontyr1800
posted 01 July 2011 08:35 AM EDT (US)     6 / 17  
Congratulations. Also the tie your wearing in the picture looks my school tie.
posted 01 July 2011 10:00 AM EDT (US)     7 / 17  
euronzo shoulda been motm imo.

4:45 PM - Papaya: can I say that I want to put a ****ing knife in his throat and then take it back

If you don't like it here, we're not making you stay, so please, feel free to leave so Hook and I can make love to each other in peace.~ Shanks
posted 01 July 2011 10:39 AM EDT (US)     8 / 17  
Also the tie your wearing in the picture looks my school tie.
I have a feeling they're all the same.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
posted 01 July 2011 10:57 AM EDT (US)     9 / 17  
I've been caught up in Pokemon Online lately (shoutout to blatant!)
Congrats!

Yes, I began my journey alone, and I ended it alone.
But that does not mean that I walked alone. ~ Brandon Sanderson
posted 01 July 2011 12:32 PM EDT (US)     10 / 17  
posted 01 July 2011 01:03 PM EDT (US)     11 / 17  
Congrats!
You did notice!

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.
posted 01 July 2011 03:06 PM EDT (US)     12 / 17  
Nice!!

castwcrt rip 2010-2010
posted 01 July 2011 04:48 PM EDT (US)     13 / 17  
Congratulations! You definitely deserved this.

My Work: Zombie Goliath texture mod -- My Screenshots -- Current Projects: Lost In Darkness
Member of: Black Ice Studios
____
|0..0|
||||
posted 01 July 2011 06:54 PM EDT (US)     14 / 17  
Congratulations! You definitely deserved this.
maybe once I release my rpg

Tired of unorigional, boring campaigns? Try out DEMO|Legacy - The Uprising|DEMO
Completely New Gameplay. Random Map Type Replayability. Delve into Nomadican|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Want to know how to use triggers and/or create amazing factors in your scenarios? You need Combination Effects|FEATURES|DOWNLOAD|
Automaton Metals Textures, New Custom Triggers
Upcoming Projects: Legacy - The Uprising, Destiny
6/12/1997, a day that will live in infamy.
posted 03 July 2011 05:13 PM EDT (US)     15 / 17  
Congrats Winstyck
Interesting interview.
euronzo shoulda been motm imo.
Agrees

Actually I just had a break in the break, next time you'll see me will be in far away the future.

I leave with this picture of prince William when he looks at the airplane with the banner "Free Québec !" that passed in the sky during his speech at Qc City
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/03/prince-william-canada-protest-quebec

𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒾 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝓅𝑒𝓅𝑒
posted 03 July 2011 07:41 PM EDT (US)     16 / 17  
An aeroplane at ground level?

Please go away, you said you would.

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back.
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.
But you can't take the sky from me...
posted 04 July 2011 11:58 PM EDT (US)     17 / 17  
Congratulations, dude. Long live the RPG!

In all your science of the mind, seeking blind through flesh and bone
Find the blood inside this stone
Well, I know I've never shown what I feel, I've always known
I plan my vengeance on my own - and I was always alone
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Halls of Valhalla » Member Of The Month: June 2011
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames