You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Making a unit transform
posted 08 January 2003 09:05 PM EDT (US)   
When you extract the data.bar file, there is a file called unittransform.xmb. You can convert this to .xml and open it up in wordpad or another program of choice. It will appear like this....

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<unittransforms>
<transform>
<from>Wall Long</from>
<to>Gate</to>
</transform>
<transform>
<from>Villager Norse</from>
<to>Ulfsark</to>
</transform>
<transform>
<from>Dwarf</from>
<to>Ulfsark</to>
</transform>
</unittransforms>

This info is for when you're playing the game and you have a unit that can change to another unit. Like when have a long section of wall, you can make it a gate. Well, you can add pretty much any unit you like and have it change to whatever. I added in one, take a look..

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<unittransforms>
<transform>
<from>Wall Long</from>
<to>Gate</to>
</transform>
<transform>
<from>Villager Norse</from>
<to>Ulfsark</to>
</transform>
<transform>
<from>Dwarf</from>
<to>Ulfsark</to>
</transform>
<transform>
<from>Minotaur</from>
<to>Centaur</to>
</transform>
</unittransforms>

I added in that a minotaur can change to a centaur. You can also reverse the order so that you could change it back at will. Of couse, for these particular units you need certain resources to change, but if you made your own unit in the proto file, that is easily dealt with. I could make 3 identical units, except their weapons would be different. One has a sword, the other a spear, and last a axe. I could click on this unit and it would look like he is changing weapons. This affects in game, so it's "on-the-fly". Just thought I'd share this.

Replies:
posted 08 January 2003 09:32 PM EDT (US)     1 / 13  
What other incredibly cool secrets do I not know about

This could be reaaaaallly cool I can use it for my monkey mod: baboon, to ape, to monkey, to baboon lol

• >> LKS_Cheeselord >>
  • Proud member of LKS. Click here to join.
  • Member of Arcane Studios, DGDN, and LKSware
  • PROJECTS: Magic Rugs - Cheese Giant - Anim Editor
  • Fear the power of CHEESE!
  • posted 08 January 2003 09:43 PM EDT (US)     2 / 13  
    Very nice find .

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
    posted 08 January 2003 10:19 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13  
    I made a new hawk unit in the proto file (one that you could control) and then made a unit that could change into the hawk fly over whatever and then change back. Good for getting into those hard to reach areas.
    posted 08 January 2003 11:47 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13  
    Hey Ra, do you have MSN Messenger? I have no one to talk to

• >> LKS_Cheeselord >>
  • posted 09 January 2003 00:27 AM EDT (US)     5 / 13  
    that is pretty cool, might have some real application.

I am having trouble figuring it out. I implemented your code, but I don't know how to trigger transformation.

Another problem is putting it in a scenario and being beset by whining idiots who don't know how to fix it.

(I added your IM's Cheese )

_________________.##@@$$$@@##._____________
    ______________,##@$::%$$%%::$@##.__________
    ____________#@$:%%000000000%%:$@#_________
    ___________#@$:%00'___________'00%:$@#_______
    __________#@$:%0'_______________'0%:$@#______
    _________#@$:%0__________________0%:$@#_____
    posted 09 January 2003 02:04 AM EDT (US)     6 / 13  
    Hey Death, Sorry if I get "basic" here on you, but just so I can try to cover all the bases. 1 After you make the changes you want, make sure you put this in the data subfolder of the AoM game folder. 2 Go into editor and place down the unit or units that your new file affects.
    3 Playtest the scene and click on one of the units, it should pop up a little icon in the units window. Click on that and it should change to unit you specified.

To disable this, you have to delete the unittransform.xml and the unittransform.xmb (the game makes the .xmb once you started it with the new file in the data folder)

Let me know if you still have problems.

posted 09 January 2003 10:39 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13  
    YAY Death, I finally have a friend!

• >> LKS_Cheeselord >>
  • posted 09 January 2003 01:59 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13  
    Ra u r the coolest. u make so many cool units, i wanna know if u r working on a project with a studio, if so please tell me wut it is. u are great at wut u do. i never got the hang of that. post a website if u r working with someone, please!!
    posted 09 January 2003 04:31 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13  
    HaHa, thanks Rod. In honesty though, I could'nt make anything if it was'nt for people like Ykkrosh and The King of Cheese who pump out these awesome programs. The forumer Obi Wan is putting together a team that I am in, but nothing is currently on the plate. The stuff I do is fairly easy, you should give it try Rod.
    posted 09 January 2003 09:54 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13  
    Hmm I can't seem to get it to work. I did put it in the data folder but it still won't do anything. I'm trying to get a toxote to change into a myrmidon, and a myrmidon to change back into a toxote.
    posted 09 January 2003 10:07 PM EDT (US)     11 / 13  
    How do u make the controlable hawk thing? I could use that.

Exiled
    Battle Dwarves
    Battlefields: Kemsyt's Uprise

Mistacheese wins the "Person-who-secretly-emmits-CheeZy's-thoughts" award - Cheezy
    posted 10 January 2003 05:09 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13  
    Red Storm- Are trying it out in playtest? It won't work in regular editor mode. If you are in playtest, does it give you any "upgrade" icon at all in the units window? Just doublecheck everything and if you still can't get it to work, my email is ggrupp@austin.rr.com

You can send my the unittransform file and I'll see if I can get it to work.

mistacheeese- (what is it with all the "cheese" names) you have to change the hawk in the proto.xml file. You have to delete the lines <flag>ForceToGaia</flag> and <flag>NotSelectable</flag>. NOTE-this will change every hawk in the game. I suggest making a new unit "eagle" or something so it does'nt affect the existing unit.

posted 10 January 2003 06:26 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13  
    thnx ra
    too bad I can't use the "Eagle Warrior" from AoK:TC

oh why cheese?
    well i had to write a report on something i liked, so i chose cheese. my teacher loved it and told everyone.

btw this is a cool trick, good for maybe a weapon change for RPGs

Exiled
    Battle Dwarves
    Battlefields: Kemsyt's Uprise

Mistacheese wins the "Person-who-secretly-emmits-CheeZy's-thoughts" award - Cheezy
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » Making a unit transform
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames