Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, nottud

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The IN-DEPTH Guide to the Proto/Protox File
posted 22 March 2004 07:17 PM EDT (US)   
I have had enough of all the people saying, "Wtf is a protox, how do I install it??!!", even though the answer is right out there. So, hopefully, this will end all the confusion of the proto(x).

The IN-DEPTH Guide to the Proto/Protox File

By Waveslave

Important Preface Facts

• I will refer to the Proto and Protox files as Proto(x). This is because if you are using AoM (Vanilla, No Expansion), you will deal with the Proto file. If you are using AoM: TT (Expansion), you will deal with the Protox file. So, when I say Proto(x), you use the file, Proto or Protox, that applies to you. The two are basically the same, except Protox contains more unit information since it is the expansion version.

• Proto(x) comes in two forms, XML and XMB. XML form is editable and is the form you use when adding information. XMB is the form that goes in the AoM/Data folder, and is read by the program.

• Always back up files that you edit. You never know when you may make a mistake, and screw up the game.

• Contrary to some belief, you can have more than one new unit in your game.

What Exactly is a Proto(x)?

Proto(x) is the file that tells Age of Mythology the info on all the units in the game. It tells the program what the name, stats, and info about a unit, therefore the place to install new units.

Finding Your Proto(x)- in Detail

• To find your Proto(x), you need the program AoMed, available here.

1. The first step in finding your Proto(x) is to install AoMed, and get used to the features. Also, find your AoM path, usually C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Age of Mythology.

2. Open up AoMed. Press "Set Input Data File".

3. At the window, go to your AoM/Data folder, usually C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Age of Mythology/Data. Depending on if you have AoM or AoM: TT, click data.bar if you have AoM, or data2.bar if you have AoM: TT. Press "Open".

4. You will return to the AoMed screen. Now, press "Read Data File". A green window will pop-up, with scrolling text. Let it finish.

5. Now, look in your AoM/Data folder. Several new files have been added to the folder, except they aren't new. They have been encoded into the data(2).bar file, and now they are extracted to mess around with.

Converting the Proto(x)

1. Press "Direct File Conversion".

2. Find your AoM/Data folder. Press the newly-extracted Proto(x).XMB file.

3. A window pops up asking you where you want to save the newly created Proto(x).XML file. You can put it anywhere, but for now let's put it in the AoM/Data folder still.

4. Congratulations! You now have the Proto.XML file, which is used to add or edit unit information.

Editing the Proto(x).XML

Adding New Units

1. First, open up Proto.XML with Notepad, or any other basic text program.

2. Scroll down to the bottom of the document. Be careful not to touch any of the text on the way down.

3. Paste in your unit information between </action> and </unit> at the end of the file.

4. Fix any errors, extra words, or incorrect spacing that might have occurred during pasting, and the end of the file and the beginning of your new unit text is correctly spaced. Use the other units as reference.

5. Change the Unit ID, located here ie: <unit id="810" name="Heavy Archer">, to one more than the unit id above it. So if the unit above "Heavy Archer" had a unit id of 809, then Heavy Archer would be 810.

Other Possible Edits

• To personalize your mod, or to make it more like how you want, edit the stats of your new unit's text in the proto(x).XML. You could do this with the ModifyProtounit trigger, but it would only be temporarily. Lines that would need changing if you want would be <maxvelocity>3.7500</maxvelocity>, how fast your unit runs, <los>22.0000</los>, your unit's sight range, <initialhitpoints>60.0000</initialhitpoints> <maxhitpoints>60.0000</maxhitpoints>, your unit's starting and maximum health, <param name="MaximumRange" value1="20"></param>, if your unit has a ranged attack, and <param name="Damage" type="(Pierce, Hack etc)" value1="6"></param>, for attack damage. Of course there are more lines that can be modified, but those are just the main ones.

Converting Back

1. Press "Direct File Conversion".

2. Choose the Proto(x).XML, which you just edited.

3. Save the newly-converted Proto(x).XMB in the AoM/Data folder. This will take a few minutes, just be patient.

4. If successful, you have just edited your Proto(x) file, and check it out in the editor to see if everything worked.

Afterword

• Editing the Proto(x) is a very precise, delicate operation. One small spacing mistake can lead to an error. If you do recieve an error when converting back, just examine everything back and find your mistake.

Replies:
posted 22 March 2004 08:17 PM EDT (US)     1 / 17  
one good thing to do when looking for special unit effects or new abilities is to go through some MUs, like the Scorpion Man or the Frost Giant or something like that. Using proto together with anim is helping me make a special attack for the titan screaming and throwing back his head and blasting everyone around him with a huge bang. i could make this freeze and poison all of the units around him as well, all through protox.xml.

very nice guide wavey, hope to see more from you since i'm too lazy to write some up

posted 22 March 2004 09:04 PM EDT (US)     2 / 17  
If you set your Javelin Cavalry (aka Turma) to have 20 pierce attack and then go play multiplayer, you will get the now infamous "out of sync" error. What wavey has here shows you how to make new unit(s) stats, but don't try editing the existing ones or you will be sorry.
posted 22 March 2004 09:07 PM EDT (US)     3 / 17  
wow waveslave, how old are you?

I can fool you.

« Previous Page 1 2 3 4 ··· 5 Next Page »

[This message has been edited by Force of Light (edited 04-02-2004 @ 01:42 AM).]

posted 22 March 2004 09:51 PM EDT (US)     4 / 17  
Stickied, do you mind if I upload this to the design library?

posted 22 March 2004 09:57 PM EDT (US)     5 / 17  
xentelian- that is true, I probably should add that.

Force of Light- My birthday's in June, in case you were wondering

xLpx- Thanks, and I'd love it to be in the Design Library

I think my next guide will an In-Depth Look at Sounds, because quite a few people have trouble with them.

[This message has been edited by waveslave610 (edited 03-22-2004 @ 10:01 PM).]

posted 22 March 2004 11:15 PM EDT (US)     6 / 17  
quite ironic because you screwed your sounds up on Gandalf v1.0, but i take it you realized they needed to be in XML format...

well... after i told you

posted 23 March 2004 04:53 AM EDT (US)     7 / 17  
thx for the help

[This message has been edited by Tomb_warrior (edited 03-23-2004 @ 05:08 AM).]

posted 23 March 2004 12:07 PM EDT (US)     8 / 17  
It pretty good, it's only to bad I can't use it. I knew it already.

|| argalius.elpea.net
|| Cherub at AoE3H
|| In honor of FlipBizcut
|| Mod: The Age of Crusades
posted 23 March 2004 02:27 PM EDT (US)     9 / 17  
Your so called "in-depth" guide did not include any of the amazing things you can do with proto. You failed to mentioned how to give units special attacks, all the various special attacks you can define, the various unit flags, types etc etc. This is the bare bones, not an in depth guide.

So, how do we define what building such a unit is built from, where the button is, how to make it regenerate, how to make it recover and just be "knocked out".
I assume you will be editing that guide to actually make it in-depth, as the title so mid-leadingly suggests.

Come back strong like the powered-up pacman.
posted 23 March 2004 04:00 PM EDT (US)     10 / 17  
Great guide
posted 23 March 2004 05:58 PM EDT (US)     11 / 17  
@Esus, this guide wasn't meant to show all the different possible edits of the protox. I wrote it to give a detailed, easy to follow way to install the proto(x), just because so many people were struggling with the installation.

God. So uptight and harsh. What has Theorg and Sod Bich done to you?

posted 24 March 2004 10:32 AM EDT (US)     12 / 17  
Yeah, really sorry, but I've decided to be all harsh and not the friendlyest of peoples on AOMH now.

Quote:

What has Theorg and Sod Bich done to you?

Too much.... too much

Come back strong like the powered-up pacman.
posted 24 March 2004 10:43 AM EDT (US)     13 / 17  
But I agree with Esus_. The guide really doesn't go in depth, it's more a newbie guide. I'm a bit disappointed.

BTW: I think you needn't convert the protox.xml back in *.xmb. It's enough to place the edited *.xml file in the /data folder and to delete the old protox.xmb file. Then, AoM will create a new *.xmb file automatically.

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 03-24-2004 @ 10:57 AM).]

posted 24 March 2004 11:17 AM EDT (US)     14 / 17  
I don't need to convert it?

Yay! I don't have to wait 5 minutes to make a new mod now!

Dnas
Wildfire games 0 A. D. texture artist.
Rest In Peace, Flipbizcut (1979-2005)

[This message may have been edited by Dnas (edited 49-92-4096 @ 42:93 PM).]

posted 24 March 2004 11:25 AM EDT (US)     15 / 17  
Glad to have helped you

Waveslave, could you add that in your guide, since I think most people don't want to wait for 5 minutes until AoMEd has converted it back to *.xmb .

And if you don't believe it, check it out, I've always been working like this and never used AoMEd to convert it back.

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 03-24-2004 @ 12:37 PM).]

posted 24 March 2004 04:50 PM EDT (US)     16 / 17  
posted 02 April 2004 08:23 PM EDT (US)     17 / 17  
Sorry waveslave but I don't feel this is very 'in depth' - there are many flags you could explain about, you can create your own unit classes, give special attacks, abilities etc, many things can be done that aren't really touched in this article.

If it were described as a basic guide rather than an in depth one it couldn't be faulted.

Sith
Halo 2 Stats | AoMH | AoE3H | FMT

[This message has been edited by X_SithLord (edited 04-02-2004 @ 08:24 PM).]

Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » The IN-DEPTH Guide to the Proto/Protox File
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames